Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Recruit is over. Game thread is here.

Five years ago, an 8.8 magnitude earthquake devastated half the west coast and tore the fabric of reality in a certain city in California. From that cosmic devastation, the world tree Yggdrasil arose and entangled its roots across the Nine Dimensional Realms. From there Yggdrasil destroyed the city in a single night, then rebuilt it the next day in own warped image. It opened the path for extradimensional beings to cross over, each of them strangely resembling familiar myths and legends from our world. It pulled the wool over humanity's collective eyes and dragged them screaming to a wider multiverse.

Since the Convergence, that city goes by a new name:
Midgard’s Root.」

As the only point in the multiverse connected to all Nine Realms, the Root has transformed into a bustling hub where the mundane mingles with the bizarre every day. Over half a million extradimensionals live in the city, while tens of thousands travel between Realms every hour of the day via railway. The markets overflow with traders willing to sell anything, from raw palladium to dragon's teeth to the (fake, but still magical) Spear of Destiny. Cars and chariots blitz across the morning traffic, while billboards and augmented reality ads showcase fashion trends from Vanaheim or the latest pop starlet out of Alfheim.

It is a city fraught with danger. Crime and corruption reigns as nearly every lord of the City Council owes some of obligation debt to organized crime or some fae regent. Desperate criminals and well-meaning people skulk the city's depths for power, allowing demonic pacts and dangerous artifacts to warp their mortal forms to Something Else. All sorts of capricious, god-like horrors try to escape the city's dome and turn mundane Earth into a Paradise of their own design. The police do their best to fight these criminals, but they don’t have the resources to deal with cosmic threats. On the hand, the elite cyborgs of Valhalla Company seldom work in Earth's best interests.

Midgard needs her protectors, too. It needs you.

You are the newest members of Folkvangr, a secretive organization dedicated to advancing humanity while protecting Earth from the excesses of the cosmos. From the stealth airship Sessrúmnir, Folkvangr sends out teams of superhuman agents to secure dangerous magic and technology, fight extradimensional monsters, and keep the mayhem of Midgard’s Root from spilling over anywhere else. It’s a dangerous and frankly thankless job.

But you aren't here to save the world for the fame, right?

_________

Premise

Hello, I'd like to run a game about anime supers, cribbed heavily from both Blood Blockade Battlefront and Shin Megami Tensei (and maybe a bit of the second Thor movie). Expect a game about going through everyday life in a magical world, dealing with personal demons, meeting eccentric characters, going on weird adventures, and punching monsters hard enough to knock down buildings. I'm looking at a light tone, enough for PCs to banter and joke around even against terrible opposition but not so much that they can't have some character drama.

I'll be using SUPERS! Revised Edition, a narrative-based supers RPG released only last year. It's the first time I'll be running this, but it looks like it hasn't been played around here either. We'll learn it together!

_________

Setting

I only have the setting in broad strokes, so I’ll list the relevant stuff in bullet points. If you want to make up details that aren’t here (or contradict things), go ahead.

• There are nine known Dimensional Realms in the multiverse: Midgard, Asgard, Vanaheim, Jotunheim, Niflheim, Muspelheim, Alfheim, Svartalfheim, and Hel. Aside from Midgard, each of the Realms are native to many types extradimensional races that resemble elements of various mythologies. A lot of these beings used to visit Midgard in pre-historic times, so it's possible that these beings inspired our myths today. Or perhaps our myths inspired these creatures? Scholars still debate on that.

• There are two major halves of Midgard's Root: Worldroot is set around the massive tree Yggdrasil and where majority of the population lives and works. Skyroot is situated on the world tree's branches, an inverted city where the wealthy reside, along with the city council and many corporate offices. The two halves are connected via an elaborate, yet speedy elevator system along the trunk of Yggdrasil.

• The Realm of Asgard once tried to seize Midgard's Root, as the Æsir see themselves as the sole guardians of the world tree. The nations of Earth fought in self-defense, though before it escalated into war, cooler heads prevailed and forged a treaty that declared the Root a city without allegiance to any Realm. The new government is run by a Council of Lords, nine representatives from each of the Nine Realms, who discuss prevalent issues and make decisions on majority vote.

• A massive, dwarf-forged energy dome protects the city and the world tree from outside forces, which means the only way to enter the Root from Earth is through a heavily-guarded suspension bridge. Inside the city, local police patrol the beats and handle most crimes, while the elite Valhalla Company deals with anything that involves the supernatural. A task force from Asgard, Valhalla Company destroy supernatural threats with extreme firepower thanks to its legions of undying cyborg Einherjar led by highly-trained Valkyrie officers.

• Folkvangr's major enemy is the terrorist group known as RAGNAROK. A group of gods and supernatural beings outcast from their native Realms, their stated intent is to destroy Yggdrasil and remake the Earth in their image. Their attempt to attack the world tree last year left lasting damage to its roots and nearby neighborhoods trashed, so they definitely have the drive and the power to do it. Folkvangr have identified a few members of RAGNAROK still at large: the trickster Loki, the fairy queen Titania, a resurrected Nobunaga Oda (who now calls himself the Demon King), and the rogue valkyrie Brynhildr. Odds are they've regrouped since that last attack and are making moves again.

_________

Characters

I'm more interested in characters than character sheets. I'm okay if you just describe your background, your abilities (think X-Men in terms of power), why you joined Folkvangr, and I can build the sheet for you if needed. If you want to make it yourself, use a Creation Pool of 20D. You can't raise Attributes higher than 5D and you can't take more than 5D worth of Disadvantages, but you get a free Competency Pool of 5D reserved for doing cool stuff in play. If you want to come up with Powers/Aptitudes that aren't in the book, shoot them my way for approval.:

Feel free to go gonzo with your concepts. Arcane summoners? Cybernetic elves? Couriers with magic artifacts for eyes? Monster hunter initiates? Vampires? Renegade valkyries? Time-shifted children of millennia-old djinn? Yeah, the world is weird and anime now, go for it. You don't need to stick with Norse mythology for inspiration either (I won't.).

I'd also like people to come up with at least one interesting detail about the city; a person, a place, a recent event, a strange rumor, etc.

This will be open until May 30 June 3! Looking for 4-5 players. If you need to find me, I'll be at #persona in SynIRC. Thanks for your interest and have fun!

Mitama fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Inevitable early interest post to be followed by last minute submission goes here.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Sagishi-no-hime

It all used to be so much simpler before this big old tree decided to show up and remind humanity of the supernatural. You see, before Yggdrasil decided to pop into this world, humanity had already stopped believing in the Yōkai. Of course, they did because they were tricked into doing so. The Yōkai didn't disappear, they simply got older, wiser... and sneakier. The few times a Yōkai was seen in modern times, it was believed to be the ramblings of a madman, or a simple hoax. The Yōkai have adjusted to modern life. For example, the Kitsune largely work as spies or information brokers. Only a few still follow the old traditions. For a Kitsune with eight tails like Sagishi-no-hime, who had upwards of 800 years to practice her shapeshifting, it is basically impossible to be found out.

By humans, anyway. Inugami's kin, the dogs, as well as their Yōkai relatives, never forgave the foxes for the wrongdoings of the past. But still, it was easy enough to avoid them - one only had to watch out on the streets as one would in a disreputable part of a city. In Japan, it was the easiest, given the many shrines to Inari that serve as sanctuary for Kitsune. The Namiyoke Inari Shrine in Tokyo - or Edo, as it was called when Sagishi-no-hime was brought into this world, held fond memories for her, as it was her home for the last five-hundred years, as she served as its unseen guardian for many generations. Still, she enjoyed traveling every now and then as well, which, given her agelessness, lead to her learning close to if not all of Midgard's cultures and languages over time.

Sadly, times change. When the tree bore through the veil of reality, humanity's interest in the supernatural skyrocketed. The fact that the Aesir proved so many myths to be right (such as their legendary arrogance) got people to be paranoid about the Yōkai once more. Kitsune, especially, had always gotten mixed receptions. The more scholarly knew how to differentiate the good from the evil foxes, but the common folk rarely did. Thankfully, the shrines remained safe, but Sagishi-no-hime was unable to remain - for the deity Inari looked at the unfolding scenario with great worry and called for her aid to set things on a more predictable, safer course.

To achieve this goal, Sagishi-no-hime adopted a human guise by the name of Kuzunoha Kabuki.

Kuzunoha Kabuki

It was all too easy to manipulate the humans to band together and create an organization to protect both Yggdrasil and the rest of Midgard - all she had to do is point at the near-disaster of the first contact with the Æsir and remind them that this was only the power of one of the other worlds, and not all seek to safeguard Yggdrasil, and almost none care about Midgard.

The organization in question is called Folkvangr.She joined the organization as an advisor on the Yōkai. The irony was not lost on her, of course.

