Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO
This poll is closed.
John Cena 42 15.73%
BELIEVE IT OR NOT 2 0.75%
I'M WALKING ON AIR 4 1.50%
I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD FEEL SO FREE EE EE 5 1.87%
FLYIN AWAY ON A WING AND A PRAYER 7 2.62%
WHO COULD IT BE 16 5.99%
BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT'S JUST ME 29 10.86%
BBQ Pitmasters, the tna killer. 162 60.67%
Total: 267 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The GIG posted:

I was more meaning him having matches every week with a bunch of midcarders who aren't doing poo poo. If all of them were squashes while commentary shits on them while calling them giant loser nerd fuckheads for daring to be in the same country as the invincible John Cena, then it would be a burial of the midcard. But the most that's really happened is that Cena beats the man because he is very strong, and that's okay because the champion should be very strong and be able to handle lesser men. That's not a burial. Hell, loving ZACK RYDER came out wih the stars of a TV show, had a match where he hit his spots, and only lost because he was so desperate to win that he pulled out a top rope move that was actually treated as high risk and missed and instead of saying "LOOK AT THE LOSER DOING TOP ROPE MOVES LIKE AN IDIOT MAGGLE" they played up that Ryder wanted it so bad he was willing to hit a high risk move to put Cena down, and people are still calling it a burial. Nobody knows what that word means anymore at this point.

And despite all this, the odds are they'll go back to doing nothing with Ryder on Raw, also known as "the show that matters", until they need someone to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Please post recaps in the op I don't have time to look them up.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Owens will lose, but he will look strong in defeat :)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Little Mac posted:

jesus christ at least link a recap

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wwe+raw+results

that was so hard

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

It is hard with a screaming baby to do much of anything let alone Google raw results and flip through a million click bait sites.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Preemptive tl;dr: Below I explain my optimism/why I'm enjoying what WWE has done lately in hopefully a more logical, reasoned manner rather than telling people they don't know how to have fun. It started out a shorter post but I found myself enjoying dissecting my viewpoint and analyzing stuff so it got really long, sorry. Feel free to ignore.

"Wooooahhhh they're trading and kicking out of finishers!" is actually a standard hype sequence in literally any wrestling match in any promotion anywhere, where it fails and succeeds is the buildup to that point and of late the US Open Challenge has been doing a really good job of that. Cena hasn't been annihilating anyone. ZACK loving RYDER got near falls on Cena. Who hasn't had a singles match on Raw since, IIRC, actually getting annihilated by Rusev. The Open Challenge matches have basically all been competitive except probably the Stardust one and if you're arguing otherwise then you're doing the opposite of me and wearing poo poo-colored glasses just because it involves Cena which is silly just like anyone is totally fair in thinking I'm being silly if they choose to. Also every PPV for months and months has had at least one 4*+ or near 4* match and very few outright stinkers so in terms of in ring match quality WWE isn't NJPWing it up or anything and is inferior to ROH and PWG as well, but the ring work is genuinely solid from mostly top to bottom. I can name at least one match from every PPV for at least 6 months back that I'd consider great, but I'm not gonna bother other than to say if you could watch the tag title match from Payback and not think it was at least flirting with great then I don't understand you. And that was basically just a pure old-school tag match unlike say the Payback main which I also thought was great, but I can at least acknowledge that relied a lot more on big spots, smoke and mirrors, etc. The WWE's problem has for a long-rear end time been primarily with booking. The problems with WWE's booking include:

1. They ignore fans.
2. They don't make new stars.
3. The belts don't mean poo poo especially not the midcard ones.
4. They overly script every drat thing and dear God a lot of the writing is atrocious.
5. Tag division doesn't mean poo poo.
6. WWE doesn't utilize guys properly/undercard feuds are non-existent.

