Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

"Whedonverse"

i had a housemate who would use this word unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

wid posted:

For Whedon to ruin TV, TVs must be good back then but TVs in the 90s were mostly poo poo. Sorry OP.

fail.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

'Seinfeld, ER, Frasier, Father Ted, Bottom, Friends, Star Trek TNG & DS9, X-Files, The Larry Sanders Show, The Simpsons were mostly poo poo' - a human being millennial brought up on Lost and Community.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

'I don't watch anything thats SD, 4:3 or with a laugh track' - same total human being as above.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Pohl posted:

I don't know, better loving tv? Jesus, we are in the golden age of tv right now. What cost? The cost is hours wasted watching good tv over bad tv.

lol

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Pohl posted:

I have never mentioned Breaking Bad.
Tv sucked in general for a long time. Yes, there was good tv, but not like now. Seriously, you could probably name a dozen shows that stood out in history, and now tv is providing a phenomenal amount of good shows. Just lol if you think tv sucks now.

Outer limits is loving old as hell and lost it's viewers. It was awesome, and I still watch it. Same with twilight zone.
X-files was cool for awhile but then it hosed up and took itself too seriously.
Simpsons is a cartoon. I watch those for comedy and to pass the time. I appreciate them, but they aren't something I dedicate my time to. The same applies to King of the Hill. Great cartoon that I watched, but not something I would include on the list of great tv series.

beavis and butthead was dumb and reactionary poo poo. Hehehehheheeh.
Married with children was boring.
Northern Exposure was great for a few seasons before it fell apart.

I skipped the shows I didn't watch.

ahahahahahaha I'm up to my ears in bingo stamps here

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the best bit is how you watch inferior TV (the simpsons lol) to 'pass the time'. What are you doing when you're watching Breaking Bad? Studying poo poo? lmao

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

all you have to do now is have a bunch of characters who are neither good or bad (wow) constant music prattling away in the background to tell you what emotion you should be feeling, apply a bit of gloss, output it in HD and suddenly everything made before it is now worthless.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pretty soft girl posted:

The only time tv was good was from 1985-1987 during the first 3 seasons of Miami Vice, everything else is stupid uncool trash

hell yeah.

first TV show I remember watching, my parents watched it religiously. ONLY 80S KIDS WILL REMEMBER THIS.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pretty soft girl posted:

Anything that's actually good thats been mentioned in this thread (aside from a handful of things, ie. The simpsons) pretty much draws its roots back to Miami vice in one way or another

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I'm guessing that miami vice is popular now with this 80s resurgence we're having, so the millennials in this thread should have no qualms about watching it. so go do that instead of jacking it over game of thrones (lol), you'll have to put up with SD resolution but I believe in you!!!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pretty soft girl posted:

I actually got really, really really into it when I was 23 and I'm 28 now so yeah it's millennial approved

If you have even the slightest ability to figure out historical context and trendsetting you'll begin to realize that there's a very sharp divide between the presentation of tv shows pre-1984 and post-1984 and it has everything to do with Miami Vice

Granted I think a lot of this will be lost on the same sort of people that think Seinfeld is the same as every other sitcom because every sitcom after it was so heavily influenced by it

i feel this way about Friends. It's not great now but people who say its cliched don't get that it invented those cliches, even though it stayed in a traditional sitcom framework. anyway, thats my thoughts about friends. people should respect it more imo.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

when did the word 'content' become a catch-all for a billion different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i never knew how insanely bad the opinions of gbs were until now.

• Locked thread