On a rather quiet evening after work, Kuzunoha enjoyed the silence (apart from the meowing of her nine cats) that came from the absense of her roommate, a kitsune with only one tail but a lot of curiosity. The two of them live in a small, unassuming apartment in the southwestern edge of Midgard's Root. As she looked out of the window, a most curious white fox entered through it. Unsurprising to her, it started talking. “Greetings, Sagishi-no-hime. Inari-sama is pleased with your work. With Folkvangr’s founding, we should have a lot more success at keeping threats to this world sealed within this city.”

The words filled her with relief. Finally, she was able return home to the shrine and- “However, Inari-sama requires your services once more. You are to lend your power to Folkvangr openly. There is too much at stake not to.”

Kuzunoha Kabuki sighed. “Are you sure about this? I only have eight tails. I lack the divinity of a nine-tails. Ragnarok harbors at least one god, and the demon swordsman Nobunaga Oda. Surely the power of a nine-tails would be more suited for this?”

“You have been chosen by Inari-sama. I only relay the message. Will you accept your duty?”

Kozunoha Kabuki poured herself some sake, and took a sip. “Fine…” escaped her lips as she handed the white fox some tofu, which ate it wordlessly. “However, do inform Inari-sama that I do not think my power is adequate. I humbly request some aid, possibly by a nine-tails or two.”

“It shall be my duty. Farewell, Sagishi-no-hime.” the fox replied before disappearing out of the same window it once entered. Kuzunoha sighed deeply, followed by finishing her sake, then pouring more and more until she finally fell drunk. She didn't remember what happened after, but according to her roommate, Kuzunoha had passed out on the floor at some point.

Really, who could blame her? A Kitsune’s work is done in secret, not openly. Not only is she expected to work openly, but also fight Ragnarok. Ragnarok means dangerous people and even gods like Nobunaga… Loki… and worst of all, the servants of Inugami. The dog spirits. She really, really was afraid of going against them. A single bark in the distance had always been enough to startle her.

The next morning, she revealed her true form to Sigurd. He was surprised to find a Yōkai amongst the ranks of Folkvangr, but is always willing to accept skilled assistance.

Many Kitsune live in Midgard's Root. That means there are many ears that listen to the street, and many mouths that speak if you know where to listen. The most alarming rumor is that the apparently demon-possessed warrior Nobunaga Oda is binding the souls of his subordinates of old into suits of armor to raise an army...

Other events Sagishi-no-hime became aware of:

- The Kitsune sent to spy on one of Muspelheim's regents hasn't reported in for an suspiciously long time.
- An unusually large amount of Inugami's servants reside in Skyroot.
- A few weapon manufacturers are secretly supplying RAGNAROK.
- Seven cursed Muramasa blades, also known as the 'Demon Blades', have made their way into Midgard's Root. Only two have been recovered so far. A young human woman in a kimono was seen with one of the blades, apparently wielding it without suffering its horrible side-effects. She has been seen slaying multiple monsters. Investigation into the identity of the woman have so far been fruitless.
- Strange plant monsters of uncertain origin haunt gardens in the western part of the city at night. The police force is covering up the events for an unknown reason.

Sagishi-no-hime posted:

Resistances: 5D
Composure 3D, Fortitude 2D, Reaction 2D, Will 2D

Aptitudes: 5D
Awareness 2D
Occultism 3D [Specialization: Yōkai 4D / Complication: Only Yōkai]
Intrusion 3D

Powers: 14D
Elemental Control – Fox Fire 2D [Complication: Conditional - Only in Hybrid or Fox Form -1D / Limited Use: No Movement -1D]
Illusions 5D [Boost: Additional Sense 2D, Split Action 1D, Area Effect: 3D, Complication: Only in your Mind -1D]
Shape Change 3D [Complication: Limited Form (Fox Form, or Hybrid Forms only) -1D]
Healing 1D [Boost: Extra Effect when: Out of Combat 1D]

Advantages: 1D
Allies: Servants of Inari (Spy/Information Broker Network) 1D
Omni Translator 1D [Complication: Only Midgard's languages -1D]

Disadvantages: -5D
Enemies: Servants of Inugami -2D
Phobia: Cynophobia (afraid of dogs) -1D
Duty: Servants of Inari -1D
Vengeful -1D

Competency Pool: 5D

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 1, 2015

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Interest post. Unsure if I can fit this into my schedule, but if I can think of a good concept I'll give it a go. There's apparently some suggestion that weaving was mystically significant in old Norse religion and that you could practice magic by "knotting" the threads of fate, so I might do something around that.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Interest post! ... Although I confess to knowing nothing about the system.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I didn't clarify this enough on the OP, so to make sure expectations are clear: there's a lot of Norse riffs to start with, but the game itself is meant to be gonzo comic book style w/ all the dimensions containing beings of various mythologies. A bit like how Marvel's Thor and Hercules have their own things going on, but they're still both part of the Avengers and will defend New York from dinosaurs together.

EDIT: "But Trix, which Norse-inspired realm would the Greek/Egyptian/Mesopotamian pantheons reside?" Good question! Like I said, feel free to create whatever details you need for your concept, but you need some guidance, we can talk about what fits where on a case to case basis. Also, I'm interpreting the Nine Realms very loosely for this game, so they probably all have some general theme going on (Muspelheim has a fire and deserty thing going, Niflheim is Literally Hoth) but they all have diverse cultures within themselves.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 23, 2015

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Yeah, I'm with you. It's just that even if you'd gone for straight "mythological monster mash" without the norse bias, I'd still go right for the chainmail and round shields 'cause it's my favorite.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Ingeborg Menjasdóttir

Query: select YX-Series sub #30XFSSFX retrieval: param_12.3:

retrieved: 0872..I a.241...I am Ingeborg! Ingeborg that splits shield coated armies, she who spills rivers of blood. A weapon stained in red, and a warrior of worth!

Ingeborg is the culmination of the Utgard Project, a collection of Scandinavia's finest roboticists. 8 feet tall, nigh-invulnerable to heat and impact, guided by the strongest A.I our technology could muster. Our planet's mechanical defender against invaders beyond our understanding.

The project should have been impossible. After all, whole nations had been paralyzed by the chaos that Convergence spread through their scientific and military communities. Professor Menja Alfsdóttir, head of Utgard, scoffed at their feebleminded weakness. For a snowy wind blew out from her office door and her volcanic lab rattled with the crash of giant feet. The Jötunn had come to help! Nursing their ageless grudge against the Aesir, several of their representatives had snuck out into Midgard. To spite the glory of the so-called gods and their seizure of The Root: they would help anyone, even these tiny spawn of Ymir's hair, for such a goal.

Ingeborg grows nostalgic whenever someone mentions her creation. Ask her and she'll say the giants' hammers pressed fathoms of Rimeite alloy into centimeters of armor: their bloody passion had made it her flesh. Her processor core was refined in three magnetic bonfires, lit upon forgotten battlefields and stoked by powerful runes. The ferocity and wisdom in those flames gave her a soul.

She doesn't really remember what happened then. Those were stories told to her by her adoptive mother, Professor Alfsdóttir, during the years she was raised to become a proud young robot. Alfsdóttir, a caring parent in most respects, rejected the hide-bound politeness of modern society: her daughter would meet any offense with an open challenge, boast as freely as a great jarl, and face all threats with the utmost courage. Ingeborg took to these lessons well. Perhaps too well. If she were sent anywhere besides Midgard's Root, she'd be machina non grata within hours.

She joyously plunders from all sides of the law, monster and minister alike fleeing from her blazing beam-axe. Much of her loot is given away as soon as it's taken, to needy allies or the countless communities of Worldroot. Why does she do this? To see the looks on people's faces when they tell of her great exploits. Despite her robotic nature she holds a naive love for tall tales and myths. She'll fight any opponent and feast with any hero if she hears they're worthy enough. In Midgard’s Root the rumors are usually right.

There is one fatal exception: Valhalla Company. She disappears in a flash of lightning whenever their Valkyries rear their heads. Her programmed mission was disruption against Asgard's authority, not suicide against their forces. After each retreat her circuits scorched with indignity as she realized her own cowardice. It felt like she’d never be more than a petty nuisance to the haughty Aesir.

But then she discovered Folkvangr. A group that could, in time, fight off threats more magnificent than even Asgard could handle. The organization was skeptical of her "talents" at first. But they've found their uses. Not everyone can identify the Golden Auroch of Surtr, withstand its withering flame breath, and carry it one-handed to HQ in a single afternoon. And she even provides her own pay.

