Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Guys, I'm finding this LP fascinating. I remember when I played Majora's Mask years ago and the simple thought of finishing the game in one 3-day cycle is still baffling to me. The commentary and editing is very amusing as well!

Favorite part so far was Miss Octorok 2015: But if you must enter then you must obtain the MASK containing :byodame:WANDERING SPIRITS:byodame: that can be found near the ranch.

e: poo poo, new page. Uhm... have a slightly :nws: [link removed]. Mashup of "What if Zelda was a Girl" and Japan's Favorite Pastime? Possibly involves an Octocock?

e2: I'm unsure how a linked, non-leeched and NWS-tagged image would be grounds for a ban, but I'll nevertheless remove it.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I like how you made two to four bannable offences in a single post. :goodjob:

The Well was the place when I first got the idea for 3 Day running. Could I do the whole well in a single swoop? What would I need? Then it spiraled out from there.

The fish Gibdo references the flavour text from when you catch a fish. That is how you are supposed to know. It isn't all just figuring out their riddles, it is also knowing stupid minute details about all the items.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I gets even worse in the 3d version

It looks terrified.

I'M GOING TO HIT THAT PLANET SO HARD AAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

smokyprogg posted:

I do! And holy poo poo, does it ever backfire.

Ikana tower owl statue?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oh right we're heading to Ikana Tower sometime soon.

Don't forget the most useless of bugs. Playing the Song of Storms before Gomez' room, after getting hit by the Blue Bubble and right before you enter the chamber causes the song's screen darkening effect to persist on room change while under the effects of the Bubble's curse. Looks nifty for the fight.

It's just one of the things I never could not do before major fights :shobon:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

smokyprogg posted:

I mean, have you seen that moon? Everyone's doing a pretty loving good job of ignoring that for the most part. Did it have a face like that before we showed up?

I've never seen anyone discuss that, and it's always struck me as odd - from what everyone says in-game, it seems like the only weird thing is that the moon is crashing into Termina, not the fact that it's constantly staring down at the planet with a horrible, spiteful glare.

Great LP, by the way. I never had any idea that the game could actually be completed in three days without some sort of massive cheat-style glitching to skip through it (unless that happens in future videos, I guess).

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

life_source posted:

The Well was the place when I first got the idea for 3 Day running. Could I do the whole well in a single swoop? What would I need? Then it spiraled out from there.

This was one of the first things I did also. The well is probably the only part of the game you need to go out of your way to prep for, and fortunately everything ends up being more or less on the way of the first day. Once I realized that doing all of the masks would get me a bottle with milk, everything really fell into place.

SSNeoman posted:

Ikana tower owl statue?

Nah, after loving that up 4 or 5 times in practice runs, I really beat it into my head that I should just get that out of the way ASAP.

Dinictus posted:

Don't forget the most useless of bugs. Playing the Song of Storms before Gomez' room, after getting hit by the Blue Bubble and right before you enter the chamber causes the song's screen darkening effect to persist on room change while under the effects of the Bubble's curse. Looks nifty for the fight.

Woah, I didn't even realize that was a thing. I always roll through the room prior to Gomez and take a hit, so I just assumed that the room was really dark. Never figured I was causing that.

Captain Hygiene posted:

massive cheat-style glitching to skip through it (unless that happens in future videos, I guess).

gently caress that. If I wanted to do that with this game, I would just speedrun it. The biggest exploints in the run are abusing the gently caress out of the Song of Soaring, and getting that swag-rear end hookshot into Ikana. I'm considering showing off some tricks later on when it doesn't matter (the moon dungeons).

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

smokyprogg posted:

Woah, I didn't even realize that was a thing. I always roll through the room prior to Gomez and take a hit, so I just assumed that the room was really dark. Never figured I was causing that.

The effect clears after a portion of the fight. With the Song of Storms in that instance, under the Bubble's effect, the room stays dark until you leave the room. Also, the storm persists.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, it's possible to get all the masks in one cycle? :stare:

That would blow my mind.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

That would blow my mind.

Just had this reaction to his post as well, yes. All Masks + Dungeons in one cycle is about as close as I can imagine to a perfect MM run, completed Bombers Notebook or no.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

That would blow my mind.

