Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

redshirt posted:

lol at this point I wish I was religious. It seems so easy.

"God did it".

and comforting.

atheists are in the unenviable position of staring into the abyss that doesnt include a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

devin2 posted:

i just looked at your post history and this seems to be your only post in this thread so... you're kind of a bastard i guess for playing with the emotions of myself and my fellow posters

I meant at parties, my grandma's house etc. sorry for the confusion.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I just drop trou, take a poo poo, point, and say 'religion.'

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
they were playing take me to church in the cinema before the film started today and i was triggered
for real though why do we have reddit atheist hate songs on the radio

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
do retards go to heaven as retards

when you die an old senile man with a broken brain who basically just spends all day making GBS threads himself, do you go to heaven as an old senile man with a broken brain who basically just spends all day making GBS threads himself

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I for one am gla dthat Beef Turret convincingly settled that argument

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

gender illusionist posted:

I for one am gla dthat Beef Turret convincingly settled that argument

Learn one weird trick for proving God exists from this homeschooled kid!

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Zzulu posted:

when you die an old senile man with a broken brain who basically just spends all day making GBS threads himself, do you go to heaven as an old senile man with a broken brain who basically just spends all day making GBS threads himself

you go to heaven in whatever state you want to be in.

I will be an anime

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So it's like character creation in video games

I'm gonna be a huge fuckin orc and go on adventures with Albert Einstein and Yoko Ono in heaven

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the human brain works by producing impulses that dissipate very quickly. by the time you finish reading this sentence, you are already dead

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Zzulu posted:

"Heaven" is a placeholder for something we can't fully understand. As such traditional descriptions of Heaven as a bucolic material paradise seem trite to a modern audience (excluding the very stupid and very literal) but the theologically significant point is that it is eternal, and that it consists of perfect communion with God.

You also get to play all the latest video games, even sequels that aren't out yet. No Kickstarter bullshit either.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah but what if a retard commits a sin

that retard cant even read the bible, man. Does the retard go to hell

im really concerned about retards

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Zzulu posted:

yeah but what if a retard commits a sin

that retard cant even read the bible, man. Does the retard go to hell

im really concerned about retards

Abrahamic version: retards get a pass, along with small children, unborn babies, and people who never heard about God in the first place.

I don't know how anybody claims to know any of this with any specificity, but the general idea is that God wouldn't freeze anybody out just for not understanding what was going on.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Agag posted:

Abrahamic version: retards get a pass, along with small children, unborn babies, and people who never heard about God in the first place.

I don't know how anybody claims to know any of this with any specificity, but the general idea is that God wouldn't freeze anybody out just for not understanding what was going on.

Means the holiest thing you can do as a Christian is keep your drat mouth shut about God then everyone goes to heaven

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
crom

crom laughs at your four winds

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist
Next time somebody me about my religion, I will say that I'm atheist and then spend the next hour and a half making sure that the person understands the proper definition of atheism.

That way they don't automatically assume that I lost my fedora.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Much ado about nothing.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

RaceBannon posted:

Means the holiest thing you can do as a Christian is keep your drat mouth shut about God then everyone goes to heaven

This looks solid from a game theory perspective, but to deny others the joyous knowledge of Jesus Christ is itself a sin.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I read a list of all current and historical gods to my enemies to keep them from pleading ignorance when they get to Ra's Canal or whatever.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

"Heaven" is a placeholder for something we can't fully understand. As such traditional descriptions of Heaven as a bucolic material paradise seem trite to a modern audience (excluding the very stupid and very literal) but the theologically significant point is that it is eternal, and that it consists of perfect communion with God.

