Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like the last ship in the entertaining sense but the story is kinda dumb and it's dumber that the ships captain and probably highest ranking person in the U.S. government/military goes on every single mission.

Would it help if the ship was named Enterprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Waverider posted:

After seeing the production values and overall quality of Dark Matter, I'm actually looking forward to Falling Skies.

A darkened room with christmas lights on the walls looks better than Dark Matter, but Falling Skies has Pope, the most lovable racist rapist rear end in a top hat character that a show so relatively bad at characters makes you love. :3:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blackchamber posted:

I liked that Cochise was talking about how many militias there were and threw in something about how they all lack leadership. 317 groups of humans banding together, having to feed and shelter themselves, arm themselves, and actively fight what remains of the aliens oppressors... and somehow they are all disorganized clusterfucks that just need somebody like Tom Mason to lead them.

Obviously the rebels in Sao Paulo need more tenuous analogies to the american revolution to fight the aliens. Tom Mason just needs to roll up and reflect upon how Washington crossed the Amazon.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Klaus88 posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I saw a confederate flag in the background but it was just some awkwardly arranged scenery.

Has anyone captured the exact moment where Noah Wyle's career hit rock bottom?

Even though he would continue to show up on ER from time to time for a few years, it was that first Librarian movie he did on, you guessed it, TNT.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yes, and there's loads of cheap ammo for them in the states, but he uses it because they showed him a bunch of guns and let him pick the one he thought the character would use/was the coolest looking or whatever. That's literally all the thought that was put in or ever needs to be.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

NecroBob posted:

Two questions:

2. Why not go for Sara first? The skitter factory will still be there tomorrow.

To make Pope go all crazy-eyes pissed off at Tom. I'm sure that'll pan out to be something real dumb.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Also the magic baby died to save Tom because loose ends.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

Wow! Thanks! I am now ready.

I wanted this show to be good. So badly. An alien invasion with undertones of the american revolution? and the main guy is a HISTORY PROFESSOR? It should be great! What the hell.

You knew it was garbage from that stupid scooter scene in the first episode, we all did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anyone remember that show about people on an overcrowded earth that went back in time to settle the dinosaur era? It was kinda the same thing. Awesome premise, decent action and characters, half of every episode wasted on boring misplaced family drama.

Terra Nova, and yes it was bad/good in all the ways Falling Skies is and I have made the comparison many times. The only difference is that Terra Nova was on Fox so it got killed after like 12 episodes. I loved it like I love Falling Skies, in the way that you love a dopey retarded dog that pees on the floor when it's so happy to see you and it runs around like an idiot until it skids skitters on the floor into a wall headfirst and looks bewildered for a few seconds then just walks over wagging its tail like its brain hit the reset button.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

Did they ever delve into the whole Pope runs a gang of rapists but he has a heart of gold thing? As in did they ever deal with him condoning or at least allowing rape to happen, if not a rapist himself? Rape.

Didn't they handwave this away as the gang not being his when that stuff happened?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hezzy posted:

That was a perfectly good shovel, Pope. Wow.

I said the exact same thing when that happened.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It was just last season the Pope was calling Tom a glory hound who was always trying to lead every charge and volunteer for every mission.

Pope has always been whatever the writers wanted him to be at a given moment. Rapist motorcycle gang leader turned bread baker turned ammunition materials engineering wizard turned military leader turned capitalist kingpin mob leader, good guy insurgent, bad guy loose cannon alien genocidal crazy, family man who wants to settle down, on and on. You can't fault him for calling out the Mason family plot armor though, mostly because it's hilarious. They did stop short of making Pope an actual Pope, which lets not forget they really could have done!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kruna posted:

So what happened with Cochise's father's position as space president? Someone else fill the rank? Did I miss that part while skipping thru the lame parts?

I thought the remaining space french were there against orders as the rest of them hosed off to fight somewhere else.

MacDougall posted:

If you guys want to watch a post apocalyptic Alien drama then watch Defiance. Defiance is just a beautiful little show and the character dev, continuity and plot advancement is savant.

You watch Falling Skies for very different reasons from why you watch Defiance.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This show was bad from day one, if you stuck around hoping for it to be anything but I don't know what to tell you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

NecroBob posted:

One episode down and literally no closer to getting to Washington to wrap this thing up.

