Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The 2015 Connor McDavid Hype Fest NHL Entry Draft is taking place June 26-27, 2015 in Sunrise, FL and it's time for everyone to start pegging their future happiness to highschoolers!

The 2015 draft is all about two guys:

Connor McDavid - C - 6'1 195lbs

The joy is apparent on McDavid's face as he realizes he's blessed to spend his formative years in Northern Alberta

Insanely fast, insanely skilled, great shot, better passer, insane vision, leadership, intangibles, etc. etc. Basically Sidney Crosby but bigger and faster, but with perhaps a touch less vision. An instant franchise player. There's really nothing more that needs to be said about McDavid. Easily the best prospect to enter the league since Sidney Crosby, and will be a 100pt+ forward in short order. It'll be a long time before another player even approaching his quality will come along again. The Oilers have a horseshoe wedged up their rear end and magically won the draft lottery (despite having 3 consecutive first overall picks from 2010-2012), so get the right to select him which everyone (except Edmontonians) hates. Even the Oilers can't screw him up, he's that good.

Jack Eichel - C - 6'2 195lbs

He's coming for you Buffalo :wink:

Connor McDavid alone would make the 2015 draft noteworthy, however Jack Eichel makes it one for the ages. Easily the second best prospect to come along since Sidney Crosby, he'd have been a slam dunk first overall pick literally any other year in the last decade. Strong, fast, smart as hell and with a killer shot he's everything you want in a power forward. Think Ryan Getzlaf but faster and with a better shot. At the age of 18 he put up numbers in college you see from a 23 year old maybe once a decade. He's arguably the best American prospect ever. Buffalo were putrid all year and (despite not winning the draft lottery) get the ultimate consolation prize.

Because of their already mythical status and the fact they're draft eligible in the same year, these two guys are going to be compared to each other for their entire careers. Both are incredible prospects and both will almost certainly win multiple cups (just not with the Oilers please god). Think Ovechkin vs. Crosby in 2006 in terms of manufactured media narrative, and that's what Oilers/Sabres games are going to be like for the foreseeable future.

These two picks are going to be super boring. Unless you want to see the painful image of McDavid being forced to put on an Oilers jersey, I suggest not bothering to tune in for the first 30 minutes.

Everyone else not named McDavid or Eichel

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761663

The CSS North American "rankings" go as follows:

1. Connor McDavid - C - 6'1 195lbs
2. Jack Eichel - C - 6'2" 195lbs
3. Noah Hanfin - D - 6'3 205lbs
4. Dylan Strome - C - 6'3 185lbs
5. Lawson Crouse - LW - 6'4" 215lbs :lol:
6. Mitch Marner - C - 5'11" 160lbs
7. Ivan Provorov - D - 6'0 200lbs
8. Pavel Zacha - C - 6'3 210lbs
9. Zach Werenski - D - 6'2 205lbs
10. Timo Meier - RW - 6'1 210lbs
11. Matthew Barzal - C - 5'11 175lbs
12. Jakub Zboril - D - 6'1 185lbs
13. Kyle Connor - LW - 6'1 175lbs
14. Travis Konecny - C - 5'10 175lbs
15. Jansen Harkins - C - 6'1 180lbs
16. Thomas Chabot - D - 6'1 180lbs
17. Evgeny Svechnikov - LW - 6'2 200lbs
18. Filip Chlapik - C - 6'1 195lbs
19. Jake DeBrusk - LW - 6'0 190lbs
20. Daniel Sprong - RW - 6'0 180lbs
21. Jeremy Rony - D - 6'0 190lbs
22. Noah Juulsen - D - 6'2 175lbs
23. Nic Merkley - RW - 5'10 190lbs
24. Ryan Pilon - D - 6'2 205lbs
25. Brandon Carlo - D - 6'5 195lbs (even more :lol:)
26. Paul Bittner - LW - 6'4 205lbs
27. Brock Boeser - RW - 6;0 190lbs
28. Thomas Novak - C - 6'0 180lbs
29. Colin White - C - 6'0 - 180lbs
30. Dennis Yan - LW - 6'1 185lbs

International Rankings (There are basically no big name Europeans this year)