Ingeborg posted:

Resistances [8D]
Composure 2D
Fortitude 4D (Boost: Sharable 1)
Reaction 3D
Will 2D

Aptitudes [3D]
Fighting 3D
Academia (Complication: Only Vs. Mythology) 3D

Powers [11D]
Elemental Control (Lightning, Complication: Limited Use, No Defense): 2D
Super Weaponry (Giant's Beam Axe, Complication: Device, Boost: Area Effect 1D): 4D
Super Strength: 3D
Armor: 3D

Advantages [3D]
Size (Big) 1D
Occupation (Viking) 1D
Unliving 1D

Disadvantages [-5D]
Weakness: Jotunn-Slaying Weaponry 1D
Minor Mental Hindrance (Reckless) 1D
Minor Mental Hindrance (Glory Hound) 1D
Major Social Hindrance (Strange Looking) 2D

Competency Pool [5D]

I have intercepted seventy-four tales this week about the underground district of the Svartálfar. Information suggests that agents from all Nine Realms are being planted there. Skulking and scheming, of course, for the energies tapped around the World Tree's roots. Pitiful! Not one of them is strong enough to best the others in their puny struggles. Haha, perhaps old Níðhöggr and Enma will sort them out. What a sight that would be!

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 31, 2015

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
EDIT: Hmm I'll sit his one out, good luck to everyone else.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 24, 2015

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
I am down, thinking thinks on this now.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Jones Thackary was one of the most powerful practitioners of old Pagan magics on the earth when a freak accident in his apiary garden resulted in his transformation into a man who has the powers of a druid priest and all the powers of a bee, having unified with the hive... he was known as....

BLESSED BEE

Alas, his bark was a lot louder than his bite, or in this case his buzz was greater than his sting. While thwarting a bank robbery, he got his rear end good and killed. However, his noble spirit was sufficent for recruitment into the ranks of the einherjar, which he was at least a little surprised actually exists, and soon his zeal and spunk caused him to be seconded to the ranks of the Folkvangr which was a move that was totally not designed to get the undying if somewhat annoying hero out of their hair.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Erinyes

quote:

THE ROOT'S LATEST HERO STRIKES WITH A FURY
[Excerpted from The Leaf]

...jotunn warband raged unchecked in the Flower Market for over a quarter hour, with no apparent response from the police or the Æsir. At the time of press, no explanation for this has been given.

Fortunately for the people of the city, someone else chose to take action while the authorities dithered. An unknown woman in advanced armor intervened. Taking to the air, she outmaneuvered the giants, striking like a thunderbolt. She apparently had a magical orb of unknown provenance in her possession, which she used to devastating effect. Witnesses indicate it could split into multiple independent units.

Once the jotunn had been stopped, the woman landed atop an overturned bus and announced herself as Erinyes. She flew off as the official response belatedly arrived, before the press could get more than her name...

Iris Nakano

quote:

A RAINBOW BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE
[Excerpted from Midgard's Root Chronicle]

... organizers confirmed that pop-idol sensation, Iris Nakano, will be joining the lineup. The announcement immediately caused remaining tickets for the concert to sell out. The appearance will be the first following the release of her debut album, Iridescent. The young singer is already known for her upbeat, sugary music and intensely colorful AR-filled live shows...

Haephestus

"Even when I first came to this world, I knew not to read my own press. I said as much to Achilles, though he listened about as well as you do."

Iris flicks the news articles out of her field of vision, adjusting her AR glasses as she looks down at the short, rotund robot addressing her. She sighs, kicking her legs as she perches atop the shelf-unit. "Come on, Haephi! It was my first time using the suit for real! And the Apple. You saw, right? Wasn't it amazing?"

The robot picks up a component, turning it over in its hands. "It's Haephestus. Next thing you will be calling me a dwarf, like those arrogant golden haired fools." He strokes his chin, then stumps over to his technoforge with the piece. Magic circles flicker into life around it and sparks fly as he installs it into the suit laid out there. "That should stabilize thrust output. I have tweaked the illusion matrix as well, it should maintain your disguise more effectively."

Iris pushes off and floats to the floor lightly, skipping over to look over the shoulder of the smith. "That's great! It wouldn't be good for my image if people recognized me."

"No, it would not fit with your shy and sweet persona if anyone realized you were also a fiery, destructive fury." The girl blows a raspberry in response. Ignoring her, Haephestus continues. "The suit and the implants will amplify the powers you inherited from your mother, beyond what is normally possible for a half-elf. I cannot enhance the latter any further without making it clear they are more than medical grade."

"Can't we say its to help with controlling the effects in my concerts?" Iris asks, prompting a thoughtful moment from her companion.

"I will look into that. Still, the true key to your success is mastering the Apple of Discord." He gestures to the glass tube the artifact hangs suspended in, rotating and glowing with a dark light.

"Yeah, I know. I still don't know why it chose me," Iris says, frowning at it.

"I fear we may never have an answer. My latest attempt to retrieve your father's records confirmed that what few fragments remain are encrypted, and there is no way of solving such a cipher. I do not even know where he found it, let alone what his experiments were meant to accomplish."

Iris growls and slams her palm down on the tube, in a display of anger decidedly at odds with her normal demeanor. Proximity to the Apple tends to bring out that side of her personality, which is one reason she does not call it to her often. "I don't care what he thought he was doing! If anything had actually mattered to him other than his stupid theories, maybe- maybe-" She stops midsentence, biting off whatever she was going to say, and smacks the tube again. The Apple's rotation speeds up as it glows brighter and redder.

Haephestus pauses, then goes back to work, the quiet tinkling of metal and electronics the only sound for a few moments. Then Iris takes a deep breath, and turns back with a smile.

"Forget that stuff for now. Come and help me get everything tuned for the concert! I've got this idea, but I want it to key off the actual music, right? Except I can't get all the emitters to sync right."

The robot sets down its tools and turns to follow her out of the secret workshop. "I can think of a few ways around that. It depends on the specific effect you want. Show me what you have..."

Erinyes posted:

Resistances [4D]
Composure 2D
Fortitude 2D
Reaction 2D
Will 2D

Aptitudes [3D]
Performance (Singing) 3D (4D)

Powers [12D]
Armor [Complication: Device (Armor)] 4D
Energy Control (Light) [Boost: Area Effect 2D; Complication: Device (Apple), Complication: Uncontrollable] 5D
Flight [Complication: Device (Armor)] 3D
Life Support [Complication: Device (Armor)] 2D
Super Strength [Complication: Device (Armor)] 2D

Advantages [5D]
Base of Operations [The Forge] 1D (10D Base)
Celebrity 1D
Charismatic 1D
Companion [Haephestus] 1D (10D Companion)
Wealthy 2D

Disadvantages [-4D]
Claustrophobia 1D
Minor Mental Hindrance (Iris: Shy/Erinyes: Mean)* 1D
Minor Social Hindrance (Strange Looking) 1D
Secret (Identity) 1D
Vulnerability (Sonic Attacks) 1D

Competency Pool [0D]

*Depends on whether she is using the Apple.

Haephestus posted:

Resistances [2D]
Composure 2D
Fortitude 1D
Reaction 1D
Will 2D

Aptitudes [4D]
Academia 3D [via Super Brain]
Medical 3D
Occultism 3D
Technology 3D [via Super Science]

Powers [6D]
Super Brain 3D
Super Science [Complication: Requires Access to Lab] 3D
Wizardy [Complication: Requires Access to Lab] 2D

Advantages [1D]
Unliving 1D

Disadvantages [-3D]
Major Social Hindrance (Strange Looking) 2D
Minor Physical Hindrance (Mobility) 1D

Competency Pool [0D]

The Forge posted:

General Statistics [4D]
Size 1D
Material Strength 3D
Security 3D

Aptitudes [6D]
Academia 2D
Medical 2D
Technology 2D

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 13, 2015

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Fenghuang
Authority Absolute

And in the land they call Alfheim, the land of fey, dwell the races the menn call Dökkálfar and Ljósálfar. Once, it was thought that the Dark Elves dwelled beneath the earth of Migard, but truly they dwelled beneath the earth of Alfheim; but all earth is earth, and they can move between it as so, while the Light Elves bask in the sunlight of Alfheim, rarely leaving...

Rarely.

Not never.

It is known that the light elf princess Fenghuang visited the kingdom with the arrogance to call itself the Middle from time to time, when things were at peace and the empire was prosperous. She sought the bustle and din of Midgard's eldest civilization; a welcome break from the calm and deference of Alfheim, where all bowed to her without question. All, of course, except Huanglong, her lover, another who chafed beneath the serene sun, and oft accompanied her.

Her presence was always taken as a sign of fortune and favor, which she disdained. She came because fortune was with the Middle, not because it followed her like a cloak. Eventually, the din of clamoring favor-seekers always grew too much, and she retired to Alfheim to attain another dozen decades of peace- not that she noticed, for one day of peace is very much like another, and time in Alfheim is oft forgotten.

It has been several centuries since her last visit, and likely several more would have passed before she made the effort again. Until Huanglong, ever restless, vanished.

To her chagrin, word reached her that Huanglong was launching attacks on Midgard, via the paths and methods she had taught to ease their boredom. Finally, her other half had snapped- tired of peace, tired of order, tired of law, the Yellow Dragon of Alfheim had decided that RAGNAROK was better than another millennia of ennui.

Well, that just wouldn't do.

So Fenghuang descended to Midgard, and offered her services to Folkvangr.

And who are they to say no?

