Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp
A strange object has been discovered near Area 51 using Google Earth.

What looks like a huge 70 foot tall 30 foot wide structure in the middle of nowhere is only a few miles from the place that supposedly hold the crashed UFO from Roswell, New Mexico in 1947.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF7EU3sETnE

MisterMachine fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp
The United States Air Force facility commonly known as Area 51 is a remote detachment of Edwards Air Force Base, within the Nevada Test and Training Range. According to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the correct names for the facility are Homey Airport (ICAO: KXTA) and Groom Lake,[2][3] though the name Area 51 was used in a CIA document from the Vietnam War.[4] Other names used for the facility include Dreamland,[5] and nicknames Paradise Ranch,[6] Home Base and Watertown.[7] The Special use airspace around the field is referred to as a Restricted Area 4808 North (R-4808N).[8]

The base's current primary purpose is publicly unknown; however, based on historical evidence, it most likely supports development and testing of experimental aircraft and weapons systems.[9] The intense secrecy surrounding the base has made it the frequent subject of conspiracy theories and a central component to unidentified flying object (UFO) folklore.[10][11] Although the base has never been declared a secret base, all research and occurrings in Area 51 are Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI).[10] In July 2013, following a FOIA request filed in 2005, the CIA publicly acknowledged the existence of the base for the first time, declassifying documents detailing the history and purpose of Area 51.[12]

Area 51 is located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States, 83 miles (134 km) north-northwest of Las Vegas. Situated at its center, on the southern shore of Groom Lake, is a large military airfield. The site was acquired by the United States Air Force in 1955, primarily for the testing of the Lockheed U-2 aircraft.[12] The area around Area 51, including the small town of Rachel on the aptly named "Extraterrestrial Highway", is a popular tourist destination.

The original rectangular base of 6 by 10 miles (9.7 by 16.1 km) is now part of the so-called "Groom box", a rectangular area measuring 23 by 25 miles (37 by 40 km), of restricted airspace. The area is connected to the internal Nevada Test Site (NTS) road network, with paved roads leading south to Mercury and west to Yucca Flat. Leading northeast from the lake, the wide and well-maintained Groom Lake Road runs through a pass in the Jumbled Hills. The road formerly led to mines in the Groom basin, but has been improved since their closure. Its winding course runs past a security checkpoint, but the restricted area around the base extends further east. After leaving the restricted area, Groom Lake Road descends eastward to the floor of the Tikaboo Valley, passing the dirt-road entrances to several small ranches, before converging with State Route 375, the "Extraterrestrial Highway",[13] south of Rachel.

Area 51 shares a border with the Yucca Flat region of the Nevada Test Site, the location of 739 of the 928 nuclear tests conducted by the United States Department of Energy at NTS.[14][15][16] The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository is 44 miles (71 km) southwest of Groom Lake.

The Groom Lake test facility was established by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) for Project Aquatone, the development of the Lockheed U-2 strategic reconnaissance aircraft in April 1955.

As part of the project, the director, Richard M. Bissell, Jr., understood that, given the extreme secrecy enveloping the project, the flight test and pilot training programs could not be conducted at Edwards Air Force Base or Lockheed's Palmdale facility. A search for a suitable testing site for the U-2 was conducted under the same extreme security as the rest of the project.[23]

He notified Lockheed, who sent an inspection team out to Groom Lake. According to Lockheed's U-2 designer Kelly Johnson:[23]

... We flew over it and within thirty seconds, you knew that was the place ... it was right by a dry lake. Man alive, we looked at that lake, and we all looked at each other. It was another Edwards, so we wheeled around, landed on that lake, taxied up to one end of it. It was a perfect natural landing field ... as smooth as a billiard table without anything being done to it". Johnson used a compass to lay out the direction of the first runway. The place was called "Groom Lake".

