Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I have noticed no one made a AGT thread yet, so here goes.

From executive producer Simon Cowell, America's favorite summer reality show is back for season 10 on NBC, premiering on Tuesday May 26th, 8:00 PM EST. For those of you not familiar, it's your standard talent/competition show with celebrity judges that weed out the worst acts for several rounds. After that we go to the live shows where YOU, the home viewer can vote for your favorite act to proceed for 2 hours following each live act. The winner get's $1,000,000. Previous seasons promised a live vegas act, but that does not seem to be the case anymore. Either way, the winner is garunteed plenty of exposure. The 4 judges are back for this season, they are:

Heidi Klum

She's gorgeous, she's a super model, she's german. Somehow this woman has had 4 kids and still looks like that...good for her.

Howard Stern

The self-proclaimed King of All Media is back for his 4th go-around. Since Piers Morgan left, Howard has been the closest thing to the token mean judge, but he definetly has a soft spot. He's also the only actual American judge on America's Got Talent.

Howie Mandel

Remember Bobby's World? Remember blowing up a surgical glove over his head? Canadian comedian Howie Mandel has been around since season 5 and he's still quite charming and quite afraid of germs.

Melaine Brown (Mel B)

The British judge isn't the mean one. Former spice girl (Scary Spice) is back and halfway thru the 1st episode has already found a fan in the form of a middle aged Jewish puppet. Mel typically ends up playing the straight man to the other 3 judges.

And we can't forget our host:

Nick Cannon

Nick Cannon? Who the gently caress Nick Cannon? Fresh off his divorce from Mariah Carey, Nick and his sparkly shoes resume hosting duties. To those who doubt him, check out this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-mULtmf-1M I don't think I need to say anymore.

Past winners:
Season 1 - Bianca Ryan, singer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcEo5H97CLM
Season 2 - Terry Fator, ventriloquist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bL_dBmD_zg
Season 3 - Neal Boyd, singer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=179Mqa1HHe8
Season 4 - Kevin Skinner, county music singer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_IqxxaLs0
Season 5 - Michael Grimm, musician https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArH-jTXxz1M
Season 6 - Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr., lounge singer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u56hqFp3oiE
Season 7 - Olate Dogs, dogs that do GOD drat BACK FLIPS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrqgvvE-Q0M
Season 8 - Kenichi Ebina, dancer (but that title doesn't do him justice) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn-NsWRtaSY
Season 9 - Mat Fanco, magician https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgFLzTNyvrc
Season 10 - maybe YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The stuttering guy isn't even going to end his act with Porky Pig?

Come on man, that would kill.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'm still not sure of the format of this season as far as auditions. I liked it when they would travel the country doing 1 episode in 1 city, now they've condensed into a few shows in what I think are the same locations. I remember someone saying its because Howard Stern wasn't fond of traveling but I'm not sure.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That guy must have actually hypnotized Howie, right? There's no way he would have agreed to all that handshaking even as a setup.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mdemone posted:

That guy must have actually hypnotized Howie, right? There's no way he would have agreed to all that handshaking even as a setup.

Or it's an extremely long, elaborate con by the both of them

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Howie is like a mental illness crazy germaphobe, I don't think he would do anything like that.

I saw this too:

quote:

He's a great sport, but Mandel was not exactly amused by Jones' routine. In fact, back on April 2 at the NBC summer press day, Mandel told a group of reporters that he did go to therapy after that day of shooting because at first, he felt a little "taken advantage of."

"I've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on medication, and in five minutes on 'AGT,' this guy's got me touching everyone," said Mandel at the time. "I was disturbed, but it's kind of amazing to see that I survived it. And I have OCD, which is not a laughing matter, but it says something for the reality of how good hypnotism is and how good he was, and the breadth of the things that are happening. You will see things this year you have never seen before."

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I felt like they burned way too much time on the silly muppet segment.

The nerd trio of singers was super good and I look forward to hearing what spins they can put on pop music. I could probably listen to them sing all night. I love harmonies like that.