Folkvangr Profile 88:
Fenghuang
Powers:
Aura of Authority
Possible methodologies: Subvocal command frequencies? Mind manipulation? Hypnotic eyes?
Dr. Lemas notes that those in her presence without forewarning or strong will or both subconsciously defer to her as an authority figure. This includes nominal hostiles. Commands given by her are obeyed with extra vigor by the willing, and the unwilling find themselves hesitant to disobey or harm her.

Phoenix Flame
Possible Methodologies: Sun link?
Has been observed generating intense heat in a small area around her, enough to repulse almost all attempts at contact except by Class 5 or higher heat-resistant entities. No "flame projection" is noted except if flammable materials are thrown through the aura. Suggestion: find someone who can generate oil, partner?

Flight
No comment- the physicists went out to lunch and never returned.

Personality profile:
To say that Fenghuang is used to being in charge is an understatement. In many ways, she seemed completely unaware of the idea that other people could hold authority until Dr. Lemas explained the idea using Emperor Ming of Han, who she apparently considered a close personal friend. Once she grasped the concept she was polite and deferential to her nominal superior officers. Suggest that obedience and authority are her primary motivators, as seen by her anger at former partner Huanglong.

Combat aptitude tests suggest a total unfamiliarity with weapons newer than the repeating crossbow, though she was so interested in modern firearms that she accidentally melted one. Intensity of heat appears to be linked to emotional state - any intense emotion increases the temperature. Beginning to see why Alfheim is kept so serene, if the other elves have any similar powers...

Combat aptitude tests also pointed toward a tendency toward merciful solutions. Rather than kill, she seeks surrender even if situation is difficult or impermissible. This tendency may risk mission success under certain parameters.

Resistances: Composure 3D, Fortitude 2D, Reaction 2D, Will 2D
Aptitudes: Presence 3D
Powers: Damage Aura (Heat) 3D, Energy Control (Heat) 2D [Boost: Area Effect 2D, Complication: Only Control Heat Around Her], Flight 2D, Invulnerability (Heat) 3D, Telepathy 4D [Complication: Only Communication and Mind Control]
Advantages: Leadership 2D
Disadvantages: Enemy (Huanglong) 2D, Minor Mental Hindrance (Merciful) 1D
Competency Pool: 0D

K Prime fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 28, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

K Prime, you don't need to specialize until you try to go over 3D in aptitudes. Also, you get 5D Competency Die for free.

You may also want to look into Super Aptitude: Presence since it seems to be such a large part of your character.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 29, 2015

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The Lumninous Aether. Had a pretty good run, all things considered. Had some shrines in the old country, no real cults, but it was a job for life, you know? Was venerated without having to do any real work. A good life. Outlasted most of 'em too. Notions of Aether held on one way or another for a couple thousand years, the rest of that lot were relegated to frat parties and Ray Harryhausen films. Then goddamned Einstein came along, ruined it. My stock plummeted, lost nearly all of it. My power, that is. I had money, I had time, so I did this and that.

Then the internet came along. Sweet moustache, do you have any idea what a godsend that was?

Hah, godsend. Get it?

I was an early adopter, and since I didn't have to sleep I got a lot out of it. Got me some cults now, via social media. Lot of them are dumbass teenagers, but who cares? I can feel the power coming back. Feels good, man.

Internet has a lot on it, I got used to it. Part of the thing about making your own conspiracy to repower belief in a long dormant god is you learn a thing or three about internet conspiracies.

Chemtrails. You heard of 'em. Turns out they are real, but not like you think. Operation by RAGNAROK, poison the deep aether. Poison the very air of the gods. From there? poo poo ran deep, but the Folkvangr have traces here and there. Clues. I put 'em together. I linked it all up.

When I showed up and explained, I got the gig. Turns out they needed a researcher. Their information hygiene is better too.

Kinda looking forward to getting back in the field after a few thousand years, kicking some monster rear end again, I tell you what.

Aether, Greek god of light and the upper atmosphere. Aether theories held sway to one degree or another for nearly two thousand years until Einstein put the last nail in that ancient coffin, putting the ancient god out of a job forever, or so he thought. On discovering the internet, he reconstructed a cult through social media and other means, becoming an expert at weird research and conspiracy theory in the process. When he found out chemtrails were not only real but a scheme of RAGNAROK, he kept digging until he found what he never knew he was really looking for. Now armed with a fresh lease on immortality, a handful of power rekindled from the credulous stupidity of others, and a driving need to put the boot in, he is ready for anything!

Mortal Form

Immortal Aether

pre:
Resistances -	Composure	2D
		Fortitde	2D
		Reaction 	2D
		Will 		3D

Aptitudes - 	Internet Conspiracy Theory 3D

Powers - 	Energy Control (Light)	4D
		Energy Form (Light)	3D
		- Life Support 		2D	[Complication: Energy Form Only]
		- Insubstantiality	3D	[Complication: Energy Form Only]
		- Super Speed		4D	[Complication: Energy Form Only]

Advantages -	Occupation (Primordial Diety, Retired)

Disadvantages - Mental Hindrance (Vain, Minor)
		Physical Hindrance (Old Age, Minor)

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 29, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I know I had a few more apps coming, but just to be sure, I'll go ahead and extend recruit until June 3. If I don't get any more between now and then, I might call it early and take the group I have. :)

Anyway, I have something for the current apps, so keep checking this thread~

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TurninTrix posted:

I know I had a few more apps coming, but just to be sure, I'll go ahead and extend recruit until June 3. If I don't get any more between now and then, I might call it early and take the group I have. :)

How do I look for background? Gonna tackle numbers next.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Entry 01: After that near-catastrophe with the interns and the morphogenic engine, I have determined that I must record my memories in an external source. Thus, you have been chosen, notebook. Serve me well.

Entry 02: Despite having much to share, I cannot seem to find a point to start. This mortal limitation in regards to time is vexing. Will attempt again after Dr. Walgle's 'coffee'.

Entry 03: Coffee was a trap. Forced to listen to Walgle's stories about children. I refuse this to be my last entry, notebook.

*two pages that appeared to be squiggles on wrinkled, aged paper that smells like coffee*

Entry 07: There was once a time that I would have smote a mortal such as Walgle for trying to assassinate me with her insidious coffee. A great din and howl would have summoned a swarm of carrion feeders to carve our her heart in less time than it took her to brew the horrible 'drink'. It would've been just one more offering in exchange for the relative tranquility that I doubt any of the other researchers would have objected to. And yet, here I sit, notebook, writing in you even as we both dry from that clod's failed attempt to kill us. Still, look at her scurry about, acting as though the world is ending simply because I am wet. What a foolish mortal.

Entry 08: DISGUSTING WOMAN DOES SHE THINK I WOULD SIMPLY EAT A MORTAL SUCH AS HER WHAT HUBRIS-*the rest of the paper seemed torn out*

Entry 15: It has been brought to my attention that I have only written about that clod Walgle, notebook. I refuse to have my memories consist of that vapid mortal.

Entry 16: I musn't forget the purpose of this notebook. This mortal whimsy is...intoxicating. It is so easy to lose track of time when it has such vital importance to a mortal frame. I must remain careful. The name I have taken for the ease of the Folkvangr is not my true identity; merely the shell that I squeezed into in order to operate directly in these mortal worlds. Such strange, sentimental meats these humans have when they are bound to them. It remains distinct from the sensation of offerings, and yet the finer motor control in this frame alone is such an intricate operation. It makes the offerings I received in the past all the sweeter and I feel them swell and surge with an importance I did not grasp before. Such fascinating things, these 'emotions'.

*Several more pages that appear stained brown and smelling of coffee*

Entry 24: WRETCHED WOMAN HOW MANY TIMES MUST SHE ATTEMPT AT MY LIFE WITH HER FOUL BEVERAGE?

Entry 25: This notebook's physical form is in too much danger to rely on it alone in the storage of my memories. I will make use of the Folkvangr's resources to make you more adaptive, notebook.

Entry 26: Have found my way.

Entry 27: This is not a farewell, notebook. Much as my own self, your essence is not lost, but being transferred to a fleshy, mortal frame. In this way, you will be kept safe from not only the forces we will doubtlessly face, but also that daft Walgle's accursed coffee. Embrace your new form, notebook, and join me amongst the living!

As the sun rises, a rabbit yawns and awakens from its nap.

Given Name: Teyol
Assumed Surname: Locuani
Assumed Age: 30's
Assumed Profession: Anatomy Professor and Folkvangr Assembler
Real Form: the rabbit

Though his mortal servant goes by the name of Teyol Locuani, a simple enough name taken from the tribes, Teyol is little more than his name suggests. Teyollocuani, "one who devours hearts," a soul eater. Suffice to say, Teyol has gone through plenty of names being called when he was offered delicious sacrifices. For the longest, most pleasant time, he dwelled in the middle world and ate away at the plethora of snacks offered by the humans in the name of their gods or whatever rituals they entertained.

