Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

:siren:Recruitment is closed, this is now an OOC thread!:siren:

The world didn't end.

It's ending. Present-loving-tense.

It's a little loving arrogant to say that the world is over when millions of humans all cling to the last lovely remnants of food and water left on the burnt earth. You can go on like an rear end in a top hat about how it used to be better, how everything was green and wet and beautiful, but there's no going back. Even if everyone had enough food and water and guzzoline and medicine and you managed to magically convince people to stop being assholes to each other, we still lost a billion people. That's a billion with a B. Where did they all go? Why does the sky burn? Who killed the world? Why doesn't anyone remember?

The worst part is this: no one seems to give a poo poo. Here you've got the Jesus freaks going on about how we earned this hell and over there you've got the junkies chasing their eden and all over town there are a hundred morons trying to screw someone, anyone out of a buck as if money can buy anything but misery. Everyone is so caught up in today that they're not thinking about tomorrow. Tomorrow is coming motherfuckers, and sooner than you think. Some day the last woman will fall to her knees on the cracked ground and a final whisper will slip past her parched lips: "why?" That's all folks, good night to the human race.

Maybe it's better somewhere else. Maybe it can be better here. Maybe we're all just hosed. Someone has to give a poo poo, though. If not you, who?

Okay assholes, you know the drill: Apocalypse World. If you don't know what's going on here, get your rear end up to speed. Newbies welcome. Questions encouraged. LE playbooks are tentatively allowed if you've got an awesome character and aren't just in it for the gimmick. Shared backgrounds are OK but that's no guarantee that everyone who shares a background is getting in. Bonus points for breaking the mold of retread apocalyptic poo poo. Go gonzo as gently caress. When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

You can't be wrong unless you're boring.

Fuckin' love this photo.

What do you wish you could keep under lock and key? What was your name before you became Keymaster? Who still calls you by that name?

Ryuujin posted:

Name: Gorgameth

Wanna know more about Gorgameth.

If someone was far away, or had burnt-up eyes, what would they mistake Gorgameth for? Who captured you, and how did you find freedom again? Do you still have a keeper?

What thing does Sclera miss being able to see? How does fear make you excited? Who can you never take vengeance on?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Skinner Vec

I can do a full character sheet tomorrow if I'm in.

No-one's in yet.

Where does Vec get his ink? Where did he learn to do this, and why doesn't he tell anyone that? Who wants a cover-up, and why won't he do it?

Who keeps escaping the Teacher's grasp? What do you teach about the Apocalypse? What do you keep from your town that you won't part with?

Who is the voice - does it have a name, is it someone you knew, how does it treat you? Where's your blind spot, and how do you avoid it? What gun do you miss most from the years back?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

What is Clover's shameful vice? Do you take debate on needs and wants or are you a fanatic about it? When did you really gently caress it up and how do you live with yourself after that?

neonchameleon posted:

Is a Macaluso too weird to app? I'm thinking a small cabal that knows things are going wrong and are trying to fix them. Working together but none able to do enough on their own, and all having twists from the Maelstrom.

Too weird? Nah. Go ahead and write it up. Tracking a bunch of cabal members will be easier in PbP, so long as you're willing to put in that kind of effort.

-

I've been promised characters from Methane, Zorak of Michigan, Bellophon, Green Intern, QuantumNinja, and maybe Evil Mastermind. You (and anyone else who is interested) have until Wednesday night, maybe Thursday morning before I start picking and choosing. Don't gently caress around on me, get something in!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Bellophon posted:

Updated my post to include my Driver character sheet.

You're leeching the photo of your ride. Upload it to imgur.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Bellophon posted:

Ford, the Driver

What do you say to people who laugh because you're named Ford, but your ride carries the Mark of Chevrolet? When one of your rear doors got blown off, what did you replace it with? Where the gently caress did you get that rust bucket?

Having an assistant is something, how did Valentin end up with two? Where do you hide your infirmary, and from whom? Who died to drive you into becoming an angel?

Green Intern posted:

ROADSIDE, the Faceless

Fuckin' hell, how does someone get a man like Roadside to fight for them? Who did you show mercy on, and why? Tell me a lie about how you found Jersey.

