Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
So why can't I get married in Auschwitz-Birkenau?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
edgy

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Ancient Mariner posted:

So why can't I get married in Auschwitz-Birkenau?

Because no one wants to marry you.

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
if white trash southerners can get married at a historic monument to human suffering why can't I, glorious eurotrash, hold the ceremony of everlasting love at one in europe?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Because mail order brides are outside your price range.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
"We got the Schwitz for the ceremony!!!!"
#SchwitzWedding

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Why can't you? Have you looked into it?

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Lame setup OP, none of my awesome holocaust punchlines fit. Shameful.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

burritolingus posted:

Because no one wants to marry you.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

burritolingus posted:

Because mail order brides are outside your price range.

The trick is to buy in bulk and Ebay the excess.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
suck my dick

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

At least it would be a short trip to gas OP

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seriously I'm pretty sure the answer is "because Auschwitz is a name people know and it is not pretty"

If a particular plantation was famous primarily for murdering millions of slaves, and that plantation was also not visually appealing to look upon, it probably would not be a popular wedding venue, but because individual plantations don't have notoriety and are pretty, they get a pass.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
we have this hilarious photo where we're standing under the arbeit macht frei sign and my wife is looking at my like "you better work" and im like "uh oh" lol

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Seriously I'm pretty sure the answer is "because Auschwitz is a name people know and it is not pretty"

If a particular plantation was famous primarily for murdering millions of slaves, and that plantation was also not visually appealing to look upon, it probably would not be a popular wedding venue, but because individual plantations don't have notoriety and are pretty, they get a pass.

well good thing you remind guests about that bad poo poo when rooms for travelling guests at destination plantation weddings are in small buildings where the slave quarters used to be

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the OP makes a good point tbh

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, also another factor is that the Nazi regime fell in disgrace

If the US government fell and its replacement condemned it loudly and publicly for reasons which included its protection and defense of slavery for way way too long, I kinda doubt that people would be getting married at plantations anymore

Also the passage of time is probably a big one, who knows what people will be doing with those camps in a hundred years

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Oh boy when my parents were in Germany, my dad had his sister in law crawl inside one of the ovens at Dachau for photos. Ah the 80's. Bet they won't let you do that today.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's hosed up to get married at a plantation. Hope that helps.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
never heard of a wedding but it's quite common to have your shower there

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

What's your opinion on this place: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/port-orleans-resort-riverside/ (it used to be called "dixie landings")

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
People died there for gods sake. Getting married where someone died a million years ago is just wrong

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pick posted:

It definitely is yeah, Southern pride is a weird thing

Ancient Mariner posted:

What's your opinion on this place: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/port-orleans-resort-riverside/ (it used to be called "dixie landings")

I stayed there when I was five years old! I think my parents' justification was "it looks nice and is one of the cheaper ones" but I never asked

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
because plantations are usually very pretty places and autchwitz is not a very pretty place

just checked to make sure and yah autchwitz looks at best like a housing projects.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

never heard of a wedding but it's quite common to have your shower there

:vince:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Beef Turret posted:

People died there for gods sake. Getting married where someone died a million years ago is just wrong

yeah i mean when you think about all the grandfathers that died falling out of guard towers there, i can't imagine why anyone would find it romantic

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

op i mean if you get wedded at any european cathedral odds are good someone died a really terrible and unjust death there at some point in history, so take heart and god bless

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Smash it Smash hit posted:

because plantations are usually very pretty places and autchwitz is not a very pretty place

just checked to make sure and yah autchwitz looks at best like a housing projects.

at least auschwitz is honest in an aesthetical sense, then; an ugly place for an uglier purpose

makes plantations that much more awful

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Edgar posted:

Oh boy when my parents were in Germany, my dad had his sister in law crawl inside one of the ovens at Dachau for photos. Ah the 80's. Bet they won't let you do that today.

At Dachau the crematoriums are now weird shrine things that you can walk into. They look like sets for a sci-fi movie.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
omg lol OP ...ill let you know a little hint... its because of the holocaust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ancient Mariner posted:

I've never been to a Disney resort because my parents are misers.

• Locked thread