Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Alexandra Farmer, the Queen

"Hey there, Betty. Good you could make it. Bottle of coke's on the table, grab yourself a glass. Congrats by the way, heard you aced the hell out of that quiz last week. No surprise there. I know how hard you've been studying. I've always known you had serious potential. I'm seriously so glad you joined our study group. Mrs. Michaels keeps asking me what the secret is, and I always say, it's just a healthy bit of peer pressure, staying away from beer and drugs and selling our collective souls to the devil. Hahahah."

"Well, I was lying of course. About the selling soul to the devil thing, no such thing. However, there is actually another part to the secret. And I'm going to tell you. I'm not worried you'll blab, or won't believe me or get angry, because you've been with us long enough. But these are things you should know, and I feel I owe it to each of you to say it personally.

"So let's get the big reveal out of the way. I have, or am, some kind of odd creature that sits inside my skull and has pretty much fused with my brain."

"Hm, just a little bit of trepidation, huh? Maybe I should have waited a week more? Nah, you'll feel fine. trust me, it only gets easier from here."

"Anyway, my dad's a doctor, and he got it too, and he injected me with his, well, seeds I guess, and I went through pretty much what you went through. Except you got it during one of those make-out sessions with Mark here. It's pretty much on my prodding he went after you, though he did think you were pretty hot, not much prodding requited. You're gonna have to break up soon, by the way, but the changes should make sure you'll be okay with that. Anyway, before I gave him the go ahead to choose you, I had you in the group, wanted to see if you were 'the right stuff' Not everyone in the Study Group has what it takes you know. You're part of the best of the best, and you're going to get even better."

"So, once I saw you had a good amount of the good stuff in your nogging, I had Mark turn on his charm, and you got some little floaters that are in his bodily fluids in you. At the start, they didn't do much except give me a vague awareness of your mental state. it's how I knew you were feeling so down when your dog died. I wasn't faking my sympathy though. I lost my dog too, and that really loving hurt. Bit by bit, those little floaters started to grow all over your brain though. And they also started multiplying and got little seeds all in your bodily fluids."

"Hahah, I see how all kinds of lights are coming on right? You are a sharp one. Yeah, that's why I blocked off Vince when he was trying to make a move on you. Vince is definitely NOT the right stuff. And I don't want him to have anything grow inside that booze pickled brainpan. It's pretty hard really. Drink and drugs? Seriously mess up the seeds and growths. Yeah, you got it, the big anti-Drug and Drink campaign is mostly done so I can take good care of what's growing in your head."

"Becuase it's growing. It's making you smarter, more focused, with a better memory. I mean, you're not going to be doing any comic-book stuff, but you're going to go places. And also, it makes you extremely susceptible to my commands, and accepting of, well, all of this. This is pretty much the point of no return. Seriously, I don't mean that in the 'we'll kill you if you betray us' thing, because you can't, and I would never kill you. I mean in that at this stage, removing the growth would require an almost lethal amount of drugs and, well, could very well cause brain damage, or death. Mark here is pretty much in it for life, one way or the other."

"But this isn't about me being the Queen and having a bunch of slaves. That is not how this thing works. You're not my slaves. You're... my children in a way. That's why I never hook up with any of the inner circle, and that's why Mark and you are going to go splitsville. Even if I ordered you to stay together for some reason, it'd soon get really gross for you, trust me. You're like, siblings. Yeah, I can see how you feel how the affection changed and you just... felt less hot about him, eh? it's natural."

"Oh yeah, one thing I almost forgot. The growth in your brain actually needs a few extra nutrients. Just some trace amounts, but your body doesn't make them on its own. So every week or so, you need to drink a little bit of my body liquids. Trace amounts is enough. Hah, yep! How does that coke taste? Now you know why I always bring the drinks. Just spit, you probably had larger amounts of bodily fluids from eating fast-food. You don't want to get off this. It will hurt you. Badly. So when I offer people drinks. Drink. Don't worry, it doesn't do anything to people who aren't fertilized. That needs a more... direct contact."