They've been acknowledging these problems by doing the following:

1. Roman is not in the main event anymore (despite his actually being really loving over and a fair bit of the backlash having died down). Ambrose is in the top program with Seth Rollins.
2. See #1, but also add Neville who's been treated like a really big deal (seriously he had the US Title won from Cena clean as a loving sheet and Rusev ran in), Sami Zayn (if you don't think his battle with Cena didn't make him look good [also commentary put a dude over for once]), Kevin Owens (see Zayn) then again, you're blinded. The top heel is Seth Rollins. The top faces are Ambrose and Reigns. All of those guys are 30-ish, which means assuming they don't Bryan themselves they're in for the long haul.
3. Cena is putting over the US Title like crazy. As people have said, whoever wins the US Title finally, holy poo poo it's actually going to matter. I believe they planned to have Bryan do the same for the IC Title but obviously that had to be scrapped. And say what you will about the participants but the fact that they're having a loving Elimination Chamber match for the vacant title is...kind of a big deal by itself.
4. Still a massive issue, granted. Really bad.
5. I know we joke about "TAG DIVISION'S GOOD AGAIN GUYS" but really it's...pretty good. New Day and Kiddsaro have been stealing shows, Lucha Dragons are fun as gently caress, Harper and Rowan are reunited (sidenote they should be in the Chamber, what the gently caress WWE seriously, get rid of Los Matadores or The Ascension in there), the Usos aren't around but if they were I'd imagine they'd be doing fun stuff too....also the tag title Chamber makes the Tag Titles seem like an actual prize for the first time in forever.
6. Still a problem. Not gonna deny that. #5 has helped though, with guys like New Day and Kiddsaro being floundering, possibly wasted talents now featured in a prominent (for midcard) fashion which is a step up.

This is a metric fuckton of words, and I'm not trying to say anybody is wrong in the sense that if anybody isn't enjoying WWE that's cool, but I genuinely am confused how anyone can say there haven;t been major steps up in the product, especially vis a vis Cena and Reigns shifting down while somebody like Ambrose shifts up. And no, I'm not angry about any of this, I just like writing words about wrestling sometimes and am trying to explain/dissect my optimism in a more detailed way rather than just telling people they are fun haters or whatever. I apologize if this is a useless post, I was just in the mood to write some Words About Wrestling.

Oh and I agree Cena talks way too drat much before the matches. Quit that poo poo please.

yet the product is still dogshit. makes u think

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I feel like Cena has been doing the best promo work of his career since becoming US champ.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Kevin Owens is poopy

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

So Elimination Chamber is going to be a full PPV card? Did they just decide to change a house show to a PPV to do this or what. Crowd could be really marky if true

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

bradzilla posted:

So Elimination Chamber is going to be a full PPV card? Did they just decide to change a house show to a PPV to do this or what. Crowd could be really marky if true

yes they did

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Its in Corpus Christi TX so it'll be marky as gently caress anyway

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

St Evan Echoes posted:

Its in Corpus Christi TX so it'll be marky as gently caress anyway

I thought that Corpus Christi crowds were the drizzling shits, though?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

I thought that Corpus Christi crowds were the drizzling shits, though?
I remember them cheering Roman Reigns shortly after the Rumble this year, at the very height of the backlash against him, which is my justification for calling them marky.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I think my only issue with the Ambrose segment was there were too many bits talking about him not coming back by the end of the show.

1. Dean's arrested he's not coming back.
2. Dean's like mega arrested, and there's no way he's going to come back. Seriously.
3. Honest to god, Ambrose isn't coming back, so don't get your hopes up.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I thought certain bits of Raw were alright but the writing and booking are such horseshit I don't really care for anyone on the roster right now. Elimination Chamber will be awesome in a vacuum but the funny thing is that there is so much good talent right now there is honestly no excuse for not producing gold every week. All I'm seeing these days are midcarders trading wins week in, week out for the prize of the month which will mean gently caress all for their careers (King of the Ring, IC Title etc), anything relating to the goddamn Authority which sucks up about an hour of TV time with shenanigans that usually culminates in Trips/Steph getting the upper hand when it's all said and done that leaves me so dissatisfied I wonder what the hell was the point of watching in the first place and JOHN CENA which while I think the US open invitational stuff is awesome, everyone here has to know that when Cena leaves the US title picture the belt will go back to not being defended and become an afterthought after they put it on some poor sap that's never going to be in the main event picture while the commentators drone on about how it 'makes careers' and whatnot. I'm not saying Raw is poo poo but ebb and flow of Raw just makes certain things grind my gears and not care.