Of course, like most things, that eventually came to an end as the humans who liked to give offerings were picked off and slaughtered by those who disagreed with them. Teyol stayed just long enough in the middle world to feast on the despairing and vengeful as they died, but as the peak of 'civilization' began to take over most of the world, he swept himself away from the middle world and opted to visit another.

Unfortunately, approximately 500 years in Jotunheim did little to satisfy the unfeeling hunger that Teyollocuani consists of. Sure, the frost giants—not at all giant, too, unless compared to half-formed humans from the middle world. Completely unsatisfying name—could die fairly similar to the humans, but their taste was all wrong. It was like having had all of his offerings succulent and soft and then having to deal with rocks instead.

So rather than get used to eating rocks, Teyollocuani adapted his form into one similar to the frost giants and asserted his new, pseudo-mortal self as a new monster in Jotunheim. 500 relatively boring, constantly hungry years passed with the Jotun largely leaving him be aside from an example needing to be made every few decades, until the arrival of...something. It had screamed its name over and over again like some horrible parrot—before leaving the middle world, Teyollocuani had been fond of the parrots. Probaby because of the colors—but in honestly, after two hours, he hadn't cared.

Instead, Teyol just fled Jotunheim again and opted to see how the middle world had changed in the 500 year absence. The existence of the Folkvangr seemed interesting enough, though in honesty, Teyol had a feeling that sticking with them would be the most direct way to get some more offerings. The conflict and struggle of the humans and their patrons against the forces rising was just too good an opportunity to lose.

So Teyol took a mortal form he assumed would seem inoffensive and lacking in power and offered the Folkvangr all the information he had on Jotunheim and a few other realms in exchange for being inducted to the organization. With the Folkvangr working to check on his information, Teyol decided to take up lecturing in order to seem more useful to his benefactors, but mostly in order to bask in the glow of anatomy students performing autopsies on retrieved corpses to better understand their enemies.

After a certain idiot nearly killed him and his notebook, Teyol used the Folkvangr's resources and his own powers to create a more defensible form for his memories; the nigh-human construct Teyol lazily named Locuani.

pre:
Resistances - 7D
  • Composure: 2D
  • Fortitude: 5D
  • Will: 2D
  • Reaction: 2D
Aptitudes - 3D
  • Occult - 3D
Powers
  • Vampirism (Fortitude+Composure) 3D+(Boost:Composure)1D - 4D
  • Regeneration 3D
  • Mental Paralysis 2D
Advantages/Disadvantages
  • Locuani - Companion 1D (10D)
Competency Pool

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 29, 2015

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Sir Jonathan Calderone, the Verdant Knight

My dreams were at first, of the earthquake. Of watching my family get swallowed up by the chasm while crying for help, of myself getting crushed under the rubble and choking on the dust. Survivor's guilt, perhaps. But then as the days went on by, things changed. Instead of nightmares of an angry earth, I dreamed of a battlefield. Of armored warriors fighting in a clash of steel, blood spilling the ground and mountains of dead bodies. And at the center of it all, a knight clad in heavy plate who cut a bloody swath of destruction through all who would oppose him. Every night I would dream of this nameless warrior, who fought against monster and man alike, who burned down villages for his amusement, who gloried in the terrible destruction and chaos he left behind him.

I missed my early dreams.

Once a typical Californian university student, Jon lost everything in the massive earthquake that preceded the Convergence. Picking his way across the ruined cityscape in the aftermath, the young man found himself haunted by unfamiliar dreams. Perhaps a soul escaped from the clutches of Hel and hid within him, or the appearance of Yggdrasil awakened memories of a past life. Whatever it was, with those dreams came strange new powers. Skills with weapons he never had before, knowledge of working steel and precious metals that came from nowhere. But most amazing was the power he bestowed onto anything he held. In his hands, a simple riot shield became harder than steel and a crowbar could shatter concrete with a single blow. With these powers he could do for others what he couldn't do for his family, save them.

At first it was just a idle whimsy that had Jon act as a stereotypical knight, dressed in scavenged armor as he escorted other survivors to safety. But it was amusing to see how other people reacted, and most importantly of all, it was different. Different from the old helpless Jon, different from the ancient terrible warrior in his dreams. Perhaps it was simply archaic foolishness, but there was something that appealed to Jon as he spoke loudly of duty and protecting the innocent. Peace and order was restored eventually in California save for the near conflict with Asgard. But unwilling to settle down, the young man turned his eyes towards the great tree that dominated the sky.

Now five years later, Jonathan has made a new home in Midgard's Root. His neighbors might think him insane as he clashes with the criminal scum that fill the Worldroot and take on freelance jobs that barely pay, but for the knight it is enough. He was out there protecting innocents and doing something right with his powers. Who cares if most scoffed at his talk of justice and honor?

So when Folkvangr finally approached him, speaking of their duty to guard the Earth, how could he refuse?

THE WORLDROOT GAZETTE posted:

DRUG USE ON THE RISE
Authorities are reporting that the sale of illegal narcotics has climbed to unprecedented levels, with police claiming that arrest of users have doubled within the last month. Most popular of which are the euphoria inducing Tears of Ishtar and strength enhancing Serpent's Venom, said to be smuggled from Svartalfheim. While the Council has yet to make a formal announcement in response, rumors say that tempers are raising between the Lords...

Resistances [6D]
Composure 2D
Fortitude 3D
Reaction 3D
Will 2D

Aptitudes [5D]
Arts & Craft 3D (Complication: Only Metalworking)
Athleticism 3D
Fighting 3D

Powers [10D]
Armor 3D [Boost: Reflection 1D]
Regeneration 2D
Super Sense (Danger Sense) 3D
Super Weaponry 3D (Imbued Sword, Complication: Touch Attack, Complication: Limited Use - No Defend)

Advantages [1D]
Is That Your Best Shot? 1D

Disadvantages [-2D]
Minor Mental Hindrance (Chivalric Code) 1D
Phobia (Seismic Activity) 1D

Competency Pool [5D]

Daraken fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 1, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

What is this, an actual human in a game about humanity's greatest defenders?!

Love the picture, by the way.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 31, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sylvi, the Mighty Ratatosk!

Have you read the Grímnismál? Heh, well, it’s best if you haven’t! I mean, the Æsir called us íkorni, likened us to rodents, slandered us in Midgard. Squirrels, even! We’re as divine as any Æsir or Vanir, make no mistake. We just didn’t go around bragging and swaggering on Midgard. We had a duty to Yggdrasil, after all.

The Ratatosk Tribe lived on the tree for millennia, being the foremost tribe upon it. We lived here since the beginning, and though the Vanir and Æsir will tell you we’re just a melting pot of refugees… it’s true we’ve taken a lot of people in who needed us. But we’ve been here a long time. Of course, that hasn’t stopped others, from giants to “gods” to kick us out. The Æsir don’t talk about us too much in their legends because, well, they lost. They blame us for encouraging the Vedrfolnir and Nidhögg to take up arms against them, but the three-tribe alliance isn’t just a matter of slander! We protected the tree from all comers, until...

Until now.

Was it the will of the tree that dragged it to Midgard? Well, it doesn’t matter now. First we fought the humans, with tragedy on both sides. Then when the Æsir sought to take it, and so we allied with the humans, but… the tribe... was greatly diminished after that. Of course, the Æsir would finally take the opportunity to try and wipe us out, wouldn’t they? Then afterward the Vedrfolnir sold the higher branches, while the Nidhögg hid in the roots. There aren’t enough of us to keep humans from carving elevators and other ugliness… not that stops some of my more traditional brothers and sisters from trying.

I don’t think it’s our way, though, to bring conflict to the tree. We have to find a new harmony upon it, even if it changes everything we know. Hel, it’s still our job to protect the tree, not from Midgard, but from RAGNAROK and others like them. We’ve lost a lot. I lost my parents to the “bullets” of humans, but vengeance will just destroy what few of us in the tribe remain.

And I’ll slug anybody who says otherwise. Folkvangr? Just stay out of their way, okay? I wouldn’t have to… um. No, I’m not a member, stop asking stupid questions like that! Huh? Well, they'd have to have one of us around if they wanted to sneak around the tree easily, but... seriously, if you keep asking, I'm gonna slug you, too.
pre:
Sylvi Quist

Resistances (9D): Composure 3D, Fortitude 4D, Reaction 2D, Will 4D
Aptitudes (6D): Athleticism 2D, Fighting 3D, Presence 3D, Survival 2D
Powers (9D): Mental Paralysis 4D (Area Effect +2D, Charges: 3 uses per session -4D), Super Strength 5D (Reflection 1D), 
Teleport 3D (Gate 1D, Conditional: On Yggdrasil only -1D, Only To Yggdrasil Locations -1D, Limited Use: No Attack -1D)
Advantages (1D): Is That Your Best Shot? 1D
Disadvantage (-5D): Major Mental Hindrance -2D (Duty: Ratatosk), Minor Mental Hindrances -2D (Reckless, Pride), Poor -1D
I guess I'm pretty strong, even for a Ratatosk, but my teacher always said "the more of us fall, the stronger we become". I don't know if that's the case, but... I feel like my parents fight with me. Our fighting spirit is something to behold, too, a lot of mortals can't stand straight when we let it loose, but it's pretty tiring. And, of course, we know all the secret ways of the tree, all the whorls and knots that can let you move around anywhere we like. Not that the humans who bought the branches from the Vedrfolnir like it very much, but we didn't sign those agreements...