"Anyway, like I said, you're my children. And children will mature one day. At some point, there' going to be a final growth spurt in that magnificent brain of yours, and after a two day fever with headaches and a brief moment of braindeath, you'll be a fully grown Yeerk. My dad named us like that. He is the hugest dork. At that point, I will no longer be able to have any control over you, and you'll produce your own little seeds, that do all the things, for you, not for me. You'll be able to recognize others like us, so there's no accidental awkward attempts to fertilize each other. I don't know what that'll do, but I don't want to find out. At that point, you can look to find your own children."

"I'll tell you what my dad told me though. You need to think carefully about when you claim them. Too young can be... unpredictable. My dad had me injected at the start of puberty, and let me tell you, I gave him a lot of trouble. I like to think I came out all right. Too old and, well, the intelligence improving aspect thing is... lackluster and the process is slowed. Fully mature brains just aren't growing enough anymore. But honestly, the ideal age for highly intelligent, sharp Yeerk is pretty much your age. You'll all probably surpass me. My goal here is to see you become the best Yeerk you can be. And I'm counting on you to get into positions that mean something. Companies, governments, use your own judgement. We don't want to get eradicated, so we should try to make sure we're in positions to stop word going out, all right? And you'll get married and have children. And with that, I mean adopt. Sorry, we only get one kind of procreation. And then you'll do one fine day what my father did for me."

"Oh yeah, I'm adopted. Sort of anticlimactic to reveal that now, isn't it?"

"It's not bad on a personal level or a macro level. On a personal level. I'm Alexandra, I like dogs, science fiction novels and I have a guilty pleasure for eighties music I'm totally blaming my dad for. I have all memories of my life, in fact they are better, and I won't ever have to deal with poo poo like Alzheimer. I've paid my dues in some time of loss of free will, yeah. Guess I missed out on getting grounded now and then. (not completely though. Like I said, starting young makes the whole thing a bit less stable) All in all, while it might be a hard sell to make, I can imagine a lot of people would loving sign up on this. Except remember, this club is exclusive, invite only. You get some dumbshit with this on his brain, and not only is it kind of a waste of your time, but there's a risk he'll get all of us loving exposed. I don't need to draw you a picture of what that will lead to right? So seriously, right now, you don't have a choice, but you'll remember this when you're mature. Keep a tight hold of who you fertilize. If something goes wrong. Drugs or booze that one up to make sure you don't make a dumb Yeerk. It feels bad when you do that, but it'll feel worse when you create another one of us who's just... not on the same level as any of the others. We are, or we all will be, creature of thought. Don't use one as dumb muscle. That's just... wrong."

"So about the macro stuff, you know, I do think about right and wrong, same as a human would. I mean, I supposed I'm emotionally predisposed to be cool with it, my brain rewired and all, but it makes sense doesn't it? End game here is we secretly or maybe not so secretly run the world. Now think of what this means. I'm not saying we Yeekrs could not have conflicts, but the greatest resource we wish, are intelligent, well thinking humans. Do you think if we ran poo poo things like ISIL, or the Tea Party or Jersey Shore would happen? Hell no, that's poisoning the well. If we'd compete, it would be in educating our people the best. Getting out into space. Finding new races and new intelligences to try to enrich. Humanity would be enriched. Even the people who don't make the cut, they'd be led by people with better functioning brains, who share a great purpose with the people on the other end. End World Hunger, Cure for Cancer, World Peace, Resolution of Energy Crisis, all the good stuff. I'm sure we can do it."

"Like I said when I started this Study Group. It's all about fulfilling potential."

quote:

Stats: Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 0

Moves:
The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest,
coolest, most powerful clique around.
They count as a gang. Choose one of
the following strengths for your gang:

they’re cultists mind-controlled (with dark oaths larvae in their brains and willingness to die).

