Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I finished the first season and in the world of Falling Skies Soviet RPGs are guided munitions.

"RPGs do not work that way! Good night!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

Jesus christ this show is still on. Anyone got a decent recap to catch up without putting myself through the misery? I stopped somewhere with the magic baby reveal.

Magic baby grew really fast into an adult with superpowers. A weird cult sprung up around her. Everone else spent the first 10 episodes in a prison camp before they got out and met up. They argued forever about how bad the aliens were and if peace was possible. There was some stuff about human collaborators who were literally nazis. Then they found out that all the important alien stuff was on the moon. (the good aliens never noticed I guess. ) so Tom and the psychic baby went to the moon in a stolen ufo and blew it up. (The stuff not the moon)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Also the magic baby died to save Tom because loose ends.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Jesus christ this show is still on. Anyone got a decent recap to catch up without putting myself through the misery? I stopped somewhere with the magic baby reveal.

If I had time, I'd alter the All Your Base gif to throw in a picture of disheveled Noah Wylie and a tall alien. It's very close to the same plot.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Wow! Thanks! I am now ready.

I wanted this show to be good. So badly. An alien invasion with undertones of the american revolution? and the main guy is a HISTORY PROFESSOR? It should be great! What the hell.

ContraceptiveCereal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 17, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wow! Thanks! I am now ready.

I wanted this show to be good. So badly. An alien invasion with undertones of the american revolution? and the main guy is a HISTORY PROFESSOR? It should be great! What the hell.

You knew it was garbage from that stupid scooter scene in the first episode, we all did.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

IRQ posted:

You knew it was garbage from that stupid scooter scene in the first episode, we all did.

I bet if someone went through and edited out half the show you'd have something good. It's dumb as hell but that's not really a bad thing. It's the glacial pacing. They love spending half an episode on really boring dialogues, or they'll have a season long plot that they just forget about.

Whatever happened to the good skitters? There were tons of them. Did they die or something?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The problem is the show is just all over the place. There are so many dropped plot points and inconsistencies all the time. A few seasons ago they were living in a city full of people, then they hosed off to do some mission, and like, forgot they were living in a city and never went back. Remember back when the aliens used eye worms to spy on humans? Neither does anyone else apparently. The show is full of poo poo like that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They started using little eye scanners to detect the worms. Speaking of which I'll give them credit for he bug with human eyes. that thing was creepy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Pope discovers the ammo the mechs use is literally just regular bullets with magic metal on the end of them, demonstrates it by using a normal gun to blast a massive hole in mech armor. A ton of it is made for the team, the result being....actually sweet gently caress all, they still fire full auto and rarely hit anything. And it's never mentioned again in season 2.

It's always been pretty obvious they don't really give a poo poo about the plot.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Whatever happened to the good skitters? There were tons of them. Did they die or something?

A wizard killed them.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anyone remember that show about people on an overcrowded earth that went back in time to settle the dinosaur era? It was kinda the same thing. Awesome premise, decent action and characters, half of every episode wasted on boring misplaced family drama.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anyone remember that show about people on an overcrowded earth that went back in time to settle the dinosaur era? It was kinda the same thing. Awesome premise, decent action and characters, half of every episode wasted on boring misplaced family drama.

That show was really, really bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Terra Nova, and yes it was bad/good in all the ways Falling Skies is and I have made the comparison many times. The only difference is that Terra Nova was on Fox so it got killed after like 12 episodes. I loved it like I love Falling Skies, in the way that you love a dopey retarded dog that pees on the floor when it's so happy to see you and it runs around like an idiot until it skids skitters on the floor into a wall headfirst and looks bewildered for a few seconds then just walks over wagging its tail like its brain hit the reset button.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What scooter scene? Is it on YouTube anywhere?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Boris Galerkin posted:

What scooter scene? Is it on YouTube anywhere?

https://youtu.be/Wj9v9DluJjY?t=2130

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
This show's so bad that all I can focus on while watching the new season is how the youngest son's voice has changed. I bet it really pisses off the writers that they can't just forget about that like every other plot point and have his voice suddenly go back to being higher pitched in a couple of episodes.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
You didn't earn this drama Falling Skies

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
John "Travis Bickle/Charlie Manson" Pope.
This is all so dumb. There are so few humans left that Pope's crew would have zero chance.

