Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

BallisticClipboard posted:

-Question 2-
Hope: Tell me about your homeland. How do people there feel about you living here on a semi-permanent basis? How easy was it to ask for permission to do this? A simple please, thank you or did you have to strike a bargain? Also, how has integrating into the mortal world gone?

Oh! It's a really great place! All of the wilds are pristine, and the locals are (mostly) friendly! I spent countless years exploring everything I could find.

It's awful dangerous if you aren't from around there, though. There's a reason most people who go into the Fae lands never come back. For one, it's considered merely rude to harm mortals in your domain. After all, they didn't ask for permission to enter.

Opinion about me living here though are pretty mixed, though. A lot of the older Fae seem to think me roughing it out with the mortals an amusing diversion and they gossip about me all the time. I've even found some scrying tokens planted on my things when I leave my nightly runs through the Faerie. If they want to know what I get up to while I'm away, they could just ask. .

Most of the younger fae, though, tend to take my decision as some sort of personal slight. Like, they're so boring I had to go to another world to find something fun to do. Either way, everyone thinks it's a phase, though. Just give me a decade or two and I'll grow out of it. Shows what they know. I'm going to do this forever!

No one can really keep me on the Faerie lands, technically. It's not like I'm sworn to anyone's service. Still, I had to get permission from the Faerie lord who controlled the lands the gate I wanted to use was on. I had to promise to bring the lord a new secret every week I use the gate.

And as far as figuring out my place in this world, it's... well, at least the worst of it was over quickly? Like, apparently people here freak out if you don't wear enough clothing. And you've got to pay just to eat! How crazy is that!? I think I've the basics figured out, but there's still so many weird exceptions to rules. Like, if you're going swimming, it's ok to wear less clothes! But if you go swimming and try to go home, you've got to change at the water.

Mortals are so strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Helene: Is everyone fair game or are there people you won’t play with? Any lines in the sand or is it a free for all?

What's the point drawing lines in the sand? The water's rising, baby, and it's sink or swim! All lines in the sand do is get washed away. But who won't I play with? People make it clear they don't want to play and I won't make them. Not that many do; most of them just fall into my eyes. I'm told they are almost as entrancing as hers were. And the way I used to get blissfully lost in her eyes... She could convince me to do anything. Besides, what's the point in playing with peope who don't enjoy the game? They aren't anything like as much fun - although most fun of all is bringing wallflowers who long to dance out onto the floor - especially when you can show them that bruses and bites aren't so bad after all. Or put them on their knees - many of them love it there as much as I love them being there. And if I break their hearts? It toughens them up. And who knows? I might create the next Dante.

After all they all knew I was trouble the minute I walked in. Or they need lessons in spotting trouble and I did them a favour.

And any people? If they are too young, ewwww! This is about helping them learn to protect themselves! And having fun! Not me trying to gross myself out!

OOC: Helene is, as ever, an unreliable narrator - and her comments about eyes are implying things in her past she isn't consciously aware of. She actually does know at some levels that using Hypnotic Gaze on the unwilling is wrong, but has been prevented from consciously realising it. If she ever looks as if she's going to abuse Hypnotic Gaze in play that way I'll discuss in IRC first - and automatically throw everything under Spoiler tags, but it's almost certainly not going to happen. (I'll almost certainly discuss any use of Hypnotic Gaze with the recipient in IRC before using it anyway).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

quote:

Serenity: I feel you sister; city life can be a grind sometimes. But it seems like you have some cool people looking out for you. I understand you were asked to come to the city to get a city education, are you here purely for your communes sake or is this a Rumspringa of sorts for you?

Well it wasn't my idea, I can tell you that man. I think it started after I took care of one of my urges around mama Linda. She seemed annoyed. Man I don't get it. Even if I'm not supposed to do stuff like that around people I don't know like papa Casey says, Linda is family. We're supposed to be about no barriers and free love and also communing with nature but I don't think that last one doesn't apply here. Like when mama Jean was annoyed I didn't have a dress. Maybe they weren't born in the commune like I was. They're too used to city stuff.

That works with what papa Mike said to me. When it was decided I would have a city education he pulled me aside for a chat. Told me not to be too bummed out and that he knew I wouldn't let the city damper my free spirit. He said that me and him was different from the others. And that i shouldn't show off how free my spirit is around more uptight people. I tried to protest but he wasn't having it. I got it when he reminded me that I got bummed out about learning the guitar after being blown away by the greats. I thought I'd never be able to match them. So I gotta ease people into loosening up. Or something. This city business will be a good practice in being humble about showing off that I much less uptight than other people. It's also a good chance to get better at the guitar. Really easy to get new music out here. Maybe I can even join a band.