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TurninTrix posted:

me me me

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Andor ("Slippy")

Born to unknown parents and left in an orphanage, "Slippy" found his calling shortly after the Convergence turned him and the other orphans onto the streets; much faster and more athletic them most of the other urchins, he was a skilled thief, dashing into places and out with food and other items before he could be caught. On the rare occasions he was seen, he found it effortless to slip out of their reach and escape, leading to his nickname. As he got older his speed only grew, until he became a minor legend amongst the street gangs that grew in the wake of the Convergence (though his good lucks and wit didn't hurt either). For awhile he wondered who he really was, why he had the gift of super speed, and what the deal was with his sorta semicircle birthmark on his back was, but absent of any answers, he put it out of his mind.

Funny enough, his recruitment into Folkvangr was caused by Ragnarok just after he turned 18. Three times agents from the terrorist group approached him, less friendly each time, trying to get him to join up. It was in the third attempt that Folkvangr came to his rescue, prompting him to join immediately when asked. Since then, Ragnarok has not given up their attempts to bring him over; someone in a high positions there wants him alive, and he has no desire to join them and their evil ways. For now he sticks with Folkvangr as one of their youngest members, putting his speed to the test, fighting the good fight for Midgard's Root. He has a more intimate connection to many of the citizens of the city thanks to his upbringing, and keeps close ties with many of the gangs he used to run with, even if he's one of the longlegs to them now. Still kinda wishes Folkvangr paid a bit better.

Wise-cracking poor boy speedster who is probably kinda weird human Sleipnir that Papa Loki wants on his side

Rumor on the Streets posted:

Did'ja hear about the Alleyway Labyrinth? Word is it there's a whole neighborhood where space stops matterin'. Go down one way, turn around, and you'll end up somewhere completely different! Impossible to find your way out! Thing is, it's growin' BIGGER! Kin are leaving their homes as each morn the tangled streets get a bit closer! Nobody knows what's causing it, but I hear there's a whole group of people living in there! Who knows what they do or eat to get by! I wonder what's sittin' in the center...could be worth a lot!

Resistances [6D]
Composure 2D
Fortitude 3D
Reaction 3D
Will 2D

Aptitudes [6D]
Athleticism 3D
Sleight of Hand 3D
Streetwise 2D
Presence 3D

Powers [10D]
Super Leap 3D
Super Running 2D
Super Speed (Split Action) 4+1D

Advantages [2D]
Allies (urchin gangs) 1D
Attractive 1D

Disadvantages [-4D]
Enemy (Loki) -2D
Mental Hindrance: Kleptomania -1D
Poor -1D

Competency Pool [5D]

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 6, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Super dig all the apps so far. :allears:

So, just want to ask a few questions, since I want to get a handle on your characters. You're not required to answer or anything like that, but why not, right?

I'm closing apps sometime today if anyone wants to make a last minute run, then make picks within the next few days.

Sagishi-no-hime (Yami Fenrir)
So, even if most of the Folkvangr don't realize your true involvement with them, the kitsune don't have the best reputation in Midgard's Root. How are you earning the group's trust, if you're making that attempt at all?

Ingeborg Menjasdóttir (Bendigeidfran)
What's greatest piece of loot you've plundered and how did you lose it to Valhalla Company?

Erinyes (Comrade Gorbash)
How do you keep your pop star life and your superhero life separate? Where are the points where they dangerously overlap?

Fenghuang (K Prime)
The light elves in Midgard's Root are represented by the Councillor of Alfheim. How do their interests conflict with your mission against Huanglong? Do you defer to their authority?

Immortal Aether (Winson_Paine)
With ancient gods and mythological beings proven real (or at least proven to be beings from other dimensions), how do you stay competitive and appealing in the "belief" market, so to speak?

and what's up with those lizard people

Teyol (Velyoukai)
Living that long a life, you've probably had your fair share of conflict and enemies. What is the one demon from your past that's finally catching up to you?

Sir Jonathan Calderone (Daraken)
How do you define your code of chivalry? What happened the last time your code was sorely tested?

Sylvi Quist (Alien Rope Burn)
What is it like to visit Skyroot and the other communities now living in Yggdrasil's bark? Do you think your tribe could ever get along with the humans as they once did with the Vedrfolnir and Nidhögg?

Andor (ProfessorCirno)
What does family mean to you? And who would you consider as part of "your family"?

Everyone
If you had the power to alter the Nine Realms in a cosmic level, what's the first thing you would do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

TurninTrix posted:

Sagishi-no-hime (Yami Fenrir)
So, even if most of the Folkvangr don't realize your true involvement with them, the kitsune don't have the best reputation in Midgard's Root. How are you earning the group's trust, if you're making that attempt at all?

Everyone
If you had the power to alter the Nine Realms in a cosmic level, what's the first thing you would do?

Sagishi-no-hime has always believed in the notion that actions speak both louder and truer than words can (this is quite common in kitsune communities). Showing the commander her true form was simply a way of showing her trust in him. She doesn't intend to reveal her true form unless absolutely necessary. The commander knowing about her secret is enough to her. In her mind, simply being a reliable member of the team and sticking with them when push comes to shove should be a sign of trustworthiness enough. If it's not, it doesn't really matter to her - after all, she works with Folkvangr out of her duty to Inari, not out of actual conviction. She'll simply work on another squad of Folkvangr's, or even alone if she has to.

What would she do if she had that power? It's a close call. She'd either completely get rid of Inugami and his accursed servants, or rewind time and stop Yggdrasil from breaking through into this world - both would get a lot of hassle out of her way, and help out other Kitsune by proxy.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 3, 2015

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Destrado posted:

Inevitable early interest post to be followed by last minute submission goes here.

Echo of the Many Hymns, Last of the Freelance Muses

In a past age, when heroes were known by song and story, the epic poets would always open with an invocation to the muses. A plea for the talent to do their art justice. It was understood that talent was something fickle, flickering, and bestowed only on the worthy. In this second heroic age, of course, things are a little different. There's appearance fees, twelve-show tours of the Skyroot, non-compete clauses. Those other bitches went corporate.

But there's still a name that's whispered down under the shadow of the world tree, by those who look up through the branches and dream of a better life: Polyhymnia. The invocations are a little different of course. Less "Sing, oh Muse, of the hero Achilles" and more "oh great polyhymnia please bestow unto me wicked smarts and not unto that guy Jakob because he is a dick", but the intent is still there. A small offering is considered traditional (Cash or Credchip accepted, 3% surcharge for Asgard Express chips). A mythological entity's gotta eat, after all. But with a flash of light and a touch of benefaction, a worthy aspirant can find themselves gifted with untold talent in the finer arts: Gifts of song, of tongues, or of being able to throw a car thirty feet. And then when you turn your head, to perhaps suggest the car thing is very nice but you just wanted to be able to hit an F sharp, she's gone in another flash. Hey, the muses are fickle, okay?

But there's a certain freedom in remaining freelance and not signing on with one of the major media/military conglomerates to boost sales of whatever vat-grown vocaloid or cyborg killing machine is in this season (sometimes it's both). After all, you get to watch the little guy make it big. And maybe increase your fee accordingly. And sure, what with the backlog of aspirants sometimes an enterprising young inspiration consultant has to cut a few corners: That great poem might sound a little like last year's number 3 chart hit. Your new laser eyes might just be similar in colour and hue to the ones Mimir's Head was using to blast netherbeasts on the evening news last night. Look, do you want these amazing gifts or not? Plenty of other guys who'd kill for laser eyes, slightly familiar or otherwise.

Sometimes it's not anything so flashy, it's just being slightly better at being yourself when you're in a bind. After all, you don't call on Polyhymnia when you need a hero. You call on Polyhymnia when you need to be one. And don't tell anyone about it, but sometimes she gifts the real underdogs for free. But she'll grit her teeth while doing it.

Which isn't to say that a minor deity of inspiration and song can't have a little secondment now and then. In their slightly more pragmatic terms, Folkvangr have classified Echo as a force multiplier. It turns out the whole appearing-disappearing inspiration schtick might have certain applications in the tactical insertion and extraction of agents under fire. Echo is only interested in it for the extra money, and not because saving the earth and all its offshoots is something a deity of such poise and grace could be bothered to be interested in. Totally.

