Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
i know a girl who did her master's thesis on The Wire and i laugh everytime i hear her talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
joss whedon more like JOSH WEINER

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Firefly bad, avengers bad, avengers 2 passable, angel good except for season 3+4 (season 5 hella good)

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Pohl posted:

Yes, there was good tv, but not like now. Seriously, you could probably name a dozen shows that stood out in history, and now tv is providing a phenomenal amount of good shows. Just lol if you think tv sucks now.
name three good shows that are currently on the air

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
I agree with the insufferable dude, the 2000s have had some pretty good television.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the 100 is the best tv show on right now, it's really good

too bad it's on a poo poo network

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pohl posted:

I'm confused by this thread. Everyone watches his tv shows and films but you hate him??? loving lol.

Goons are literally trying to be early 2000s hipsters anymore.

Dyna Soar posted:

i guess the technical quality of tv shows has increased overall and more money and effort is put into them.

Actually the main reason TV got better is people have started to care much less about Syndication.

If a TV show is allowed to have 6-13 episodes per season it means they don't have to include a ton of "filler" eps that do nothing but eat time. In the old days, everything had to be 22-26 episodes and that, right there, is 99% of the reason old TV feels watered down. It was.

Every single show on the "Oh my God, look at this example of why TV is better" list is like that. And everyone will agree Walking Dead's quality dropped like a rock when they well more than doubled the episodes.

I'm Crap posted:

Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
Not sure if it counts as "on air" but Daredevil owns too

Dyna Soar posted:

breaking bad could have been a good show if they had condensed it into one or two seasons. talking about loving filler

Either you are kind of dumb, or are are trying to be edgy. I'm going with the latter. See my earlier "Goons are hipsters" comment.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 26, 2015

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Dyna Soar posted:

what's the name of that 90s show that happened in a small town in texas and had a demonic sheriff and some kid or something? can't remember

american gothic! mfing gary cole was the devil sheriff.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I'm Crap posted:

better call saul
the americans
game of thrones
true detective
the new girl
modern family
selfie was way better than its insufferable title and premise let on, but it got canceled
the daily show

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Hell On Wheels

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

OMGVBFLOL posted:

better call saul
the americans
game of thrones
true detective
the new girl
modern family
selfie was way better than its insufferable title and premise let on, but it got canceled
the daily show

He said name three.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
netflix's original series have been pretty good so far too

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

better call saul
the americans
game of thrones
true detective
the new girl
modern family
the daily show
okay so that's basically a lot worse than what was on offer in 1999, long before the so-called golden age. back then you had good simpsons, x-files, good futurama, sopranos was just starting, homicide, buffy, farscape, oz, st:ds9 etc.

edit: if there ever was a golden age it was in about 2005 when you had the wire, the sopranos, rome and deadwood all on at the same time

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 26, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
look buffy and farscape are cute little weirdo shows but lets not put them on the same level as true detective or im going to be really upset

really upset!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm Crap posted:

okay so that's basically a lot worse than what was on offer in 1999, long before the so-called golden age. back then you had good simpsons, x-files, good futurama, sopranos was just starting, homicide, buffy, farscape, oz, st:ds9 etc.

You forget that pretty early in Simpsons, X-Files, Futurama all started to fade.

Homicide was just another evolution of the cop show that runs rampant today. I find it hilarious Buffy is on the list in this thread. Oz & Sopranos were legit good and kind of prototypes for modern TV.

Farscape was a cult show that's kind of being rediscovered if anything, and was highly serialized (again like modern TV) which hurt it at the time. DS9 is kind of in the same boat because around the same time you had all that noise about the shittastic Voyager despite the fact DS9 is probably the best Trek series and it never entered pop culture the same way.

So really outside of your animated series references almost all of this stuff was effectively the first wave of the modern era of TV

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
The only time tv was good was from 1985-1987 during the first 3 seasons of Miami Vice, everything else is stupid uncool trash

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Much to cable companies eternal torment we owe most of these changes to streaming, it changed television a lot.

I still remember around 2000 getting into a huge argument with an idiot who insisted the idea of streaming media was "100 years off."

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Sell me on "The Americans" and "Hell on Wheels".

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

You forget that pretty early in Simpsons, X-Files, Futurama all started to fade.

Homicide was just another evolution of the cop show that runs rampant today. I find it hilarious Buffy is on the list in this thread. Oz & Sopranos were legit good and kind of prototypes for modern TV.