The lakebed made an ideal strip from which they could test aircraft, and the Emigrant Valley's mountain ranges and the NTS perimeter, about 100 miles north of Las Vegas, protected the test site from visitors.[24] The CIA asked the AEC to acquire the land, designated "Area 51" on the map, and add it to the Nevada Test Site.[25]:56–57

Johnson named the area "Paradise Ranch" to encourage workers to move to a place that the CIA's official history of the U-2 project would later describe as "the new facility in the middle of nowhere"; the name became shortened to "the Ranch".[25]:57 On 4 May 1955, a survey team arrived at Groom Lake and laid out a 5,000-foot (1,500 m), north-south runway on the southwest corner of the lakebed and designated a site for a base support facility. "The Ranch", also known as Site II, initially consisted of little more than a few shelters, workshops and trailer homes in which to house its small team.[24] In a little over three months, the base consisted of a single, paved runway, three hangars, a control tower, and rudimentary accommodations for test personnel. The base's few amenities included a movie theatre and volleyball court. Additionally, there was a mess hall, several water wells, and fuel storage tanks. By July 1955, CIA, Air Force, and Lockheed personnel began arriving. The Ranch received its first U-2 delivery on 24 July 1955 from Burbank on a C-124 Globemaster II cargo plane, accompanied by Lockheed technicians on a Douglas DC-3.[24] Regular Military Air Transport Service flights were set up between Area 51 and Lockheed's Burbank, California offices. To preserve secrecy, personnel flew to Nevada on Monday mornings and returned to California on Friday evenings.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
If you come from a different planet then yes, this is an alien tower near area 51

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

Bitter Mushroom posted:

If you come from a different planet then yes, this is an alien tower near area 51

Bwa hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You're the bees knees. Tits my friend...tits.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
First they come in the bronze age to teach us how to stack rocks. Then they return in 2015 to teach us how to build cel towers. I can't wait until 25 years from now when they unveil the wonders of the Nintendo Power Glove.

Aug 4, 2010

the truth is out there

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

Frankenstyle posted:

First they come in the bronze age to teach us how to stack rocks. Then they return in 2015 to teach us how to build cel towers. I can't wait until 25 years from now when they unveil the wonders of the Nintendo Power Glove.

Rob the robot shall be our savior. He shall then be crucified on a giant gyromite.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

it's just a stack of retired aurora prototypes

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

Wall Balls posted:

it's just a stack of retired aurora prototypes

Google Earth says it's a building. Check it out for yourself. Exact location in the video.

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
i dunno why nobody reallly seriously talk about ufos anymore. i miss those old days when the x-file used to be the poo poo

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

tvayisnihyaami posted:

i dunno why nobody reallly seriously talk about ufos anymore. i miss those old days when the x-file used to be the poo poo

There's still a lot of discussion between scammers who want to sell books and the gullible retards that pay their mortgage.

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

tvayisnihyaami posted:

I think I love you. :)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Nobody fuckin cares about aliens anymore. They could land on the white house lawn and have a full gay alien orgy with the unmasked lizardman muslim president obama and it'd be back to business as usual within a month.
Were too narcissistic to give a gently caress about any of this alien nonsense

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
it really makes you think

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

For years—long before it was acquired by Dell, even—Alienware has made its desktops as distinctive in how they looked as how they performed. Its bleeding-edge systems have often been the technological embodiments of the company's name, complete with fins, curvy panels and doors, the distinctive alien-head logo, and prices usually about high enough to finance a round-trip ticket to Jupiter.

If the latest, completely revamped edition of the company's flagship Area-51 gaming desktop is surprisingly conservative in one sense—no fins or swoopy cutouts, and practically subdued case lighting—it's downright radical in its overall shape. And under the hood, this PC is Alienware through and through. It's also, though far from cheap at $4,499, a competitor to boutique gaming rigs costing a grand or three more.

What you'll notice first about the Area-51 R2 is that it almost entirely abandons the square boxiness that even boundary-pushing systems—including many of Alienware's—have long embraced. The bottom sections of the company's new "triad" chassis' front and rear panels protrude considerably more than the top parts do, with the panels' long, sloping side edges defining a distinctive shape that, when viewed from the side, looks like a plump triangle. (Okay, the short panels or lopped-off points between the other three sides mean it's actually more hexagonal, but the contrast is stark enough that the overall impression is triangular.)

