Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
heres a poem i wrote
our misty breath
does now show
us wooting softly in the snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nefarious posted:

i love handjobs

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
dad gay, if you work out your body will turn the beef and grease into muscle and testosterone instead of heart blockages and butt cancer

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Huh, so maybe this is what happened to me.

I had surgery and was coming out of the anesthesia in the ICU. I knew where I was, the nurses had been talking to me and all that, it was just the usual haze. I still had the breathing tube in and couldn't say anything, but suddenly my heart was just absolutely trip-hammering like I had never felt before, hell, even thought was possible. A bunch of alarms started beeping and going off and a couple of folks came over... I don't remember what all happened but all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I had this absolute certainty I was going to die, I was dead, it was all over. It wasn't like there was any panic in the room, it wasn't like they called a code blue (that I know), there was nothing to set this off in my brain, but this dread just washed over me and everything faded for a few seconds. I didn't pass out, but it just went weird. And when I came back to it was just the uncomfortableness of the tube and a... calm of sorts. Heart was beating normal, or at least felt like it, and I just drifted off to sleep. Woke up in recovery hours later in pain, but generally feeling okay.

I never asked the doctor about it, just thought it was part of waking up. But thinking back, that feeling of absolute dread... did they maybe give me a shot of adenosine? Or was it just my messed up brain waking up? I've never felt anything like that in my life and half-out of it or not, it was the worst feeling I've ever experienced. I don't even have nightmares about it because I don't think my brain could go back there. Just weird.

EDIT: the nearest Five Guys is 45 minutes away and I've made the trip specifically for a loaded bacon cheeseburger with regular fries and large iced tea on many occasions. Not enough, though. Guess I need more meat and taters to feed my heart.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 26, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

acejackson42 posted:

I had surgery and was coming out of the anesthesia in the ICU. I knew where I was, the nurses had been talking to me and all that, it was just the usual haze. I still had the breathing tube in and couldn't say anything, but suddenly my heart was just absolutely trip-hammering like I had never felt before, hell, even thought was possible. A bunch of alarms started beeping and going off and a couple of folks came over... I don't remember what all happened but all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I had this absolute certainty I was going to die, I was dead, it was all over. It wasn't like there was any panic in the room, it wasn't like they called a code blue (that I know), there was nothing to set this off in my brain, but this dread just washed over me and everything faded for a few seconds. I didn't pass out, but it just went weird. And when I came back to it was just the uncomfortableness of the tube and a... calm of sorts. Heart was beating normal, or at least felt like it, and I just drifted off to sleep. Woke up in recovery hours later in pain, but generally feeling okay.

I never asked the doctor about it, just thought it was part of waking up. But thinking back, that feeling of absolute dread... did they maybe give me a shot of adenosine? Or was it just my messed up brain waking up? I've never felt anything like that in my life and half-out of it or not, it was the worst feeling I've ever experienced. I don't even have nightmares about it because I don't think my brain could go back there. Just weird.

EDIT: the nearest Five Guys is 45 minutes away and I've made the trip specifically for a loaded bacon cheeseburger with regular fries and large iced tea on many occasions. Not enough, though. Guess I need more meat and taters to feed my heart.

Tldr

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

well, poo poo

TLDR: the nearest Five Guys is 45 minutes away and I've made the trip specifically for a loaded bacon cheeseburger with regular fries and large iced tea on many occasions. Not enough, though. Guess I need more meat and taters to feed my heart.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

dad gay, if you work out your body will turn the beef and grease into muscle and testosterone instead of heart blockages and butt cancer

i dont have heart blockages yoiu stupid human being

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

yiu should read it its interesting

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Enfield posted:

heres a poem i wrote
our misty breath
does now show
us wooting softly in the snow

thats real nice

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Daimo posted:

This is it, goons are starting to die of natural causes. Last man out turn the lights off.

no one is dying you dumb gently caress, if anything, i have proven that i am indestructible. bitch.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

dad gay. so what posted:

no one is dying you dumb gently caress, if anything, i have proven that i am indestructible. bitch.