No, the All Night Mask requires its own separate cycle if nothing else. ISTR someone saying that the Bomber Mask is mutually exclusive with Kafei's quest as well.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, the All Night Mask requires its own separate cycle if nothing else. ISTR someone saying that the Bomber Mask is mutually exclusive with Kafei's quest as well.

Saving the bomb lady is exclusive with Kafei's quest, but the Bomb Mask isn't. It'll turn up in the Curiosity Shop on the third day. (Instead of the All Night Mask)

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Sorry, all possible masks, not all masks. 21/23 ain't bad.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think you can still save the bomb lady... just don't blow up Sakon.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Kurieg posted:

I think you can still save the bomb lady... just don't blow up Sakon.

Sakon will be gone to continue heisting elsewhere, rather than him returning to his hide-out in Ikana. So no, sadly, mutually exclusive.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Dinictus posted:

Sakon will be gone to continue heisting elsewhere, rather than him returning to his hide-out in Ikana. So no, sadly, mutually exclusive.
In addition, Kafei never sees Sakon fencing the Big Bomb Bag through the peephole to the Curiosity Shop, and thus can't trail him to the hideout. All sort of missed connections goin on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6:24 AM, Second Day: 47 hours, 36 Minutes remain

The mistakes of last video are corrected, and one of the few randomish places in the run goes seriously well. Also, George goes hogwild with edits cause he's a god drat machine.

We enter Woodfall temple and get a glimpse into how much poo poo I routed into the run. I hope there are several "holy poo poo, is he really going for that??" moments over the course of the rest of the game, because at points that's how I feel while playing it.

Chapter 9 - ...Froggy?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 16, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That loving shield always freaked me out. Seriously it is always looking at you as soon as you get it. drat man.

I'm kinda surprised you're going for the upgraded spin attack, seeing as I don't remember ever using it :v:
Will you be getting the faeries in the water temple? Cause that requires a ton of effort and makes the temple way longer.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
This run is loving magic. I can't wait to see you try to get the Gilded Sword!

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I absolutely love watching this because half of this stuff I didn't even think was possible in such close times, and I know you guys are having fun with the editing.

Fun question though, On the first 3 day round since you can escape to termina and no actors spawn, that means the icey wall doesn't spawn infront of snowhead. Since the ice wall doesn't spawn that means the barrier is some snow piles that (IN A TAS at least) I've seen backhopped over so you could jump to the lens of truth and get it before you even started the game proper.

Would this free up a significant amount of time that would otherwise be spent playing the 10 second game for money, would this change the route, or would this not be possible because without kaepora's feathers and being deko lunk it's almost impossible to make the jumps which makes the time too much of a waste?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This seemed like a much funnier idea at 2AM

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

SSNeoman posted:

I'm kinda surprised you're going for the upgraded spin attack, seeing as I don't remember ever using it :v:
Will you be getting the faeries in the water temple? Cause that requires a ton of effort and makes the temple way longer.

I'm gonna try! The Great Bay fairies are actually some of the better placed ones, as it's the only temple where you can get the fairies without changing the order of rooms at all, which is honestly more of a testament to how exhaustive the default route is. That whole temple is a shitshow and I haven't gotten to it yet in the recordings, so it's gonna be kind of a judgment call when it comes up. I'm pretty hopeful, however.

Forer posted:

Fun question though, On the first 3 day round since you can escape to termina and no actors spawn, that means the icey wall doesn't spawn infront of snowhead. Since the ice wall doesn't spawn that means the barrier is some snow piles that (IN A TAS at least) I've seen backhopped over so you could jump to the lens of truth and get it before you even started the game proper.

Would this free up a significant amount of time that would otherwise be spent playing the 10 second game for money, would this change the route, or would this not be possible because without kaepora's feathers and being deko lunk it's almost impossible to make the jumps which makes the time too much of a waste?