Though the case runs a bit deeper than a standard full-size tower (the dimensions are about 22.4 by 10.7 by 25.2 inches, HWD), Alienware took great pains to point out to us that you won't necessarily need more space to stash the computer—that the design ensures adequate airflow and cabling space with the system pushed back against a wall. The angle of the rear panel and the bottom-mounted power supply (for plugging in the power cable) mean that none of the cables will require the two or three inches of additional space between the system and the wall that most large-scale desktops do.

Pop open the case (two latches at the top rear let you remove the left- and right-side panels) and you'll discover that the interior of the Area-51 has been given no less consideration. Two intake fans (one mounted on the top front panel angled downward, one on the bottom front panel angled upward) aim their air at the CPU/memory area and the graphics cards. The wiring is impeccably tied, arranged, and routed to help maximize both neatness and airflow. Pull off the other side panel, and you'll discover bays for housing up to five drives (three 3.5-inch, two 2.5-inch).

As is traditional for Alienware, there's a complex lighting scheme that's divided into nine separate areas (three lights on each of the side panels, two running down either side of the front panel, and the backlit, alien-head-shaped power button), which can be controlled individually or collectively. (More on this in a minute.)

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
its my dick

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

tvayisnihyaami posted:

The only aliens I'm worried about are the kind that eat tacos and drink tequila.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BigBoss posted:

The only aliens I'm worried about are the kind that eat tacos and drink tequila.

sammy hagar?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

tvayisnihyaami posted:

Because HD cameras are everywhere and its really hard to fake poo poo.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i call it "bio station alpha"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Alien 1: guys consumer digital camera resolutions are super good now so we gotta keep our game tight

Alien 2: oh werd?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
aliens thirst for human buttholes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, maybe schizophrenia goes untreated less often these days?

^^^edit: apparently aliens and i have something in common.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I think it's neat that different cultures have different UFO experiences. I heard in the 70's British people were getting abducted by orange furred guys who smelled vaguely of cinnamon and were just there to espouse galactic peace or something.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Yep. In Mexico, instead of tracking implants abductees claim they get silver condoms full of space heroin stuffed up their butts.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I saw a UFO at night once, don't know what it was, bunch of lights and poo poo didn't look like a helicopter or airplane. Not saying it was aliens but didn't know what it was in any case. Anyway, this is my UFO story thank you for reading

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kuato posted:

I saw a UFO at night once, don't know what it was, bunch of lights and poo poo didn't look like a helicopter or airplane. Not saying it was aliens but didn't know what it was in any case. Anyway, this is my UFO story thank you for reading

Someone once asked me if I believed in UFOs and I said "I believe there are flying objects that haven't been identified."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm gay

for dana scully

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Someone once asked me if I believed in UFOs and I said "I believe there are flying objects that haven't been identified."

wow you're a riot

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Parallax Scroll posted:

wow you're a riot

I bet alien stand up comedy is pretty weird.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Jose posted:

i'm gay

for dana scully

I'm really confused because the not attractive girl from Mad Men looks a lot like Scully when she's in that Top of the Lake show. If they want a real paranormal mystery to investigate, the ancient alien guys should figure out why I suddenly want to gently caress Peggy.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
just skipping around that video made my IQ drop. "when views from street level it disappears..." :laffo:

its a loving antenna

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

just skipping around that video made my IQ drop. "when views from street level it disappears..." :laffo:

its a loving antenna

An alien antenna?

Also, it doesn't disappear, it folds... geeesh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Didn't that book a while ago come out and, using a bunch of interviews with people who are dead now, basically prove that all Area 51 ever was or ever will be is a skunk works place for Lockheed and other military contractors to test out new airplanes?

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!

TheJoker138 posted:

Didn't that book a while ago come out and, using a bunch of interviews with people who are dead now, basically prove that all Area 51 ever was or ever will be is a skunk works place for Lockheed and other military contractors to test out new airplanes?

Well that was clearly just misdirection and all the aircraft testing was just to cover up what was REALLY going on.

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

fyodor posted:

sammy hagar?

"Standing on top...of the world."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
We must construct additional pylons.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

lordoftheT posted:

Well that was clearly just misdirection and all the aircraft testing was just to cover up what was REALLY going on.

hosed up if FALSE

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

VideoTapir posted:

We must construct additional pylons.

Just watch out for the Sleestaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
looks like a flag to me... a false flag