Meh they stopped your heart with adenosine, real men need electricity.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

acejackson42 posted:

yeah its like your sinking and turning black from the inside out and melting all at once. you can fell everything ionside you dying. its amazing how fast having no blood moving kills things.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nodelphi posted:

Meh they stopped your heart with adenosine, real men need electricity.

this guy is a piece of human garbage

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

dad gay. so what posted:

i dont have heart blockages yoiu stupid human being

butt cancer. so what

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

dad gay. so what posted:

this guy is a piece of human garbage

Granted. My heart could take your heart in a knife fight though.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Dad gay I read a book this weekend (while working out) that referred to a "gouty old beefeater" and I thought about u. I went to five guys for early lunch as soon as I was done because I was burgin hard. A+ burger and a really good Sunday all around that's my trip report

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Yossarian posted:

Dad gay I read a book this weekend (while working out) that referred to a "gouty old beefeater" and I thought about u. I went to five guys for early lunch as soon as I was done because I was burgin hard. A+ burger and a really good Sunday all around that's my trip report

glad to hear it, that poo poo is the bomb track, im thinkin of having it for lunch today myself,

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

hey dad gay if you're looking for an inch-thick slab of chemical-smoke-tasting meat with some tasteless cheese and bacon smashed between two peices of damp 'bread', then the burger king ultimate cheeseburger is there waiting for you - think it might actually be made out of heart meat.

just trying to help

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

acejackson42 posted:

hey dad gay if you're looking for an inch-thick slab of chemical-smoke-tasting meat with some tasteless cheese and bacon smashed between two peices of damp 'bread', then the burger king ultimate cheeseburger is there waiting for you - think it might actually be made out of heart meat.

just trying to help

i actually had a quarter pounder from mcdonalds this weekend because i had to (dont ask) and it was the most foul thing i have ever put in my mouth i couldnt even finish it. tbh, that is the last thing i ate befgore my heart went ape-poo poo

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious posted:

how much do you weigh these days, op

yikes, i was wrong - 192 this morning :( - time to get back to the gym :(

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

dad gay. so what posted:

yikes, i was wrong - 192 this morning :( - time to get back to the gym :(

when was the last time you poo poo though? after a rough weekend I've lost like 11 lbs on a big poo poo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

acejackson42 posted:

It's possible but my guess is that that dread came before the adenosine from anoxia. There's a reason they make people wait in a recovery room after surgery, this kind of stuff happens from time to time. They probably shocked you out of your palpitations if they didn't happen to just go away on their own which also happens sometimes. Lots of anesthetics are "irritants" to heart tissue. It's a stupid way to say it but that's what they say.

They found out about this anoxia and mortal terror stuff relatively recently because there's a woman who never really experienced fear because she has a broken brain and then she volunteered for an experiment where they force the CO2 level up in your blood artificially (while keeping O2 at normal levels) which is the normal trigger for "hey I'm anoxic" and she flipped out. Turns out there's more than one kind of fear. So two kinds of fear that we know about.

BTW I usually go for In N Out because it's cheaper than 5 Guys. But unless you're close to California I guess they don't have those. gently caress California BTW

raton fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 26, 2015

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's possible but my guess is that that dread came before the adenosine from anoxia. There's a reason they make people wait in a recovery room after surgery, this kind of stuff happens from time to time. They probably shocked you out of your palpitations if they didn't happen to just go away on their own which also happens sometimes. Lots of anesthetics are "irritants" to heart tissue. It's a stupid way to say it but that's what they say.

They found out about this anoxia and mortal terror stuff relatively recently because there's a woman who never really experienced fear because she has a broken brain and then she volunteered for an experiment where they force the CO2 level up in your blood artificially (while keeping O2 at normal levels) which is the normal trigger for "hey I'm anoxic" and she flipped out. Turns out there's more than one kind of fear. So two kinds of fear that we know about.

whats the other one? fear of success?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

whats the other one? fear of success?

