Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
what did you get your daughter for her bday recently\

e: when was the last you spoke to her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
If it were possible for me to walk a short distance to a tube stop, like in London, ride one or more lines, then get off and walk a short distance to work, I would do it happily. However, due to the way public transport works in my area, it is completely impossible. The closest thing to a workable route would take more than 3 hours and would not get me to work until 2 hours after I need to be there.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

what did you get your daughter for her bday recently\

e: when was the last you spoke to her

This afternoon. A marker maker and frozen trouble. Honestly this thread isn't for that. For details on my personal life pm me and I'll entertain any serious queries

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I commute 4 hours every day on trains and spend more than 1/8 my salary on fares. Its great i love it.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Oberleutnant posted:

I commute 4 hours every day on trains and spend more than 1/8 my salary on fares. Its great i love it.

My daily commute takes an average of 90 minutes and burns 3 gallons of gas. I live 30 miles from my job. Traffic jams are a daily occurrence for me. Luckily, when the freeway improvements are done in about 3 years, things should be a bit better.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The best part about riding the Red Line in Chicago is how it throws the illiteracy of today's urban youth into sharp relief.

IT'S NOT AN EMERGENCY WHY ARE YOU USING THAT EMERGENCY DOOR

YOU HAVE TO SIT NEXT TO SOMEONE ALL THE SEATS ARE LIKE THAT

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Portland's transit system is cool and good for visitors

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I'm in Toronto and it's easy to get from A to B(ae) haha get it! it's because the transit system is pretty nice!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the new york subway has gotten noticeably worse since last winter and has stolen a little bit of my soul every time i use it. at least i have a 20 minute commute to work because of it

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006
better public transit = easier to be poor = more people will want to become poor = defund that poo poo

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

social vegan posted:

I'm in Toronto and it's easy to get from A to B(ae) haha get it! it's because the transit system is pretty nice!

Ah the old t dot eh. A veritable hub of public transit

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Idiot Kicker posted:

Portland's transit system is cool and good for visitors

Agreed I've been super happy since I moved to Hillsboro (I BROUGHT MY JOB WITH ME GET OFF MY BACK) in that I can walk & train most the time instead of having to sit on Hwy 26 waiting people fail at going through a tunnel.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
public.....transportation:confused:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Public transit is fast to work from where I live but I can drive and it's faster and I don't have to sit with bums.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

There's actually going to be a lot of innovation in this area given the impending rise of autonomous vehicles.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

Public transit is fast to work from where I live but I can drive and it's faster and I don't have to sit with bumsminorities.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Un-l337-Pork posted:

There's actually going to be a lot of innovation in this area given the impending rise of autonomous vehicles.

The Docklands Light Railway in London is automated but they still have someone in the front just in case. It's mad.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Naw, this is Minneapolis, the minorities on the train are quiet Somalians, the problem people are the 50 year old chronic drunk fat white dudes.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I'm glad I live in a civilised country where my commute is a quick 15 minute stroll to the train station to get a 25 minute train into central, followed by a bracing 25 minute walk

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
My first trip to NYC I flew into JFK with my luggage and the douchey-est Fedora on as possible the moment I stepped off the air train (airport to subway monorail) and onto the subway literally the first step onto it in front of JFK there was a haggard old white man looking up at me with a red drunk face that muttered "Pathetic loving white boy."

This was the very first second of the very first experience on NY public trans system I felt like I was greeted in the most NY way possible.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

moose face posted:

Want me to leave?

Yes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

moose face posted:

This thread is about public transit. My kids are very well, thank you but please keep this on topic.

I saw a girl with a ferret on the subway the other day. Never trust a girl with a ferret

Where in Canada is there a subway? Toronto?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Europe is the only place where there is good public transit

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Runaktla posted:

My first trip to NYC I flew into JFK with my luggage and the douchey-est Fedora on as possible the moment I stepped off the air train (airport to subway monorail) and onto the subway literally the first step onto it in front of JFK there was a haggard old white man looking up at me with a red drunk face that muttered "Pathetic loving white boy."

This was the very first second of the very first experience on NY public trans system I felt like I was greeted in the most NY way possible.

Well you had a fedora on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

genesplicer posted:

My daily commute takes an average of 90 minutes and burns 3 gallons of gas. I live 30 miles from my job. Traffic jams are a daily occurrence for me. Luckily, when the freeway improvements are done in about 3 years, things should be a bit better.

Lol nope. A ton of studies have shown that when you try to fix traffic congestion with more/better roads it only improves for a few months then gets lovely again as people buy cheaper houses along the route.

Basically if you don't chose where to live based on public transportation availability you're either doomed to be stuck in traffic forever or live in the boonies.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I just took a new job with better pay and access to my town's light rail. 7 minute walk to rail, 20 minute ride downtown, 3 minute walk to the office.
It's nice.
Only downside is I have to get up at 6 AM. But on the upside, I 'm home by 5:45 every day!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Why do people seem to love NYC? I've visited there a half dozen times, and never enjoyed it.

The people are poo poo, the subway is poo poo, the tourists are poo poo.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChrisHansen posted:

Why do people seem to love NYC? I've visited there a half dozen times, and never enjoyed it.

The people are poo poo, the subway is poo poo, the tourists are poo poo.

The problem is you.

It's fun as hell living in nyc.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
NYC is an awesome place to live but the subway has become noticeably shittier in the past 5-6 months or so.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Meh. I take the M, the line nobody uses. But it has the newer trains where the hvac actually works it's a short commute for me into midtown where I work.

I feel bad for people thay use the A or E. It's full of tourists with luggage and homeless people.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

redshirt posted:

Where in Canada is there a subway? Toronto?

Toronto and Montreal iirc

Toronto's subway shuts down at like 1:35 a.m though so if you're drinking downtown there's the Blue Light Bus which is generally jam packed full of drunk people and shift workers

The best I saw ever was a couple heavily into either BDSM or Klingon cosplay (both?) who were taking up 4 seats at the front and no one really wanted to deal with approaching them about it

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
The light rail train in Phoenix goes downtown and costs half as much as any parking spot for a day.

I own a car but like to use the train because it's cheaper than parking downtown and the 30-45 minute train ride lets me sober up a bit before driving home.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

St. Louis has one nice thing going for it if you're too disabled to drive: short bus service to and from anywhere within .75 miles of a bus stop which is over a large part of the metro area for $4 a trip. It's not perfect but it beats putting up with the regular bus system a lot of times while still being very cheap. gently caress west county turds for blocking expansions though

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I take the streetcars sometimes because good luck finding a parking spot in the CBD/French Quarter.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thanks startups for making actually good mass transit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72a04AxtInw

naem
May 29, 2011

Monday_ posted:

NYC is an awesome place to live but the subway has become noticeably shittier in the past 5-6 months or so.

Wonder how that's possible like what changed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling if your city doesn't have rail system.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
We've got lightrail. It's actually pretty decent (when people aren't making illegal turns and crashing in to the railcars). They even have racks where you can put your bike! :buddy:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

etalian posted:

Thanks startups for making actually good mass transit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72a04AxtInw

That's not mass transit. Looks like google is spending a few pennies to shelter their low level drones who can't afford living downtown from hobos and feral youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

That's not mass transit. Looks like google is spending a few pennies to shelter their low level drones who can't afford living downtown from hobos and feral youth.

A few startups started bus services in SF so you can pay to avoid the masses.

• Locked thread