Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

It's World Goth Day today.
I've never heard of such a thing, but apparently it exists.

How will you celebrate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I.C. posted:

How will you celebrate?

By reminding people wearing all black that Arizona might not be the best place for them. For a whole lot of reasons

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I.C. posted:

How will you celebrate?

It's like open season on any other hunting stock, you kill as many as allowed by your license.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

I was completely unaware of this, but I did listen to Type O Negative today.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I'm having ankhs for dinner!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

The Goths (Gothic: *Gut-þiuda,[2] * Gutans[3]; Old Norse: Gutar/Gotar; Latin: Gothi; Greek: Γότθοι, Gótthoi) were an East Germanic people, two of whose branches, the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths, played an important role in the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the emergence of Medieval Europe.

An important source of knowledge of the Goths is Getica, a semi-fictional account, written in the 6th century by the Roman historian Jordanes, of their migration from southern Scandza (Scandinavia), into Gothiscandza—believed to be the lower Vistula region in modern Pomerania—and from there to the coast of the Black Sea. Archaeological evidence from the Pomeranian Wielbark culture and the Chernyakhov culture, northeast of the lower Danube, confirms that some such migration did in fact take place. In the 3rd century, the Goths crossed either the lower Danube or the Black Sea, ravaged the Balkans and Anatolia as far as Cyprus, and sacked Athens, Byzantium, and Sparta.[4] By the 4th century, the Goths had captured Dacia,[5][6] and were divided into at least two distinct groups separated by the Dniester River, the Thervingi (led by the Balti dynasty) and the Greuthungi (led by the Amali dynasty). The Goths dominated a vast area,[7] which at its peak under the King Ermanaric and his sub-king Athanaric possibly extended all the way from the Danube to the Ural mountains, and from the Black to the Baltic Sea.[8][9] In the late 4th century, the Huns came from the east and invaded the region controlled by the Goths. Although the Huns successfully subdued many of the Goths, who joined their ranks, a group of Goths led by Fritigern fled across the Danube. They then revolted against the Roman Empire, winning a decisive victory at the Battle of Adrianople. By this time the Gothic missionary Wulfila, who devised the Gothic alphabet to translate the Bible, had converted many of the Goths from paganism to Arian Christianity. In the 4th, 5th, and 6th centuries the Goths separated into two main branches, the Visigoths, who became federates of the Romans, and the Ostrogoths, who joined the Huns.

After the Ostrogoths successfully revolted against the Huns at the Battle of Nedao in 454, their leader Theodoric the Great settled his people in Italy, founding a kingdom which eventually gained control of the whole peninsula. Shortly after Theodoric's death in 526, the country was captured by the Byzantine Empire, in a war that devastated and depopulated the peninsula.[10] After their able leader Totila was killed at the Battle of Taginae, effective Ostrogothic resistance ended, and the remaining Goths were assimilated by the Lombards, another Germanic tribe, who invaded Italy and founded a kingdom in the northern part of the country in 567 AD.

The Visigoths sacked Rome under Alaric I in 410, defeated Attila at the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains under Theodoric I in 451, and founded a kingdom in Aquitaine. The Visigoths were pushed to Hispania by the Franks following the Battle of Vouillé in 507. By the late 6th century, the Visigoths had converted to Catholicism. They were conquered in the early 8th century by the Muslim Moors, but began to regain control under the leadership of the Visigothic nobleman Pelagius, whose victory at the Battle of Covadonga began the centuries-long Reconquista. The Visigoths founded the Kingdom of Asturias, which eventually evolved into modern Spain and Portugal.[11]

Gothic language and culture largely disappeared during the Middle Ages, although its influence continued to be felt in small ways in some western European states. As late as the 16th century a small number of people in the Crimea may still have been speaking the Gothic language known as Crimean Gothic.[12]

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Booblord Zagats posted:

By reminding people wearing all black that Arizona might not be the best place for them. For a whole lot of reasons

Sup Arizona buddy!

Though for real all the Native American dudes in AZ at all the heavy metal shows I've been to, they're thrashing around under the desert sun in the mosh pit in boots, black cargo pants and loving black sweatshirts, and they seem fine with it. Truly the hardiest of goths.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

im going to dig a hole, cover it with leaves, and put a boombox playing this on top of the leaves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnKdBIRiRM

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Fun fact: I looked up my name one time and one meaning is "One of the Goths."