You also get to play all the latest video games, even sequels that aren't out yet. No Kickstarter bullshit either.
i'm not sure this counts as fully understanding anything but i can say with 100% conviction that when you die, the chemical reactions and the forces keeping them going that make up your body and mind fall apart into their basic components and return to the relative background noise that is the non-human portion of the universe

unfortunately, you can't videogame without hands and eyes very good but rest assured, every kickstarter, funded, unfunded or unconceived is present there, yes

quakster fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 26, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Agag posted:

that would basically exclude everyone from hell, since anyone who doesn't meet god's standard for entry into heaven is only like that because god made them that way

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I hope you are trolling people when you say that, because it's asinine. The feelings referred to by words such as "love" or "drunk" are not communicated in those words, the words describe by definition. That is to say, they are ways of defining feelings that the listener is expected to be aware of, if not have a familiarity with, independent of hearing the words for them. To suggest that language cannot be used to describe your "spiritual experiences" is to suggest that they are truly unique to you, and therefore incomprehensible to anyone else, which you can't possibly have any real reason to believe.

i though amarcarts had made the gayest post possible but then i saw this one

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
the cool thing about beet turret is that everyone else is just so painfully unprepared to engage with him

also redshit's a loving idiot as always

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Agag posted:

This looks solid from a game theory perspective, but to deny others the joyous knowledge of Jesus Christ is itself a sin.

just beg for forgiveness for your sin of not condemning others to the pit. jesus forgives, everyone goes to heaven - no one has to ruin their sundays with church. win win.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I tell them I have faith in myself

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

because every concrete atheist will have a web of mental constructs in which the atheist belief system is a subsystem that operates dynamically with the whole as the subject encounters the world.

no?

I just don't think fairy tales are real lol

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
"atheism is just lack of belief in god" is basically the atheist version of "theism is just a belief in an order to the universe"

Are you seriously denying that you believe in the 'atheist religion' as BT defines it moridin?

Morkies fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 26, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I usually lie and tell them I'm whatever religion I think they want to hear, then go to progressively more extravagant lengths to conceal my deception, often culminating in a humiliating public reveal.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Morkies posted:

"atheism is just lack of belief in god" is basically the atheist version of "theism is just a belief in an order to the universe"

Are you seriously denying that you believe in the 'atheist religion' as BT defines it moridin?

what has he even defined?

I just don't think the universe has a creator and I don't think I need to be all waffle-y 'oh well how do we know, there's no evidence AGAINST god!' because I'm not someone who demands to see evidence of absence.

In my mind it's the same as asserting someone has to have a belief system underpinning their belief that Santa Claus doesn't exist. It's not that complicated, I just don't think that poo poo is real. :shrug:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 26, 2015

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Beef Turret posted:

I'm going to bring back sincerity to GBS. Problem?

this is a good goal and you have my support

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol
Op, as a (sane) Christian I think many atheists are better than many of my supposed fellow believers in this country.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People should just be nice to each other idk why there has to be so many dividing lines over petty bullshit.

"Oh you don't believe the world was made 6000 years ago, BURN IN HELL"
"Oh you believe in God, YOU'RE A FUCKWIT *tips fedora*"

just be cool, fuckers

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 26, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Who the gently caress is Mark Fugelsang and why are his terrible memes suddenly everywhere?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Morkies posted:

uh theism itself is not a religion either, no

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
It's kinda insane that 12 million christians died in the soviet union because they lived in a state atheistic society that saw them as a cancer, and atheists keep saying that nobody ever died in the name of atheism.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

RaceBannon posted:

ugh who gives a poo poo. agree to disagree.

agree

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Morkies posted:

1. theism is not a religion, nor can it be said that it qualifies as a belief system in itself. theistic religions are belief systems.
2. it's intellectually dishonest to lump together (best attempts at) rational thinking and faith. they are not equivalent.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

1. theism is not a religion, nor can it be said that it qualifies as a belief system in itself. theistic religions are belief systems.
2. it's intellectually dishonest to lump together (best attempts at) rational thinking and faith. they are not equivalent.

Yet it's perfectly fine to lump together rational thinking and atheism, lol. As if atheists don't reject the scientific findings they find uncomfortable just like christians do

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Beef Turret posted:

It's kinda insane that 12 million christians died in the soviet union because they lived in a state atheistic society that saw them as a cancer, and atheists keep saying that nobody ever died in the name of atheism.

i wish you'd been included in that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
"I am gay for satan" is the only respectable answer to religion questions.

• Locked thread