He also said his growth spurt happened around my age and winked. Dunno what that was about but I gained three inches since I've moved into the city. If I grow as tall as papa Mike I'm going to need a new dress.

What's a Rumspringa?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

quote:

Casper: You don’t want Disney channel but you’ll sell it. Fair play. Why are you so jaded at such an early age? Tell me more about the fire incident, is it an isolated event?

Is it jaded? That would imply that I have a problem with it, and I really don't. I'm not some starving artist that really wants to make a foreign-language acid western pet project, but has to settle for stoner comedy shlock to pay the rent. I'm fine with it - more money means an even better life for me personally. If the world is enriched by my contribution to it, then that's a welcome side-effect at best.

Well, it's isolated as far as my parents are concerned. I've had a couple of other... episodes. A few more isolated incidents involving breathing fire, my skin's been really dry, and recently my back has started to hurt - right below the shoulders. I'm not really sure what's happening, but I've been able to keep it from anyone else so far. It'll piss them off - mom never likes being reminded that she can't have "real" kids, but I might ask my parents about checking my birth family's medical history. I'd rather learn now than later if I've already lost the genetic lottery.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 1, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sam: I get it. But, aren’t you curious at all? Just a little bit?

Okay, you got me. I am curious - to find out what the deal is with these guys, why they're so sure I'm the dude they're looking for, what exactly it is they expect me to do. I don't plan to be anyone else's stooge or lackey, #MyOwnBoss but if these assholes won't leave me alone, might as well go proactive, right? #WhoDaresWins and I'm the most daring person there is!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Eve: It seems like you and them get along. Do you have any problems at all or is it all smooth sailing? Is there anyone you can relate to in this wild world, perhaps even Emissary suggested?

Yeah, things go pretty well for the most part. I mean, I've grown up with Em for a large part of my life. I guess to me, he's kind of like a...well, not really parent but, uh, nanny? Tutor? Those don't sound right. But hopefully you get what I mean. I do like keeping things good between us because like I said, I have to deal with him 24/7. Can you imagine if we actually hated each other? One thing I've noticed is he's a little weird about people I start getting close to. Not in a grouchy dad "You can't hang out with them" sort of way, just "Ah, good to see you've established a connection with someone so useful." And it's like, sure, okay I can use them but I could also just hang out with them and talk about things too you know? Maybe it's just something he doesn't understand - I suppose that since he isn't human after all, maybe he doesn't quite get friendship? I dunno. Not that they're actually friends, but it's the principal of the issue okay?

As for anyone I can relate to? Well...there's, uh...not a lot. First off you'd think my parents but hahahaha no loving way. They decided to offer me up years before I was even born so they could get rich, and now they hardly even talk to me. I suppose it's hard to do typical parent poo poo when your kid can point out how you sold their soul or whatever. They know I have to do things for someone, but they're not exactly clear on the details. Which is fine by me, because honestly gently caress them.

Now for friends? I could get people to be around me based on how I can get them just about anything on account of being rich and also having supernatural abilities, but those aren't actually friends. People are always going on about me being a "violent psycho" but I don't just punch anyone, only people who are being assholes to me. But you hit the wrong person once and then oh hey, now you have this reputation. Em likes to go on and on about how "Hopefully, you can see that actions have consequences and in the future you can whatever blah blah etc." but I'm pretty sure that's just him doing one big "I told you so." There are some other students I get together with occasionally, but I hardly know them. Em wants to teach me better people skills for his own purpose (or whatever else's purpose), but maybe...I could use them to get a friend? It'd...be nice.

This sounds really dumb and whiny, nevermind.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Thank you everyone for applying. Apps are closed. Picks will come when I get some time to sit down and plan things out.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Picks are in:

The Infernal: Eve Austin – Heliotrope

The Witch: Franklin Giordano – Gato

The Mortal: Wendy MacLain – Zurui

The Werewolf: Zack Morrissey – Hunt11

~Team Clueless~ :3:
The Selkie: Cally Seaward – Lifegetsworser
The Fae: Hope Regina – Capfalcon
The Sasquatch: Serenity Moonblossom – Thethatteredking

Making picks was really difficult and I ended up having to expand to 7 players. Once again, I thank all of you for applying. Now let's dish out the player strings.
(If I hosed up who's playing what please tell me so I don't look like a huge doofus)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Here's my background stuff

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

I'm no stranger to owing favors, but at least I have some owed to people other then Em.