Normal fear, yes

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Normal fear, yes

so are you like a dr. or just like to read about dr. stuff like doogie howser?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

this is the best thread about five guys and impending death i've ever read, i know more about the heart now and i looked up where my nearest five guys is (30 minutes)

hope you get (stay?) better dad gay

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

when was the last time you poo poo though? after a rough weekend I've lost like 11 lbs on a big poo poo

yeah true plus im probably bloated from all the alcohol and cheese

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Olewithmilk posted:

this is the best thread about five guys and impending death i've ever read, i know more about the heart now and i looked up where my nearest five guys is (30 minutes)

hope you get (stay?) better dad gay

thats well worth the journey.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hwy wolf-nuts, are you a doctor or a scientist or something? cause i have a question about my heart tachs

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

i have some kimd of heart peoblem i guess, i almost blacked out like 6 times from 2-8 pm cause my heart started going crazy. when i got to the er it was 239 bpm so they used a chemical to stop it and let it reset. now im fine and i have to take a pill every day. having you heart stop even for a few seconds feels very bad and i dont think i want to do that again. anywhos, thanks for reading my er story.

lunch today: five guys bacon cheeseburger, cajun fries, and a coke.

I'm so sorry the heart attack grill closed down so you can't get your regular

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm so sorry the heart attack grill closed down so you can't get your regular

:confused:

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

Depends.

Your heart has an almost continuously arranged set of failsafes where if the impulse to beat doesn't start where it usually does it will start somewhere else. It wouldn't be exactly wrong to say that any cell in the heart could potentially get things going again. Obviously the heart is meant to beat in a certain coordinated fashion and from the SA node down with conduction thresholds being met along the hearts biological circuitry in order is the way to achieve this but even a grabastic random squeezing is going to work better than nothing thanks to the multiple one way valves in place in your heart and vasculature.

Dad gay has a part of his heart near the top that is just going bezerk sometimes and causing beats to start when it shouldn't. To stop that you can either chemically or electrically shut down the heart for an instant and hopefully order restores itself. In the mid term the usual fix is to chill the whole system out with medications and hopefully this drops this naughty bit of cells below the point where it causes a beat before the SA node does. Sometimes it's not that exact region that's the issue but the fact that incorrectly a circuit has been made (through bad living) back to that spot so like a whiny white kid in front of a judge it's friends keep making it do it. Long term they fix this by abalsion, of locating the errant cells and nuking them, leaving a tiny dead spatch in the heart that turns into useless scar tissue but at least doesn't cause trouble. This works pretty well in the modern era.

Some people as they go through life lose the failsafes one at a time. The SA node gives out. The top cells get lazy. Almost all the other wiring fails. Note that when I say fails what is usually going on is cell malformation or death often due to other problems with the heart as the heart is obviously its own blood supply. So your heart might be okay and then you have a heart attack (which is where your arteries crack internally because they're stiff as hell from you not watching your cholesterol and general cardiovascular health, then your body does you the favor of sealing that crack up with a clot, but it goes too far and clots that bitch shut, effectively suffocating all heart tissues distal to that blood supply) and if you don't die now a part of your heart doesn't work in the pattern it should. If it's the top part of your heart oh well, no biggie, you have reduced function. If it's the bottom part that could be a big problem. One particular blood supply is key to feeding the biological tissues that run down the heart and function as the circuitry that I keep talking about this particular artery is known as the Widowmaker as if it's the one that get plugged up outcomes aren't good. Anyway, this kind of erosion gets you into territories where either the whole heart can stop at once or else it's poised to.

But hey maybe your heart stops because you've so profoundly hosed up the balance of chemicals used to run the whole shop that the heart either goes perfectly slack or seizes up like a rock. For example if you get a big fat injection of potassium because you've been sentenced to die from bad posting or maybe you're a shithead who wouldn't stop drinking and eating and got diabetes and high blood pressure and the abnormally high volume of heavy sugar molecules pounding the delicate filter tissues of your kidneys eroded your kidneys so now you can no longer expel potassium and then you decided to skip dialysis because gawd it's so inconvenient to me and gee whiz hope someone can fix this temporarily while you're on your way to emergency dialysis to continue living your "life" of being fat, tired, and going to dialysis three times a week and being a burden on everyone in society.