What were the Knots before they were the Knots? Where does Mask keep returning to, even though she doesn't know why? Who deserves no mercy, no matter what?

How hard is it to leave your suit, and when was the last time you did? Why are you so afraid of leaving it behind? When you're alone, what do you try not to think about?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm totally down for a Hardholder, so long as you're okay with managing a Hold. By that, I don't mean beancounting and mechanics; I mean fighting to keep what's yours while the wrong choices could mean dozens of people die in battle or starve to death when the wilting plague takes half the mutacorn crop. If you play your cards right, you can build a nice place (or a place that's your kind of terrible) and change your little part of the world. If that sounds awesome, saddle up.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Might do a Touchstone, though I'm looking at Hardholder or a Driver possibly. I'll try to dodge any other apps but we're running out of playbooks.

I wouldn't be too worried about playbook overlap; if for some reason I really, really like two Drivers we'll have two loving Drivers.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I threw together the channel #gonzo on synirc so that people can get in touch in real-time. Deadline for submissions is tonight.

Bonus questions: Why did you come to this hold? Where are you staying while inside? What has you off-balance, paranoid, or otherwise nervous? Fill in the blank parts of the map and show me what's up with your character right now.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

neonchameleon posted:

The Cabal - Macaluso

Who was the last person that Gams killed in cold blood? How did Bismark earn his free passage? Why aren't Cass and Jinte speaking at the moment?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

What is Drift's weak spot - that is, where does she feel compelled to show mercy? What gear are you fixing up your car for next? What gives you those cold-sweat nightmares?

This is last call for character sheets. I'll start reviewing and crossing off names in an hour or two.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

What does Parson keep telling Lin that you know isn't true? Who is your right-hand man (or woman), and why do you know you can absolutely trust them? How is it that are you a Colonel?

Applications unofficially closed. Decisions incoming.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Okay, you fuckers. This was intensely agonizing and I seriously stared at an index card with your characters' names on it for a solid hour. gently caress you guys for making such awesome characters. The best kind of problem, really.

Here's the loving deal: it's Keymaster, Grim, Mask, Roadside, Gatito, Drift, & Colonel Lin.

Do your HX thing and then highlight stats. I have the game OP ready whenever you assholes are.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The List of People, Places, and Things So Far

A-Town is the big poo poo place around here. I've decided it's ruled over by The Parson. Duke works for The Parson. A-Town has a bar called Tinner's. Looks like a lot of you are starting in A-Town.

Way to the south is Wal-Ar which is run by Duke Ripsaw. There are a bunch of nasty sewers nearby. Wal-Ar and A-Town have an ongoing cold war, each one funding gangs in the fight for the Hi-Octane that's located near the Old Mountains in the East. Gangs like the Jacks, Hi-Tops, Stones, and occasionally the Knots. There's a bar in Wal-Ar called Pip's

Southwest of Wal-Ar there's a hosed up place called Hecate. Everything that gives you nightmares lives there. As if that weren't enough, a group of cannibal monsters called the Misers roam around nearby. gently caress that place.

Northwest of A-Town are the Saltcaps which are run by the Tarots, but the Saltriggers have been encroaching on their territory of late after getting kicked out of the flats by the Noonriders.

Far to the west is the Kiln, a great expanse of wasteland. No one comes out of the Kiln. On the edge of the Kiln is an old, abandoned gas station.

In the run between Wal-Ar and A-Town, there's Kon-Peki and U-Store. Hud Trench is a shithole. Colonel Lin runs the tent-town Mercy. The Hi-Tops usually stay in their territory between the Republic of Dave and Reek Town. The whole place is run over with Dire Coyotes (Di-Yotes).

Of course there are a bunch of other gangs: Meat Machines, Wardolls, Barnard's Boys, and the dumbass Burning Cult.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 28, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Captain Foo posted:

Mercy may be a tent-town, but doesn't it at least have a bunch of hi-tech and batteries because of the solar farm and all?

That's Rock's call ultimately, but I love the idea of a bunch of tents sitting in the shadow of an ancient field of photovoltaics.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Let's loving do this. The music is mandatory.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mister Bates posted:

We still have to do highlights (both the MC highlights and finishing up the player highlights; Mask has my player highlight).