1) Serenity Moonblossom is kind of weird and smelly, but at least she has some good weed. Really needs to take more showers, but I'm not going to say that to her face.

2) She might demand I pay her back, but at least I can get that new girl Wendy Maclain to do homework for me. Good to know if I ever get a little too busy to deal with trivial bullshit like that.

3) While I owe Franklin Giodrdano for checking out Hope's locker, I should probably keep an eye on mine if he's that good at getting into them.

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Zack Morrissey is a lot sharper then I gave him credit for - I think he's realized something's up. He actually did the whole "You can talk to me if anything's wrong" thing and I almost laughed in his face. Instead I just told him everything's fine, but now I think he keeps looking at me every now and then. Em's kind of curious to see how I'll deal with it, but it shouldn't be a problem - worse comes to worse, I can just find a secret of his and force him to back off.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 5, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Backstory

quote:

You’ve seen someone swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you. Gain a String on them.

I have been getting sort of friendly with this other girl whose got a nice name, Serenity Moonblossom. She says she isn't from around here either, but I don't think she's from where I'm from. But, I did see her, uhm, before we met. I was looking for my pe...coat on the beach one night and I saw her down in the water. I think she was swimming but she was uhm, well the dress she always wears she wasn't wearing it. I was like that the first time but Adam said that was a no-no when I met him, he said there's no "nude beaches" around here, whatever that meant. So I uhm, borrowed some clothes after that. I was confused because Serenity has some clothes but she wasn't wearing it that time? So I just kind of, hid behind a dock pole. I said hi later though and she's nice! She has a weird smell though, kind of like...uhm...bu...um...burning! spices, or something.

quote:

Someone stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

Oh! I found it, my coat, but...I'm not happy about it. Because someone has it - it's this...Eve Austin person! She seems so mean! And I asked for it back and she said no! What am I going to do!?

I begged her, and she said she'd give it back if I made this other girl, Hope Regina, like her? I mean, I can try but...Hope seems like a really nice person and Eve isn't! She won't give me back my pelt so she can't be nice! I don't like her, so how am I supposed to get someone else to like her? UGH!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hope's backstory

quote:

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

People here really bottle things up. They hide their feelings way too much. That's just not good for you. But, I'm not gonna be like that ever! Maybe they'll learn to loosen up a little, too!

quote:

You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

So, there's a girl who's been falling over herself to help me. I think her name is... Eve? Sorry, I'm really bad with names... Anyway, she's a nice, but she's a little weird. Even for a mortal! She just gets all dour and pouty every now and then, but then things go her way! I wish I had that kind of luck!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Zack's Backstory

quote:

You lack subtlety. Give a string to everyone.

I used to be part of the background, just going along with the crowd. This is no longer the case. Ever since that night I have become part of the regular gossip. Whether it is from being so directionally confrontational with the teachers to getting into fights with other students. I manage to be just careful enough to avoid any real trouble, but this has ensured that almost everybody I meet will already have a set impression of just who I am.

quote:

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

I don't know when it started, but recently I have been paying more attention to Franklin then my average classmate. Part of the reason is that I enjoy dealing with him as he seems a lot more relaxed then most of the other students at school. So anyway every now and then I might just quietly walk a couple blocks behind and watch his routine. Not because I view him as prey or anything, I just feel curious to see if I can figure out just how he manages it.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 5, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Wendy

Heliotrope posted:

Giving all of these away, if you want one feel free to come up with something.

Listen, if you're going to ask me to do your History homework then just freaking ask, okay? I've already written my paper, so I can do yours, but you owe me. Seriously owe me.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Serenity's Backstory

quote:

You've been a wallflower all your life, but someone finally noticed you. Give them a String.

I met this rad lady Cally after a swim. Said hi to me while I passed by. No one else ever just came up to me like that yet. And she's new to the city as well. She's pretty jazzed out about it. I'm gonna try to get her to chill out and go with the flow.

quote:

Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you gain 2 Strings on them

Giving this one away to whoever wants it.

Heliotrope posted:

Yeah man this girl Eve I got her to try out the good stuff. I was a bit bummed she didn't want to come over and share it. But she said she owes me one for letting her take some so that's cool. She was looking for an ice breaker and none better man!