I actually hosed around with this a bit after seeing what I assume is the same TAS. I couldn't get past the snow boulders with any regularity, and it saves only a miniscule amount of time in the run since you need to go out to the Garren Village and talk to the baby anyway. It's a really cool trick that people should check out, however. I love how they end up back in Clock Town. I can't find that video again though, so if you have a link, that would be wonderful. :v:

Kurieg posted:

This seemed like a much funnier idea at 2AM

Love it. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Garren Lunk provides the best 3D Sonic experience. No question.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

smokyprogg posted:

I actually hosed around with this a bit after seeing what I assume is the same TAS. I couldn't get past the snow boulders with any regularity, and it saves only a miniscule amount of time in the run since you need to go out to the Garren Village and talk to the baby anyway. It's a really cool trick that people should check out, however. I love how they end up back in Clock Town. I can't find that video again though, so if you have a link, that would be wonderful. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaDflIPG3f4

This I thought was the coolest thing when I watched it and I love how most of this is a mystery, When's he going to pause, Why does he have to pause there, Isn't he forgetting this thing, why is this even possible, Etc.

Forer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 18, 2015

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
10:02 AM, Second Day: 43 hours, 58 Minutes remain

gently caress I don't know what to put here. George has been editing and I don't have the raw video on my computer and also my laptop doesn't have speakers so I can't talk much about what goes on in it commentary-wise why the gently caress am I still typing

ANYWAY...

We complete the first dungeon! Yay! There's a lot of dialogue in this video, but some fun stuff going on. We complete more or less everything in the swamp with the exception of the Skulltulla house which is in the next video? Or the one after that? I don't know dammit george actually it's my fault i'm sorry i'm behind on everything

Also, listen to Fishmans, they're pretty dope. Long Season is a sweet album. Do we talk about them in this one?

Chapter 10 - Link-182

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 19, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aaaaaargh I hate that Deku shrine obstacle course. The camera just sucks with those tight corners and it wastes soooooo much time!

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

it's infinitely easier on the 3ds version because there's a map on the bottom screen, with the butler as a red blip making it easy to play "Follow the red dot"

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Forer posted:

it's infinitely easier on the 3ds version because there's a map on the bottom screen, with the butler as a red blip making it easy to play "Follow the red dot"

Another thing that makes it easier is that those fire walls in the last section are changed to metal gates that pop up, so you don't risk getting sent back to start in Deku form. Similarly, I think Odolwa no longer makes the ring of fire, since that battle was redesigned around using the Deku abilities.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
So the LP is amazing and I have a blast watching it, I usually avoid posting but I had to comment to thank you for the music recommendation. It's really great. If you haven't looked up the album he mentioned in the video, do it. You are missing out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a Piece of Teeth, I chipped my front tooth a few months ago (flossing, of all thing :psyduck:) but instead of just cementing the piece back on my dentist filled it the spot with filling material. Now I have this little sliver of a tooth but I don't want to throw it away, it's part of me :ohdear:

Also I've never seen anyone use the Deku Scrub while fighting Odwala, I've always wondered how the game's designers wanted you to do that fight considering they put a super Deku Flower in the room. Are you supposed to shoot out of that when he's standing on it to stun him?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It's a little more obvious after playing the 3DS version, but they intended for you to use the flower to drop deku nuts on him from above to stun.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

JahRoo posted:

It's a little more obvious after playing the 3DS version, but they intended for you to use the flower to drop deku nuts on him from above to stun.

OH. I just beat him by doing what I did with the turtle. Wait until he spins overtop you and pop out invincibly to hurt him. That's what the game taught you at least and intended you to do again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thread, what did kid you think Odolwa says?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you listen closely you can hear it saying "Come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Forer posted:

OH. I just beat him by doing what I did with the turtle. Wait until he spins overtop you and pop out invincibly to hurt him. That's what the game taught you at least and intended you to do again.

Yeah I did that too. I always thought that was the prostrat seeing as he always seemed to block my sword attacks.

It's pretty cool that Nintendo gives you multiple options for victory.

Zombiebeard
Jun 29, 2011

by astral

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Odwalla" which was especially weird when I later found out there's a drink company named that.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Without digging too far into the Moon Topic I remember there being a long series of posts about how Owalda was a warrior of the ancient tribe in internet theory. That because it wore a mask it was being resurrected by Majora using one of the giant's simply as a vessel to house its remains.

One thing I also remember desperately trying to find but never been able to. There's a Canadian comedy festival Just for Laughs. In one of the early 90s openings it showed a stilt walker who looked incredibly like the giants (the huge face, green beard, etc). I was never able to find it online though and the channel I used to watch it on no longer shows those seasons. So it would seem like the giants were based around some concept.