Many Bodies
When you promise one of your gang members to someone, add 2 to your roll to turn someone on. When one of your gang members has sex with someone, it triggers your Sex Move.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self:
They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Backstory:
Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.
You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them..

quote:

1. Tell me about another student you've had the pleasure (or displeasure) of interacting.

So, I've been establishing our Study group here at Turl Boler, keeping an eye on promising folks. And I have my eye on Leo Simmons. Very sharp, very intelligent. However, he's been coasting along his classes for a long time, spending a lot of time facebooking in class and getting B+'s. Mostly, he's bored. He's got a bit of an ego on him though, looking down on people that have problems, and he feels are 'holding him back' He's not very likely to join the Study Group on his own, even if he might need it most. But I'm pretty sure I want him to get fertilized.

2. Tell me about a teacher or facility member you've met or had to deal with.

Mrs. Johnson. Chemistry teacher and redently married to another woman.. Outspokenly feminist and trying to encourage more girls to go into the hard sciences. She and Mr. Perks do NOT get along. She's got a sharp sense of humor, sometimes outright cutting, and a sharp brain. She and Mrs. Jasper, the biology teacher I should make sure to keep tabs on, to make sure none of them suspect a thing.

3. Tell me any interesting places you've seen or heard of from the other students.

There's a bar near the school which I've started to frequent. 'Totally T'. It's pretty much like a bar except they serve no alcohol. Which means we can get in without getting carded, and without even anyone frowning at it. They got a lot of coffee, orange juices, teas, etc. People there are a pretty large mix. You've got your health nuts, you've got your pious folks, your more hippie oriented folks (it's fair trade stuff). And our Study Grooup gathers there sometimes.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

quote:

Alexandra: As noble as you goals might be, I would imagine your reveal would be rather shocking. Have any of your ‘children’ fled from or resisted you? If so, what happened to them and the being in their head? If not, what would happen?

Hey! I've only been in this school for two weeks. I just got this study group started up and I'm still trying to get a good view on which people would make good candidates. Mark, Betty and Sean are coming with me from elementary. Anyway, if I fertilized someone, it'd still be in very early stages. It's very much dependent on a lot of things how quickly it develops. (And no, this is not something I'll experiment on. The thought is revolting) I'm making my picks, getting my study group set up, taking the measure of people I think would make good Yeerks. Rushing into this won't lead to good things.

Ah, well, I suppose I should talk about things that happened while I was in elementary school, early last year. Look, we might get improved brains and all, but when I was a dumb kid, I was still a dumb kid. I'm pretty sure that when I adopt, I'm gonna wait a bit longer to make her go through the change to avoid the mistakes I made. Right, so being a Yeerk means that if you see someone who's really smart, part of you wants to make sure he gets fertilized. That doesn't mean that my normal human eh... attraction isn't working. So, little puberty me got a crush on a boy at school named Jake. And Jake kinda liked me. Dad advised me against being rash about it, but I wanted him, and he liked me, and I just been given independence, so I figured, I'm a full on Yeerk, you can't tell me what to do. So one clumsy make out session later, hurray, I had my first fertilized 'child'.

All right, this is where the Yeerk part and the human part feelings tend to be eh... at cross purposes. Which explains why dad is single and is gonna remain so. Human part likes someone and wants make-outs and more. Yeerk part doesn't object, and actually encourages it with intelligent people. But everyone you start to make out with, you are starting to transform into your child. Not to mention, they kind of start to get under your influence. So eh... long term relations kind of go towards Creepy Town really fast, unless you continually eradicate your fertilization,, and eh... that is definitely something the Yeerk side dislikes. I guess the only possible romantic partner is someone who'd be immune to it of you somehow manage to always keep bodily fluids from mixing. Then you just have to deal with the whole 'Hey, I'm not technically fully human' part of the equation.

Let's just say that for all the advantages that becoming a Yeerk gives, a wonderful dating life is not one of them. Anyway, with Jake, it went well for a long while. We were getting closer and closer and I could feel my influence over him strengthening. However, he was hanging with some friends who were drinking. Now, you're not going to kill your proto-Yeerk with just a few lovely bud-lights, but it's not good, and I was feeling hurt about it. So, I figured I could just order him not to do it, and brilliant as I was, I did so publicly, in front of his friends.

