Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Whatever happened to the good skitters? There were tons of them. Did they die or something?

A wizard killed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

geera posted:

Yeah I actually had to go back and make sure I didn't skip an episode since the start of this one seemed so disconnected from the end of the last one.

And 'they run into people, but the people are evil' is a plot they've done 1900948234980394823 times already. So smart to spend an episode on this with such little time remaining.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I'm also loving how big of an opportunity they had to actually make semi-productive use of the Pope plot, instead of just weirdly dropping it- why not have Evil Judge call him as a witness, after some of their scouts caught him trailing after the 2nd Mass or something? He could give his rambling 'Mason gets everyone killed' speech, and say the exact same things that Evil Judge says, confirming her otherwise ludicrous accusations... I know that logic, storytelling, and world-building are foreign concepts to the FS writers, but why not tie this pointless derail into one of the few plot points that has actually survived from season to season?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

counterfeitsaint posted:

That actually would have made those plot, well, still bad, but less bad.

Yeah it would have still been extremely dumb, and an enormous waste of time, but at least it would have made use of a character that has been saying the exact same stuff all season, and tied in to the other multi-episode derail they wrote a few episodes back.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I hope the two last episodes both feature pointless derails where they fight against humans and when they finally reach DC some other, more competent band of survivors has gotten there first and won. Tom Mason is remembered as an idiot who fell into every trap he could and was later killed by a rogue skitter while taking a poo poo in a barn where some random holdouts were keeping him hostage. Cochise farts loudly and then the Volm fly away to whatever broke-rear end planet they came from, both Mason boys are taken in by Pope as their adoptive father, and the alien dream-wife turns out to have been a figment of Toms imagination all along.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

IRQ posted:

Pope went out to exploding video game barrels. Nice :effort: bringing poo poo in for the home stretch, Falling Skies writers!

I was sure this was a trick, it was just so anti-climactic. And lol at Anthony suddenly being OK again, after trying to lure Mason's wife into a Pope death trap a few episodes ago.

Not one step closer to DC, too.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I like that even Tom is getting annoyed by the alien's vague bullshit at this point.

I love how so much of this show is predicated on people not telling each other things they need to know, or asking obvious questions. Mason gets a weird scary alien device that will somehow kill 'all of them, everywhere' and doesn't stop to ask if it's a biological weapon that would kill everyone, or something even weirder and worse? The writers needed to have some tension over what it is and how it works, so they just didn't have him ask the first thing anyone would ask when given something that bizarre.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah what, someone gives you a super weapon that they made and instead of asking them how it works you take it to the lab to pick at it in a glovebox?

Yep! Here's this terrifying glowing death orb, definitely safe behind half an inch of plexiglass and some reasonably thick gloves, right?

With any other alien thing they find they're like 'ooooh, careful, don't touch it, it's weird.' With this superweapon they decide to poke it with sticks because Mason took it from an alien with no more than a 'huh, cool, thanks.'

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Wait you guys really think Pope is dead?

I think so, and honestly the alternative is even weirder- like NecroBob said, he survived? And crawled his roasted rear end out of the rubble and sneaked off the base? So that he could do something next episode? Either way it's a wet narrative fart, but I think the show actually meant for Mason's "so long, Pope" line to be a cool badass end to the idiotic Pope story.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

counterfeitsaint posted:

He's going to find Pope tied up as a hostage in Washington. Turns out evil Pope was an alien replicant all along.

The entire last episode is them with the new Pope, trying to decide if he's evil or not. Also, is an evil Pope kind of a double negative thing where that actually makes him good? It's very obvious he's evil the entire time, but Mason or Maggie or someone tries to shake his hand and then it turn's out he's evil! Some kind of goofy trick weapon they discovered at the last minute saves Mason though, and before we can even comment on the fact that we've seen this plot before there's a smash cut to Washington DC, where a bunch of militias have killed the alien queen and saved the day.

Weaver tosses the alien superweapon at Mason as a goof and it turns out their stupid human-proofing thing didn't work; Mason dies and the 2nd Mass is quickly forgotten as other, more competent militias rebuild our world. The end.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Tailored Sauce posted:

They could have literally just said "Don't disturb these eggs, let's just move past them quickly and quietly" but no there is always some bullshit that has to go on with even the simplest task.

Haha that's basically the heart of Falling Skies, something exciting is always theoretically around the corner but entire scenes, episodes, and seasons go by before they get there because they have to sit around jacking off some alien eggs, and then the show ends.

For a second I thought that Mason wasn't going to be able to get to the death dildo and that maybe the Dornia had infected him with space AIDS or something, knowing that he would find a way to get to the queen and knowing that the queen wanted to suck his blood (for reasons?!) and that it was all a sneaky way of killing the queen, who would naturally be way too fast to actually get killed by the space dildo... but nope, he just grabbed it with Magic Reach and killed her.

Also laughing at all the stuff they made up along the way that clashes with what the queen said. If she just wanted to kill all the humans why did the Aspheni spend years making children carry around scrap metal?! What in the loving... What was with those space nazi children camps? Why not just kill them? What was the point of Lexi?!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

BattleMaster posted:

Earth was also long-established as a backwater that wasn't worth devoting large quantities of resources towards fully subjugating, and the Volm showed up just because they happened to be in the neighbourhood. This contradicts everything that the Queen was saying, along with what you had said.

Oh man, I forgot about all that. Good call. I think if you went back and looked at everything Evil Blonde Girl said you'd also find a bunch more stuff that's inconsistent with how the show started and how it ended... It's so Falling Skies for the final villainous reveal to somehow make the entire show make even less sense. Well done writers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Tony_Montana posted:

Man it's sad that the show was so bad but Noah Wyle, who plays Tom Mason, is genuinely a good actor who tried to do his best. Moon Bloodgood isn't bad either.

Yeah, I really wouldn't blame the actors on this one. They were given 5 seasons of complete nonsense, only so much they could do.

• Locked thread