Another interesting thing was that Majora's Mask was made on a bet. The bet, supposedly, was that if Aonuma could make a new Zelda game within a year he wouldn't have to make another title that he really didn't want to. Supposedly anyway from the Iwata Asks portions of Nintendo - it's difficult to tell what is sarcasm and what isn't since every sentence ends with (laughs).

As you start going through the dungeons I'll try to remember what was posted in those files, or stop being lazy and actually go through them. Though the majority of it was centred a little after your Mirror Shield acquisition.

Also...I can't be the only one who thinks that the small turtles say "Cat Crap" while the large turtles that the frog rides on says "You're dead".

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Houle posted:

Another interesting thing was that Majora's Mask was made on a bet. The bet, supposedly, was that if Aonuma could make a new Zelda game within a year he wouldn't have to make another title that he really didn't want to. Supposedly anyway from the Iwata Asks portions of Nintendo - it's difficult to tell what is sarcasm and what isn't since every sentence ends with (laughs).

I don't think it was "make it in a year or work on a game you don't want to", I think it was just "Oh wow, you've got this interesting time repetition mechanic, and we've already got an engine; if you think you can do it in a year, take the team and go for it!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

frozentreasure posted:

I don't think it was "make it in a year or work on a game you don't want to", I think it was just "Oh wow, you've got this interesting time repetition mechanic, and we've already got an engine; if you think you can do it in a year, take the team and go for it!"

Probably, but the story's better the other way so that becomes reality.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/majoras-mask-3d/0/0

Seems like we're both right. It was to re-purpose the models with a neat mechanic and he didn't want to work on the Zelda DD

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

C-Euro posted:

I have a Piece of Teeth, I chipped my front tooth a few months ago (flossing, of all thing :psyduck:) but instead of just cementing the piece back on my dentist filled it the spot with filling material. Now I have this little sliver of a tooth but I don't want to throw it away, it's part of me :ohdear:

Also I've never seen anyone use the Deku Scrub while fighting Odwala, I've always wondered how the game's designers wanted you to do that fight considering they put a super Deku Flower in the room. Are you supposed to shoot out of that when he's standing on it to stun him?

Ayyy, broken front tooth buddies. :respek: Swam into the side of a pool, knocked out half of each front tooth, and I was pretty upset that I couldn't locate any of the shards at the time. In retrospect, it's ridiculous, but it was really loving important to find some teeth remains when it happened. :shrug:

I don't think I've ever used the deku flower in Odwala's room. Was always too spooked about catching on fire to do much as the Scrub in that fight.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was just as boring and uncreative as a kid as I am now, so I always just assumed it was some tribal language. That and saying his own name occasionally, like when the bugs spawn.

dijon du jour posted:

If you listen closely you can hear it saying "Come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough"

Little known fact: if you put on a transformation mask by Odolwa, there's a 1/50 chance of Lunk turning into a washing machine

Houle posted:

Without digging too far into the Moon Topic I remember there being a long series of posts about how Owalda was a warrior of the ancient tribe in internet theory. That because it wore a mask it was being resurrected by Majora using one of the giant's simply as a vessel to house its remains.

As you start going through the dungeons I'll try to remember what was posted in those files, or stop being lazy and actually go through them. Though the majority of it was centred a little after your Mirror Shield acquisition.

I need to brush up on the internet theories as well. It's a lot of fun and nostalgic to go through the topics, but it is a loooot of text about Zelda at times. :P Definitely want to do more with the theories as bosses come up, but there's a bit of downtime before we take on Snowhead.

Houle posted:

Zelda DD

Not particularly a Zelda question, but what ended up being done with the DD? Literally the only thing I know about is the F-Zero X expansion. (gently caress I need to finish up my F-Zero X/GX LP from 5 years ago at some point)

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

smokyprogg posted:

Not particularly a Zelda question, but what ended up being done with the DD? Literally the only thing I know about is the F-Zero X expansion. (gently caress I need to finish up my F-Zero X/GX LP from 5 years ago at some point)

Nintendo realized it was a commercial failure early on in it's lifecycle and abandoned future development. The only games that were released that weren't tech demos were F-Zero X, Sim City 64, Doshin the Giant, and a golf game I can't find any information on.

• Locked thread