Remember what I told you about younger ages being less predictable and harder to control? Between that and his friends egging him on. He refused. We had a big fight. He... broke up with me. I was devastated. At first I thought he'd just save face with his mates and come back, I could feel he was hurting and wanted to come back to me. Maybe things could have gone different if I had gone to him and apologized earlier, or maybe not. Anyway, as I said before, one thing that is needed for the proto-Yeerk to grow is a small amount of its parent's bodily fluids on a weekly basis. Otherwise, it starts to die off. So, at some point, Jake started having headaches and fevers. I tried to go to his home, desperate, but his parents wouldn't let me in. Dad didn't assist, saying that as an adult Yeerk, I should be made aware of the consequences of my actions.

The thing was, what does a kid with heavy headaches get? Medication. Medication which only sped up the dying of my... offspring within Jake. Eventually, my dad, in his function as a doctor, advised some stronger medicine to the parents. And that... killed the offspring in Jake. I cried for days. My father told me it was for the best. The offspring hadn't progressed too much. Jake would still be able to function normally, though likely not at a college level, and I had learned a valuable lesson. I should not think that those carrying my offspring cannot turn against me in some way. I should take charge,, but also be kind to them, and respect them.

My dad told me one of his stories too though. One that I'm keeping in mind. He had a friend, Thomas, at university that was progressed pretty drat far. Extremely intelligent, and dad looked forward a lot to seeing him become a Yeerk. Of course, back then dad was a lot more secretive, and he didn't tell his children poo poo, figuring out he'd explain all after they 'hatched'. All Thomas knew is that it was important he'd studied and improved himself. And at some point, he got the flu, and when he got better, the workload was kind of intimidating.

So Thomas started getting some 'help' to burn the midnight oil. Drugs. Dad was actually on an internship and swamped himself, so he didn't find out until after a while. And he was furious, commanding Thomas never to use such things again, and Thomas promised to do that. You know what is one of those things that will make even someone with an advanced yeerk growth go against their progenitor's wishes? A loving drug addiction. Thomas would earnestly promise and swear never to use it again, and then my father, confident that he had read the depths of his mind, would go on to look after others and his own work. And as soon as withdrawals started kicking in, Thomas would use his clever, sharpened mind to make sure he could get more drugs.

The drugs hurt the growth, and to deal with the pain, Thomas started to use more drugs. Dad realized what was happening and just... cut Thomas loose at some point. Perhaps he hoped it would lead to a turn around. It didn't. Thomas quickly washed out of college, and started getting seizures, and the smart mind dad had so admired just... fell apart. I... don't know how the story ended. The last thing dad said was 'I couldn't risk him ending up with a doctor with his brain cut open.' He never said what followed. I... like to think he just found a way for Thomas to get taken to a private care clinic to spend the rest of his days. I'm not asking dad, for both of our sake. The lesson I took is to tell the ones I feel I can trust everything about their state. So they know not to cause themselves harm.

Anywya, maybe you want a shortlist. Basically, in the earliest stages where I can just about detect you and don't really have much control over you, just a week or so of not getting fed nutrients or getting a bit sloshed or stoned will remove the fertilization ,with no damage done. At worst, you'll have something like a mild hangover, often hidden by the actual hangover. It's not something I like happening, but it's no big deal. In fact, if I find someone got fertilized who I don't want to remain so, I might try to arrange for him to get in such a situation. Also, anything that forcibly knocks you out, like trauma will pretty much do the same thing.

If you're getting a bit deeper, to the point where I can have a pretty good influence on you, but you're not 'completely in' yet, it takes a lot more. You pretty much have to drink until blackout, or do a fair dose of some heavier stuff, or just get buzzed or stoned every day, ignoring the warning signs. And of course, if you don't get the nutrients for like a moth, you're going down that path too. That's gonna give you long, sharp headaches and general fevers. It will mess you up. Pretty much what happened to Jake. Definitely not good times for me either. The further you've progressed, the harder the disease will be, and the more permanent damage it can do.