Any idea why they're not allowed to show hypnotism on TV? Is that a network rule or something else?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
My guess would be they view it as a liability. They don't want random viewers at home falling under hypnosis. I think what is closer to reality is they did it to add dramatic tones.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'll buy it as being real. While on a cruise ship, my wife volunteered to be hypnotized during a stage act and it definitely worked on her. He made her and about a dozen other people on stage drive an imaginary car and act like they were sitting on thumb tacks and she didn't remember any of it. I asked the entertainment director if it was going to be played on their closed circuit tv (like some of their musicals and comedians) and she said they weren't allowed. It's definitely a fascinating phenomenon that doesn't affect everyone as I remember sitting in the audience and wondering how is this supposed to work. I also think that it may have been edited for time because hypnosis takes way longer than the 90 seconds that an act typically gets.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Various thoughts on the episode:

*I love how their montage of acts from the previous seasons was missing a lot of the singers like Boyd and Grimm. Its almost like they were ashamed of being like Idol.
*What was up with the puppet. They were trying to have a moment with a goddamn puppet. WHY
*PIFF THE MAGIC DRAGON :neckbeard:
*Guitar guy reminded me a bit of Rob Thomas. We'll see where he goes, but no singerz plz.
*The Japanese group might be worth watching, thye seemed to have an interesting act.
*The stuttering kids sou ds like hes been through a lot, and bravo to him for getting past his accident, but I hope he can deliver material that doesnt play off of his stuttering

Welcome back AGT.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Not many people like America's Got Talent here, but I enjoy seeing the unique acts that pop up. Also the the current set of four judges are the best group since season four. I didn't see the first three seasons, but saw the rest, and the bickering got kind of annoying in the past. Heidi, Mel, Howard, and Howie can be a bit goofy, but can be funny to watch. The only thing I have against Nick Cannon was "Make some noise..." Seems that he backed off a bit on that last season, so hopefully that will continue.

Genres of acts I hate:
- Solo singers - Rare exception would be people like Prince Poppycock
- Magic - Sleight of hand type stuff is ok, Illusion = bad / Skill = good
- Stand up comedy - There are exceptions, such as Piff The Magic Dragon, or the dude who trolled Heidi Klum a couple seasons ago.
- Kids acting stupid on stage
- Solo instrumental - Lots of pianists and occasionally other stuff, yuk.
- Solo dancing - Kenichi Ebina type stuff I really like, but I thought his audition sucked.
- Pet acts - Yes, Olate Dogs would be the rare exception

Genres of acts I look forward to:
-Various group dancing
-Group singing - Think acappella type stuff or good choirs
-Group instrumental
-Gymnastic shows of skill - Solo acts are boring, but two or more can potentially be way more interesting
-Comedy skits - Yes, I enjoyed watching that dude whose shtick was to get repeatedly hit in the nuts in creative ways

Audition 1 of season 10 was okay. Looking forward to seeing what Triple Threat (3 nerd singers) and Siro-A (Japanese group) can do. Runners up go to the various group dancers and gymnasts that didn't get much air time. Talents that I'm looking forward to leaving the competition - Elin and Noah (kids acting stupid on stage to the MC Hammer poo poo), Johnny Shelton (mediocre solo singer with a pity story), Drew Lynch (Stand up comedy somehow while studdering + plus pity story)

ijii fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 29, 2015

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stuttering guy was real life Jimmy from South Park.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I guess the blind dancer was this week's sob story. I don't particularly like solo dance acts (the exception being Kenichi) but his was mediocre through and through.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
The all-lady dance group they showed early on was pretty great.

Otherwise, I can't think of much that stuck out to me this week. The light-projection dance that was at the end reminded me way too much of the one they had last season, but it was still fun to watch and I can't imagine how much more awesome it would've looked live.

Also, I swear I've seen regurgitation guy somewhere before, years and years ago, the sugar trick and everything. I can't for the life of me remember where, though. Hell, I think I even remember sitting down and watching it with my parents or something, which would've put it in the 80s or 90s.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

xov posted:

The all-lady dance group they showed early on was pretty great.

Otherwise, I can't think of much that stuck out to me this week. The light-projection dance that was at the end reminded me way too much of the one they had last season, but it was still fun to watch and I can't imagine how much more awesome it would've looked live.

Also, I swear I've seen regurgitation guy somewhere before, years and years ago, the sugar trick and everything. I can't for the life of me remember where, though. Hell, I think I even remember sitting down and watching it with my parents or something, which would've put it in the 80s or 90s.

