Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Public transit can be an inexpensive if not inefficient way to get from A to B. In my experience it can be unreliable at times and you may have to wait around for a while but you will ultimately get there. In my opinion the invention of the smartphone has made utilizing public transit far more bearable.

For the ultra poor there are still free newspapers

There is a veritable cornucopia of smells to be smelled

Instead of having to hold it in your car, you can pee on the bus like everyone else

Please keep this thread to PT (public transit) specific discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I used trains in Japan a bunch. The Shinkansen owned, staff would walk down the aisles with food, snacks, ice cream, drinks, etc each station had it's own special lunch set.
Even the regular trains were pretty fast, clean, people were courteous, they had special seats for the elderly.

After that I tried taking Amtrak to NYC. It took longer than driving and smelled of piss and cost as much as flying. All they had were stale pretzels.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Elderly people and winos piss and poo poo in the local public transit all the time, wish they'd put up a no pissing and making GBS threads sign myself, seems rude to the other passengers

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
I have a car

Suck it poors

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

i moved from a tiny city to a big one this year and it's weird how fine people are with crazy commuting times. guy i know catches two buses and a train each way and does this twice a day. he spend 3 hours a day on public transit and just find this to be totally normal and fine. i have a car and even i spend about 1.5 hours a day in it. what strange specimens you city people are where i used to live the longest i ever had to drive anywhere was 15 minutes. i remember my dad getting offered a job a 20 min drive a way and turning it down because it was too far. i thought 20 mins of commuting was insane but people in cities spend hours commuting. it's so not worth it to live in a big city.

small cities next to big cities are where it's at because you get all the advantages of a small city with a big one right next door that you can go to for events and stuff. anyway that's just what i think

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

krampster2 posted:

i moved from a tiny city to a big one this year and it's weird how fine people are with crazy commuting times. guy i know catches two buses and a train each way and does this twice a day. he spend 3 hours a day on public transit and just find this to be totally normal and fine. i have a car and even i spend about 1.5 hours a day in it. what strange specimens you city people are where i used to live the longest i ever had to drive anywhere was 15 minutes. i remember my dad getting offered a job a 20 min drive a way and turning it down because it was too far. i thought 20 mins of commuting was insane but people in cities spend hours commuting. it's so not worth it to live in a big city.

small cities next to big cities are where it's at because you get all the advantages of a small city with a big one right next door that you can go to for events and stuff. anyway that's just what i think

Live in bumfuck nowhere again so drive a car, but man when I worked in DC I woke up at 5am, drove to a bus stop, where i took that bus to the subway, and had a few connections before finally making it downtown where I'd walk half a mile from the metro to my office, so it was basically like I was away from home from 5AM-7PM everyday because to live in town it cost over 1k a month so I lived 30 miles out of town.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Geek USSR posted:

I have a car

Suck it poors

I have a car too but sometimes elect to use the public transit system. Mind blown?

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Saw a homeless guy take a poo poo and jerked off right after in a crowded subway car on my way to work. Nobody even flinched.

I love NYC.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Romes128 posted:

Saw a homeless guy take a poo poo and jerked off right after in a crowded subway car on my way to work. Nobody even flinched.

I love NYC.

Ok where I live people aren't nearly as jaded and used to such indecency. That would warrant some transit cops for sure.

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011

moose face posted:

I have a car too but sometimes elect to use the public transit system. Mind blown?

Geek USSR posted:

I have a car

Suck it poors

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
how are your kids? do you even know? :lol:

i don't even care

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

how are your kids? do you even know? :lol:

i don't even care

This thread is about public transit. My kids are very well, thank you but please keep this on topic.

I saw a girl with a ferret on the subway the other day. Never trust a girl with a ferret

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

moose face posted:

This thread is about public transit. My kids are very well, thank you but please keep this on topic.

I saw a girl with a ferret on the subway the other day. Never trust a girl with a ferret

is your wife still crazy over you?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

moose face posted:

Public transit can be an inexpensive if not inefficient way to get from A to B.
Typo?

