Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
u are better off just buying something made by Bud or Miller rather than wasting your time, energy, and money on something that will likely taste like acorns and way too many hops anyway. A nice Miller Lite goes with everything - a steak or a rainy day. A Budweiser celebrates your uncle's birthday just as well as an organic milk stout made from the teets of cows fed only the grass of Wrigley Field. I'd say a Sam Adams is about as bougie as you need to get, and that's only when the boss throws some OT your way or when your muni is out of your favorite Mickey's grenades.

Stop putting your hope in the wrong places and just crack open a cold High Life. #iamrich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
putting ur hopps in the wrong place lol

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
the problem is Ive abused alcohol for so long I need at least 9% abv to even feel a buzz otherwise I gotta down a 30 rack and that's just too much work.

I ain't loving with that steel reserve poo poo, so it's double ipas and imperials for me. nothing tastes better than feeling fuzzy off some brews

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

What are you Melville?

Condensed this turd .ibkeg

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you have the palette of a high school kid and you are also broke like one then yeah OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Actually for like a few bucks more you can buy 9% beer that's basically like two Buds or Millers so it literally is also more cost effective.

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

Actually for like a few bucks more you can buy 9% beer that's basically like two Buds or Millers so it literally is also more cost effective.

I don't need to get my .08 on every time I drink.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Geek USSR posted:

why even bother drinking then

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Geek USSR posted:

So then why not buy something that tastes better? poo poo makes literally no sense.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Lufiron posted:

the problem is Ive abused alcohol for so long I need at least 9% abv to even feel a buzz otherwise I gotta down a 30 rack and that's just too much work.

I ain't loving with that steel reserve poo poo, so it's double ipas and imperials for me. nothing tastes better than feeling fuzzy off some brews

They have this thing called liquor now. It's pretty new, I don't know if you've heard about it yet.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also it's super easy to just ignore the 5000 IPAs and then get like a Hell or High Watermelon which is a perfectly delicious beer with a flavor that any loving retard could recognize immediately.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

IMO this is the same as retards that complain about wine snobs but that's just because they're afraid of looking like faggots in front of people in the liquor store.
I've worked in the industry for like 8 years so you really just do look like a total retard.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fireball is for women. there i said it

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol if you waste your money on beer instead of downing vodka from the bottle

just lol

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet

XMNN posted:

just lol

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

IMO this is the same as retards that complain about wine snobs but that's just because they're afraid of looking like faggots in front of people in the liquor store.
I've worked in the industry for like 8 years so you really just do look like a total retard.

lol that you're this upset about this thread

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

alcohol lmfao. don't spend hundreds of bucks on a night out in clubs just buy one pill for like 20 dollars and you're set. hth :)

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
There are good microbrews, which you will like and all your friends will tell you are disgusting, but it takes thousands of dollars and a year of weekends to find even a dozen of these. And in the mean time you're going to swallow loads of gutrot and reek like bilious snot so good luck trying to salvage a bad drinking night by chatting up the unshaven puss puss at the local drive.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Monday_ posted:

They have this thing called liquor now. It's pretty new, I don't know if you've heard about it yet.

well yeah, but note I said buzz and note what I said about alcohol abuse problems because

XMNN posted:

just lol

is something i used to do a lot of and when chilled roosky standard touches my lips the only outcome is blackout

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Geek USSR posted:

You have poo poo taste, and your propaganda will not stand.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

and at last after years of probing the goons had finally found jebanypedal's trigger

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
beer is good. some beer is more good. some is expensive, some isn't. drink whats in your price range. there is beer for everyone. stop being a snobby beer drinker.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

As a brewer the OP is wrong and doesnt understand how money works

70% 6row pale malt
30% rice
Some cheap bittering hops
60min boil, lager yeast 4%

Vs say

76.9% maris otter
7.7% malted oat
7.5% flaked oats/barley
4.6% carafa III
3.3% caraaroma
90minute, 30minute and 5 minute hop additions 28ibu 4.8% ale yeast

One is an easy drinking cheap beer / lawnmower

The other is a full bodied velvet twisted stout

Typing on phone but you get the idea

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Also op they dont add milk to milk stouts, they add the sugar from milk, Lactose

Fluo
May 25, 2007

XMNN posted:

just lol

krampster2 posted:

alcohol lmfao. don't spend hundreds of bucks on a night out in clubs just buy one pill for like 20 dollars and you're set. hth :)

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Fluo posted:

Typing on phone but you get the idea

not really, what are you saying about beer?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Geek USSR posted:

Ooooooh poo poo, you totally got him

Fluo
May 25, 2007

krampster2 posted:

not really, what are you saying about beer?

Your miller lite and your buds are super cheap to produce, the 30% rice really helps out too, it adds 0 flavour but adds fermentable in the mash witb theb6row pale malt, the insane scale they work on aswell helps make them save money aswell as they can just buy 2 mash ingredients on bulk

Where as a microbrewery is much smaller, most popular size in UK is 5barrel (681.37 litres) is the average size but there are many different sizes.