1. Mikko Rantanen - RW - 6'3 210lbs
2. Gabriel Carlsson - D - 6'4 185lbs
3. Jacob Larsson - D - 6'2 190lbs
4. Joel Eriksson Ek - C 6'2 180lbs
5. Michael Spacek - RW - 5'11 190lbs
6. Oliver Kylington - D - 6'0 180lbs

McKeen's Rankings

ISS Top 30
THN Top 30 (from January they've changed a bit since then. I recommend their draft preview guide, it's $5 and pretty good for quick summaries of players).
NHL Rankings by location

1st ROUND ORDER

1. Edmonton Oilers
2. Buffalo Sabres
3. Arizona Coyotes
4. Toronto Maple Leafs
5. Carolina Hurricanes
6. New Jersey Devils
7. Philadelphia Flyers
8. Columbus Blue Jackets
9. San Jose Sharks
10. Colorado Avalanche
11. Florida Panthers
12. Dallas Stars
13. Los Angeles Kings
14. Boston Bruins
15. Calgary Flames
16. Edmonton Oilers (from Pittsburgh)
17. Winnipeg Jets
18. Ottawa Senators
19. Detroit Red Wings
20. Minnesota Wild
21. Buffalo Sabres (from NY Islanders)
22. Washington Capitals
23. Vancouver Canucks
24. Toronto Maple Leafs (from Nashville Predators)
25. Winnipeg Jets (from St. Louis via Buffalo
26. Montreal Canadiens
27. Anaheim Ducks
28. Tampa Bay Lightning (from NY Rangers)
29. TBD
30. TBD

The last two spots belong to the Philadelphia Flyers (from the Tampa Bay Lightning) and the Arizona Coyotes (from the Chicago Blackhawks). Whoever wins the Stanley cup with be slotted 30th, the runner up will pick 29th.

e: I had who owned what screwed up for the last 4 picks there, thanks mentholmoose

e2: and I got another one wrong. Thanks Furnaceface. I'm on FIYAH!

NOTABLE DRAFT WEEKEND TRADES

TBD

TV OPTIONS

The first round takes place at 7pm EST on Sportsnet and NBCSN. This is Sportsnet's first year doing it taking over from TSN, and they'll be going with their usual terrible crew. If you're Canadian, try and watch it on NBCSN as they'll have Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and creepy old Pierre McGuire (aka the actually interesting folks)

Time to start sperging about prospects and yelling about size folks!

BTW my draft crush this year is Anthony Beauvillier. 94 points in 67 games and named one of the two captains of the CHL top prospects game (the other was McDavid who is 6 months older than him). I seriously have no idea why he's not getting top 10 hype. Most people have him pegged for the early 2nd round because he's 5'11.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

:smugdog::pipe:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Has Kylington fallen all the way into the second round?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

Yes, although that's the the CSS North American rankings. I'll edit in the European rankings as well (this is not a draft for players playing outside NA except for Miko Rantanen)

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

tofes posted:

I doubt that happens at the actual draft. He seems to 'toolsy' I'm hoping the Jets can draft him at 25

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

I doubt that happens at the actual draft. He seems to 'toolsy' I'm hoping the Jets can draft him at 25

I don't really follow European prospects (as they play on the other side of the world and I'm lazy), but from what I've read he's an oustanding skater with a lot of issues on the defensive side of things. I value skating for defencemen pretty highly, so I figure positioning and breakout passes can be taught. He's certainly not a surefire first rounder though. He struggled this season and didn't stand out at any international tournaments. He's a classic slider, and there's usually a good reason for that.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
also I hope someone takes a late round flyer on one vladimir tkachev

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Honestly I'd like to see the Sharks trade down from 9th and pick up at least 1 or 2 more picks in the first 3 rounds. There's a lot of talent outside the top 10 this year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Eichel would be a slam dunk #1 over Tavares.

I'm more curious about the 3/4 of course. Will Phoenix go for the winger, the center, or some kind of D (nope). I think Strome turns out the best, so I'm hoping they take him and keep him out of Toronto. Or that Toronto takes Crouse at the 4 spot.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

There's a lot of talent outside the top 10 this year.