I was trying to figure that out too. He's been on a lot of stuff such as Leno, Letterman, Fallon, and even Howard Stern's show in the 90's. He's also been on the British, German, Czek, Italian, and French versions of [Country]'s got Talent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_Starr

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Mariachi girl got some pipes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I wish I could say I was surprised they let Old Lady Dancer through, but... I'm really not. I mean, yeah, she dances like a woman 40 years younger, but that's still slow-rear end old lady dancing and if they actually pity them into the live show, they're gonna get turfed in the first round. Can we drop the pretense and just send the no-hopers home gently? Why is that too much to ask?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I hated that old lady dancer, not because she was bad (and I'm sure she was great for being 96) but because it was obviously a gimmick act and that would wear thin real soon. At that age there is a very real possibility she won't be alive to see the season finale.

I've noticed over the last few seasons they've been toning down the amount of terrible 4 X acts during the auditions to the point where we only get a couple an episode, like the karaoke girls.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My biggest problem with this show, is how boring the judges have become.

Howie went form being my least favorite judge to the best judge because he's the only one who will dissent even if he's just trolling (and this still got shoved into a 5 minute montage mid episode).

I need an angry british man to yell at someone.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Finally got around to watching this weeks episode. I don't think I'd have put through base jumper and ladder guy, but pyro boy was unique enough in its stupidity I'd be willing to watch it again.

The water surfer looked fun as hell, but that was clearly the richest white guy hobby in existence, and I have no frame of reference for whether that was good or not other than it looked cool.

I enjoyed the extra time dedicated to outdoor acts, it's a nice change of pace and you know they are all competent because I'm sure it takes the crew at least an hour just to set up something like 2 upright buses.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'll be honest, this season has felt like a chore to keep up on. I find myself DVRing the entire thing just to fast forward through the wacky Howie Mandel hijinks. I can't tell if there is a significant drop in the talent that auditions or if the directing of each episode makes if feel that way. I'm assuming that since I had to dig several pages back in the TV IV subforum just to revive this thread I'm not the only one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

My biggest problem with this show, is how boring the judges have become.

Howie went form being my least favorite judge to the best judge because he's the only one who will dissent even if he's just trolling (and this still got shoved into a 5 minute montage mid episode).

I need an angry british man to yell at someone.

This is an old post, but last night's episode did just announce they're bringing Piers back as a guest judge.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lifts cats over head posted:

I'll be honest, this season has felt like a chore to keep up on. I find myself DVRing the entire thing just to fast forward through the wacky Howie Mandel hijinks. I can't tell if there is a significant drop in the talent that auditions or if the directing of each episode makes if feel that way. I'm assuming that since I had to dig several pages back in the TV IV subforum just to revive this thread I'm not the only one.

This is exactly how I feel.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I have no idea why this would be, but it feels like breaking up the audition episodes so they're thrown together by a theme or whatever, instead of doing them by city, have made the last two seasons' auditions less interesting to watch.

Also, I haven't seen every audition this season, but could it be? Are we finally free of our longstanding national nightmare of creepy Puerto Rican child dance acts?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I have no idea why this would be, but it feels like breaking up the audition episodes so they're thrown together by a theme or whatever, instead of doing them by city, have made the last two seasons' auditions less interesting to watch.

Also, I haven't seen every audition this season, but could it be? Are we finally free of our longstanding national nightmare of creepy Puerto Rican child dance acts?

In the final round, before they can claim their million dollars, the last remaining act will have to defeat ALL the dancing Puerto Ricans in a grueling battle of talent, as judged by America.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

lifts cats over head posted:

I've been watching a couple days afterwards. I kind of feel the same way, with all my fast-forwarding of commercials, intro packages, and uninteresting banter I find myself getting thru the 2 hours in less than 1. However, I don't want to give up on it because it's one of the few shows that my wife and I can watch together since we have different tastes in...well everything.

Anyway...raw egg guy. I am equally disgusted and intrigued to see what else he can eat...maybe a bag of flour and sugar to complete the cake.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
drat, no bumps in 2 weeks. Have you guys just completely checked out?

Well, the dumb puppet act got put through, so maybe.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Puppet act sucked, hypnosis guy crashing and burning was amazing, the comedian forgetting his/her lines was awful, and the con man magician not getting through was ridiculous.

Show sucks.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

xov posted:

drat, no bumps in 2 weeks. Have you guys just completely checked out?

Well, the dumb puppet act got put through, so maybe.

Partially. I've also been posting less because everyone else has checked out. I didn't watch all of last nights yet but I'm hoping the blind dancer didn't get trough. Maybe it makes me sound like a terrible person, but a sob story and mediocre dancing isn't worth a million dollar act.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But his vision!