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

thinking about getting a motorbike so i can skip traffic jams. good idea or nah?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

krampster2 posted:

thinking about getting a motorbike so i can skip traffic jams. good idea or nah?

Yeah they are but also you are taking a calculated risk. You can be the most sensible and defensive driver but you're putting your life into the hands of other motorists

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Driving in a car is enough of an absurd gamble without removing the steel cocoon of protection imo. Not that I'm afraid of driving but it's pretty weird when you think about it, trusting all those moving parts.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

a dog from hell posted:

Driving in a car is enough of an absurd gamble without removing the steel cocoon of protection imo. Not that I'm afraid of driving but it's pretty weird when you think about it, trusting all those moving parts.

Also getting rear ended can equal death

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
why did u come back

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Public Transit, eh?

Who died and made you king of the gays?

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
I use a bus or a train

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zippy the Bummer posted:

why did u come back

Want me to leave?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought we were cool zips

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

moose face posted:

Want me to leave?

i want you to tell us about your personal business

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
are you talking to your wife? are your kids really "okay"?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I once saw an exorcism take place on a sea bus

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

moose face posted:

do tell

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

moose face posted:

Lets make out

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

moose face posted:

I thought we were cool zips

why? i'm mainly just curious

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

There was this young woman who was strung out on something maybe meth or crack or some other gross street drug convulsing near the back of the car and this old Chinese man would put his hands on her head and then yell in a heavily Cantonese accented Latin. She would respond to it but probably not to any holy intervention but just weird stimulus and he would feed off it and scream more Chinese Latin poo poo. It went on for a while until I got to the pier and they were doing this when I left

BONE DOG fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 24, 2015

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zippy the Bummer posted:

why? i'm mainly just curious

I feel comfortable posting again. Missed it.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

moose face posted:

There was this young woman who was strung out on something maybe meth or crack or some other gross street drug convulsing near the back of the car and this old Chinese man would put his hands on her head and then yell in a heavily Cantonese accented Latin. She would respond to it but probably not to any holy intervention but just weird stimulus and he would feed off it and scream more Chinese Latin poo poo. It went on for a while until I got to the pier and they were doing this when I left

i loving love you

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

i loving love you

I love all of you. Even the detractors.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Kuato posted:

Elderly people and winos piss and poo poo in the local public transit all the time, wish they'd put up a no pissing and making GBS threads sign myself, seems rude to the other passengers

No pissing and making GBS threads signs should be everywhere like some kind of Freudian utopia for the anal retentive

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

moose face posted:

Ok where I live people aren't nearly as jaded and used to such indecency. That would warrant some transit cops for sure.

They usually do that between the cars which is nice of them, since you're basically in their home anyway. Like stepping outside to smoke when you have guests over.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
your a piece of poo poo.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Enfield posted:

your a piece of poo poo.

Need a light

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
I saw a full poo poo on the floor on a bus

Also saw a satay kebab stick in the area between two carriages,, just sitting there on the floor bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
There is a bus that runs a few blocks from my house directly to a bus stop next to my work. I never take it because the times are inconvenient, it runs the side-route to my office complex twice per day, dropping off at 8:30am and picking up at 3:30pm. The only times I've taken it is when my car goes into the shop, I'm lucky my employer is flexible letting me work a 7-hour day a few times as long as I make up for it later on in the week. (of course I never do...)

Even with a better schedule, I couldn't see myself taking it outside of needing a ride in a pinch. The other morning at 7:30am, I sat next to a young fellow singing along to Def loving Leppard playing from his phone. His (dad?) sat a few rows back talking loudly to another passenger, all motherfucking this and motherfucking that about who knows what. The kid got up halfway through the ride to stand near the front, and since he was near the trash can, the guy in the back started chucking empty pop bottles and starbucks cups through the bus up to him to throw away, sprinkling everybody along the way.

Of course I did nothing and said nothing besides post about it later on the internet, but gently caress public transit around here.

• Locked thread