I figure you guys can handle things being a little out of order.

MC highlights:
Roadside: Hard.
Drift: Cool
Colonel Lin: Hot
Keymaster: Sharp
Gatito: Weird
Grim: Weird

Please post who needs to highlight you!

Zurui fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 29, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Just as a note, my build basically never uses cool ever.

poo poo, I missed that. Highlight Sharp.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I know it's weird and nitpicky, but could you guys just link to your sheets in this thread instead of posting them on the first page? Then I can click your header for your sheet in this thread and you can keep that updated.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

One of the things that takes a minute to get about Seize By Force is that you can seize intangibles: victory, an escape, you honor, etc. Just a few posts ago, Drift got in a fistfight and used Seize By Force to take control of the situation and humiliate her opponent - by punching Dex in the face.

Immediately prior to that, Mask had used Go Aggro on Dex to threaten violence: do what I want (fight fair with Drift) or I'll loving shoot you. She rolled a 10+ so I was faced with a choice: does Dex want to drop her gun or does she want to risk death? I chose the first one, but the second would have involved harm.

One of the things that's really different in AW is that you can just trade harm. No roll, just you do your harm to them and they do it back to you. That's a lot of what the Harm move is for, to add some drama to trading harm.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

No worries. None of us caught it! Good on, Doodmons.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Captain Foo posted:

i'm looking forward to the inevitable return to a-town

You should take it as a great compliment that I had to review the rulebook to determine if I could even deal harm past Gatito's armor with a loving rocket launcher.

(The answer is yes, if you count an RPG as 4-harm and it's being fired as part of a small gang.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I am a sad MC because your video is busted.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Foo, I am not usually a stickler for position, but the Destroyer is still a hundred yards or so away. That means that it action can happen, but Mask and the Knots get a chance to act first.

Figured you're okay with that, just wanted to say so. You can always revise it if things go up in flames, literally or otherwise.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Captain Foo posted:

Not going to be able to make significant changes so let's just roll with whatever causes the most fire

Standard procedure, got it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mister Bates posted:

My last post had a successful Opening Your Brain roll that didn't get responded to in any way; the scene has moved on so it isn't really relevant anymore, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Apologies, that update was a bit hashed together. I'll make it up to you!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Oh and: the Meat Machines are well-armed and mobile, but they are little better than animals. (3-harm gang small savage mobile 1-armor)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, I'm deliberately writing to an end-of-session break in the next update. So long as the Keymaster is willing to pay 1-barter to have a doc try to save Freeway, we're in. MisterBates, you can just narrate that out if you like (or we can hash out something else).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Rockopolis posted:

If I take the raiding improvement to the hold, and then butcher the raiders later, can I trade that improvement for the bustling marketplace one later, to represent, well, wiping out the raiders and building up the hold?

Okay, let's break down how this works:

Your raiding improvement doesn't really represent your hiring of the gangs - you can do that without spending experience. What the raiding improvement guarantees is that they cut you in for a piece of it, likely in return for you funding or supplying them (surplus: +1barter). It also means that someone will know that you're behind it and might try to hit you back for it (want: +reprisals). You can spend your advance on the marketplace if you don't want those mechanical effects!

Also, you can gain HX on anyone. It can be that you heard about their exploits, or that you have more experience with people like them, or that you're interested in meeting them - anything that can justify your relating to them on a closer level. You're going to be more involved with the PCs in the future, so no worries :)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That 2-barter is total, not per person. Raiding convoys has not been terribly lucrative for you. You'll have to work out who it "belongs" to.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dunno. Giving him until the morning, then we'll reorient things.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mister Bates posted:

Did we lose Colonel Lin's player? I was going to wait on him to post but it's been a while.

I've edited my original post to reflect you waiting for Lin, not him being there. History can be rewritten.

Edit: All minor harm (before 9:00) heals over the time skip. That includes the harm to the Knots.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 19, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

When a Yield Sign and Road Cone love each other very much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Rockopolis posted:

Sorry, work's been eating up my energy lately, but now that it's the eeekend, I'm going to be sick. :smith:

We can work you in later if you like, but for now I'm just going to move the game forward. Message me when you're feeling up to regular posting again. :)

• Locked thread