Just ignore the business holocards she's fabbed that read "Polyhymnia: Tactical Inspiration Consultant"

quote:

Resistances (8D)
Will 4D
Reaction 3D
Composure 3D
Fortitude 2D

Aptitudes (6D)
Athleticism 3D
Performance 3D
Presence 3D

Powers (7D)
Mimic Power 3D
Imbue 3D (Complication: Touch only -1D)
Teleportation 2D

Advantages

Disadvantages (-1D)
Minor Mental Hindrance: Vain -1D
Celebrity: -1D

Competency Pool 5D

Destrado fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 3, 2015

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

TurninTrix posted:

Fenghuang (K Prime)
The light elves in Midgard's Root are represented by the Councillor of Alfheim. How do their interests conflict with your mission against Huanglong? Do you defer to their authority?

Well frankly dear fellow, the only light elves that would leave Alfheim are those that are similarly... disenchanted with the place as Huanglong and I. And the ones that would settle permanently in Midgard's Root? They share more of my lover's propensities than mine. In short, they are closer to Longie's support group than any sort of friends of mine, held back from joining that ridiculous group of apocalyptic idiots only by their own fear. So no, I don't listen to them at all. They gave up any claim to power when they betrayed the principles we stand for.

quote:

Everyone

I'd remove the concept of boredom. It's such a stupid idea and it keeps everyone tired and sad all the time trying to avoid it. If everyone could just be satisfied with whatever it was they were doing, wouldn't that make things so much easier?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TurninTrix posted:

Immortal Aether (Winson_Paine)
With ancient gods and mythological beings proven real (or at least proven to be beings from other dimensions), how do you stay competitive and appealing in the "belief" market, so to speak?

and what's up with those lizard people

Turns out human credulity never goes out of style. My competition nowadays isn't so much with other gods and godesses but with pay for play psychics, moon landing deniers, Log Cabin Republicans, basically anybody who refuses to see reality for what it is and clings to what it ain't. That, alas, is my margin anymore. It's not a bad gig, tho. I'm not what I used to be, but I have a lot more fun now. Also, I just bought a Wii, and that thing is amazing.

quote:

Everyone

That quantum mechanics horseshit? gently caress you guys, turns out Aristotle and Newton were right all along. Drop that poo poo off a tower, watch it hit the ground, right?

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.

TurninTrix posted:

Sir Jonathan Calderone (Daraken)
How do you define your code of chivalry? What happened the last time your code was sorely tested?
The code I choose to follow is an ideal to strive for, a guide to doing good in this modern age. To be courteous to others and merciful to the defeated. To help the weak and serve justice wherever I may. Qualities that would make this world a better place.

Of course life isn't black and white. I remember a particularly odious individual, who had a habit of dealing drugs to surly teenagers. The first time we met, he immediately plead for mercy when he laid eyes upon me and promised to never to show his face around here again. Our second encounter, I broke his arm and destroyed his foul merchandise before he ran away like the hounds of Hel were after him. It was our third and final meeting where I found him standing above the convulsing body of a teenaged girl, syringe in hand. Maybe if I was a better man I could have gotten through to him, made more of an effort to change him. Or done my duty and ensured that he'd be properly arrested, as the law demanded. But I'm not perfect. All I can say is that there's one less criminal out on the streets now.

quote:

Everyone
'Life isn't fair'. A common complaint and excuse for the how the world works. But what if it was fair, if justice a natural law of the universe? And...god help me. I'd try to bring my family back. A selfish wish perhaps, but I'm only human.

Daraken fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 4, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

A little belated, I guess, but I wrote some key NPCs. :U

Sigurd, Commander of the Folkvangr
A formerly-renowned Æsir, Sigurd's deeds are legendary. He slew the terrible dragon Fafnir and ate his heart for power, plundered treasure across all the Nine Realms, and led the Æsir against the treacherous Vanir in glorious war. He should have been the greatest hero in Asgard. But he chose Midgard as his home, humanity as his family. When Asgard forced him to choose loyalties, he and several devoted companions stayed on Earth to become her protector. Any doubts to his commitment towards that mission went up with smoke with the remains of the Æsir warship Naglfar and countless Einherjar legions.

The Convergence has made his mission... complicated, so to speak. Incursions to the Nine Realms no longer happen in isolated places across Earth, they're all happening in one, huge city. He formed the Folkvangr with the support of the goddess Freyja as a proactive force to confront the machinations of the Æsir and keep Midgard safe from the madness of the other realms. Though more of a field sergeant than a general, he entrusts his operatives to do whatever is neccessary and takes command from the Sessrúmnir. Right now, he's also on a personal mission to investigate one of the newer members of RAGNAROK: the shieldmaiden Brynhildr.

Lisa "Decima" Wells, Second in Command of the Folkvangr
College student, part-time library assistant, and legendary World of Warcraft player. Lisa Wells led a simple, if overly meticulous life and only made the fatal error of working in a neighborhood that transformed into the foundation of the great tree Yggdrasil. The collapsing rubble from the earthquake killed her first. Then the writhing trunk and roots of the world tree encased what was left of her body. For a time, she became just another terrible casualty of the Convergence. And then, her conscious mind just simply... floated away from her body and left the tree.

Even now, Lisa can't probably explain the phenomenon. Like, the Convergence altered the laws reality in a small space, but not every death resulted in a "ghost" ("astral body"?) like her. What's more, she discovered that her own body became entangled with the invisible strings of destiny that make up Yggdrasil's body. That somehow gave her the power to see these threads within objects and people, measuring them to glimpse their past and future. She wants all sorts of answers: about her condition, the true nature of the world tree, and the possibility of a final death. This made Sigurd's offer to help her very attractive. Now going by her alias, Decima works in the Folkvangr as a mission coordinator and most importantly, an information manipulator. She keeps the secret organization secret to the people who can hurt them.

Miriam Shaw, Pilot of the Sessrúmnir
Formerly part of Hong Kong's Special Duties Unit, Miriam has dealt with plenty of strange cases early in her career, stuff that only peered into a wider, esoteric world. And that light veil got torn apart rather handily when she started hanging out with a man named Sigurd. He offered good pay for her services, then brought her all over the world to contain the strangeness in every corner of the world. Atlanteans building forward bases in the Laurentian Abyss, cults summoning the serpent Jormungandr in Sweden, Hercules rampaging in New York... she recounts those stories today with such passion and nostalgia, it almost like she's been doing this sort of thing for decades. But that doesn't make sense, didn't the Convergence only happen a few years ago?

Well, whatever. Miriam picked up a lot of skills over her long life and you won't find a more capable pilot for Folkvangr's airship base. And while she's always going to act the tough, action hero stereotype, truth is, she really wants to live long enough to see her grandkids graduate. So she's content to just offer advice, emergency extractions, and the occasional air bombardment to support Folkvangr teams in the field.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 4, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh yeah.

Polyhymnia (Destrado)
Have you ever regretted empowering a mortal? Why?

+ the question everyone gets.

EDIT: Gonna go ahead and say that apps are closed too. Thanks for your interest again!

Mitama fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

TurninTrix posted:

Polyhymnia (Destrado)
Have you ever regretted empowering a mortal? Why?

Okay, I get what you're unsubtly alluding to here and let me first say: how dare you and secondly might I remind you that I was cleared of all charges. I'm a Muse, not an Oracle. It turns out "worthiness" is particularly hard to define. Maybe in the old days, sure, it's not like anyone was going to get hurt with a particularly stirring epic recital, but in the powers game things are a little different. One day you're gifting a guy the irresistible force, and the next day you're making someone the immovable object. That's the business. If the underdog stayed the underdog I wouldn't exactly call that customer satisfaction. And of course the gifts fade, or else you'd just be putting tomorrow's jackboots on today's downtrodden.

Ennis was a good kid, though. It's tough for people in those corners of Worldroot that have never been out of the shade. I mean he just wanted to be able to protect his family. "Protect", it turns out, also particularly hard to define. I heard they found pieces of the guys that had been extorting them halfway up the root. It's funny how occasionally those who've taken so much poo poo get so keen to give it back out. But none of that's my fault! I mean just because you hand someone a gun doesn't mean you're responsible when they... load it, and... you know what, this analogy has gotten away from me.

What I mean is I try to stay away from the real dangerous cases. I can gift the great power, but it doesn't come with the great responsibility. So yeah, sometimes I regret it, but it won't ever stop me from doing it again. (ps not my fault!)

TurninTrix posted:

Everyone

Other than unite everyone in the unconditional praise and fealty of a wise and benevolent god, here's what you do: You just grab the largest branch of almighty Ygg you can, and you twist. Metaphorically, sure, but literally couldn't hurt. The eight other realms should take a tip from Midgard: things should be rotating. None of this thousand generations of the crusted-on status quo, a little movement always helps.

Destrado fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 5, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

TurninTrix posted:

Erinyes (Comrade Gorbash)
How do you keep your pop star life and your superhero life separate? Where are the points where they dangerously overlap?

Well the easy part is that I wear a disguise! 'Cause of the implants I have from when I got hurt, plus stuff for my performances, I can change my hair color and eye color. It's not just AR or holo, they actually change! That's super useful. Plus the suit has some lightbenders built in, so it changes the way my face looks.

