Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

It's the anniversary of the Isla Vista Killings

Original thread from last year: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3637102&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post430071883

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-one-year-later-candlelight-vigil-to-mark-isla-vista-shootings-20150523-story.html

quote:

A candlelight vigil and memorial walk are planned Saturday night in Isla Vista -- one year after a young man embarked on a killing spree that left six UC Santa Barbara students dead and several more injured before taking his own life.

The university is hosting the memorial to honor those killed and injured in the attack by gunman Elliot Rodger, 22, who authorities described as a troubled and lonely man who spent nearly two years planning his deadly rampage.

The mother of one of his victims, George Chen, 19, who was a friend of Rodger's roommates, is scheduled to speak at the event that is being held at 7:30 p.m. at People's Park in Isla Vista.

In a written statement, Kelly Wang recalled how she did not get to hear Chen's voice this past Mother's Day.

"It breaks my heart when I think of him," she wrote. "My sweet boy is gone forever, without a sign or warning, without having a chance to say goodbye."

On May 23, 2014, Rodger, stabbed to death his two roommates, and Chen, in their apartment. Three hours later, he went on a shooting rampage, killing three more and wounding 14, according to a nine-month investigation by the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department.

The Casualties:

quote:

Deaths in apartment stabbings
George Chen (19)
Cheng Yuan "James" Hong (20)
Weihan "David" Wang (20)

Deaths from gunshots
Katherine Breann Cooper (22)—shot near sorority house
Christopher Ross Michaels-Martinez (20)—shot inside deli
Veronika Elizabeth Weiss (19)—shot near sorority house

Wounded and injured
Megan Carloto (22) - shot on bicycle
Antoine Cherchian (25) - shot multiple times
Keith Cheung (21) - struck on bicycle by Rodger's car
Bianca de Kock (20) - shot near sorority house
Patrick Eggert (19) 0 struck on bicycle by Rodger's car
Jin Fu - struck by Rodger's car
Victor Garcia - struck by Rodger's car
Elliot Gee - struck on skateboard by Rodger's car
Christopher Hoang - shot multiple times
Mitchell Lyubarsky (21) - struck by Rodger's car
Bailey Maples - shot in the arm
Nick Pasichuke (19) struck on skateboard by Rodger's car
Matthew Smith - shot multiple times
Aaron Zaglin (22) - shot in the arm

Salon updates us on how things have been handled since the massacre

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/22/we_fostered_something_chaotic_and_irresponsible_elliot_rodger_isla_vista_the_echoes_of_a_tragedy/

quote:

“We fostered something chaotic and irresponsible”: Elliot Rodger, Isla Vista & the echoes of a tragedy

The night after the shootings, a colleague and I went to a candlelight vigil in Isla Vista. We walked our candles the several blocks from the campus quad past the Isla Vista Deli where Christopher Michaels-Martinez had lost his life the day before. The windows were shot out; flowers, pictures, and messages covered the ground, mourning a young man who had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Students came up to a microphone one-by-one in Anisq’Oyo’ Park to verbalize what was weighing on them. But already the event had turned in to a call for community, which, to my colleague and me, seemed a precipitous call to move forward, almost insensitive to the seven who had died just hours before.

Mel Weisberger, a sophomore film and media studies major, remembers a temporary change immediately following the shootings. “People were being much nicer to each other, the streets were quieter, and there was an overall feeling that everyone just wanted peace,” she said. “A few weeks passed and we all went home for summer vacation. When I returned in the fall, I realized that for a lot of people, it became fashionable to care.”

Literature major Korrin Alpers, also a sophomore, remembers the hashtag activism born of the massacre. “The hopeful slogan that came out of this event was ‘IV Strong,’” she wrote me. “The tragedy is that we lack ownership—we blame people from out of town, the people who throw wild parties, Greek life, mental illnesses, white privilege, misogyny. And yes, these are all contributing factors to the brokenness in our community, but a large part is our own. Of course, we did not push this young man to open fire in our town. But we did foster something chaotic and irresponsible that for some reason encouraged a sense of entitlement to sex.”

Over my eight years at UCSB as a student and then a teacher, I watched the decline of female safety and agency as the campus culture grew more and more predatory. A female student of mine said she was terrified to walk alone to class in broad daylight. Two others came to my office hours rattled and teary after having been harassed; several were yelled at by police and college men for dressing provocatively. One young woman had PTSD from having been sexually assaulted more than once at college parties, and because of triggers couldn’t read the Faulkner novel I assigned.

