Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
like what the gently caress is so wrong with a good old fashioned apostrophe S to determine ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unassertive boy 99
Dec 7, 2014

by Ralp
My's

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
du bist eine blöde Zeige

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
ich bin Homo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
fick dich ins Knie

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
ich nicht verstehen, dumkopf

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
learn russian instead, much more useful language

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
German cases are actually quite easy. Slavic languages have quite confusing cases and Finnish has something retarded like 15 cases.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
genitive is easy dude.

it's the gendered nouns that suck

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

dieser faden saugt

und op ist ein homo

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

und op ist ein homo

doch

op particles and idioms are way harder than the dumb genitive case that isn't even that difficult if you have ever heard of basic rules of grammar. which i mean you probably haven't since you sound like you're probably american and fuckin l o l at public school grammar classes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

German cases are actually quite easy. Slavic languages have quite confusing cases and Finnish has something retarded like 15 cases.

There ain't no reason to talk to a Finn though, it's not like anyone wants to gently caress them and Nokia doesn't make phones people want any more.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

There ain't no reason to talk to a Finn though, it's not like anyone wants to gently caress them and Nokia doesn't make phones people want any more.

Nokia got bought out and most of the employees got fired lol

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

etalian posted:

Nokia got bought out and most of the employees got fired lol

Höø mîē!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also I wish Rand would use balefire to burn Finland out of the web so that the cocksuckers on Reddit would stop posting JO threads about that one sniper.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also I wish Rand would burn Finland out of the web so that the cocksuckers on Reddit would stop posting JO threads about that one sniper.

his greatest exploit was killing many russians.

no wonder why so many people still worship hitler.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RideTheSpiral posted:

why the gently caress would anyone need 15 cases.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hitler had some rally dumb ideas about race but his speeches rule and he seemed to actually care about his peeps and also someone told me he the capital B thing that sounds like an S invented to free the German language from the alphabet of another group of oily moneylenders, the Italians

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

because they are crazy wood elves

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lawman 0 posted:

Latin has 5 but there are two bonus ones that show up sometimes when things get frisky

I like a few cases in a language. Once you hit like 5+ you can basically put the words in your sentence in any order to make jokes better or to write songs or whatever which is a nice feature.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lawman 0 posted:

Finns are very sensitive so they need a language that supports expressing their feelings accurately.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Sheep-Goats posted:

Latin has 5 but there are two bonus ones that show up sometimes when things get frisky

I cannot think of anything less frisky than locative and vocative.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lawman 0 posted:

the 6 in russian are stupid enough. i literally cant imagine 15

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I never got why other languages made things SO loving complicated. Like in german, what are genders all about? How can my horse be masculine or whatever? I find it's gender by seeing if it has a cock and balls, not grammar rules.....aaaaaargh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Naerasa posted:

I cannot think of anything less frisky than locative and vocative.

Imagine your mom splayed out on a bare air mattress in a 90 degree room after I've fed her a handle of bad white wine.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

spud posted:

I never got why other languages made things SO loving complicated. Like in german, what are genders all about? How can my horse be masculine or whatever? I find it's gender by seeing if it has a cock and balls, not grammar rules.....aaaaaargh.

it simplifies communication

when english people are talking to each other half the conversation is saying 'what' to clarify what they are talking about

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RideTheSpiral posted:

it simplifies communication

when english people are talking to each other half the conversation is saying 'what' to clarify what they are talking about

Sorry I dont understand

A horse is a horse. As a table is a table. The gender doesnt change depending on the biological gender of the horse, and the table cannot have a biological gender, so having genders seems redundant.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

spud posted:

Sorry I dont understand

A horse is a horse. As a table is a table. The gender doesnt change depending on the biological gender of the horse, and the table cannot have a biological gender, so having genders seems redundant.

When everything changes then sentences become more compact and clear. English is very flowery with lots of superfluous particles and articles. It's a really stupid language when you break it down

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gender is a hive mind simplification of how to end words which is important for languages with cases and declensions, it's just that some sounds don't roll into other sounds very well so most languages that have gender either have two or three sets of sounds that go together. There are always masculine things that are feminine in gender &c., obviously this has nothing to do with any inherent biology of the thing and calling these sets of sounds masculine or feminine is probably more due to the way Latin was taught to students 1200 years ago than anything else.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Lol @ English which has sentences like:

I was going to go to the shop

Good poo poo.

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006
i blame the russians for not killing every single one of them

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

When everything changes then sentences become more compact and clear. English is very flowery with lots of superfluous particles and articles. It's a really stupid language when you break it down

Gender doesn't help with that brosef, cases do. Also English isn't that bad and we even have some words that have maintained their Indo European alternate forms (I/me/mine, you/your, who/whom, etc) and people still understand pretty instinctively how to use stuff like thee/thou/thy/thine/ye.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

Gender doesn't help with that brosef, cases do. Also English isn't that bad and we even have some words that have maintained their Indo European alternate forms (I/me/mine, you/your, who/whom, etc) and people still understand pretty instinctively how to use stuff like thee/thou/thy/thine/ye.

My German isn't so good but in Slavic languages the adjectives/adverbs take the gender of the noun

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

Lol @ English which has sentences like:

I was going to go to the shop

Good poo poo.

The weirdest thing about English is really the pronunciation rules. That sentence, for example, is usually pronounced "Eyez gunnaguhduhthe shop."

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
what your favorite case? mine is ablative, or as I like to call it, the amblative.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

The weirdest thing about English is really the pronunciation rules. That sentence, for example, is usually pronounced "Eyez gunnaguhduhthe shop."

In English people just don't give a poo poo how they pronounce words

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
these seem to be good german briefcases, hth http://www.braunbuffel.com.au/about-braun-buffel-i-8.html

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

hmm yes I'm a real german person. just gonna get up at 6am to eat an open faced ham sandwich for breakfast before sh aving my chest

after that, a stroll to the marktplatz to buy a pear and two eggs. eine ausgezeichnete Samstag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

In English people just don't give a poo poo how they pronounce words

Yeah but you have to not give a poo poo in the correct way. It's like FYAD.

• Locked thread