Then we get in the heavier stuff. Like Thomas. And like Mark, Betty and Sean. God, it's pretty horrifying to even talk about this. For them to... lose my gift, it'd take extensive use of serious drugs ,or months and months of separation from nutrients, or possible some kind of poison made against my kind? Perhaps severe brain damage might do that too. Brain damage is going to be what happens. A brain like that is at the apex of its final transformation, each part of the mind being prepared for an ascension. If that all is ripped out, you'll have only the shattered ruins of a mind left, and in some cases, not even that. I don't want to have to face that. Ever.

Look, can we talk about something else?

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 27, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

BallisticClipboard posted:

Alexandra: I need to know something, is Alexandra the Yeerk and Alexandra the person one and the same? From what you’ve said, you write like the being is another person. You have cautions about relationships but you still plant your seed. You worry about control but still hold the reins. Is there a conflict of interested between you and yourself or am I seeing something nonexistent? Additionally, I assume your children are still just that, developing Yeerks. Is this true?

Hah, what do you think? This is a Smeagol/Gollum situation? That deep within me or my children, somewhere a soul is resisting some kind of demonic possession or something? That's now how this works. A person is his brain, there's no such thing as a 'soul' There is no 'real person' that is being repressed. There are changes done to the personality, because changes are done to the brain. So Alexandra is a Yeerk, and there's only one voice in my head. And my children also don't have me puppeteer them. They simply develop over time a very strong desire to assist and obey me, and they rationalize it for themselves. They might tell themselves they admire me, or that I just give good and useful advise. Mark, Betty and Sean know the truth, so they know exactly why they want to obey me.

I might have given a wrong impression somewhere. When I divide the Yeerk side and the Human side, I mean that I have desires that are pretty much the same that anyone else in the school has. And Yeerk desires are the ones I have because I'm a Yeerk. Like, if I see a smoking hot guy who's simply not really the sharpest knife in the drawer, that turns my head, but on the other hand, every time he opens his mouth, it's like a cold shower. Then there's people who are really pretty smart and intelligent, and I've got the urge to get them fertilized, either through myself or through my other children, but, well, the thought of making out with them makes me gag. And yes, there is occasionally the thing that I... am attracted to someone and part of me wants to build a relationship that will last forever, even as the moment I fertilized them, they become increasingly less attractive to the Yeerk emotions. I'm not two persons in one body. I'm one person with several wants, and some of them conflict. Just like everyone else, right? Mine are just a bit different.

About control. Look, I'm not a monster, okay? Like I said, the things I give is a blessing. I'm not acquiring power over people to stroke my own ego, I'm making those around me better. I help them focus, study, apply themselves, aim their ambitions high. I'm not even just talking about the ones I fertilize. People just have a lot of potential and they waste it. They need someone to boss them around sometimes, to be the best they can be! That... doesn't mean I don't worry sometimes. I mean, the thing with Jake I still remember. I am not allowed gently caress ups. People count on me. So I've got to be always in control. Of myself and of the things around me.

And yeah, I don't have any mature children. I'm not sure if I should use a pregnancy or childhood analogy. Anyway, Mark has been fertilized the longest. He's pretty much aware that he's going to become independent soon. The whole evolution from fertilization to maturity lasts 9 months, very roughly, but depending on the person and circumstances can take more or less time.Again, it's as always a mixed feelings bag. I like Mark and I think he'll make a great Yeerk. He's smart, charming with a sarcastic sense of humor. I wasn't even... romanticaly interested in him at the start. Not like Jake. I didn't want to do it with someone I actually was in love with again; Maybe I never want to do it with someone I'm in love with again. Anyway, he's been increasingly helping me with all of this for the last months. I've sometimes asked him to, so really, made him do things I know he felt bad about. And soon, he'll grow up and become just like me. Smarter, sharper, better. And that's good. And in a way, I'll be less lonely then, because there wlll be two Yeerks in school.

But... I also will miss having him always around. I'll miss that tie between us. I'll miss having his support for everything I do. But... but that's just the way it goes. The wyas it should go. Ugh, I feel so ugly thinking like that. Honestly, the thoughts I have because I'm a Yeerk aren't usually the disgusting ones. It's the normal, human thoughts that are horrible. But I'm not a monster.

• Locked thread