Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pohl posted:

What was he supposed to do?

write around it or attempt to hide it with warddrobe like every other show that has an actress get pregnant and not fire the actress suddenly and without warning and be a huge bitter baby about it maybe?

cordelia: oh no I am now pregnant with a vampire baby!!

there I fixed it, not hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

What was he supposed to do?

Write the character into the background while the actress is off being pregnant. Have her do cameo scenes from time to time. You can still shoot a couple scenes with a pregnant woman and make her not look pregnant. When she has the kid and is ready to come back, you bring the character back. This is how they did it in Married With Children when Katey Sagal got pregnant: Peggy went to her hometown for a while and would every once and a while call Al. Firing someone because they got pregnant is kind of messed up, especially for a guy claiming to totally care about women's rights.

They could also write in the pregnancy, but again, Katey Sagal shows why that would be a bad idea: if your actress miscarries, you've kind of shot yourself in the foot, although I'm sure the writers of Married With Children would have just dropped a "Peggy is pregnant" story line in that case and just never mention it again for the sake of the actress.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Venom Snake posted:

Joss Whedon is the god king of making overrated garbage.

At least it is watchable. Jesus, what do people expect from him? Someone else is going to make the next Godfather, he is making things people want to see.
I'm confused by this thread. Everyone watches his tv shows and films but you hate him??? loving lol.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pohl posted:

At least it is watchable. Jesus, what do people expect from him? Someone else is going to make the next Godfather, he is making things people want to see.
I'm confused by this thread. Everyone watches his tv shows and films but you hate him??? loving lol.

Someone already made the next Godfather, it was called Godfather II.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pohl posted:

Because people hear "he makes the best kind of genre stuff" and interpret that as "he makes the best kind of stuff." Some fans do mean the latter though.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Fluo posted:

Someone already made the next Godfather, it was called Godfather II.

:suicide:

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Joss Whedon has always made glib superficial pablum but it's ok if you're into that don't know where else this conversation can go. :confused:

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Junkfist posted:

Joss Whedon has always made glib superficial pablum but it's ok if you're into that don't know where else this conversation can go. :confused:
Does Joss Whedon know how to handle a horse proper? I bet he could break a bronco into a stable steed like hands into gloves. He'd look mighty nice donning a cowboy hat, too, since it would cover up... you know, whatever that is that's happening to his head.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Junkfist posted:

It is superficially fun. I guess we can hate him.

Or, I read on the internet about him being a feminist... like that loving matters. Or maybe he isn't because he was an rear end in a top hat on occasion.
Oh poo poo, he is a poser.

It is a goddamn movie. Like it or hate it. Are you not entertained!?

Seriously, :suicide:

Edit: and no op, he has made tv and movies better. We are in the golden age of tv right now. If you are over 30 you know how bad tv was. TV has been loving awesome recently. Goddamn tv sucked for a long time, I gotta say.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 26, 2015

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I sure see what people say about his fans though.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Pohl posted:

he has made tv and movies better.

but at what cost

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
the musical episode in buffy is very funny and good. Probably the only episode I'd rewatch at this point.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pohl posted:

It is superficially fun. I guess we can hate him.

you are insufferable and an idiot and i really wish you'd stop posting

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
"why are you making fun of this dude for being a bad writer and worse person? his stuff is SUPPOSED to be stupid trash, for people like me"

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

you are insufferable and an idiot and i really wish you'd stop posting

Nope.
Oh, gently caress off. lol.
wHatelr is cool in Gbs these dayyyyss.

Hater. :regd10:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Gatekeeper posted:

but at what cost

I don't know, better loving tv? Jesus, we are in the golden age of tv right now. What cost? The cost is hours wasted watching good tv over bad tv.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Pohl posted:

Jesus, we are in the golden age of tv right now.

lol

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I didn't know Josh Wei-dun made Angel, but I kinda liked that one.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

When has tv been better? I really want to know, because I must have missed it.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Pohl posted:

I don't know, better loving tv? Jesus, we are in the golden age of tv right now. What cost? The cost is hours wasted watching good tv over bad tv.

:smallbarf:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i'm in a good position i guess b/c i can just choose not to watch or read or play any of the stuff he's done or influenced. btu i guess it's just me, for some reason a lot of ppl seem to be living under some kind of oppressive nerd regime that forces them to watch every single lovely movie that comes out and then bitch about it on the internet

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Pohl posted:

When has tv been better? I really want to know, because I must have missed it.

what's so good about it right now? OMG MAG MEN BREAKING GAMES OF THE WIRE. there's also dancing with the stars and here comes honey boo boo and 16 and pregnant and and and

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i liked tv better up until the 90s when everything wasn't so grim and dark and deep and poo poo. i like self contained episodes, i like that i don't have to watch every episode to know whats happening and i like escapism as opposed to long drawn out interpersonal poo poo

