Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Rutibex posted:

people like firefly so much because it has lots of plot hooks and hints at better things to come. people can project whatever bullshit they imagine into the future of Firefly, and it will be inevitably better than whatever Weadon would have come up with

Firefly is a lot less impressive when you realize joss whedon got a lot of inspiration from outlaw star

the toad line isn't bad but when people did start to complain, his excuse was that halle berry didn't say the line right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Gaunab posted:

the toad line isn't bad but when people did start to complain, his excuse was that halle berry didn't say the line right

somebody needs to get mrs berry a list of whedon one-liners so she can soulessly intone each and every one of them

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Twelve Batmans posted:

Wasn't the destruction of the rainbow bridge supposed to be tragic because it meant Thor could never see Natalie Portman again?

It was tragic because Thor could not meet all his dead dogs that were waiting for him there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It was tragic because Thor could not meet all his dead dogs that were waiting for him there.

How does Thor get back and forth from Asgard these days? Loki mentions in The Avengers that it must have been expensive.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Rutibex posted:

people like firefly so much because it has lots of plot hooks and hints at better things to come. people can project whatever bullshit they imagine into the future of Firefly, and it will be inevitably better than whatever Weadon would have come up with

Sure, but it gave us "Serenity" which is one of the best movies ever made.

Haha, the entire thing is on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GiYfhaW_g

:boom:

Gaunab posted:

Firefly is a lot less impressive when you realize joss whedon got a lot of inspiration from outlaw star

Everything has inspiration from something else. That is how it works unless you have a mental illness.
A lot of sci fi is based upon western themes.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 25, 2015

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
never seen a lick of josh wheedon's stuff, but his fans are the worst. what's an example of his snarky dialogue so i can be more informed in my hate?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Horniest Manticore posted:

never seen a lick of josh wheedon's stuff, but his fans are the worst. what's an example of his snarky dialogue so i can be more informed in my hate?

ypure a really tough vapmire... NOT!!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Horniest Manticore posted:

You want to run this ship?

Yes.

Well- you can't-

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

How does Thor get back and forth from Asgard these days? Loki mentions in The Avengers that it must have been expensive.

They used some magic bullshit in Avengers 1.

In 2 they apparently fixed it b/c it's totally doing that wormhole pattern on the bridge.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Twelve Batmans posted:

Avengers 1 was a nice action flick where the impetus of the film was bringing together the characters from their respective movies to pool their energies against a bigger threat. The rock was big enough to roll down the hill on its own and so the characters could do *whatever* in the mean time while the audience acknowledges that -eventually- the movie will end with "good guys team up to beat bad guys". And that's fine. It distracted me from a lot of the Whedonisms that plague his films (although as I've gotten older, my cynical half has made them a lot less bearable) like Iron Man's retarded speech to Loki and literally crammed in one liners:

Some other dude: "Here comes the party"
Black Widow: "How is that a party?"

:thejoke:

Oh but I guess Whedon is so meta he's ultra-aware so it's still funny or whatever.

That said, I was confused and disappointed by Avengers 2. It has no natural incline towards it ending. The fucker rolled every where between characters and some of them were very inconsistent in terms of motivations and power-levels. Why can Quicksilver punch apart robots with ease but only runs by and slaps Black Widow and Hawkeye? I would have guessed it was because they didn't want to kill anyone, but they still killed the Baron? How does he get speed powers from the MIND gem?

Why is Thor taking such a dangerous bath (I KNOW why but holy gently caress did that come out of nowhere)? Wasn't the destruction of the rainbow bridge supposed to be tragic because it meant Thor could never see Natalie Portman again? Oh but wait *MAGIC* in Avengers 1 and now in Avengers 2 it's suddenly fixed like 2 years later. Don't get me wrong, not being able to see your loved ones for a few years sucks but even Tom Hanks spent more time away from his fiancee and all he had to talk to was a volleyball and at least when Thor gets back Natalie Portman isn't loving his dentist.

Why does Black Widow suddenly know Kali and wear bright neon lining on her clothing despite being a recon character? She looks like a pair of loving LA Lights sneakers. Why do I care that she has no uterus? Could they not find a way to bring more to her character other than pointing out things that physically make her less of a woman?