And you know, you have to be pretty quick with makeup to do idol stuff. So I use different eye-shadow and do my eyebrows different when I'm Erinyes than when I'm Iris. And you know the suit makes me look bigger. Just not wearing glasses or goggles and not being shy helps too! Easy stuff!

There are some full on holo-emitters in the suit too just in case, but I don't like relying on it. If they break then my disguise is completely gone.

The real problem is my voice. It's uh, kind of distinctive, and lots of people know it. I can kind of adopt a different tone and all, but anytime I have to like shout at someone, it's a risk. There's only so much you can do with modulators and stuff! It's usually pretty obvious and if you know it's being done you can undo it a bit and then I'm screwed. I could use a totally artificial one but uuuuuugh those sound so awful.

Anyways being an idol actually helps with some of this superhero stuff! If I need to ditch something, I can say its because of music practice or a signing thing or whatever. And since I'm doing private tutoring for classes, I can ditch idol stuff by saying I need to do school stuff. It helps that Haephi is my primary tutor!

But having all those things is where my two identities bang into each other. I don't exactly have free time. I'm always supposed to be somewhere so if I'm not... Especially since I'm missing during bad stuff happening. It'd help if I had other people to cover for me, I guess...

TurninTrix posted:

Everyone
These questions are the worst. If you don't say something like "end all wars for ever!" or "give everyone a puppy!" you sound like a total jerk, but if you do say that you sound like either you're dumb or pandering or whatever.

And then there's the other stuff you could say, like... fixing something bad that happened to you. But that doesn't really feel right.

So um... I guess if we say all the good-hearted stuff is a given... It may sound weird, but what I'd want is for everyone to be able to make music. Like, without having to learn or practice. Everyone just knows how to sing or play an instrument. I don't think it would really make people understand each other better or anything like that. But wouldn't it be cool if whenever people got together they'd just make music?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 5, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

TurninTrix posted:

Ingeborg Menjasdóttir (Bendigeidfran)
What's greatest piece of loot you've plundered and how did you lose it to Valhalla Company?

Oh, it was so marvelous my memory banks still hum at the thought. A heartstring of All-Father Ymir himself. Radiating colors in every spectrum, rippling the flow of time with each mighty beat! Think of the treasures that Brother Rungne, no, that any smith in the Nine Realms could make after a mere glance at it. With its secrets the humble wisps of Muspelheim could build a palace rivaling Valhalla! I would weep at the loss, if my visor allowed it.

But I should begin the story. One of your human "Agencies" had unearthed the string and thought they could transport it in one of their pathetic trucks. Do they always think they're so clever? You could conquer half of Midgard with the mob that was shadowing it. I simply followed their wake until the truck exploded by the bay.

There was a fine scuffle at the scene. A hailstorm of missiles from cliffside Amazons, a Nephilim blasting away with his cannon, bands of oni knocking sedans at the guards still left standing. And I bested the lot of them! I hefted all who stood in my way into the ocean's waves, and raised the string above me in victory. My next step however...ah, it- it was a mistake. The joy must have rushed to my head, made me drunk. I'd called down the lightning to mark my triumph.

Valhalla Company appeared after that. Appeared around me, above me. And I do not remember what happened next. Nothing. Only a Valkyrie's horn-blast and the ruined forms of the other fighters. The finest minds in Utgard, my own creators, could not dredge the data from my core. They had taken the heartstring and left its memory in me out of spite. They will regret that.

TurninTrix posted:

Everyone

Midgard's Root is a wondrous place. There should be more like it! I would build a ship to travel the spaces between stars, through the seams within time. Use it to fuse the furthest reaches of existence to this knot in the Realms. I'd bring Convergence to lands beyond even the gods' imagination! To test my mettle against myths still unspoken, and those that have vanished from the worlds. Nothing would be more grand!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TurninTrix posted:

Sylvi Quist (Alien Rope Burn)
What is it like to visit Skyroot and the other communities now living in Yggdrasil's bark?

I'm sure most of my people'd never admit it, but it is something to see all those lights up in the trees. What's funny is that most of the people really, really don't seem suited for it; the only way they survive is having humans supply them from the surface. They don't even know how to climb or harvest the far branches! I don't really understand what they think they're doing, but they seem so serious about it. They seem to think that being higher literally puts them over other people. I mean, isn't that a pretty childish notion? It'd be funny, if it wasn't for all the guns...

They're also really, really serious about their stuff. It feels a bit silly that the Æsir called us squirrels, when it's humans that are packing all sorts of things away in the tree.

TurninTrix posted:

Do you think your tribe could ever get along with the humans as they once did with the Vedrfolnir and Nidhögg?

Of course I do! How could I not? I mean... it's hard right now, but I'm sure in time others in my tribe will come to understand. I mean, if we're going to build, we're going to have to accept others... the humans included. It's hard to convince some of the others, with humans being so... frail, to be rude about it? But they know a lot we're going to need to know. Maybe we won't be a tribe forever. Maybe we'll be a company or some other strange thing. But we're going to need to change a lot. It's not that I think we should. We don't have a choice, we're going to change, and we may as well seek humanity's help in forging the right path.

TurninTrix posted:

I'd make sure everybody has a real chance to follow their dreams. It's tough seeing so many struggle here on Earth, trying to find their way, but I think everybody should be able to achieve their hopes as long as it doesn't disrupt the harmony of others. I guess that's a silly thing to say, you can wish for people to peaceful or happy, but I think if everybody found what they were looking for, we'd have both of those things and an even more wondrous world.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

TurninTrix posted:

Andor (ProfessorCirno)
What does family mean to you? And who would you consider as part of "your family"?

It's the group you run with. I ain't never had a proper "family," but then neither did anyone else I lived with, so we made it each other. We had the orphanage at first, but it was destroyed in the Convergence, so me and the others became the Third Sock Alleycats. We got older siblings and younger siblings just like anyone else. We bicker and fight, but we always band together if one of the other gangs tries to throw down. Of course that don't happen much anymore; the Fisher Kings - they're a one of the groups that formed after the Convergence, but they're a lot weirder then most - try to keep the peace amongst us kid gangs. Once you get old enough you become a longlegs and have to graduate and leave the gang, but that's just leaving the nest, you know? It ain't like they HATE you, it just ain't your place no more. Nowadays I guess Folkvangr counts, though I still got lots of good friends amidst the roofs and alleys. I hope Folkvangr feels the same way.

quote:

Everyone

Everyone gets a warm house and plenty of food.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 6, 2015

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

TurninTrix posted:

Teyol (Velyoukai)
Living that long a life, you've probably had your fair share of conflict and enemies. What is the one demon from your past that's finally catching up to you?
Nasty things, demons. They've no taste, you see, and not just in a sense of dramatics or reading the mood. The literally damned things simply taste terrible, like ashes in what I suppose now would be one's mouth. They don't have anything to offer, see, that would actually be theirs to offer. Soulless wretches that just barely don't count as undead, but still don't count as part of the living. Even worse, their spoiled existences weren't tied to anything that I could devour in the slightest. I still don't get how, largely because even now I don't care how those disgusting little things work, but even those demons who were offered to me seem to just...be reborn after a long enough while.

Belial was one of the worst in that regard. Nasty bugger, the type of demon what didn't even bother with hubris and overwhelming arrogance like the rest of his kin. All that scum, Belial, seemed to take value in was destruction, destruction, destruction! For a while, I even made good use of him; a destructive demon like Belial isn't in the business of saving lives compared to tearing the life from them. So maybe I piggybacked the oaf and took my time swallowing all the various lives he cut down.

At least, I did until that wretched flying worm turned on me and threatened to burn me in everlasting flames for 'being a parasite'. What a stupid, stupid demon. Stupid Belial. Even worse that I was chased off from the moral realm until the damned demon was cut down by one of the Archangels. Even so, I have to tread carefully in the presence of even the lesser, insignificant demons, unless one of them has enough brains to report my existence and weaknesses to Belial. Even if an Archangel broke the wretch's back, I wouldn't doubt that demon's ability to come back at the worst possible time.

TurninTrix posted:

Everyone

Easy. I'd devour all the immortality in the Nine Realms. Stupid, senseless thing, being unable to die. All things must die for new things to come into play, but those gods and their pets seem to think themselves outside the cycle of Life and Death. Once I have enough power devoured, I'll gladly show those immortal blowhards just how far outclassed they are without their precious immortality.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Velyoukai posted:

Easy. I'd devour all the immortality in the Nine Realms. Stupid, senseless thing, being unable to die. All things must die for new things to come into play, but those gods and their pets seem to think themselves outside the cycle of Life and Death. Once I have enough power devoured, I'll gladly show those immortal blowhards just how far outclassed they are without their precious immortality.

You come over if you think you're hard enough, boyo.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

You come over if you think you're hard enough, boyo.

You could taunt a million times more and it still wouldn't be worth wading through the endless pictures of cats and the bird noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

And in the corner, Sagishi-no-hime sighed, thinking "here they go again..."

• Locked thread