Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Can Video Games be Art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Yes.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
imo Metroid Prime > moana Lisa

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

art is whatever you make of it, op. there is bad art, and good art. 99% of videogames are bad art

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I don't think so, Tim

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
captain comic is pretty cool so sure

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
video games are the cat portraits of the art world, they can make you feel, they take a lot of time and craftsmanship but in in the end it's just a goddamn grumpy cat

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Yes, the same as DEEZE NUTS are art

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
MMoA says yes

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
If a naked chick were to go on stage and take a dump over a cartridge of Chrono Trigger while Schoenberg played in the background, then yes, it could be art. But only if a federal grant were involved.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

roger ebert says they can't. the great one has spoken, you goony cheeto dust-encrusted douche nozzle psycho hose fart bucket cum dumpling booger butt poo stained turd chewing peenerdong-gnashing meaty kleptomaniac with your weak pair of man boobies

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011

Pastor Perineum posted:

roger ebert says they can't. the great one has spoken, you goony cheeto dust-encrusted douche nozzle psycho hose fart bucket cum dumpling booger butt poo stained turd chewing peenerdong-gnashing meaty kleptomaniac with your weak pair of man boobies

He's dead

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pastor Perineum posted:

Last time he was alive he only had like 2/3 of a face. And he dead. You can't trust someone who looked liked a Bond villain.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

i played journey at my friends house on drugs and it was good but i dunno if that was because the acid was art or the game but one of them was i think

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
No. If you say differently you are wasting your life.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
of course it can and always is actually you stupid fucks.

art doesn't mean "good and cultured"

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

literally any form of expression could be viewed as art. arguing about what is and is not art is one of the stupidest arguments there is.

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

suicide bi cop posted:

Can Video Games be Art?

No

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TEAYCHES posted:

art is whatever you make of it, op. there is bad art, and good art. 99% of videogames are bad art

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No and your gay

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

football is not an art, baseball is not an art, video games are not an art

your gay

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Happy Bear Suit posted:

football is not an art, baseball is not an art, video games are not an art

your gay

this. video games are a sport op!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think this answers that question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL07_xqlcS4

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Every sick 360 no scope headshot I make is a work of art.

Baby Beer Stein
May 7, 2012

No way José

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes, although like 99% of the defenses you'll see mounted to clarify why Video Games are Art are clumsy and poorly stated bundles of horseshit rationalization for wasting their lives playing too much.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Pastor Perineum posted:

he's in hell now

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The games people fawn over as works of art are boring and not fun games.

So the worse a game is the more art it is

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
"video games are art! they're an artistic vision of an artist or artists!"

*Mass Effect 3 comes out*

"we DEMAND that you change the ending this instant!"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
once you start trying to define art you're loving up

the only winning move is not to try

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
All video games are art, and a sport..

Sport-art.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Video games are like a building that sometimes gets used for art exhibitions and sometimes for laser tag

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

krampster2 posted:

this. video games are a sport op!
if art is competitive, does it become spart? furthermore, if you run around a field slapping balls with a stick without an actual goal, is that ort?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
No, video games are a mass marketed mass produced consumer item. That's like asking "are the floral prints on papertowels art?"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Poetic Justice posted:

No, video games are a mass marketed mass produced consumer items. That's like asking "are papertowels art?"

the new kleenex vita paper towels are art

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

the new kleenex vita paper towels are art

:argh: fix your quote, thank you.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

kleenex vita
appropriate

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
How much middleware is a video game allowed to use before it stops being unique?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yes, but most of them are loving terrible art, like a Thomas Kinkade painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

declaring things to be "art" is runaround nonsense where instead of discussing a thing, you discuss if it's worth discussing.

interesting elements are still interesting even if the product doesn't pass somebody's checklist. get your hands dirty you dorks.

• Locked thread