After the shooting, the language of grief from the campus administration was typical: a senseless tragedy, young lives taken too soon, etc. The national conversations quickly turned political as advocates for gun control, and those opposed to misogyny and rape culture, used the event to make their points. The university hosted a memorial service-turned-rally.

But what has changed on the ground? Isla Vista, an unincorporated community, doesn’t belong to either the city or the university, and therefore can’t be governed or regulated by either. Kum-Kum Bhavnani, chair of UCSB’s Academic Senate, said the university’s efforts to protect its students is mainly up to its good will. “UC Santa Barbara has for many years voluntarily contributed significant resources (several million dollars annually) to the County for safety efforts in Isla Vista, and contributed additional resources to add more lights, sidewalks and recently a fence along the bluff. The safety of our students is our highest priority, including in Isla Vista, where the university’s influence is limited.”

UC President Janet Napolitano’s Task Force includes plans for better streetlights and increased campus police presence. The federal Department of Education allocated $570,000, notably funding the Campus Advocacy Resources & Education (CARE) program, which advocates for sexual assault victims and educates the community about sexual violence.

UCSB just closed down its third fraternity this school year, after sexual assault allegations arose against Nu Alpha Kappa (the other two were shut down for unsafe education practices (the other two were shut down for unspecified reasons and alcohol hazing, respectively). UCSB additionally placed a sorority on interim suspension. The university had not closed a Greek chapter in the previous two years, so three (possibly four) closures in a year since the shootings may signal the university’s lower tolerance for dangerous and reckless student activities.

In October, the state of California passed a bill allowing families and friends of disturbed people to seek a restraining order to ensure they don’t buy a gun. The legislation was very publicly supported by Richard Martinez, father of the student shot near Isla Vista Deli, and certainly precipitated by the fact that police performed a wellness check to Rodger’s apartment in Isla Vista less than a month before his rampage (at the request of his concerned family). The police, however, did not enter Rodger’s apartment to perform an actual search, as he appeared coherent and polite.

Despite such efforts, some students, faculty, and staff do not see visible evidence that Isla Vista is any safer, and claim that the administration’s rhetoric sounds hollow. Weisberger says she feels no safer now in Isla Vista than she did before Rodger killed six of her schoolmates. “When people talk about what happened, they label Rodger as ‘crazy’ and ‘an extremist,’ which he was; but what people don’t talk about is the fact that on a less extreme level, that mentality still exists in some people in Isla Vista. These are the people who try to stop me on my bike and push me down, the people who catcall me from their balconies, and the people who follow me and my friends as we walk home. Now, when I go out on weekends, I stuff all of my hair into my hood and try my best to look like a boy so that no one tries to knock me off my bike again.”

For those of you who have forgotten, The Supreme Gentlemen's Manifesto and effective autobiography is here:

http://abclocal.go.com/three/kabc/kabc/My-Twisted-World.pdf

quote:

My orchestration of the Day of Retribution is my attempt to do everything, in my power, to destroy
everything I cannot have. All of those beautiful girls I’ve desired so much in my life, but can never have
because they despise and loathe me, I will destroy. All of those popular people who live hedonistic lives
of pleasure, I will destroy, because they never accepted me as one of them. I will kill them all and make
them suffer, just as they have made me suffer. It is only fair.

Why do things have to be this way? I’m sure that is the question everyone will be asking after the Day
of Retribution is over. They will all be asking why. Indeed, why? That is the question I’ve had for
everyone throughout all my years of suffering. Why was I condemned to live a life of misery and
worthlessness while other men were able to experience the pleasures of sex and love with women?
Why do things have to be this way? I ask all of you.

All I ever wanted was to love women, and in turn to be loved by them back. Their behavior towards
me has only earned my hatred, and rightfully so! I am the true victim in all of this. I am the good guy.
Humanity struck at me first by condemning me to experience so much suffering. I didn’t ask for this. I
didn’t want this. I didn’t start this war… I wasn’t the one who struck first… But I will finish it by striking
back. I will punish everyone. And it will be beautiful. Finally, at long last, I can show the world my true
worth.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

:rip:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
i Thought this would be about Jurassic Park.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I didnt read the OP but I want to say gently caress you and die anyways

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kind of racist that the Chinese guys have American nicknames.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one thing I remember about him was that his weird journal opened by saying that his mom dated George Lucas in the 70s, so by dumping her George Lucas indirectly ruined a few more childhoods.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

God drat that kid lives with a lot of Asians.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
good thing that online dating now exists so even the worst and smelliest goons have a nonzero chance of getting laid with a disgusting goonette instead of shooting peeps

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Lichy posted:

good thing that online dating now exists so even the worst and smelliest goons have a nonzero chance of getting laid with a disgusting goonette instead of shooting peeps

online dating existed a year ago

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
elliot was an idiot, he lived in loving santa barbara.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Lichy posted:

Online dating's been around for a while.

