Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
V made the cast of this show look like loving rocket scientists. Half the aliens were double agents working for the humans and they still couldn't pull off a win. Luckily the aliens spent a season trying to find out what a soul is because some random priest said that "nothing could stop the power of the human spirit" or some poo poo.

I actually like the Event. It was boring a lot of the time but the last 2 minutes always had me ready for the next episode.

My highlights from last season were that they used a slow version of this song for a character's funeral.

Actually I think it was the funeral of that really really REALLY annoying girl that had a religious meltdown and started some sort of alien cult. It's kind of hard to describe exactly, but she was only a minor background character that was just so terrible and it was such a relief when she died. But the show was trying to treat it like a main character having a heroic death. The whole cast was deeply affected and sad about it and it didn't fit the audience reaction at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Last season ended with him blowing up the alien moonbase that was powering all the alien stuff. Then his spaceship went out of control.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Why do they keep bringing Ben into situations where they know there's an overload?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They seemed oddly surprised that there were other survivors. Like they thought they were so awesome that no one else in the world could have done what they did. Even thought they have a guy from a camp in Africa.

If this were a good show they'd just kill of this cast and show us what's going down in Australia or Japan or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
V had the same thing. The main characters had a resistance cell consisting of the FBI agent in charge of organizing security anywhere the aliens were going, the head alien's doctor, the head alien's daughter, a former arms dealer/terrorist etc and they couldn't get anything accomplished. At some point there was another resistance cell that was using suicide bombers and actually doing stuff. The main characters were super pissed.

At one point they team up and the other leader has a whole plan "We've got a guy on the inside we can sneak explosives through a hole in the security. We just take out the alien leader and save everyone on the entire planet. " "No innocent people might get hurt. We have to use my stupid idea that will fail and doom the Earth."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
If Falling Skies was a 30 minute show it would probably be pretty good.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
At least one more. One season ended with Cocheese landing, and the next one started with a time skip.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
"Oh no! They're heading right for our food! Quick blow it up!"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Hezzy posted:

ok so the new aliens aren't skitters or anything http://i.imgur.com/R8yZapA.png

or not, they were pre-skitters

poor sara :(

Big twist: his wife was an alien the whole time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

Jesus christ this show is still on. Anyone got a decent recap to catch up without putting myself through the misery? I stopped somewhere with the magic baby reveal.

Magic baby grew really fast into an adult with superpowers. A weird cult sprung up around her. Everone else spent the first 10 episodes in a prison camp before they got out and met up. They argued forever about how bad the aliens were and if peace was possible. There was some stuff about human collaborators who were literally nazis. Then they found out that all the important alien stuff was on the moon. (the good aliens never noticed I guess. ) so Tom and the psychic baby went to the moon in a stolen ufo and blew it up. (The stuff not the moon)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

IRQ posted:

You knew it was garbage from that stupid scooter scene in the first episode, we all did.

I bet if someone went through and edited out half the show you'd have something good. It's dumb as hell but that's not really a bad thing. It's the glacial pacing. They love spending half an episode on really boring dialogues, or they'll have a season long plot that they just forget about.

Whatever happened to the good skitters? There were tons of them. Did they die or something?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They started using little eye scanners to detect the worms. Speaking of which I'll give them credit for he bug with human eyes. that thing was creepy.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anyone remember that show about people on an overcrowded earth that went back in time to settle the dinosaur era? It was kinda the same thing. Awesome premise, decent action and characters, half of every episode wasted on boring misplaced family drama.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Boris Galerkin posted:

What scooter scene? Is it on YouTube anywhere?

https://youtu.be/Wj9v9DluJjY?t=2130

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

IRQ posted:

Didn't they handwave this away as the gang not being his when that stuff happened?

He was in the gang but not part of the actual rape, and all the rapists were the ones that died in the fighting that episode. I'm loving that he's become aware of, and getting pissed about the main characters' plot armour.

I'm amazed that no one is talking about the absurdity of the alien grabbing the gun with it's giant claws and killing itself.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It was just last season the Pope was calling Tom a glory hound who was always trying to lead every charge and volunteer for every mission.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Tailored Sauce posted:

I'm going to predict that Mason will use his charm and loveable persona to unite this military together and they'll all march on Washington. A huge battle ensues, and the humans are losing but at the very end we'll get a Pope Ex Machina and hooray humanity is saved. One of the Mason boys will have to die though.

Come on! The judge lady is clearly an infected alien. She's using the military to kill other people under the guise of them being "collaborators." It was obvious like 10 minutes in.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

kruna posted:

Did any of you guys notice that the Commanding Officer lady has this scar on the side of her neck that keeps bleeding?

They were playing it up so much by the end, I thought everyone understood it. They're all just standing there staring at her. Then everyone decides nothing is wrong and goes back to the trial.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

manwithoutskin posted:

Errr I read that whole scene as he was trying to protect her from Popes other cronies who were about to shoot her. Either way, he is "OK!"

At best he's mentally unstable, with a history of losing touch with reality and irresponsible use of explosives. At worst is a psychopath that will freak out the second he isn't allowed to be killing something.

This was such a bizarre episode. The main conflict was whether the girl was an alien spy. It's an obvious spy since she can't demonstrate the amazing powers of the person she's copying and there's no reason to think she's alive. All the characters immediately know this, and it's confirmed by psychic aliens. Soooo what were we waiting around for? Why were we watching?

I don't know what they were thinking with Pope. He started as a crazy gang leader, and had a general arc of beginning to reluctantly start caring about other people. Except he kept switching back to being an rear end in a top hat until he changes his mind and decides to support the team again. I think it's kind of tied in with Tom. Every single person they meet thinks he's the greatest guy ever and they need internal strife. Tom always has to be right, so they need Pope to be wrong. So he's kinda in this state where the writers want him to grow but they can't lose the rear end in a top hat character. So then they add girl Pope and it looks like Pope will turn good, while she takes his place as the rear end in a top hat who is wrong. But that makes their romance weird, and she needs to develop so she starts turning good and now there's no rear end in a top hat and a duplicate character. I assume at this point they just said gently caress it, killed her off and had Pope go on his weird revenge thing.

The whole thing just ignore every rule of storytelling and character development. I feel like they started by saying "Let's have Tom kill Pope!" and worked backwards from there.

I like that even Tom is getting annoyed by the alien's vague bullshit at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
"Do you even know what you did to deserve being invaded?" You brought this on yourself"
"What? how?"
"The first time we tried to invade you, you killed us. So it's your fault."

Even Tom was smart enough to know that made zero sense.

I kind of zoned out at the end. Did Tom's wife die? Did we care?

• Locked thread