Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Has anyone tried the new mining fleet controls yet? Does it make early game mining less tedious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Couldn't resist a glamor shot of my ragged little WIP fleet.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Lowen posted:

Has anyone tried the new mining fleet controls yet? Does it make early game mining less tedious?

In order for it to work, you have to set a non-mining ship as the "flagship" (select the fleet, click the 'up' button for the ship you want as the flagship). Also, if there are no asteroids in the sector the command won't do anything. To get it to work, I had to order the fleet to move to an asteroid sector, then give them to mine command. After that it worked OK. Every ship with a salvage computer/modules will mine except the flagship.

It's still a little tedious, as all fleet members must be present, and the sector has to be loaded. You'll have to hang out with your mining drones while they mine. No one has to fly the flagship, though; it just needs to be in the same sector as your mining drones. Also my fleet was attacked and destroyed by pirates so ymmv. :v:

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
It probably took way more time than it should have, but I rigged up a landing ramp on my giant UFO. I can hit a button and three different layers of blocks drop down out of the front and descend to flush with ground level. Now I just need a red carpet... :kimchi:

Now I just need to find an elegant way to lower the ramp if it's closed and I'm trapped on the outside of the ship. Wireless Activation Module, I guess? Maybe hidden behind a Plex Door, so it's not garishly obvious on my otherwise unblemished hull?

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

Ghost of Starman posted:

Now I just need to find an elegant way to lower the ramp if it's closed and I'm trapped on the outside of the ship. Wireless Activation Module, I guess? Maybe hidden behind a Plex Door, so it's not garishly obvious on my otherwise unblemished hull?

Area trigger maybe?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ghost of Starman posted:

It probably took way more time than it should have, but I rigged up a landing ramp on my giant UFO. I can hit a button and three different layers of blocks drop down out of the front and descend to flush with ground level. Now I just need a red carpet... :kimchi:

Hidden behind a plex door probably won't work. When you open the door, it's impossible to select what's behind it, you'll always select the transparent door and close that instead. I have a ramp on one of my ships and I just put an activation module next to it to open it, for now at least. Area trigger could work, just make sure it's not somewhere that could get triggered while you're flying in space, and remember that anyone can activate those.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Wireless logic would require a seperate ship with wireless logic linked to the ramp receiver. The simplest way is to sneak a plex/blast door in somewhere so you can get inside and fiddle with systems.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's kinda surprising there is no hand held remotes for logic yet.

Also, that flying city ship owns. Really makes me wish we could put factories of vessels and just have a mobile base.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Also, that flying city ship owns. Really makes me wish we could put factories of vessels and just have a mobile base.

...hey, yeah, why can't we do that? I was real disappointed when I realized I wouldn't be able to make my salvager double as a flying refinery / Paint Production Emporium. Space Lowe's, if you will. :3:

Also, how's the Goon Server looking these days? Thinking I might be done with Single Player some day soon...

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Supposedly ship based factories and respawns are a thing with capital ship systems.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Is it just me or do the pickup rails not have textures?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

AirborneNinja posted:

Supposedly ship based factories and respawns are a thing with capital ship systems.

Hell yes. A lack of respawns in the middle of space always made me lose interest in the game due to the logistical issues it causes. That's dumb and goes against the idea of an infinitely expansive galaxy you can explore destroy.

I don't want to base myself in one area. I want to be the roving nightmare. The devourer of both planet and star. The massive asteroid, moon, planet, and eventually sun sized starship that slowly rises over and eclipses the horizon and sunlight before a thousand mining beams vaporize your pathetically tiny planet-side base in a single volley and strip the planet down to it's molten core all so that I can become ever bigger, ever huger, and ever yooger.

Death of the flesh form that acts as a vessel for the mind of the machine is and should be nothing but a moment's pause as the medical bays produce another body to house the planetoid hungry intelligence that guides the machine.

Basically, inevitably, no matter how I start out I always end up playing this game like i'm galactus or some planet devouring mechanical eldritch abomination since it gets boring to just build without a goal after awhile. Respawning at my base and having to fly back if things go wrong is such a pain in the rear end when half the server is panicking when you log on and treats you like the self-perpetuating planet and base killing plague you are.

If this stuff is finally in then it's time to see how close to becoming a malevolent species of Von Neumann probes I can become. :unsmigghh:

Edit: Best part is, with this fleet system now it appears I can do that in a far more terrifying way. Where before there would be one ship now I can build up a swarm of them if people don't band together to stop me. With more being made every time more planets, player bases, and ships die.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 30, 2016

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I haven't messed with the fleet system yet, but in theory you could make your world eater the flagship and as you eat planets dispatch the materiel on shuttles to a shipyard which has one or more world eater blueprints loaded.
Not sure how much control it actually gives you. I think the post talked about mining and trading orders.

Managed to get the Bastions fighter elevator half working. Have a shitton of logic work to do too make the whole thing work. How fast do kickoff rails throw ships?

AirborneNinja fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 30, 2016

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

New update as of yesterday, if anyone is still playing: NPC Factions. They control territory, and will automatically mine, trade, expand, declare war and offer peace. It's a little bit like an automatic 4X, every 15 minutes the faction will make a decision (do I have enough resources to produce more ships? Do I have enough resources to expand my territory? Who did I trade with last, who attacked me last etc.). A server admin can customize NPC faction behavior any way they want, from making them focus mostly on combat over mining or trading, or what ships are in their blueprint collection.

Also, NPC trade ships are physical vessels that can be raided if you want to go be piratey. :yarr:

Details here: https://www.star-made.org/news/starmade-v0-199-349-npc-faction-update

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I've been meaning to play some more but I've had crippling fps issues lately. Probably need to do a clean install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I still play from time to time. The last few updates have been good too, adding in more logic stuff. For now I'm busy on a technic pack server, but I'll be back to starmade eventually.

• Locked thread