I think that's why I love whenever Brock shows up. They throw out all the rules with him and it leads to some of the most memorable stuff I've seen in years.. If they booked most of the talent with a fraction of the effort they do with Brock it would be a golden age.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
You're very right. I mean, if you look at the Attitude Era, Vince didn't really come out on top that often. But when he did, Vince's over the top rage made it entertaining.

The Authority rarely lose, and they rarely lose their cool.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wish they were doing the special EC thing not-on-a-Sunday. I want to watch it and am pretty excited about it overall despite not watching WWE in months, but I'm not gonna choose it over HBO's lineup. I feel like it might make it a little more special and have it stand out more if it wasn't happening on a Sunday like every other PPV/big show.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Paulocaust posted:

yet the product is still dogshit. makes u think

then
now
forever

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Anime Curator posted:

and that grabs the attention of Bray

Don't joke

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I really like that Cena beating Zack "Mr. 450" Ryder was the final straw for people to really bitch about him

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I'm just really bored with what they're doing with Lana. Just having her serve as a justification for a feud between Zigler and Rusev just seems so lazy. Not to mention that creative can't come up with other angles for women than using their sexuality as a "weapon".

I'd have liked to see Lana more as a mastermind character. Have her enter into an alliance with Steph and contract wrestler after wrestler to beat the poo poo out of Rusev until he begs for forgiveness or some silly "i quit" type of a deal. Granted it doesn't give her that much agency but it would be better than the crap they're showeling now.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Meadowhill posted:

I'm just really bored with what they're doing with Lana. Just having her serve as a justification for a feud between Zigler and Rusev just seems so lazy. Not to mention that creative can't come up with other angles for women than using their sexuality as a "weapon".

I'd have liked to see Lana more as a mastermind character. Have her enter into an alliance with Steph and contract wrestler after wrestler to beat the poo poo out of Rusev until he begs for forgiveness or some silly "i quit" type of a deal. Granted it doesn't give her that much agency but it would be better than the crap they're showeling now.

It hasn't been perfect, but at least they had Lana stand up to Rusev. I was afraid this storyline was going to be handled much, much worse.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'm not a fan of splitting them up, but both Lana and Rusev are selling the hell out of the material they have to work with so it's not that bad for what it is. I don't give a gently caress about Dolph's part in the story though, and look forward to Rusev killing the poo poo out of him repeatedly

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I hope Ziggler gets fed up with Lana using him to piss off Rusev because it would actually give Lana some material to work with. That her motivation was more I want to piss you off so look at me kiss this rear end in a top hat American, rather than generic Dolph is a cutie storyline number 503.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This

Rusev posted:

...Three magical words...

Audience member posted:

NEW DAY SUCKS!!!

was very good

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Zack Ryder wrestled a real match for the first time since 2009

Thank You John

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 26, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

I hope Ziggler gets fed up with Lana using him to piss off Rusev because it would actually give Lana some material to work with. That her motivation was more I want to piss you off so look at me kiss this rear end in a top hat American, rather than generic Dolph is a cutie storyline number 503.

