Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nice to see, but man are his explanations for what constitutes a player type weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Good news everyone, almost all of the top 120 are likely to be top 4 defensemen or top 6 forwards, many with "Cerebral" or even "Very Cerebral" offensive talent.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Good news everyone, almost all of the top 120 are likely to be top 4 defensemen or top 6 forwards, many with "Cerebral" or even "Very Cerebral" offensive talent.

I figured it's more of a scale of play style than like above average or something. As in 'very cerebral' means relies almost exclusively on hockey IQ and 'very forceful' would be a guy who just tries to physically outmatch people all the time. It's not a good system, but it sorta made sense.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Cool it's 200 000 words written by Joe from Burlington

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If Kylington falls to 33 I'll be pretty shocked. And if he's there if he's there at 15 and Calgary doesn't draft him, I'll be kinda annoyed. I could actually see Burke trying to talk Treliving into picking Lawson Crouse.

"He's like Michael Ferland, but better!"

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I don't think Calgary getting Crouse at #15 would be a bad thing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I don't think Calgary getting Crouse at #15 would be a bad thing.

I don't think it's what Calgary needs. I think they either need to shore up their D or find an offensively gifted guy. If they grab a forward I'd prefer Shlachnikov or Matt Barzal if they can make it happen.

Also, Doug Wilson is listening for offers for the 9th pick http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771527

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If Barzal falls to 15 you take him and run, but that's just not going to happen.

Also never draft for "need." The team will change over the however many years it takes for whoever Calgary takes to make the NHL, and players can never be blocked like they could in the NBA.

teamjack
Apr 1, 2010

Only Judy can judge me.
WWJD.
Agreed. Barzal doesn't make it out of the top 10.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jordan7hm posted:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1903817

HFBoards, but a very detailed draft analysis. The guy's writing is sub-par, but his analysis isn't.

He seems to value floor a lot higher than most of us here, so I wouldn't be shocked if some of his thoughts were reflected in the actual draft (I think teams value floor too much).

his analysis is pretty poo poo. he just put a lot of effort into it

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Verviticus posted:

his analysis is pretty poo poo. he just put a lot of effort into it

Agreed. Some of these are kind of puzzling. This analysis of Filip ahl sounds like typical bad scouting rhetoric:

"defensive zone buy-in will need to be higher to fully take advantage of his physical tools"

What does that even mean? I think it means the writer watched something like this video below and didn't really understand the style/level of hockey being played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B636_zYeO8

I like what I see here, and he's ranked a couple spots past the Rangers second round pick. I wonder if they see him as potentially being of the same Swedish defensively-savvy forward style as Hagelin and Fast. He's physically big enough to make the jump to the North American pro/jr style immediately, and he looked very aggressive as a penalty killer in the wider/longer defensive zone. Good on the boards too.

That's my speculation for my team's first pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In continued intangibles news, Lawson Crouse just hit one out of the park at Miami Marlins batting practice.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
first overall

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Projection Project released its own rankings based on its own formulas and it's uh... a bit different from the CSS'

http://www.theprojectionproject.com/blog/2015/06/24/the-big-list-ranking-the-2015-draft-by-probability-of-success/

However, it does reinforce the idea that Anthony Richard is the most criminally underrated player in this draft for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Actually, according to that list, someone named Gabe Bast is the most criminally underrated player. From 500th to 10th in the rankings.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
that list owns and it's going to be fun to track the next several years

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like that Svechnikov ranks higher on that list. Kind of reflects what I think about him, since IMO he's pretty great and maybe suffers from the "Is Russian" stigma. I'm not sure about the rest of it though. It'd be interesting to follow over the next few seasons, although I'll probably forget about. Out of curiosity, do you have links handy for past drafts, if they've done them?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It'd be interesting to follow over the next few seasons, although I'll probably forget about. Out of curiosity, do you have links handy for past drafts, if they've done them?

The projection project is relatively new, so I don't think they've done anything outside of this year. Hopefully they do some retroactive stuff to test their hypothesis.

Mitch vande Somple is high on their list which is cool too. He put up great numbers as a blueliner playing on a stacked Oshawa team. He's unique in that he's a defenceman most of the time, but a forward on the PK. He's one of those players that I'd easily use a good pick on simply because he's already so versatile. If he doesn't make it as a defenceman, he's already had a lot of experience as a defensive foward.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Twin Cinema posted:

Actually, according to that list, someone named Gabe Bast is the most criminally underrated player. From 500th to 10th in the rankings.