My entire wardrobe is black! I'm not Goth though.

What's your favorite Goth band?

Mine is The Damned, which is not actually Goth, but Goth people do like them.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
ill celebrate by suggesting you eat poo poo op

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Thingyman posted:

im going to dig a hole, cover it with leaves, and put a boombox playing this on top of the leaves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnKdBIRiRM

How the gently caress is Korn goth? Its buttrock/numetal trash.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Do goth clubs still exsist? Do they have bouncers that enforce a goth dress code or can you roll up in a nice blazer with a tie and matching pocketsquare.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Hobohemian posted:

Do goth clubs still exsist? Do they have bouncers that enforce a goth dress code or can you roll up in a nice blazer with a tie and matching pocketsquare.

ahaha you did that didn't you

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

gnarlyhotep posted:

I totally would, but I don't think there are any goths in San Diego. Too much sun and fun outdoor activities.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Goth things to do:

1. Revel in your loneliness
2. Light candles
3. Write poetry (under 25 only)
4. Think about your hairstyle a lot
5. Smoke cloves/have a lot of cocktails

Bats are Goth.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

skeletonotherkin posted:

How the gently caress is Korn goth? Its buttrock/numetal trash.

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009
i will celebrate by watching and appreciating this fantastic video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQjtFc8sNtI

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

That's what's up.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
taking my mom out to dinner to celebrate :)

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Every Goth Gets Slapped By Their Mom Day

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

when i was 14 i had a spiked bracelet and dressed all in black. at a family dinner function everyone was talking and there was a lull in the conversation and my grandpa goes "SO WHATS GOTH ABOUT?!" really loud at me.
i slunked into my oversized skull bandana never to be seen again

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

We're forgetting the important thing here, Goth is and always will be better than Emo.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

skeletonotherkin posted:

We're forgetting the important thing here, Goth is and always will be better than Emo.

I remember that month Dashboard Confessional was popular.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

Guy I know got poo poo from a bouncer for showing up to a club on "industrial night" wearing jeans and Michael Vick jersey.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

when is World Juggalo Day?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

when is World Juggalo Day?

Every day, ninja. Every day.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Hasn't Andrew Eldritch performed in a yellow track suit in order to troll his fans?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm staying inside so I don't have to interact with people

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hobohemian posted:

I'm 99% sure world goth day is a conspiracy by goth clubs to drum up business

also the bouncers don't do that but other people might give you the stink eye.

i go to industrial shows and tend to interact with the people who work there more than the customers for that reason

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

skeletonotherkin posted:

Hasn't Andrew Eldritch performed in a yellow track suit in order to troll his fans?

I hope so! Goth people are VERY SERIOUS and do not like to be made fun of.

Speaking of which...

Hobohemian posted:

I went to Goth night at the only place in town that held one maybe 12 years ago. My best friend and I wore all this day-glo colorful poo poo and smiled at everyone and everyone sneered at us for ruining everything! It was very funny.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Goth Teen Spirit best version hands down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMWy4kEbsic
"load up on drugs, kill your friends..."

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm 99% sure world goth day is a conspiracy by goth clubs to drum up business

also the bouncers don't do that but other people might give you the stink eye.

i go to industrial shows and tend to interact with the people who work there more than the customers for that reason

Yo.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Hobohemian posted:

they have conventions on cruise ships, of all places. i hear its a great time to go because the deck is mostly empty.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

LegoPirateNinja posted:

they have conventions on cruise ships, of all places. i hear its a great time to go because the deck is mostly empty.

the Goth Cruise/Weezer Cruise are actually held on the same boat and nobody notices

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Indeed? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y65lERfzNNE

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELKVW8HiUTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPdNp3Qbgw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PtvIr2oiaE

this is about as goth as i get

:drac: :shrug: :ninja:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 23, 2015

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

http://www.nin.com/strobelight/

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

i'm sorry but non coke snorting, swole, asian waifu Trent Reznor sucks imho

:horse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58HmCW9MR5g

^ peak NIN (actually its the only NIN i ever thought was decent)

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 23, 2015

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Funny.

Also I thought Downward Spiral…?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Nothing wrong with any of this, but I'm giant human being who likes music far more than costume parties.

• Locked thread