Maybe your heart stops because someone shot a bullet through it and it's torn to poo poo. It probably doesn't matter if someone shoots you through the heart when you're on the surgeon's table because you'll be braindead before they can get anything in place to get blood to your brain again, plus most of your heart tissues die from anoxia almost as quickly as brain tissue does so the bits that had vascular interruptions will certainly be dead and lol if you can loose that much of your heart and still have one that when sewn together will be able to put out enough blood to keep you alive.

Maybe however you have a few early failsafes offline and kind of a bad ticker that sometimes works okay and sometimes runs erratically and due to stress hormones and a meal heavy in the wrong chemical ion and maybe a little physical exertion your heart just starts going bezerk. Lots of times they call this "your heart stopped" on TV. In that case you can shock the poo poo out of it and hopefully that causes uniform discharge and the natural leaders in electrical discharge go first and things return to normal. Maybe you should have a pacemaker put in to do this automatically and not risk death before you can get to a hospital if that happens again if that's the case. If this happens several times your heart may even develop collateral vasculature and you can be the guy that lives through six or seven heart attacks thanks to repeatedly torturing your heart -- of course you'll lose some functionality each time but you can just use that as an excuse to get other people to do stuff for you if you're into that.

Maybe you're lucky and live to your 80s with most of your failsafes in place and then it all goes horribly wrong one night when you're asleep and you wake up just as you start to realize something has gone absoluely wrong but before you can move or groan or roll over you pass out again and your sweet wife of 48 years finds you dead, staring at the ceiling in the morning, and the ambulance comes and they recognize you've been dead for hours and they talk to your wife a little bit to explain that her husband is dead, that they're sorry, and that the police will come to keep her company until the medical examiner gets there, and once the medical examiner is there to officiate they will help her figure out what to do with your body. Is there anyone they can call for her? This is what they call dying of old age or natural causes and is widely and wisely seen as the best possible way to leave the Earth, apart from suicide proponents, who are also probably not wrong.

lmao at posting like this in a DGSW thread

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

les fleurs du mall posted:

lmao at posting like this in a DGSW thread

that wolf-nuts guy is actually really smart and hes helping me fix my tachyons

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

dad gay. so what posted:

that wolf-nuts guy is actually really smart and hes helping me fix my tachyons

if it aint broke

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
wish they had left it stopped op

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

are tachyons like an owl's claw?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

are tachyons like an owl's claw?

maybe :confused: thats why i need this wolf-nuts guy to spill the beans, im calling a cardiogrammer wirgh now

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Depends.

Your heart has an almost continuously arranged set of failsafes where if the impulse to beat doesn't start where it usually does it will start somewhere else. It wouldn't be exactly wrong to say that any cell in the heart could potentially get things going again. Obviously the heart is meant to beat in a certain coordinated fashion and from the SA node down with conduction thresholds being met along the hearts biological circuitry in order is the way to achieve this but even a grabastic random squeezing is going to work better than nothing thanks to the multiple one way valves in place in your heart and vasculature.

Dad gay has a part of his heart near the top that is just going bezerk sometimes and causing beats to start when it shouldn't. To stop that you can either chemically or electrically shut down the heart for an instant and hopefully order restores itself. In the mid term the usual fix is to chill the whole system out with medications and hopefully this drops this naughty bit of cells below the point where it causes a beat before the SA node does. Sometimes it's not that exact region that's the issue but the fact that incorrectly a circuit has been made (through bad living) back to that spot so like a whiny white kid in front of a judge it's friends keep making it do it. Long term they fix this by abalsion, of locating the errant cells and nuking them, leaving a tiny dead spatch in the heart that turns into useless scar tissue but at least doesn't cause trouble. This works pretty well in the modern era.