And Ultron - oh my god Ultron. That is a Disney villain if I ever saw one. I know he's supposed to have Iron Man's personality since he was built into a framework conceived by him but they probably shouldn't have done that in the first place. I can't take him seriously. He's a robot with lips and a snarky personality. Those two things do not make him intimidating. There are a million better ways to do a robot antagonist. Hal 9000, Dorothy from Galerians, Cybermen- the list goes on and on and on. But Ultron's whole character is the little dangly ages 6-11 lure on the big, bloated, ugly angler fish of a mess this whole plot became. He isn't scary or cool or even remotely intimidating. He even kidnaps Black Widow at one and then does jack poo poo with her. She exists just to have her rear end saved by the Hulk.

Also Jeremy Renner was whatever. I don't care about him. He's not even cool and he doesn't even come with a tragic dimension to his character other than the fact that his kids can't play their Xboxes online because they're constantly in hiding.

Vision was cool.

Anyway Avengers 2 is lukewarm piss and probably a herald of things to come in terms of any Disney movie directed by Joss Whedon. I'm glad I got to see it for free.

how loving retarded do you have to be to write a wall this huge of words whining about a comic book movie about supernatural heroes fighting a genius robot

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve Batmans posted:

Vision was cool.

you shut your drat mouth, Vision was the worst thing about that movie

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

normal people will go to a movie with friends and enjoy it maybe go out for drinks after and have some laughs

internet losers read comic books and write 1000+ word critical critiques of children's stories thinking anyone actually cares

Look, movies are cultural icons worthy of such hefty critique. All movies.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Pohl posted:

A lot of sci fi is based upon western themes.

Link to some evidence about this? I'm genuinely interested.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

You want to run this ship?

Yes.

Well- you can't-

dang dogg that's snarky

naem
May 29, 2011

Gatekeeper posted:

buffy owns you lousy suckn'gently caress

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I

redshirt posted:

Every woman did not get turned into a Slayer. Just every Potential.

So like maybe 300 women world wide?

I dig that the next season in Angel that actually becomes part of an episodes plot.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

redshirt posted:

Are you watching Buffy/Angel episodes in order?

yup, for the most part. i'm a little behind on the angel, its easy to just binge that buff. last angel i watched was either ken marino putting demon babies in cordelia or hawkeye being angel's old protege who he takes down criminal minds sperglord profiler style. the last buffy i watched was the faith two-parter. super good tv :)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Whedon has a seriously bad habit of loving things up and then blaming literally everybody around him but himself for it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed that more and more goons are turning into hipsters that must vocally hate anything that is popular or successful. I'm hardly any kind of fanboy for just about anybody, but you'd have to be blind to see the more the popular opinion rises of something the more GBS wants to say how poo poo it is.

It's not even "goons hate everything" because that's not true, they just hate things that are popular. Lots of threads loving Mad Max right now, but if they made a Mad Max 5, you'd see twice as many "That movie was pretty lame yall and everyone is stupid" threads instead.

gnarlyhotep posted:

have to agree with this

I liked Firefly a lot and I think 13 episodes and a movie that's basically a series finale is preferable to it having "the bad seasons."

If anything I've started liking shows with intentionally limited runs and small numbers of episodes anyway. Don't give them time to get lovely.

Pirate Jet posted:

Whedon has a seriously bad habit of loving things up and then blaming literally everybody around him but himself for it.

I'd be more annoyed with him for Resurrection if it weren't a doomed project from the very start. They got the wrong director for the job, they had Weaver with her lovely, lovely ideas for the franchise (they should have gotten rid of her by Alien 3) and the power to demand them, and there was so much "studio picture" that, really, are your going to fault the writer too much? It's hardly great writing and probably is a legit low point for him but I really can't land that whole mess on any group outside of the producers.

Honestly the whole movie would be way the gently caress better if Ripley wasn't in it at all

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 26, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah I unironically like his stuff but his attitude is definitely one of a dude who is in a bit of a bubble.

And his hardcore fans-- the ones who don't just like his stuff but use is as a substitute for a life--are insufferable though. The dude is funny but his one-liners in a vacuum aren't why.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

it's ironic that black widow's big character twist that pissed everyone off was that she couldn't have kids. her character was lovely and boring because she was pregnant as poo poo during filming and couldn't play a superhero.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
you can tell that joss whedon has been told his whole career that he is a paragon example of a male feminist because whenever anyone says otherwise he flips his poo poo and it makes me laugh

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
"Please like me. Please like me. Please like me." -- every loving whedon show/movie ever

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Pirate Jet posted:

tbh if you're casting a role of a guy who turns out to be a surprise weird bad guy don't cast brad dourif, that at least makes sense

however this is hilarious:

quote:

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Josh* Whedon

ronnie bren
Apr 18, 2014

joss whedon is a talentless hack (who used to be kinda decent i'll give him that), and i'm glad that he won't be doing much with the marvel universe anymore. he's a whiny piss baby who seems to have done nothing but complain since avengers 2 came out about how he didn't want daredevil to be a netflix series, how bucky was supposed to stay dead, that agents of shield isn't part of the marvel cinematic universe, etc.

his fans have been sucking his dick for so long that when they finally started to realize that maybe he wasn't some manner of god he threw a tantrum and blamed everyone else for everything that he touched turning to poo poo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

viking wolf corgi posted:

joss whedon is a talentless hack (who used to be kinda decent i'll give him that), and i'm glad that he won't be doing much with the marvel universe anymore. he's a whiny piss baby who seems to have done nothing but complain since avengers 2 came out about how he didn't want daredevil to be a netflix series, how bucky was supposed to stay dead, that agents of shield isn't part of the marvel cinematic universe, etc.

do you have a link for that?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

quote:

JW: Okay, which was also mine, and that's the interesting thing. Everybody remembers that as the worst line ever written, but the thing about that is, it was supposed to be delivered as completely offhand. [Adopts casual, bored tone.] "You know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning?" Then, after he gets electrocuted, "Ahhh, pretty much the same thing that happens to anything else." But Halle Berry said it like she was Desdemona. [Strident, ringing voice.] "The same thing that happens to everything eeelse!" That's the thing that makes you go crazy. At least "You're a dick" got delivered right. The worst thing about these things is that, when the actors say it wrong, it makes the writer look stupid. People assume that the line... I listened to half the dialogue in Alien 4, and I'm like, "That's idiotic," because of the way it was said. And nobody knows that. Nobody ever gets that. They say, "That was a stupid script," which is the worst pain in the world. I have a great long boring story about that, but I can tell you the very short version. In Alien 4, the director changed something so that it didn't make any sense. He wanted someone to go and get a gun and get killed by the alien, so I wrote that in and tried to make it work, but he directed it in a way that it made no sense whatsoever. And I was sitting there in the editing room, trying to come up with looplines to explain what's going on, to make the scene make sense, and I asked the director, "Can you just explain to me why he's doing this? Why is he going for this gun?" And the editor, who was French, turned to me and said, with a little leer on his face, [adopts gravelly, smarmy, French-accented voice] "Because eet's een the screept." And I actually went and dented the bathroom stall with my puddly little fist. I have never been angrier. But it's the classic, "When something goes wrong, you assume the writer's a dork." And that's painful.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
puddly little fist

my fave joss whedonism is him firing a lead actress and writing her off the show because she had the gall to get pregnant

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

quote:

i dont know who that is op, but i d ont like you posting

Mod logic, friend. Follow the rules, don't follow the rules. like it matters....

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Troposphere posted:

puddly little fist

my fave joss whedonism is him firing a lead actress and writing her off the show because she had the gall to get pregnant

Champion of Women's Rights

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pohl posted:

Sure, but it gave us "Serenity" which is one of the best movies ever made.

You are the perfect Whedon demographic.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

viking wolf corgi posted:

I love this because the person who wrote Daredevil and who was the executive producer was Drew Goddard. Who has worked with Whedon a lot. He was a writer on and director of Cabin in the Woods. Apparently he only claims responsibility for his successes.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

burritolingus posted:

Champion of Women's Rights

i'm pretty sure he invited her back telling her she was going to be a main character again and then immediately killed her character off without telling her out of spite

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Troposphere posted:

puddly little fist

What was he supposed to do?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

You are the perfect Whedon demographic.

It is a great movie. :monocle:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 26, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Uncle Wemus posted:

he and his legion of fans stain everything they touch with lovely characters, snarky dialogue and lame stories

weren't you the guy w/ the model train j/o ad avatar

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I finally saw Avengers 2 and it was pretty drat bad. Still fun with all the whacky effects. But it was real bad, haha.

The first one was great for what it was, but everything that it managed to make work in spite of itself went overboard and sucked tons of dick this time around. The snarky dialogue was atrocious and the attempts at drama and romance were super fuckin bad.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
Firefly is the only good thing he ever did. but it is a pretty drat good show so I think he is pretty cool on the whole because I can just ignore all his other awful poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joss Whedon is the god king of making overrated garbage.

• Locked thread