I'm not sure there is. The top 5 is great (Marner and Strome would be 1st or 2nd overall picks in many other years), but it falls off a shelf there and then again at 15 or so. The late first round really isn't that good this year, although there are some players that are ranked in the second round I feel are far better than you'd think.

2013 was much much deeper, it just didn't have the same top end talent. It's miles ahead of 2014 though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I hope the Caps draft another Swedish forward. I want all the Swedish forwards.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bregor posted:

Eriksson Ek is ranked around 22 and is basically a big defensive centre with intangibles. Sounds like a Cap to me!

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think Eichel would be a slam dunk #1 over Tavares.

Maybe not quite slam dunk, but 1.8ppg college aged teenagers are much less common than 2ppg CHLers.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ThinkTank posted:

Eriksson Ek is ranked around 22 and is basically a big defensive centre with intangibles. Sounds like a Cap to me!

Swedish Jay Beagle? :smugdog: :sweden:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I'm not sure there is. The top 5 is great (Marner and Strome would be 1st or 2nd overall picks in many other years), but it falls off a shelf there and then again at 15 or so. The late first round really isn't that good this year, although there are some players that are ranked in the second round I feel are far better than you'd think.

2013 was much much deeper, it just didn't have the same top end talent. It's miles ahead of 2014 though.

I agree the top 5 is a step above the rest but I can't say I think the talent drops midway in the round at all. Guys like Sprong, Merkley, Roy, and others have a real good chance to become impact top 6/top 4 NHL players.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Leafs are gonna pick Lawson Crouse and it will rule

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

checksin posted:

This is going to be the one thing to watch for on draft night

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

checksin posted:

With Mark Hunter at the helm, you will be disappointed as he will surely pick Mitch Marner.

Thought it will be funny when the Flyers select Crouse to go with their other towering meatheads.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I don't follow the juniors or college level at all, but I assume Crouse and the other asterisked player in that OP list are just picking up free points by playing with McDavid or Eichel like that dude who road Lemieux's coattails 30 years ago?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

kalensc posted:

I don't follow the juniors or college level at all, but I assume Crouse and the other asterisked player in that OP list are just picking up free points by playing with McDavid or Eichel like that dude who road Lemieux's coattails 30 years ago?

They are SIZE AND INTANGIBLES players

Crouse is 6'4" and had 51pts in 56 games (aka not good for a draft year), but someone compared him to Lucic so to the top 10 he goes! The Projection Project (which finds similar players based on NHL equivalency) estimates he has a 58% chance of busting entirely, and of the 33 similar players it found exactly two were of any value. He'll be a bottom six forward unless the stars align. With that said, I don't think he's the worst prospect on earth. I certainly wouldn't take him in the top 20 though.

Brandon Carlo is even worse. He's 6'5" and brings absolutely nothing to the table in terms of offence (25pts in 63 games). Every profile I've read of him mentions "reach" and mentions he struggles at skating. The projection project estimates he has a 78% chance of busting with 1 of the 49 players it found categorized as a top pairing defenceman. If you want a 2% chance of drafting an all world shutdown guy then go nuts, more likely you have a bottom pairing physical defenceman who will bounce around the league before heading to Switzerland at 28. He's a relic of another time.

The Canucks will somehow draft both of them, I just know it.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
EliteProspects is good for a lot of info. Their draft center page has several different rankings including ISS and McKeen's. Lawson Crouse is a top 10 everywhere but down a little outside CSS and ISS.

kalensc posted:

I don't see any other asterisks. Crouse plays on a completely different team than McDavid; he's only on the list because he's big. Dylan Strome played with McDavid but has proven himself in the eyes of several scouts.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, Crouse is a very different story. He's a guy who passes the eye test with flying colours, but doesn't pass the production test.

Pronmann has a good article on him here.

For what it's worth, I think the odds of Crouse being a quality NHL player are very high. He's just not got the top line ceiling you're hoping for from a top 5, or maybe even top 10, pick. There's something to be said for taking the guy with a high floor though.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

kalensc posted:

crouse is a big dude who hasn't put up particularly good numbers in juniors yet has been consistently high on draft boards

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Bregor posted:

Careful what you wish for, that's how you end up drafting Anton Gustafsson one slot before Eberle.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Michael Spacek related to good ol' Jaroslav in anyway?