Farscape was a cult show that's kind of being rediscovered if anything, and was highly serialized (again like modern TV) which hurt it at the time. DS9 is kind of in the same boat because around the same time you had all that noise about the shittastic Voyager despite the fact DS9 is probably the best Trek series and it never entered pop culture the same way.

So really outside of your animated series references almost all of this stuff was effectively the first wave of the modern era of TV
sure, whatever. i'm just saying it was probably better then than it is now, you just didn't have 290000 worthless "thinkpieces" produced each week about how blessed we are to be living in an age of artistic treasures like loving walking dead, sons of anarchy and dexter, so people didn't appreciate it.

pretty soft girl posted:

The only time tv was good was from 1985-1987 during the first 3 seasons of Miami Vice, everything else is stupid uncool trash
see this guy gets it

edit:

Blazing Ownager posted:

Much to cable companies eternal torment we owe most of these changes to streaming, it changed television a lot.
see, like... no. a lot of the really REALLY good stuff, the stuff that would justify talk of golden ages and that seems likely to endure (wire, sopranos etc.) already debuted ten or fifteen years ago, way before the rise of streaming services.

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 26, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Joss Whedon is an awful writer. Much Ado About Nothing had some of the worst dialog I've ever heard in a movie. Worse than Juno.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Either you are kind of dumb, or are are trying to be edgy. I'm going with the latter. See my earlier "Goons are hipsters" comment.

come on, i'm dumb just because i don't like the same tv show as you? it's neither, i just found most of it really boring. everything involving jesse for example and most of walt's home stuff. i watched maybe half or 2/3rds of the episodes and most of them just bored me.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 26, 2015

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I'm Crap posted:

see this guy gets it

Modern tv owes far more to Michael Mann being truly innovative and excellent in the medium for three years than it ever would to Joss Whedon writing over a decade of barfy snark dialog but ~90s kids~ would never sink so low as to watch something that probably shows up on TV Land now

Anything that's actually good thats been mentioned in this thread (aside from a handful of things, ie. The simpsons) pretty much draws its roots back to Miami vice in one way or another

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

TEAYCHES posted:

firefly was a good television series and im glad it was cancelled before it got bad

I agree with this entirely. But another season would've been nice.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

seriously though the americans is the best spy fiction in tv or film in recent memory. it's like early clancy; far-fetched and speculative but not implausible

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

The only thing by Joss Whedon I've ever seen was cabin in the woods which so many people told me "oh man it totally breaks down and deconstructs horror movies, it's so clever and brilliant" and then I watched it and it might as well have had all the insight and wit of scary movie 6 or whatever

I can only assume the rest of Whedon's catalog is also him screeching "DO YOU GET IT?? PRETTY CLEVER RIGHT" through the actors

ronnie bren
Apr 18, 2014

Gaunab posted:

do you have a link for that?

"Joss Whedon Wanted ‘Daredevil’ To Be A Movie Instead of a Netflix Show" http://screenrant.com/daredevil-movie-netflix-ratings-joss-whedon/
"Q&A: Joss Whedon on Super Heroes, the Pop Culture Mainstream" http://mentalfloss.com/uk/movies/28527/qa-joss-whedon-on-super-heroes-the-pop-culture-mainstream (here he references how Bucky was supposed to die, and how he wanted Coulson to stay dead)
"Joss Whedon: Agents of S.H.I.E.LD. ISN'T in the MCU" http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/04/24/joss-whedon-agents-of-s-h-i-e-ld-isn-t-in-the-mcu-2882938

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Well I for one am shocked, shocked that the man who writes with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face didn't write a trauma victim with enough care and sensitivity!

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
you faggots all loving suck eat poo poo and die

why arent you all listening to my radio show on 86.3 FM (in a 3 mile radius of my house)

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pretty soft girl posted:

hell yeah.

first TV show I remember watching, my parents watched it religiously. ONLY 80S KIDS WILL REMEMBER THIS.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pretty soft girl posted:

Anything that's actually good thats been mentioned in this thread (aside from a handful of things, ie. The simpsons) pretty much draws its roots back to Miami vice in one way or another

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I'm guessing that miami vice is popular now with this 80s resurgence we're having, so the millennials in this thread should have no qualms about watching it. so go do that instead of jacking it over game of thrones (lol), you'll have to put up with SD resolution but I believe in you!!!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

opus111 posted:

I'm guessing that miami vice is popular now with this 80s resurgence we're having, so the millennials in this thread should have no qualms about watching it. so go do that instead of jacking it over game of thrones (lol), you'll have to put up with SD resolution but I believe in you!!!

