Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Old thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644049

:derp: JUNE 28TH FINAL SEASON :derp:
:derp: Preview: http://cartermatt.com/166047/falling-skies-season-5-spoilers-new-promo-raises-the-stakes-again/ :derp:

Rocksicles posted:

I need closure.

kingcom posted:

This is a dumb show. A very dumb show. I just can't seem to stop watching it.

Alright boys, we're one month out from the final season of this terrible show. A new season preview was just posted which is why I'm making this lovely thread (and I can't post in the previous lovely thread). So set your calendars and let's finish this together.

Just as a reminder, last season gave us literal (ok not literal) Jesus Christ and literal Hitler Youth and some kind of communication device that takes place inside a volcano. Something about a moon blowing up too or maybe it didn't blow up but that was the plan. I don't know. Does anybody even remember? Nope doesn't matter because this show doesn't make sense either way.

If you haven't seen this show before then please take this thread's advice and :frogout:

If you're already invested then :getin:

Sash! posted:

They fooled me three times before, they won't get me a fourth time!

Tomahawk posted:

This is the thread season 4 of Falling Skies deserves, tbh.

Sober posted:

Oh, no.

RoboHoboCop posted:

Just watched the first episode and it really does set the bar higher for how terrible this show can be.

kruna posted:

That poo poo was loving awful.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

how did this literal piece of poo poo get renewed

kingcom posted:

Dude, this show is goddamn amazing. It is a show written by a 10 year old just spouting out all the stuff they think is cool "and then Tom takes a boat with a giant space gun across the river and they dont spot him because Weaver is off on a train and the aliens think the train is the space gun! Also now Tom's daughter is all grown up and she can shoot lighting like storm from the x-men but also shes like professor x cause she has mind powers and she can regenerate like wolverine and she is being taught by an alien who is like obi-wan from star wars but hes actually a bad guy and talks to the other bad alien in a volcano!"

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Well I was here when the madness started. Might as well be here when the madness ends.

See also why I ended up sticking with SoA all the way to the end :smith:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Can't stop now, but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel

kruna
Jun 6, 2006
I missed the rapture.
Falling Skies is the F-35 of TV shows.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I think the start was really good, the middle was okay, but then we got alien-hybrid Jesus. :smith:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tarquinn posted:

I think the start was really good, the middle was okay, but then we got alien-hybrid Jesus. :smith:

I would say the first season was decent no-nonsense scifi fun. Then the writers kept finding new and exciting ways to take the show too seriously and crashed hilariously

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Quoted twice in the OP. My body is ready. This is going to be some dumb rear end tv coming up.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I am ready for the exciting conclusion of Falling Turds, the only sci-fi show where you root for the death of humanity, because the Humans are too drat stupid to live.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I didn't watch any of Season 3, or at least I can't remember doing it, what did the Space French end up doing?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
So it's bad eh? I remember seeing praise for season 1 and 2. Guess I shouldn't check out the series.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I didn't watch any of Season 3, or at least I can't remember doing it, what did the Space French end up doing?

They retreated.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I hate this show. But I hate myself even more, so I guess I will finish it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Finishing this show will be one of the greatest feathers in my lovely achievements cap.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

I would say the first season was decent no-nonsense scifi fun. Then the writers kept finding new and exciting ways to take the show too seriously and crashed hilariously

Except that what's his face never stopped pontificating about history and the American Revolution

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
There's a blingie gif in the OP, never a good sign. :stare:

Is this show bad enjoyable, like nation Z, Or just plain bad?

op posted:

Moon blowing up

:orks: Hey the Skaven already blew up the moon!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

The entirety of Season 3 is about accomplishing one objective. Once it's done, it is made completely invalid at the start of Season 4.

A character screams that humans are the real monsters for not agreeing to peace with the aliens that have wiped out 99% of humanity. The aliens have had almost every single main cast member imprisoned at one point (some characters are prisoners multiple times!) but never execute them. The literal Hitler Youth thing in the opening post isn't an exaggeration.

And despite all this pointing to a show you could laugh at the stupidity, it is not even enjoyably bad. It is the only show in my life that has actually caused me to jump off my seat and call outright bullshit on what just occurred on screen, because it was just that mind-bogglingly stupid.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Klaus88 posted:

In all seriousness it's a pretty bad show and we're just watching it at this point for closure. The good thing for you though is you miss nothing by jumping into the final season next month cause the story just makes no sense so yeah.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm rooting for all the aliens to kill every last human moron on this show. Hopefully I won't be let down.

I will be.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm looking forward to creating the Under the Dome hatewatching thread, the superior awful summer show.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm looking forward to creating the Under the Dome hatewatching thread, the superior awful summer show.

Don't forget the Last Ship.

I'm gonna ride this Summer into the ground. :slick:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I like the last ship in the entertaining sense but the story is kinda dumb and it's dumber that the ships captain and probably highest ranking person in the U.S. government/military goes on every single mission.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like the last ship in the entertaining sense but the story is kinda dumb and it's dumber that the ships captain and probably highest ranking person in the U.S. government/military goes on every single mission.

Would it help if the ship was named Enterprise?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's not really the same thing case as far as I know and I've only seen the new Star Trek movies, the world hasn't ended that the Enterprise crew is just one of many crews with similar missions. The world in The Last Ship has all but been destroyed by disease and this one particular naval ship is more or less humanity's last hope cause there is literally nobody else.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Last Ship: Wagon Train to the Apocalypse

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cool, i made the OP... Love this show back to front...June 28th WOOO

No sarcasm either... i'm not hate watching something i gave 2340 mins of my life too.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 27, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I literally marathoned this series over the past week due to being sick, Jesus Christ what a clusterfuck.

