Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
Problem description: Getting random BSOD's - sometimes while gaming, sometimes while running windows update. It's not the same file everytime. There is a lot of them as well.. 34 since I reinstalled the OS. I am not doing any overclocking.

Attempted fixes: I attempted to use WhoCrashed to read the dump logs and it wasn't able to make any suggestions. I tried to used WinDBG as well with little success. My hunch it is the Video Card and I have tried multiple drivers with not a lot of luck.

Recent changes: No Changes this is a new build. I also did a complete reinstall of 8.1 X64 and the issue still continued.

Operating system: Windows 8.1 X64

System specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive )
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes - Because the BSOD is not caused by the same file it has very hard to find a good troubleshooting method.

I've attached logs/minidumps from a tool I found one another website. Please let me know if you need any other info. This is driving me crazy as it is a brand new build.

Not sure if FileDropper is an okay resource to use - please let me know if not and I will upload it elsewhere.

http://www.filedropper.com/r5-sun0524201518352021

Here are the last 10 crashes if this helps:
ntoskrnl.exe - APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
ntkrnlmp.exe - APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
ntoskrnl.exe - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
ntoskrnl.exe - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
hal.dll - ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
ntoskrnl.exe - ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
ntoskrnl.exe - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
hal.dll - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

DaRealAce fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
In attempt to rule out hardware I ran a CPU stress test and watched temps - never got above 77 and no BSOD.
http://i.imgur.com/Eys1pfq.png

Ran MEMTEST86 for 3 hours - no error all pass.

Just had another one when running windows update - it seems to happen pretty often when I run windows update.

This was a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe

I uploaded the mini and full dump here:
https://goo.gl/QcAlAH

DaRealAce fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 25, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Sorry for my ignorance here - but did you suggest portable as you wanted me to boot off a USB and run a test or just so I didn't have to install anything?

I downloaded ultimate and ran it within the OS and got the following:

DaRealAce fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 25, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DaRealAce posted:

In attempt to rule out hardware I ran a CPU stress test and watched temps - never got above 77 and no BSOD.
http://i.imgur.com/Eys1pfq.png

Ran MEMTEST86 for 3 hours - no error all pass.

Just had another one when running windows update - it seems to happen pretty often when I run windows update.

This was a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe

I uploaded the mini and full dump here:
https://goo.gl/QcAlAH

Looked at one of these dump files using WinDbg; it points at: nvlddmkm.sys, which is an Nvidia driver by the look of it. A quick search on it returns everything from bad drivers to bad cards to bad cooling. Process of elimination, I'd try removing the drivers and the video card and run it on the onboard video for a while and see if the BSODs continue; as much as that sucks. I'd probably re-seat the memory while I was in there as well even though it passed the memtest for 3 hours; I've seen memory do all manner of weird poo poo that taking it out and putting it right back in fixes.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Looked at one of these dump files using WinDbg; it points at: nvlddmkm.sys, which is an Nvidia driver by the look of it. A quick search on it returns everything from bad drivers to bad cards to bad cooling. Process of elimination, I'd try removing the drivers and the video card and run it on the onboard video for a while and see if the BSODs continue; as much as that sucks. I'd probably re-seat the memory while I was in there as well even though it passed the memtest for 3 hours; I've seen memory do all manner of weird poo poo that taking it out and putting it right back in fixes.

Thanks Mo - I have already resat the RAM and the GPU.

I'll go ahead and do a driver uninstall, remove the card, and run onboard video.

The question then is if this works - what drivers do I use when I reinstall the card?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DaRealAce posted:

Sorry for my ignorance here - but did you suggest portable as you wanted me to boot off a USB and run a test or just so I didn't have to install anything?

No, it's just there's different versions that can be run from within the OS and the portable/zip one doesn't have ads or anything.

The HDs look okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DaRealAce posted:

Thanks Mo - I have already resat the RAM and the GPU.

I'll go ahead and do a driver uninstall, remove the card, and run onboard video.

The question then is if this works - what drivers do I use when I reinstall the card?

My first guess if it works without the card would be a potentially faulty card if other sets of drivers still don't work properly for you. Otherwise, I'd try the most recent drivers from the site generally.

• Locked thread