Microbreweries tend to not produce only 1 beer style aswell, so you have a pale ale, an ipa, best bitter, porter and stout, those are 5 basic styles breweries start off producing then expand out of that but you different types of grains you'd need for those basic five can range from 6 to 15 depending on how well managed the recipes are and if its pure business or if they want to produce the best. And this is just malt let alone the other ingredients

Then when you get into conditioning space, keg cask or bottle, number of fermenters, turn over of beer / production, beer loss wastage and so on

tldr: bud is cheap because they cut it with rice and have such a huge upscale, a proper pilsner lager is more expensive for example because they use 100% pils malt and with a noble hop first addition and small late addition of saaz hops which is low AA(tends to be 2%-4% AA)

Ill try explain it better when im not half asleep and at my computer

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 25, 2015

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like beer

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Fluo posted:

Your miller lite and your buds are super cheap to produce, the 30% rice really helps out too, it adds 0 flavour but adds fermentable in the mash witb theb6row pale malt, the insane scale they work on aswell helps make them save money aswell as they can just buy 2 mash ingredients on bulk

Where as a microbrewery is much smaller, most popular size in UK is 5barrel (681.37 litres) is the average size but there are many different sizes.

Microbreweries tend to not produce only 1 beer style aswell, so you have a pale ale, an ipa, best bitter, porter and stout, those are 5 basic styles breweries start off producing then expand out of that but you different types of grains you'd need for those basic five can range from 6 to 15 depending on how well managed the recipes are and if its pure business or if they want to produce the best. And this is just malt let alone the other ingredients

Then when you get into conditioning space, keg cask or bottle, number of fermenters, turn over of beer / production, beer loss wastage and so on

tldr: bud is cheap because they cut it with rice and have such a huge upscale, a proper pilsner lager is more expensive for example because they use 100% pils malt and with a noble hop first addition and small late addition of saaz hops which is low AA(tends to be 2%-4% AA)

How expensive is a beginner's kit for brewing? I'd mainly be interested in either really dark stuff or wheat beer like Hoegaarden.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Fluo posted:

but i thought you could get a beginner's kit from target for like 50 bucks and it's real cheap you just need to buy those bags of whatever and put it in the keg thing and it makes beer magically. i dunno sounds cheaper than buying beer to me

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gotta be honest: I've drunk a lot of beer and went through, esp micros, and my go-to beer is now Corona Extra/ Light

Sometimes it comes with a g straw hat that I can wear while I garden/ mow the lawn while I drink Corona Extra/ Light to refresh myself

Fluo
May 25, 2007

midnightclimax posted:

How expensive is a beginner's kit for brewing? I'd mainly be interested in either really dark stuff or wheat beer like Hoegaarden.

We talking extract (+ speciality malt) or allgrain (mash tun or brew in a bag). Extract + speciality is easier and cheaper short term but not long term and not as much control. But generally unless you want allgrain mashtun way with fly sparge or batch sparging its not that expensive. Say you want to do 5uk gallon (22.73 litre batches) around £40 id say, thats extract + speciality grains. When you go up youd need more equipment and such like wort chillers and such. Your first few batches should be extract speciality anyway and dont worry if you just want to stick with that. It just needs 1 right size pot and a fermenter if 5 uk gallon look for a 7.5gallon pot but it depends how you chill it

Anyway I highly recommend first buying The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian, its got everything a beginner novice and intermediate needs to know and enjoyable read too!

edit: also big recommend check out the homebrew thread OP in goobs with spoons, its an ace write up

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 25, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

krampster2 posted:

but i thought you could get a beginner's kit from target for like 50 bucks and it's real cheap you just need to buy those bags of whatever and put it in the keg thing and it makes beer magically. i dunno sounds cheaper than buying beer to me

Homebrewing is cheap, the bag stuff is extract im talking allgrain :) (extract is actually more expensive long term then allgrain just allgrain equipment can be expensive)

Anyway its because you cut out middle men and dont have to pay beer duty and such on it, also if youre american you cut even more middle men, the place you bought the beer, the wholeseller and the brewer

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 25, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

Get a Mr Beer, it's pretty decent if you get the right kind (I used their Cowboy Lager to make a light Grapefruit thing)

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Let me be the first to take the thread unironically and name drop a bunch of poo poo like a complete cocksore.

Oh, too late.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Fluo posted:

Homebrewing is cheap, the bag stuff is extract im talking allgrain :) (extract is actually more expensive long term then allgrain just allgrain equipment can be expensive)

Anyway its because you cut out middle men and dont have to pay beer duty and such on it, also if youre american you cut even more middle men, the place you bought the beer, the wholeseller and the brewer

oh okay thanks :) in australia though we mostly drink mentholated spirits and mouthwash it doesn't really get cheaper than that tbh

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Verily I Shat posted:

Let me be the first to take the thread unironically and name drop a bunch of poo poo like a complete cocksore.

Oh, too late.

you're gonna be one of those poopy posters who always hates on things aren't you :(

Fluo
May 25, 2007

krampster2 posted:

oh okay thanks :) in australia though we mostly drink mentholated spirits and mouthwash it doesn't really get cheaper than that tbh

Brew in the bag is really popular in Australia I hear also because of water waste on normal wort chillers they transfer the hot wort into plastic rectangular fermenting boxes, then after 3 days when it gets down to the right temp transfered off the trub into a feemenying bucket or carboy and yeast added and away you go!

Price wise i can produce 50litres of 4% abv best bitter for roughly £38, but extract would be more expensive abit but not much and less equipment

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Yes but how else am I supposed to feel superior at a bar with friends that are just trying to have a good time?

• Locked thread