I actually got really, really really into it when I was 23 and I'm 28 now so yeah it's millennial approved

If you have even the slightest ability to figure out historical context and trendsetting you'll begin to realize that there's a very sharp divide between the presentation of tv shows pre-1984 and post-1984 and it has everything to do with Miami Vice

Granted I think a lot of this will be lost on the same sort of people that think Seinfeld is the same as every other sitcom because every sitcom after it was so heavily influenced by it

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 26, 2015

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

PICTURED: A BUNCH OF DUDES THAT ARE WAY loving COOLER THAN GRUFFBEARD AXESLASH OR DWARFMAN PISTACHIO. RIP LAURA BRANIGAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9SWf3YosG0

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
poo poo seemed just as different after twin peaks to me :shrug:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pretty soft girl posted:

I actually got really, really really into it when I was 23 and I'm 28 now so yeah it's millennial approved

If you have even the slightest ability to figure out historical context and trendsetting you'll begin to realize that there's a very sharp divide between the presentation of tv shows pre-1984 and post-1984 and it has everything to do with Miami Vice

Granted I think a lot of this will be lost on the same sort of people that think Seinfeld is the same as every other sitcom because every sitcom after it was so heavily influenced by it

i feel this way about Friends. It's not great now but people who say its cliched don't get that it invented those cliches, even though it stayed in a traditional sitcom framework. anyway, thats my thoughts about friends. people should respect it more imo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pretty soft girl posted:

The only thing by Joss Whedon I've ever seen was cabin in the woods which so many people told me "oh man it totally breaks down and deconstructs horror movies, it's so clever and brilliant" and then I watched it and it might as well have had all the insight and wit of scary movie 6 or whatever

I can only assume the rest of Whedon's catalog is also him screeching "DO YOU GET IT?? PRETTY CLEVER RIGHT" through the actors

This is why I hate Whedon fans. I don't think he's brilliant, I think he's fun. When I watch his poo poo like Cabin in the Woods I have a really fun time, but I don't think I'm watching some epic takedown of horror. I think I'm watching a horror fan having a fun wank and joining in on the good times. It's fun to watch an obvious commentary about how we hammer interesting human beings into stock archetypes that suffer for our amusement. It's really fun to watch a giant parade of monsters all doing their thing at the exact same time. Bradley Whitford is a goddamn national treasure. Why does it have to be more or less than that?

I'm Crap posted:

sure, whatever. i'm just saying it was probably better then than it is now, you just didn't have 290000 worthless "thinkpieces" produced each week about how blessed we are to be living in an age of artistic treasures like loving walking dead, sons of anarchy and dexter, so people didn't appreciate it.

P. much. While there was internet circlejerking on media websites as far back as the mid-90s at least the amount of circlejerked and regurgitated content wanking off every cable show with decent visuals and half a cast's worth of decent actors is goddamn HUGE these days. It might not seem like as much of an industry but go to like any Barnes and Noble and just look at the merchandising empires that are being built on the backs of this crap. That's not a bad thing, but it does definitely create a narrative that really good television didn't exist prior to The Sopranos because every generation of young people needs to believe they were born on the cusp of greatness. Speaking of which go rewatch The Sopranos-- the amount of focus on Gen-X fuckboy Chris is annoying but for a show that largely isn't talked about anymore despite being so revolutionary it still holds up.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still remember around 2000 getting into a huge argument with an idiot who insisted the idea of streaming media was "100 years off."

That dude was an idiot but to be completely fair prior to like 2004-2006 (the arrival of YouTube hit like a motherfucking sledgehammer and changed everything almost overnight) internet video was p. rare and a pain in the goddamn rear end. I can see how someone who didn't realize how fast the tech was actually progressing would come to the conclusion that streaming media would never be worth the trouble.

opus111 posted:

people who say its cliched don't get that it invented those cliches

This is the genuine curse of the innovator. It's probably why SA is seen as such a relic and internet backwater these days even though so much sprang forth from its septic waters.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Gatekeeper posted:

poo poo seemed just as different after twin peaks to me :shrug:

This is true. People who worked on Twin Peaks went on to work on Northern Exposure who employed David Chase who went onto Sopranos. Sopranos hired Matthew Weiner = Mad Men.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
No TV show of consequence has been made since All in the Family.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

This is true. People who worked on Twin Peaks went on to work on Northern Exposure who employed David Chase who went onto Sopranos. Sopranos hired Matthew Weiner = Mad Men.

checks out :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i always get northern exposure mixed up with north of 60, which is the better show, Tom Jackson :canada:

• Locked thread