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

i liked tv better up until the 90s when everything wasn't so grim and dark and deep and poo poo. i like self contained episodes, i like that i don't have to watch every episode to know whats happening and i like escapism as opposed to long drawn out interpersonal poo poo

MASH was great, but I really wonder what people think was great tv. Like what was a great series before the current crop? HBO was making good tv, now everyone is.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pohl posted:

MASH was great, but I really wonder what people think was great tv. Like what was a great series before the current crop? HBO was making good tv, now everyone is.

if we're not counting older HBO: outer limits, (old & new), twilight zone (old & new), x-files (especially the monster of the week episodes, the overaching plot that was somewhat like modern tv was the most boring part of the show), old simpsons, the adventures of brisco county jr, beavis & butthead, married with children, northern exposure (had modern elements but still p. self contained episodes), millennium, etc.

i guess the technical quality of tv shows has increased overall and more money and effort is put into them.

what's the name of that 90s show that happened in a small town in texas and had a demonic sheriff and some kid or something? can't remember

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Astonishing X-men owned.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pohl posted:

do you legiterally think that there was no good tv before breaking bad

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
breaking bad could have been a good show if they had condensed it into one or two seasons. talking about loving filler

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

what's the name of that 90s show that happened in a small town in texas and had a demonic sheriff and some kid or something? can't remember

Did they really like Tabasco?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

do you legiterally think that there was no good tv before breaking bad

I have never mentioned Breaking Bad.
Tv sucked in general for a long time. Yes, there was good tv, but not like now. Seriously, you could probably name a dozen shows that stood out in history, and now tv is providing a phenomenal amount of good shows. Just lol if you think tv sucks now.

Dyna Soar posted:

if we're not counting older HBO: outer limits, (old & new), twilight zone (old & new), x-files (especially the monster of the week episodes, the overaching plot that was somewhat like modern tv was the most boring part of the show), old simpsons, the adventures of brisco county jr, beavis & butthead, married with children, northern exposure (had modern elements but still p. self contained episodes), millennium, etc.

i guess the technical quality of tv shows has increased overall and more money and effort is put into them.

Outer limits is loving old as hell and lost it's viewers. It was awesome, and I still watch it. Same with twilight zone.
X-files was cool for awhile but then it hosed up and took itself too seriously.
Simpsons is a cartoon. I watch those for comedy and to pass the time. I appreciate them, but they aren't something I dedicate my time to. The same applies to King of the Hill. Great cartoon that I watched, but not something I would include on the list of great tv series.

beavis and butthead was dumb and reactionary poo poo. Hehehehheheeh.
Married with children was boring.
Northern Exposure was great for a few seasons before it fell apart.

I skipped the shows I didn't watch.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
both outer limits & twilight zone had remakes in the 80s - 90s that were really good. not quite as good as the old ones, but very good.

and yeah, i know a lot of those shows had weaker moments, but its the same with modern shows as well. when you stretch a show to multiple, sometimes even 10 or more seasons it's bound to get weaker at some point. maybe oz and sopranos didn't, but 99% of tv shows do.

thats why true detective is a breath of fresh air. self contained story that was more or less defined before they started filming. the brits do that, and their tv shows are usually really good.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Pohl posted:

I would be convinced you were that weirdo Buffy fan that cornered me in a club once if I wasn't also convinced you've never left your house

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

joss whedon is truly the worst, its true

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Juice Wheat-ton is a poopy butthead

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
i watched 13 episodes and a movie of Firefly to conclusively say that show is garbage and its fans are morons. i liked Wash though; too bad he died.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Pohl posted:

lol

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Pohl posted:

I have never mentioned Breaking Bad.
Tv sucked in general for a long time. Yes, there was good tv, but not like now. Seriously, you could probably name a dozen shows that stood out in history, and now tv is providing a phenomenal amount of good shows. Just lol if you think tv sucks now.

Outer limits is loving old as hell and lost it's viewers. It was awesome, and I still watch it. Same with twilight zone.
X-files was cool for awhile but then it hosed up and took itself too seriously.
Simpsons is a cartoon. I watch those for comedy and to pass the time. I appreciate them, but they aren't something I dedicate my time to. The same applies to King of the Hill. Great cartoon that I watched, but not something I would include on the list of great tv series.

beavis and butthead was dumb and reactionary poo poo. Hehehehheheeh.
Married with children was boring.
Northern Exposure was great for a few seasons before it fell apart.

I skipped the shows I didn't watch.

ahahahahahaha I'm up to my ears in bingo stamps here

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the best bit is how you watch inferior TV (the simpsons lol) to 'pass the time'. What are you doing when you're watching Breaking Bad? Studying poo poo? lmao

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

all you have to do now is have a bunch of characters who are neither good or bad (wow) constant music prattling away in the background to tell you what emotion you should be feeling, apply a bit of gloss, output it in HD and suddenly everything made before it is now worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'll have you know I did my masters thesis on Avengers and *shits self*

• Locked thread