Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Smythe posted:

Goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the only people more insufferable than Pittsburgh people are Australians.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Smythe, I'm not sure the OP is very computer related. Can you look into that? Thanks.......

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

PleasingFungus posted:

Smythe, I'm not sure the OP is very computer related. Can you look into that? Thanks.......

actually CMU is in pburgh and they basically invented computers and the Internet. you can't have either without Pittsburgh so anything about it is, by definition, about computers.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

it is my sole determination that i grant this thread temporary immunity, as it is about our most cherished city.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

nice OP, op. but you left out some vital information such as. HOw do I move to pittsburgh? what will I do for work there? Is love real and can I find it in the

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Love is NOT real. I proved it, with a computer.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
those guys who never look outside of the boring life details thread are gonna love this

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Squeezy Farm posted:

those guys who never look outside of the boring life details thread are gonna love this

Frankly I don't care for it myself, but to each his own. How are you today Squeezy?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

whsts the startup scene in pgh look like

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
ok guys i've cleared my afternoon schedule and will answer all ur hard hitting questions

tori, the only yosposter from pennsylvania, has forsaken this thread so i'll have to answer them for him

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

power botton posted:

whsts the startup scene in pgh look like

it's the pitts

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
if you're wondering about my qualifications, i'm from rochester which is a town of similar history and size to pittsburgh, but 4 hours away in new york

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Beast of Bourbon posted:

if you're wondering about my qualifications, i'm from rochester which is a town of similar history and size to pittsburgh, but 4 hours away in new york

actual rochester or some bullshti like henrietta or greece or whatever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

why is pittsburgh continually ignored in favor of philadelphia

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

power botton posted:

actual rochester or some bullshti like henrietta or greece or whatever

this is an important distinction

"chili" lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

pittsford is only a few letters away from pittsburgh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

im posting from rochester minnesota

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

ok guys i've cleared my afternoon schedule and will answer all ur hard hitting questions

tori, the only yosposter from pennsylvania, has forsaken this thread so i'll have to answer them for him

does bam margera still live there?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

quote:

Pittsford is a town in Monroe County, New York, United States and is a semi-affluent suburb of Rochester.

The median income for a household in the town was $109,344, and the median income for a family was $119,509.

"semi-affluent" lol

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i'm from rochester rochester 14620 bitches

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

im posting from rochester michigan and can take any questions you may have

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

carry on then posted:

im posting from rochester minnesota

I've been to that Rochester before.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

hello YOSPOS

I'd like to welcome you to the first inaugural yospos pittsburgh thread 2015. this is the place to discuss pittsburgh (the city in pennisylvania) and the various issues and concerns surrouding the city.

before we begin here are some facts about Pittsburgh:

-Pittsburgh is known as the "Steel City" due to it's steel manufacturing in the 1800s. it hasn't produced any steel since before world war 1, but people still cling to the history.
-As noted YOSPOS Super Poster Tori CMOS has called it, Pittsburgh is also known as the "Paris of the Appalachians" because it is the only inhabited area with partial electricification in the entire Ohio Valley. the glow of it's street lights can be seen all the way to Louisville on a dark night.
-Mr. Fred Rogers (of Mr Rogers Neighborhood) is from the Pburgh. That's right, the formal vietnam era black ops soldier is born and raised in the p-town. we all love him.
-Primatni bros Sausage Company makes sausages you can find in 7-11s world wide and is quite a good specimen of american cured meats. great on any sando.
-The Robot Hall of Fame is located in Pittsburgh and in 2012 WALL-E became an inductee. EVE must have been so proud.
-it has a population in 2014 of 305,842, making it half the size of Plano, TX.