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 5, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Franklin's backstory

quote:

You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.
Zack is actually a pretty cool guy - sure, he's kinda intense and he takes himself very seriously, but that just makes it more fun to joke around with him. Still, I don't want to end up with a broken nose if he takes something the wrong way, so I lifted that old tennis ball he plays around with sometimes from his bag in class when he was in the bathroom. Insurance, right? I'm sure he can find another one.

So I might also have a certain something belonging to Hope. I was going through her locker this one time, which is a whole story in itself, and I found this weird stone thingy which was kinda pretty and, well, it can't be that big a deal if she just left it there. I don't know what it is, but it's got these patterns on it that I don't recognise. Maybe I'll ask Grandfather about it? OOC: Totally want this to be a faerie scrying token.

quote:

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.
Unfortunately, that British chick Wendy definitely saw me looking in Hope's locker. Which is weird, because it was dark and they were about to shut the school for the night. But yeah. Doesn't look like she's planning to sneak on me... which is bad, because it means I owe her.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Serenity's Backstory

quote:

Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you gain 2 Strings on them
Giving this one away to whoever wants it.
Oh man, Serenity. I try not to punch down but I cannot even believe this girl exists. She looks like she literally just walked out of the forest and she smells like damp earth... mixed with weed. Loads of weed. You know she comes from an honest-to-God commune? I didn't even know those still existed. I might have made one too many jokes about going native, and free love, man and, you know, drinking the Kool-Aid, but on the other hand, she unironically talks about the Man keeping her down, so...
She gains the condition Weedlord Dances-with-Wolves.

Heliotrope posted:

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.
So yeah, our resident psycho has a thing for Hope, and it's pretty obvious. I'm all in favour of letting young love blossom, especially when two hot girls are involved. So when I saw Eve staring at Hope's locker, I offered to tell her what was inside, using *~magic~* (I love saying it like that.) Hence the situation with the locker and Wendy and the weird stone. No secret diaries or photos of boyfriends or whatever Eve would have been interested in, but, hey, she got what she wanted. I might have left a note with Eve's name and a fake number on it there though.

Gato fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 5, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Wendy

Gato posted:

Thinking either Wendy or Cally for this.

Things might be different here, but I'm pretty certain that wasn't your locker, Franklin. I was in too much of a hurry to get to class and couldn't confront you about it. I don't know what's more creepy: you taking something out of the locker, or you leaving something in it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, put together this stringsheet. Does anyone else have any backgrounds left?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Still missing Serenity's bully and Wendy's true love.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hunt11 posted:

Still missing Serenity's bully and Wendy's true love.

Gato took the bully, actually.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Still need someone who thinks they can save Eve too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Capfalcon posted:

Gato took the bully, actually.

That's what I get for not double checking.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Heliotrope posted:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Maybe I just notice it more then most people but sometimes it seems as though somebody is trying to control Eve. It is nothing obvious but sometimes she will do something and then the next day she will do the complete opposite and when asked about it her eyes dart around the room just quickly enough that if you are not paying attention then it will seem as though nothing happened. Having just started to try and be myself I am not a big fan of those who try to dominate others so a couple days ago I offered to listen to any worries she might have.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, now the Mortal Picks Last (TM).

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
I would offer to be the Mortal's Twue Wuv but only because just about nobody has any strings on Cally.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Wendy

She has landed in this city, but Wendy doesn't have her feet on the ground at all. She's not looking for kisses; she's looking for an anchor, a lighthouse, a fixed point to grab on to and never let go. Zack is that anchor. In her mind Wendy knows that something is wrong, that she should be feeling something different than this, but her heart beats for him and him alone.

Now if only he would notice her!

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

We have a thread if you didn't notice: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724319

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well that was a wasted roll.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have been moving over the last couple days so that is why I have not been updating. Sorry about the delays but I should be able to get a post up within the next two hours.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hunt11 posted:

I have been moving over the last couple days so that is why I have not been updating. Sorry about the delays but I should be able to get a post up within the next two hours.

Best of luck with the move! Please don't beat Hope up again!

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I'm going to be away from home for the next week, and it looks like I'll be pretty busy. I'll still have internet, but posting might be a little slow.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Sorry for not updating. I'm taking a few days break. I'm not feeling up to par recently.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I am moving over the weekend, so posting will be sparse but doable.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Family is visiting. Taking a little time off.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Essay is kicking my rear end. Probably won't see a prompt from me for 1 -2 more days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Just to let everyone know, I'm heading out of town with family on Wednesday the 14th and will return on Saturday the 17th. So I'm not going to be available for posting until after then.

• Locked thread