His name is basically Bust, avoid at all costs

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
ive never met a person named "gabe" that wasnt a huge jerk, he'll probably be a wonderful hockey player

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vicas posted:

His name is basically Bust, avoid at all costs

I've always enjoyed that Michael Busto, a throw in part of the McDonaugh-Gomez trade, was fittingly a complete bust.

whatis posted:

ive never met a person named "gabe" that wasnt a huge jerk, he'll probably be a wonderful hockey player

This is a very good point.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

How is Crouse ahead of Rantanen in most mock drafts? They're both big wingers, and while Crouse uses his size more, Rantanen has very good hockey IQ, has been playing against men for a year now (while not looking out of place) and has outscored Crouse about 2 to 1 in junior tournaments.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

How is Crouse ahead of Rantanen in most mock drafts? They're both big wingers, and while Crouse uses his size more, Rantanen has very good hockey IQ, has been playing against men for a year now (while not looking out of place) and has outscored Crouse about 2 to 1 in junior tournaments.

Crouse's high ranking has been a bit of a mystery all year. He's a bit of a tools pick, but he's getting good reports from competent not-idiot types and not just BIG BODY PRESENCE YOU CAN'T TEACH SIZE so v:shobon:v

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really hoping Rantanen falls to Dallas, two-way Finnish forwards are the best things in life.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Crouse also has scouts saying dumb crap like "He's a candidate to wear a C some day" which somehow never seems to get said about Europeans...

Some of my wariness over Crouse is this Luke Schenn vibe where scouts seem to have fallen in love with him as a person in their projections. That's great and all, but probably not top-10 great.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Happy Conner McDavid Day everyone.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Happy Conner McDavid Day everyone.

Connor McDay-vid

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
So what's gonna be Connor's equivalent to Sid the Kid gonna be? We need something catchy, STAT

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

If someone has Insider, do they mind posting the list of his rankings of the top-30 prospects of the past 3 years? I want to see where Strome/Hanifin/Marner rank.

You can post the list, just not his write-ups.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Vicas posted:

So what's gonna be Connor's equivalent to Sid the Kid gonna be? We need something catchy, STAT

Con le Bon
Condor McDavid
Connie McFly
Big C
C McD
Little Bitch
Hockey Kid

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Vicas posted:

McJesus

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Vicas posted:

Connor MD, along with dr. drai and nurse here to heal the oilers

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

fits posted:

Connor MD, along with dr. drai and nurse here to heal the oilers

Hahahah oh my god, I can already hear Emrick cheekily saying "The Doctor Is In"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

If someone has Insider, do they mind posting the list of his rankings of the top-30 prospects of the past 3 years? I want to see where Strome/Hanifin/Marner rank.

You can post the list, just not his write-ups.

McDavid
MacKinnon
Eichel
Drouin
Jones

Ekblad
Barkov
Reinhart
Nichushkin
Bennett

Marner
Strome
Lindholm
Hanifin
Monahan

Nylander
Draisaitl
Ehlers
Shinkaruk
Fiala

Barzal
Dal Colle
Konecny
Werenski
Ristolainen

Svechnikov
Crouse
Kapanen
Ritchie
Domi

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am surprised that MacKinnon is higher than Eichel, and Ekblad is 6th. I have also apparently forgotten the Drouin hype.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Pronman was Drouin superfan #1, and had him first overall that year. These aren't supposed to have the benefit of hindsight, but he did say he has adjusted his rankings where he thinks he made mistakes at the time.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Shinkaruk looks like the most egregious one on there today. Though after seeing him in the WHL I thought he'd be a decent top 6 player.

Soal_Fish
Jul 20, 2004

yes its Soal not Soul but oh well
poo poo I forgot that TSN isn't doing the draft. Who needs Bob McKenzie when you can listen to the insights of Damien Cox and Doug McLean :suicide:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Soal_Fish posted:

poo poo I forgot that TSN isn't doing the draft. Who needs Bob McKenzie when you can listen to the insights of Damien Cox and Doug McLean :suicide:

Uggggghhhhh I didn't know that. I actually kinda like McKenzie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
McKenzie (and Dreger) are working for NBC tonight, so maybe hop over the border?

• Locked thread