Someone tell me about Provorov and Werenski as they're probably the Flyers options if they want D. I saw Werenski a couple times and I didn't think he was all that good, though that may be because Michigan is a literal dumpster fire when playing Penn State.

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 26, 2015

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
FYI the Flyers have the Lightning's 1st round pick this year as part of the Coburn trade, and the Lightning have the Ranger's pick as part of the St. Louis trade.

Hextall had better take Provorov or Werenski with the 7th pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

^^^
Fixed, thanks!

DOOP posted:

Is Michael Spacek related to good ol' Jaroslav in anyway?

Not as far as I'm aware, it's a moderately common czech name (e.g. Sissy Spacek). Elite prospects lists familial relations for players, and Michael Spacek doesn't have any.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 26, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
As for the player who everyone is tracking, NHLCS has Hayden McCool ranked as the #147 North American skater.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I hope the Leafs do something dumb on draft day.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

yellowcar posted:

I hope the Leafs do something dumb on draft day.

Trade their first for Crawford. Saving us from cap hell

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want the Bruins to get Barzal or Connor. Werenski or Provorov would be nice too if either fell to 14, but I doubt they will.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah, Crouse is a very different story. He's a guy who passes the eye test with flying colours, but doesn't pass the production test.

Pronmann has a good article on him here.

For what it's worth, I think the odds of Crouse being a quality NHL player are very high. He's just not got the top line ceiling you're hoping for from a top 5, or maybe even top 10, pick. There's something to be said for taking the guy with a high floor though.

I was on board with everything until "If Team Canada selected someone he must be good" because that's pretty demonstrably untrue and also somewhat circular in reasoning.

Like, I really like Pronman overall but Team Canada has also valued terrible goalies, Freddy Gauthier, and grinders like Della Rovere and Patrice Cormier in the past. Crouse is likely doing something right, but I can't agree with a strategy that would take a high-floor safety pick top-10 in a draft that's supposed to be pretty skilled overall. Leafs draft history is weighing pretty severely on my thinking fwiw.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
but you see, you can't teach size.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

fits posted:

but you see, you can't teach size.

Tyler Biggs' AHL scoring actually went down in this year, but his PIMs shot way up! Good thing the Leafs traded up under the logic that his floor was a surefire NHL bottom sixer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Canada picks guys like Gauthier and such when they're older though. His age is a factor there. Also, Crouse's scoring isn't horrible. Its enough to say with some confidence he won't be a PPG guy, but not to say he can't produce at the NHL level.

The leafs picking him at 4 would be nuts, but if you're taking him at around 7 or 8 I don't think it's an obviously bad pick. Some of these skill guys aren't going to turn out either, and D are a bit more of a crapshoot.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Not sure if this means crap since dmen take longer to develop than Fs, but Hanifin has committed to coming back to BC next year, so he won't be on a roster next year.

Also, opinions on Mackenzie Blackwood? He looks like the top ranked goalie and is a 1st half of 2nd round projection.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I read somewhere that Provorov is the only D that might be NHL ready next year.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

Tyler Biggs' AHL scoring actually went down in this year, but his PIMs shot way up! Good thing the Leafs traded up under the logic that his floor was a surefire NHL bottom sixer.

Draft nightmares of the Sutter era in Calgary. Every year, Darryl picked a guy in the first round that everyone said would be a sure-fire NHLer at the very least; next to none of them even lived up to that.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I want the Bruins to get Barzal or Connor. Werenski or Provorov would be nice too if either fell to 14, but I doubt they will.

Crouse is going to fall to 14th and he's going to be a rich man's Tom Wilson.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

tofes posted:

I read somewhere that Provorov is the only D that might be NHL ready next year.

Werenski looks pretty ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

I don't really follow European prospects (as they play on the other side of the world and I'm lazy), but from what I've read he's an oustanding skater with a lot of issues on the defensive side of things. I value skating for defencemen pretty highly, so I figure positioning and breakout passes can be taught. He's certainly not a surefire first rounder though. He struggled this season and didn't stand out at any international tournaments. He's a classic slider, and there's usually a good reason for that.

from what ive heard from the rare person thats watched him is that he's basically the exact same player he was last year, but a year older somehow. no growth to his game in any dimension

• Locked thread