But this is Falling Skies, so....

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 20, 2015

kruna
Jun 6, 2006
I missed the rapture.
Quite a lot happened in this episode.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So they decide to character assassinate the only sensible likeable guy on the entire show, the manifestation of the viewers' frustrations with this trainwreck. I'm not even mad.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That dumb doctor literally told Pope to spare her and go after the Mason kids instead, then acts all surprised when he does...

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Did they ever delve into the whole Pope runs a gang of rapists but he has a heart of gold thing? As in did they ever deal with him condoning or at least allowing rape to happen, if not a rapist himself? Rape.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Did they ever delve into the whole Pope runs a gang of rapists but he has a heart of gold thing? As in did they ever deal with him condoning or at least allowing rape to happen, if not a rapist himself? Rape.

Didn't they handwave this away as the gang not being his when that stuff happened?

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
I feel like Blond Girl 1 was raped by his gang prior to the pilot right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Jesus Tom shut the hell up and leave the man alone he literally just buried his partner and now you're going to lecture him.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

I feel like Blond Girl 1 was raped by his gang prior to the pilot right?

Pretty sure Maggie was being raped by Pope's brother and at least a few others, but Pope claimed not to know about it. He just thought she wanted to be the gang's slave or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

IRQ posted:

Didn't they handwave this away as the gang not being his when that stuff happened?

He was in the gang but not part of the actual rape, and all the rapists were the ones that died in the fighting that episode. I'm loving that he's become aware of, and getting pissed about the main characters' plot armour.

I'm amazed that no one is talking about the absurdity of the alien grabbing the gun with it's giant claws and killing itself.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Okay so finally got around to watching the last episode and some of it just doesn't make sense.

- I don't really understand the concept of being taken off of active duty. There are like no more soldiers man. Everyone and their mothers literally has a gun for safety and probably for very good reason since aliens can seemingly come out of no where. Are you trying to tell me that those men that were with Pope are "soldiers" under the command of the colonel?

- Antony's sudden turn to bad makes no sense either. "You're not the only one who hates the Mason family." What? What did "the Mason family" do? It was the colonel who took his gun away and Ann's just the doctor. As far as I can remember, that family's been pretty good to him this entire time on the count of him not being named Pope.

- I can kinda understand Pope's sudden turn cause it just goes back to his S1 character. Except, well, this means that 4 seasons of character building has just gone out the window so what was even the point? Also, killing your ONLY doctor? Seriously?

- I posted this already but lol at Tom lecturing Pope literally right after he's set the headstone down.

- "Oh good you guys are American" :v:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
That was a perfectly good shovel, Pope. Wow.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hezzy posted:

I said the exact same thing when that happened.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Hezzy posted:

Hey, he broke bad. Shovels be damned.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It was just last season the Pope was calling Tom a glory hound who was always trying to lead every charge and volunteer for every mission.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

It was just last season the Pope was calling Tom a glory hound who was always trying to lead every charge and volunteer for every mission.

And only two seasons since the show was about aliens!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Pope has always been whatever the writers wanted him to be at a given moment. Rapist motorcycle gang leader turned bread baker turned ammunition materials engineering wizard turned military leader turned capitalist kingpin mob leader, good guy insurgent, bad guy loose cannon alien genocidal crazy, family man who wants to settle down, on and on. You can't fault him for calling out the Mason family plot armor though, mostly because it's hilarious. They did stop short of making Pope an actual Pope, which lets not forget they really could have done!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

They did stop short of making Pope an actual Pope, which lets not forget they really could have done!

This show ain't over yet.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I bet Pope shits in the woods too.

Waverider
Oct 26, 2001

So aliens have no doctors because they aren't allowed to change destiny or something, but have advanced medical tech to remove the skitter spikes?

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Waverider posted:

So aliens have no doctors because they aren't allowed to change destiny or something, but have advanced medical tech to remove the skitter spikes?

The writers don't even remember when that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Pope's face in the last scene lol.

This episode honestly wasn't too bad I think. I was expecting to see tied up aliens behind that door though.

• Locked thread