It hasn't really helped.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

online dating existed a year ago

We're advancing at a crazy pace as a species

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Online dating - net positive or net negative? (not in regards to your micropenis but to society)

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shadoer posted:

Online dating's been around for a while.

It hasn't really helped.

it's more accessible and acceptable now tho

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The original was a good thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3637102&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post430071883

I'd advise just reading that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dude loved his Halo 4 and mountain dew

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
*thousands of years of ethical tradition calling people to be less judgemental*

*culminates in app allowing people to judge dozens in a few swipes based on a bad picture of them*

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Lichy posted:

it's more accessible and acceptable now tho

Well I have to admit, searching through his manifesto, he mentions playing online games a lot but it doesn't appear he ever tried online dating.

I guess if he had just opened a tinder account, this horror could have been avoided.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

Dude loved his Halo 4 and mountain dew

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

That thread was awesome, putting it in the op.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rambling Robot posted:

elliot was an idiot, he lived in loving santa barbara.

He got close (vicinity) to some drunk kids once who he could have hung out with and maybe hooked up with one of them, but he ruined it by trying to shove them off a ten foot ledge.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope Children receive the death penalty no older than 12. These child killers need to be put down in their infancy.

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
It must have sucked getting stabbed by such a bitch. Getting stabbed sucks in general but by this guy? Ug.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What's an appropriate gift to get someone for International Virgins Day?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
its pretty funny that this convinced a bunch of people at the college to force themselves to be nice to losers for a little bit in the hopes that they get spared from the next rampage

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

its pretty funny that this convinced a bunch of people at the college to force themselves to be nice to losers for a little bit in the hopes that they get spared from the next rampage

true martyrdom for the cause of all virgins

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

WhyteRyce posted:

He got close (vicinity) to some drunk kids once who he could have hung out with and maybe hooked up with one of them, but he ruined it by trying to shove them off a ten foot ledge.
His favored hookup method was to show up at parties where he knew no one by himself and then stand in silence waiting for the beautiful women to come chat him up

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
maybe if I pityfuck this nerd he won't run my rear end over when he goes batshit

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
'Tis time this heart should be unmoved,
Since others it hath ceased to move:
Yet, though I cannot be beloved,
Still let me love!

My days are in the yellow leaf;
The flowers and fruits of love are gone;
The worm, the canker, and the grief,
Are mine alone!

The fire that on my bosom preys
Is lone as some volcanic isle;
No torch is kindled at its blaze -
A funeral pile!

The hope, the fear, the jealous care,
The exalted portion of the pain
And power of love, I cannot share,
But wear the chain.

But 'tis not thus -and 'tis not here -
Such thoughts should shake my soul, nor now,
Where glory decks the hero's bier,
Or binds his brow.

The sword, the banner, and the field,
Glory and Greece, around me see!
The Spartan, borne upon his shield,
Was not more free.

Awake! (not Greece -she is awake!)
Awake, my spirit! Think through whom
Thy life-blood tracks its parent lake,
And then strike home!

Tread those reviving passions down,
Unworthy manhood! -unto thee
Indifferent should the smile or frown
Of beauty be.

If thou regret'st thy youth, why live?
The land of honourable death
Is here: -up to the field, and give
Away thy breath!

Seek out -less often sought than found -
A soldier's grave, for thee the best;
Then look around, and choose thy ground,
And take thy rest.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Rest In Piss Elliot Rodgers

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
i'm going to go on record, again, as saying murder in any form is a good thing

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I posted in that thread.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I know they say you aren't supposed to remember people like him because that is what they want, but on the other hand I think it is very good to remember Elliot Rodgers.

Remember him and laugh forever at how pathetic this piece of poo poo was. Let every other like him know we will remember you and we will mock you forever in death as you deserved in life you disgusting piece of poo poo

--real Nooner out; back to poo poo posting after this

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Nooner posted:

I know they say you aren't supposed to remember people like him because that is what they want, but on the other hand I think it is very good to remember Elliot Rodgers.

Remember him and laugh forever at how pathetic this piece of poo poo was. Let every other like him know we will remember you and we will mock you forever in death as you deserved in life you disgusting piece of poo poo

If there's an afterlife, I'd wager part of Rodger's eternal punishment is to read stuff on the internet about how much people are just laughing at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nooner posted:

I'll always remember the hilarious YouTube videos

• Locked thread