Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/civil/heres-where-cancer-fund-of-america-donations-went-while-dying-kids-got/2230231

tl;dr: Guy and his son bilk hundreds of millions of dollars from people claiming they are running a charity for kids with cancer. They ended up doing things like this:

quote:

The Cancer Fund approved one [telemarketing] script saying it never wanted to have to tell a family that it couldn't provide a wig for a child with hair loss because fund-raising goals had fallen short. In fact, the fund did not have a program to provide wigs for children in chemotherapy.

and

quote:

According to the complaint, donations intended for the sick paid for "extravagant insider benefits,'' including cars, college tuition, gym memberships, concert tickets, a Caribbean cruise and trips to Las Vegas and other touristy locales.

"Some charities send children to Disney World,'' South Carolina Secretary of State Mark Hammond said at a Washington, D.C., news conference announcing the complaint. "These charities sent themselves to Disney World.''

and

quote:

But instead of medical treatment or financial help, patients got boxes of sample-size soap, seasonal greeting cards and Little Debbie Snack Cakes.

Forget about how evil these two fuckers are:

obviously "being an evil person" is not against the law. But every article I've read about them mention nothing about jail time. But someone does this and receives prison time. Don't get me wrong, fraudulent coupons is something that should be (and is) a crime.

I am just wondering what I am missing here. The people defrauded aren't even going to get their money back, and the government said they know they aren't going to get 1/200th of the money back.

Speaking of the government, one of the "farewell" messages on the fake cancer charity websites is loving hilarious and takes balls of steel:

http://www.breastcancersociety.org/

(and the best part, in case they remove it, which they would be smart to do):

quote:

Charities – including some of the world’s best-known and reputable organizations – are increasingly facing the scrutiny of government regulators in the U.S. The Breast Cancer Society (TBCS) is no exception. Unfortunately, as our operations expanded – all with the goal of serving more patients – the threat of litigation from our government increased as well.

While the organization, its officers and directors have not been found guilty of any allegations of wrong doing, and the government has not proven otherwise, our Board of Directors has decided that it does not help those who we seek to serve, and those who remain in need, for us to engage in a highly publicized, expensive, and distracting legal battle around our fundraising practices.

James T. Reynolds II
Executive Director

There were numerous reports about them for literal years, and just now the US government finally did something about it. What a useless bunch.

I once knew a guy who got thrown in prison for eBay fraud. But fake charities for kids with cancer? Nope! Nothing. lmfbo .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

freedom of speech imo what they do with that money is up to them

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
gently caress jail time they should get lashes in a public square for that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
once you make the first few million you start to get the special privileges

that's how the USA works :jerkbag:

alice walton killed some dude while driving drunk and didn't get charged with anything. later she drove drunk and crashed again and the prosecutor's office just let the statute of limitations expire and then the arrest was expunged from court records because of a court order.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 21, 2015

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Stealing stops being a crime once you're stealing from enough people at once. That's why they'll send you to jail for stealing a tv but if you deprive an entire generation well then you're an innovator.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

gently caress jail time they should get lashes in a public square for that

Again, there's nothing illegal about being a piece of poo poo.

But I am wondering how this is any different than someone who rips off an old lady or those people who send e-mails claiming they need to send over $20,000 so they can get their relative back from vacation (both are scenarios where people have rightfully been jailed for).

Like why them and not these people is what I am saying.

Was it some weird legal loophole where because he sent little Debbie snack cakes to cancer patients he legally fulfilled his obligation or some poo poo like that?

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
godamn I haven't had little debbie snack in years

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

once you make the first few million you start to get the special privileges

that's how the USA works :jerkbag:

alice walton killed some dude while driving drunk and the prosecutor's office just let the statute of limitations expire and then the arrest was expunged from court records because of a court order.

Yeah but I don't even think these guys bribed anyone because according to the government, they spent it all (read: it's hidden in the Cayman Islands/under a mattress)

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Melmac posted:

Yeah but I don't even think these guys bribed anyone because according to the government, they spent it all (read: it's hidden in the Cayman Islands/under a mattress)

wheres the mattres, Iam going to flip it over and take the money :twisted:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Melmac posted:

The Cancer Fund approved one [telemarketing] script saying it never wanted to have to tell a family that it couldn't provide a wig for a child with hair loss because fund-raising goals had fallen short. In fact, the fund did not have a program to provide wigs for children in chemotherapy.

Genius! The surest way to never have to tell a family you can't provide a wig for children with hairloss is to never provide them in the first place.

Goons, please donate money to me, I never want to have to tell a homeless child that I can't take them to Disneyland!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
in gray areas like this, someone should just kill them

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

in gray areas like this, someone should just kill them

The Navy Seal who killed Osama bin Laden would be perfect for this, even if he got caught the president or whoever could just pardon him.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The Tampa Bay Times did a really good series of articles about terrible charities. They ran two years ago, but the third one covers the charities in the OP.

http://www.tampabay.com/topics/specials/worst-charities1.page

http://www.tampabay.com/topics/specials/worst-charities2.page

http://www.tampabay.com/topics/specials/worst-charities3.page

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
You've come to the right place SA Forums user Melmac; we (GBS denizens), will get to the bottom of this forthwith, and get back to you with the results. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Kuato posted:

You've come to the right place SA Forums user Melmac; we (GBS denizens), will get to the bottom of this forthwith, and get back to you with the results. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

No I was just wondering from a legal standpoint. I know goons aren't going to unleash this story to the masses or whatever you're on about. lol

Wow the article is only from 2 years ago, what a speedy response US government :thumbsup:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Melmac posted:

No I was just wondering from a legal standpoint. I know goons aren't going to unleash this story to the masses or whatever you're on about. lol

It's all over the news already, saw it on CNN today. Anyways, doesn't the FTC just have fining capability, they have to refer it to DoJ for criminal jailtimey stuff?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Melmac posted:

Wow the article is only from 2 years ago, what a speedy response US government :thumbsup:

it takes two years to convict someone of a dwi, im surprised it took that LITTLE time

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
im glad you posted this because i waqs jsut about to give this thing wot you posted some money

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Melmac posted:

"board of directors" just doin as directed, and "corporation is divested of money, and you cant jail it bitch you bitch"

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would never donate to a single charity unless I had personally set it up and even then I'd be iffy about it cause there's always some dickbag or another out to divert stuff to themselves when no one is looking, because people will pat them on the back either way for being a part of it at all.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

basically, one of these things is made up of jail-able bodies and the other is a fart in the wind to be punished by paying money it doesn't have anymore.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

It's all over the news already, saw it on CNN today. Anyways, doesn't the FTC just have fining capability, they have to refer it to DoJ for criminal jailtimey stuff?

I know there's due process and all that but I actually think nothing they did is an actual crime (that would land anyone in jail). I have been pouring over articles and not a single one of them mentioned the possibility of any criminal charges.

Literally scamming cancer kids out of money and people you solicit out of money and people who use fake gift cards get thrown in jail lmbo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"you guys we just need to eliminate welfare and social security and that way charities can step in to fill the blanks"

- actual GOP party position

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

my go to emergency not be homeless plan is to hold up a sign for march of dimes. i remember doing that in college and holy poo poo the amount of money we got at a street corner was amazing. shame we had to actually donate it

black people loved a white kid dancing like a retard so even they opened their wallets

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Charity is for pussies anyway.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Melmac posted:

I know there's due process and all that but I actually think nothing they did is an actual crime (that would land anyone in jail). I have been pouring over articles and not a single one of them mentioned the possibility of any criminal charges.

Literally scamming cancer kids out of money and people you solicit out of money and people who use fake gift cards get thrown in jail lmbo

hence, the corporate veil; these people play board of directors musical chairs and you can't get blood from stone or throw the corp. in prison
and i'm gonna say these are probably close corps, not publicly traded, not subject to the scrutiny of SEC and related fraud laws, etc etc

men have weak man flesh which may be confined.... corporations have money as lifeblood and sometimes that money just all spent up

if you're trying to go individually after BOD members you have to prove more (pierced the corporate hymen/veil, can be said to be acting for their own interests instead of the corps and therefore do not act as the corp. this costs of course more money and time and is onerous for the DOJ unless they got a slamdiggitydunk. they have to use their time and money accordingly and unfortunately jailing business shits under criminal laws just doesn't make the kind of cash actions against the corporation would, if it had money.

there are.... extrajudicial methods available to be used by anybody enterprising and LF enough to accept maoism third worldism

also, lol @ buying kias... "WE BOUGHT REASONABLY PRICED BUSINESS CARS"

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

shame on you grandpa from the wonder years

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
no jailtime. so what

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
p.s.a., if, you want to help people, with your money, and are dissuaded by stories like this:

there's independent charity watchdog organizations, that track where the money goes, effectiveness of programs, transparency, allegations of criminal activity, etc. poo poo like that, trying to make it super easy to avoid poo poo fuckers like the dudes in the op

http://www.give.org/
http://www.charitynavigator.org/
http://www.givewell.org/
https://www.charitywatch.org/

of course all of these organizations, are organizations, and therefore probably also susceptible to corruption, so, cross-reference, etc. etc. you went to school you know how to do research

but i'd say it only takes like maybe 15 minutes to get a pretty good idea of whether or not whatever organization you're considering donating to is on the level.

yeah.

i think, like, maybe people aren't aware of this, probably? or they don't care and just get the immediate benefit of feeling good about donating regardless of whether it actually matters, but i prefer to think they just aren't aware.:angel:

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
fraud = free speech

buyer beware!

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Because they haven't got that far yet. You have to build a case, try, and convict people before the jail time.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cubone posted:

p.s.a., if, you want to help people, with your money, and are dissuaded by stories like this:

ehh I don't give a gently caress about cancer I just want to see rich scumlords getting their heads removed in the streets.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
thank you for raising awareness op, i just donated $50 to the charity you linked, just doing my part to make the world a better place #pinkribbon

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cancer charities interfere with gods plan to kill these children

these men are doing the lords work

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I am not sure how it works in the US. Here in Canada registered charities must submit an annual charity return (T3010) which is a detailed package of forms outlining what activities the charity does, how it raises funds, where these funds come from, as well as allocation of expenses etc.

The results from these forms are then made public and presented in easy to read charts . You can see them at the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) website http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html .

Of course you can lie on these forms, but you'll probably get audited at some point.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Ramulack posted:

I am not sure how it works in the US. Here in Canada registered charities must submit an annual charity return (T3010) which is a detailed package of forms outlining what activities the charity does, how it raises funds, where these funds come from, as well as allocation of expenses etc.

The results from these forms are then made public and presented in easy to read charts . You can see them at the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) website http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html .

Of course you can lie on these forms, but you'll probably get audited at some point.

Sounds like Canada isn't very business friendly.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Givers not knowing where their moneys going as sinful as throwing away

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

good. survival of the fittest.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Most charities suck. If you want to give and know it's going to be put to good use, especially for cancer patients, give to your local Hospice center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Why don't you take the law into your own hands and burn their house down if it bothers you so much

• Locked thread