Some people as they go through life lose the failsafes one at a time. The SA node gives out. The top cells get lazy. Almost all the other wiring fails. Note that when I say fails what is usually going on is cell malformation or death often due to other problems with the heart as the heart is obviously its own blood supply. So your heart might be okay and then you have a heart attack (which is where your arteries crack internally because they're stiff as hell from you not watching your cholesterol and general cardiovascular health, then your body does you the favor of sealing that crack up with a clot, but it goes too far and clots that bitch shut, effectively suffocating all heart tissues distal to that blood supply) and if you don't die now a part of your heart doesn't work in the pattern it should. If it's the top part of your heart oh well, no biggie, you have reduced function. If it's the bottom part that could be a big problem. One particular blood supply is key to feeding the biological tissues that run down the heart and function as the circuitry that I keep talking about this particular artery is known as the Widowmaker as if it's the one that get plugged up outcomes aren't good. Anyway, this kind of erosion gets you into territories where either the whole heart can stop at once or else it's poised to.

But hey maybe your heart stops because you've so profoundly hosed up the balance of chemicals used to run the whole shop that the heart either goes perfectly slack or seizes up like a rock. For example if you get a big fat injection of potassium because you've been sentenced to die from bad posting or maybe you're a shithead who wouldn't stop drinking and eating and got diabetes and high blood pressure and the abnormally high volume of heavy sugar molecules pounding the delicate filter tissues of your kidneys eroded your kidneys so now you can no longer expel potassium and then you decided to skip dialysis because gawd it's so inconvenient to me and gee whiz hope someone can fix this temporarily while you're on your way to emergency dialysis to continue living your "life" of being fat, tired, and going to dialysis three times a week and being a burden on everyone in society.

Maybe your heart stops because someone shot a bullet through it and it's torn to poo poo. It probably doesn't matter if someone shoots you through the heart when you're on the surgeon's table because you'll be braindead before they can get anything in place to get blood to your brain again, plus most of your heart tissues die from anoxia almost as quickly as brain tissue does so the bits that had vascular interruptions will certainly be dead and lol if you can loose that much of your heart and still have one that when sewn together will be able to put out enough blood to keep you alive.

Maybe however you have a few early failsafes offline and kind of a bad ticker that sometimes works okay and sometimes runs erratically and due to stress hormones and a meal heavy in the wrong chemical ion and maybe a little physical exertion your heart just starts going bezerk. Lots of times they call this "your heart stopped" on TV. In that case you can shock the poo poo out of it and hopefully that causes uniform discharge and the natural leaders in electrical discharge go first and things return to normal. Maybe you should have a pacemaker put in to do this automatically and not risk death before you can get to a hospital if that happens again if that's the case. If this happens several times your heart may even develop collateral vasculature and you can be the guy that lives through six or seven heart attacks thanks to repeatedly torturing your heart -- of course you'll lose some functionality each time but you can just use that as an excuse to get other people to do stuff for you if you're into that.

Maybe you're lucky and live to your 80s with most of your failsafes in place and then it all goes horribly wrong one night when you're asleep and you wake up just as you start to realize something has gone absoluely wrong but before you can move or groan or roll over you pass out again and your sweet wife of 48 years finds you dead, staring at the ceiling in the morning, and the ambulance comes and they recognize you've been dead for hours and they talk to your wife a little bit to explain that her husband is dead, that they're sorry, and that the police will come to keep her company until the medical examiner gets there, and once the medical examiner is there to officiate they will help her figure out what to do with your body. Is there anyone they can call for her? This is what they call dying of old age or natural causes and is widely and wisely seen as the best possible way to leave the Earth, apart from suicide proponents, who are also probably not wrong.

This was loving tits. Also, I never heard about "mortal dread" until now and goddamn.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i had a tachyon this moring at 4am but i used a vagel maneuver to make it go away, thats good i guess :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

stay safe five guys ghost

god damnit i wanted tomake this joke

• Locked thread