Well apparently on Smackdown Ziggler said he's cool with Lana using him to piss off Rusev, so they tied up that little storyline already.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
For the "OMG Cena is burying the midcard!" crowd: You should just go play TEW because obviously you enjoy pretending you're a booker more than you like watching wrestling.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
Because Elimination Chamber is a Network-exclusive show, they're going to want to do something major on the show to demonstrate to fans that you need to have the network because you just can't miss this stuff. Does that mean Dean is going to win the belt from Seth? It's possible. But the more likely answer is that Owens will destroy Cena. The fact that it's not even a title match should tell everyone that Owens is going over, and suddenly not only do you need to have the Network so you don't miss exclusive shows like Elimination Chamber, but you need it to watch Kevin Owens -- a guy who will likely be wrestling exclusively on the Network for the next year and already has enough feuds lined up to easily last him through the next 12 months.

Occasionally using Raw to build up KO matches on the Network is a much more tantalizing draw to the service than whatever original programming they're producing, and it's a smart way to make a guy into a big deal well before he's a permanent fixture on the main roster.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They'll probably just use one of Brock's dates and have him kill Seth and/or Dean postmatch, if the match even has an ending

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

HulkaMatt posted:

I'm really glad he didn't give Zack Ryder a back and forth 10 minute match because that would have been ridiculous. He let Ryder hit his big moves but that was about it.
I was really glad Zack didn't kick out of the AA. It seemed silly when Stardust did. Finishers gotta mean something.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
I have a feeling it's going to be some sort of major Triple H led Kevin Owens and nXt invasion style cross promotion. Like a holy gently caress trigger pulled script flipping moment.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Chris James 2 posted:

They'll probably just use one of Brock's dates and have him kill Seth and/or Dean postmatch, if the match even has an ending

This. Dean is going to be winning until Brock wrecks everyone's poo poo.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Normally, I would think Owens has no chance, but the US Title not being on the line makes me think he's got a shot at winning.

Also, given that this is Network only and they seem to want to make sure subs roll over into June 1 at Midnight, I'm guessing the show runs long since there's no PPV providers to worry about.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Except you could cancel your subscription right now and still be good through the end of the month.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

GrimGypsy posted:

Imagine, if you will, a US champ who is a somewhat new, young star making a name for themselves by defending their title against all comers. This is a very silly idea, I know.

Imagine, if you will, the world's largest star of wrestling actively defending what was previously a more of a prop than a belt. This brings prestige and legitimacy to the belt. When, and yes it's a matter of when, some young new star beats Cena it will seem more important.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Everything about this post is coincidentally also tryhard crap IMO.

Your RAW post summed it up best - people all up in arms expecting Dean to be used like the next Stone Cold, then when WWE actually pulls the trigger and does what they want, it's all "what a bunch of rehashed crap a bloo bloo this is dumb"

Make up your goddamn minds you bunch of bipolar idiots. Also RAW was pretty fun overall other than the typical Authority half-hour promos that should've been replaced with matches.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Optimist with doubt posted:

Imagine, if you will, the world's largest star of wrestling actively defending what was previously a more of a prop than a belt. This brings prestige and legitimacy to the belt. When, and yes it's a matter of when, some young new star beats Cena it will seem more important.

This is true but then I remember the Tag Titles in 2010 and get sad.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Ozz81 posted:

Your RAW post summed it up best - people all up in arms expecting Dean to be used like the next Stone Cold, then when WWE actually pulls the trigger and does what they want, it's all "what a bunch of rehashed crap a bloo bloo this is dumb"

Make up your goddamn minds you bunch of bipolar idiots. Also RAW was pretty fun overall other than the typical Authority half-hour promos that should've been replaced with matches.

Not all of us have the same opinions :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

triplexpac posted:

It hasn't been perfect, but at least they had Lana stand up to Rusev. I was afraid this storyline was going to be handled much, much worse.

Yeah, I think you're right about that. I'm just rather miffed with WWE's strict gender roles. Lucha Underground seems to take a very different approach to inter-sex violence with Pentagon attacking the announcer and Sexy star beating him up for it and other infractions. Now a very, very terrible and utterly entertaining storyline would have included having the whole Divas roster, or maybe only naomi and her buddy, showing up and beating Rusev for not treating Lana right as is the way when men have a problem with another.

• Locked thread