Now I am actually excited to see how it ends.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

:allears: so glad to see the OP is still using my very first ever created animated gif.

I missed last season because I simply couldn't finish either the first or second episode (I tried them both). If I enjoyed hate-watching the first three is it worth powering through until I get to the funny stuff, or has it really gone from good-bad to just-plain-bad-bad?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I suffered through Season 1 of this show. After that, I simply come back to these threads to see if I should watch the rest and every time, it validates my decision to abandon the show and never look back. But I have to know, these voices from the volcano poo poo, is this show becoming the modern incarnation of the Scientology Creation myth, is Xenu going to appear this season?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Iowa Snow King posted:

Don't forget the Last Ship.

I'm gonna ride this Summer into the ground. :slick:

Last Ship is bad but still watchable but Under The Dome deserves its own category of bad

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cactus posted:

I missed last season because I simply couldn't finish either the first or second episode (I tried them both). If I enjoyed hate-watching the first three is it worth powering through until I get to the funny stuff, or has it really gone from good-bad to just-plain-bad-bad?

The show just loses its loving mind at a certain point. I still feel like floating the ship with the giant canon on it down the river in broad daylight is the highpoint of the show. Them just giving a character arbitrary and increasingly dumb super powers for no reason and then having stupid hitler youth stuff is kinda something you need to see to believe. Tom steals an alien space ship, can fly because ???? and blows up the alien moon base. They have a moon base because ??? and its feeding power to everything on the planet because ???

radical meme posted:

I suffered through Season 1 of this show. After that, I simply come back to these threads to see if I should watch the rest and every time, it validates my decision to abandon the show and never look back. But I have to know, these voices from the volcano poo poo, is this show becoming the modern incarnation of the Scientology Creation myth, is Xenu going to appear this season?

Nah, they were just talking in a volcano because it looked cool. There was literally nothing else to it, just the long range communication devices they had for some reason made things look like it was in a volcano.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 5, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Oh wow, right, final season.

I kinda should catch up on last season. I don't hate the show, but I hate the show when it does a lot of dumb poo poo for the sake of the plot. Which means everyone has to act dumb.

Hopefully they have more of those long shots going down a convoy or something that they do in a single take, those are actually the best parts of the show, because no one acts dumb and the plot is generally not involved.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Last Ship is bad but still watchable but Under The Dome deserves its own category of bad

Yeah I've described the Last Ship as a show made by Tom Clancy's angry ghost. The only people who agree with the show's main themes and plot are people who were able to vote for Ronald Reagan and are still proud of that, but at least every now and then there's a good shooty-action scene to make it interesting if you don't think about it too long

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just as a reminder, last season gave us literal (ok not literal) Jesus Christ and literal Hitler Youth and some kind of communication device that takes place inside a volcano. Something about a moon blowing up too or maybe it didn't blow up but that was the plan. I don't know. Does anybody even remember? Nope doesn't matter because this show doesn't make sense either way.

Okay according to Amazon I made it all the way through seasons one and two, though I don't know how; quit right in the middle of the first episode of season 3.

Looks like I dodged a bullet there.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

MullardEL34 posted:

I am ready for the exciting conclusion of Falling Turds, the only sci-fi show where you root for the death of humanity, because the Humans are too drat stupid to live.

To be fair both sides are completely fucktarded. Apparently Aliens that can travel across the Galaxy can't find a large convoy of trucks crossing open ground because they put blankets over the engines and satellites are for babies. Then there's the time the Alien Overlord tells Tom his evil plan, then LEAVES HIM ALONE WITH THE SHIP'S CONTROL PANEL!

I'm ready to ride this train of resentment straight into a walkie talkie volcano.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Under the Dome takes the cake for the most terrible show, but this one is right up there. It almost hurts worse though, since Falling Skies actually started out good.

I just wish my name was as badass as Moon Bloodgood.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I am not gonna defend this show it just keeps getting stupid, and they even ripped off V.

But the one plot point that made sense to me was the idea that invading aliens, have their own agenda and humans have nothing to do with it. Almost love craftian in their ambivalence.

When the space french show up the group has some guns and tatics that the aliens arent ready for. because they were doing what ever the gently caress they were doing, it was even explained that they heavy duty mechs they used for the invasion were moth balled, and they were gonna take them out and refuel them using a nuclear power plant which the characters then figure out how to destroy safely thus crippling the enemy ability to fight.

I would honestly love to watch a show that dealt with plot points like that the mystery of why the invasion happened. Clever ways they could be fought. Throw in another faction arming the humans like the CIA did for the Taliban. It could be rather entertaining.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm on like Season 3 episode 9 and drat man I thought this season was going okayish till Tom went mental over pope dropping a dead snake on him and they both try to murder each other. Since then everything has been crazy and dumb.

The highlight at the moment was the bandit family who played switcheroo with their guns with the Mason's about 3 times.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
God this show is bad.
I reckon 2/3 of the sons will survive. Oh and the edgy blonde girl.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Andrew_1985 posted:

God this show is bad.
I reckon 2/3 of the sons will survive. Oh and the edgy blonde girl.

Alternatively, the classic Grey aliens show up, kill everything and everyone, and turn Earth into an intergalactic rest stop/fuel depot.

The best of all series finales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gonz posted:

Alternatively, the classic Grey aliens show up, kill everything and everyone, and turn Earth into an intergalactic rest stop/fuel depot.

The best of all series finales.

This show just makes me want to see an X-COM tv series.

• Locked thread