Fantastic.

EDIT: Also, holy loving :lol: at just ripping out spikes with a pair of pliers. Makes the Volm Magic Fingers thing completely unnecessary.

It really really hurt!!

Also what are the odds Pope winds up saving the 2nd Mass from the 20th predictably evil military unit we've seen turn evil within 10 minutes of being introduced?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McTimmy posted:

Charleston was either bombed or thrown into the ghettos, the show never says which. Frankly it's more hilarious that they're in awe of a working military when they met with the President's soldiers in season 3 but the whole show seems to have forgotten that season exists.

Now I wonder if we will even see Pope again, which would just be hilarious if we didn't. Or he shows up Millennium Falcon style 5 minutes to the end with no mention of his blood feud with the Mason family's plot armor ever mentioned.

I put nothing past this show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FISHMANPET posted:

I was thinking randomly today of Chekhov's Gun, and basically what was the point of the surgery on that guy with the bullet wound?

Randomly thinking is how this show is written, except with much less thinking than you were doing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh good, they didn't forget Pope existed, he just formed some kind of hedonistic thunderdome society in like a week under the nose of the paranoid psycho human hunting sleeper agent by building giant bonfires and getting trashed and blasting buttrock a day's walk from camp witchhunt cause that's covert.

I honestly don't hatewatch this show, I just want to see where they can manage to take it next and it never fails to deliver.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I would put even money on the writers suddenly remembering that Tom is a history teacher and try to shoehorn that in somehow to the main endgame.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I hope the two last episodes both feature pointless derails where they fight against humans and when they finally reach DC some other, more competent band of survivors has gotten there first and won. Tom Mason is remembered as an idiot who fell into every trap he could and was later killed by a rogue skitter while taking a poo poo in a barn where some random holdouts were keeping him hostage. Cochise farts loudly and then the Volm fly away to whatever broke-rear end planet they came from, both Mason boys are taken in by Pope as their adoptive father, and the alien dream-wife turns out to have been a figment of Toms imagination all along.

You're kidding yourself if Tom Mason doesn't literally cross the Delaware river standing at the front of a boat before defeating the space british.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pope went out to exploding video game barrels. Nice :effort: bringing poo poo in for the home stretch, Falling Skies writers!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

manwithoutskin posted:

Errr I read that whole scene as he was trying to protect her from Popes other cronies who were about to shoot her. Either way, he is "OK!"

Yeah he clearly realized the errors of his PTSD ways for Reasons because that's totally how that works, and decided to save Ms. Tom Mason because he's totes a good guy again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gonz posted:

The final shot of the series will be Pope's charred fist punching through a pile of rocks after Tom & Pals have wiped out the Espheni and saved the day (but at the cost of their bowels; every human near the weapon when it goes off will lose temporary control of their spinchters)

Smash cut to credits.

*walking dead theme starts playing*

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm just surprised there wasn't a body. I figured they'd at least dedicate a few seconds to pull his corpse out or something but it was just like *boom* "welp so long Pope."

In any other show, I would agree that there's no way he's dead. But this is Falling Skies; they only have about 42 minutes left to wrap this crap up, Tom Mason has to be the neo-George Washington or whatever defeating the aliens at the Lincoln Memorial, and I just don't see how they could bring Pope back and how they could build in a redemption moment since there's no reason for him to do so.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

But what would Pope's role in the finale even be at this point? He still hates Tom Mason, and Tom Mason is still set up to be neo-Washington.

Not that Falling Skies writers couldn't think of something egregiously stupid to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

max4me posted:

Couldn't catch the end so what was the war about? And what was the alien at the end of season 3

Apparently humans in 500 AD killed this queen's daughter and nobody bothered to write that down or pass it on in oral history and all the signs of war were lost to the ages because sure why not.

I love that Pope was alive, barely, and telepathically knew where Tom Mason would be and dragged his half dead rear end to him just to call him an rear end in a top hat one final time. THAT is quality writing.

I'm going to miss this show, there's always a place in my heart for profoundly terrible sci-fi and man oh man did Falling Skies fit the bill.

• Locked thread