Here are hte major issues surrounding Pittsburgh:

Sports. - The pittsburgh sports teams are modestly successful.

the penguins (the NHL hockey team)

have usually lost in the semi or quarter finals, not bad for a team from the deep south! their lead scorerman was out for over 3 years due to massive career ending brain injuries, and his shattered husk is still brought out for each game as sort of a sick mascot. even though he has no higher brain function, he is the highest scorer on the penguins, and that is enough to bring them to the semifinals every year. Go 'guins!

the pirates (mlb) are a baseball team who is sometimes okay. they play in 3 rivers stadium which is the only underwater stadium in the MLB and quite an impressive engineering achievement.

the steeler (NFL) are lead by 3-time convicted rapist Tom Roethlisberger, who has raped more women in the off-season than has super bowl rings (3-1). the steelers are usually a contender in the post-season.
Dan Marino, noted Miami Dolphines superstar is from pittsburgh. to this day, pittsburgh residents curse his name.

Industry - Pittsburgh was made famous by the Robocop movie for having it's dilapidated abandond downtown Steel Mill feature in the Robocop movie.

this was considered the height of pittsburgh industry and has only gone downhill in the last 30 years.

other major industries in the "p-town" as the locals call it are salvage followed by figs and then rolling rock beer.

The Civil War:

Pennsylvania (the state Pittsburgh is located in, but just barely) was a major battleground in the War of Northern Aggression. Gettysburg, a suburb of Pittsburgh, was the location of the High Water Mark of the confederacy, when Robert E. Lee slew most of the north's soldiers and then gracefully retreated to allow them to collect their dead. Widely considered a tactical mistake, in some circles though of as the turning point in the war, it shows how the South "won" the war of northern aggression even though it was militarily defeated. to this day the pittsburgh arsenal flies the confederate flag, honoring it's almost-conqueror.

Furries:

the p-burgh is home to anthrocon, the world'slargest furry convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T291jwBFLvA

Education:

In the heart of downtown Pittsburrg lies Penn State Universty, noted haven for pedophiles Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky. pittsburghians revere the names of these 2 sports legends and view the trial and conviction of Pittsburgh's 2 Greatest Hometown heroes as both an affront to justice and to God's Vision for Pittsburgh. 1000 years of Big 10 supremancy was promised to them in a vision to Joe Paterno and now they have been forsaken b y man.

so these are the facts for pittsburgh, what do you goons think?
tia

I, a Pittsburgh Native, hereby confirm and verify all of these Pittsburgh Facts.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I'm going to host the First Annual Yospos Anthrocon Goonmeet, and you're all invited to it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

carry on then posted:

why is pittsburgh continually ignored in favor of philadelphia

because it's better, aside from the traffic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the city of pitssburg is located at the bottom of a crater and the walls of the crater have kept all the smog from the steel industry trapped on top of the city. you can still breathe air fouled by steel mills 70 years ago (which was the last time they made steel in pittsburg)

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
tbf every time ive been to pittsburgh i wind up enjoying the city. weather's not bad compared to what i'm used to (dc/baltimore), people are nice, and there's cool little restaurants and places dotted around

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Wild EEPROM posted:

the only people more insufferable than Pittsburgh people are Australians.

you are just deeply and fundamentally wrong about that one buddy.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

the city of pitssburg is located at the bottom of a crater and the walls of the crater have kept all the smog from the steel industry trapped on top of the city. you can still breathe air fouled by steel mills 70 years ago (which was the last time they made steel in pittsburg)

that's what's great about pittsburgh: "the history is alive in Pittsburgh" (official slogan)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I breathe black and gold.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

BooLoo posted:

you are just deeply and fundamentally wrong about that one buddy.

Correct. Australians are second to no one

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've been to pittsburgh

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i feel like pittsburgh is like the barrie, ontario of the us. c/d?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
is pittsburgh pronounced with a soft g or hard g

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
thanks for telling me about pittsburg

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
does pittsburgh have a castle/palace>

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
and if not what european city is it named after

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i feel like pittsburgh is like the barrie, ontario of the us. c/d?
i would think Hamilton would be a more accurate comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i had to look it up but apparently pittsburgh was named at William Pitt, a englishman who did something of note i guess.

and it WAS intended to be pronounced Pitts-burrah, like Edinburgh Scotland, but Americans being American just call it whatever we drat well please.

• Locked thread