He's so blind he can't even see his own tears!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I think a lot of people have already said what needs to be said - this year the acts are boring as poo poo and honestly I can't feel too excited about any of them.

My money is on Piff. He's the only act I can say I looked forward to seeing perform.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Ehud posted:

the con man magician not getting through was ridiculous.

To be honest, not only was that about the easiest trick in the world to figure out, it was also completely anti-climactic. I don't understand why so many of the magicians don't understand that stage isn't an appropriate place to do card magic. I mean if the first thing you have to do after getting on stage is climb down from the stage then that should be your first clue.

Piff handles his smaller magic well by compensating with his personality and humor, but I hope he does something bigger next time.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

My money is on Piff. He's the only act I can say I looked forward to seeing perform.
Piff is alright but he's one of those acts that have been around for a while, like when AGT tried to paint Wendy Leibman as some up and coming comedian still waiting for that big break last year. I saw Piff on an episode of Penn & Teller's Fool Us which was taped in the UK where he did the same act as his first audition for AGT. I'm almost sure I've seen him elsewhere as well

Metalachi is the act to watch for. They only got a brief fly by cameo for their first audition but I've seen these guys many many times live and they seriously rock my calcetines. The show needs to showcase the Metalachi guys because what they are doing is awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Myq Kaplan is also on this season, and he's been doing comedy since 2008 and was even a Last Comic Standing finalist a few years ago.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
One of the singers is a Grammy winner, or at least a nominee.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I didn't watch all of last nights yet but I'm hoping the blind dancer didn't get trough. Maybe it makes me sound like a terrible person, but a sob story and mediocre dancing isn't worth a million dollar act.

You already know how this turns out.

My favorite thing was the hypnosis guy not only crashing and burning, but getting really obviously bitchy with the judges about it as his act was falling apart and he was clearly terrible. I feel last episode could have been way better had we stuck around with him for comments from the judges. Or, at least, something bitter could have balanced out the saccharine of "You didn't really dance all that well, but you're INSPIRING!"

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Clamknuckle posted:

One of the singers is a Grammy winner, or at least a nominee.

Having that actually be true is one thing, but the way he just blabbed on and on about it I'm sure made everyone watching think "what the hell are YOU doing on this show? You got your chance and you blew it. Go away."

xov fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 27, 2015

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

xov posted:

Having that actually be true is one thing, but the way he just blabbed on and on about it I'm sure made everyone watching thing "what the hell are YOU doing on this show? You got your chance and you blew it. Go away."

Thankfully that's what happened.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I agree that this season has been a little less spectacular than previous seasons, but it's still a good show in my opinion, and loads better than any singing-only competition.

I think the judges mostly had it right on the first "Judges' Cut" episode with NPH (But I would have put through the Xtreme Tricking and Tumbling over the Chapkis Dance Family). But this second Cut episode I think they were way off. WHY THE gently caress did the stupid puppets go through?!?! It's the shittiest gimmick act I've seen in a long time and the 'in love with Mel B' poo poo got old real fast. The only semi-impressive thing was if the puppeteer was actually singing "Let's get it on", but it sounded like a track playing that he was 'lip-syncing' the puppet to.
I didn't really want Benjamin, the blind dancing kid to go through either. I get it, it's an inspirational, sad story; he'll probably get lots of votes. But even factoring in his age and handicap, his dancing was merely good, not great.
In my opinion magician Aiden St. Clair should have had one of those spots.
It was also fun/tragic watching acts crash and burn (literally, in the case of Dr. Danger's daredevil rejects). I thought the hypnotist Chris Jones should have prefaced his act with a lot of "not everyone can be hypnotized, lets see if we have as much luck as we had Howie". It was also super hilarious when Michael Buble was trolling him on-stage. And I felt so bad for Scott the bearded lady comic. I felt if she had gotten to perform earlier she would have done better, rather than sitting backstage until almost the end getting more and more nervous.

What I really miss is a few years ago when they would do this judges' cut in Las Vegas, and the acts would only perform in front of the judges, without a massive audience. It really separated the acts who are really talented from the ones getting by on audience enthusiasm.

I'm also hoping that they don't do a lame "For this final performance, do a remix of one you've already done", which usually never really adds anything.

I'm also really sick of Howie Mandel. He is the worst, most unfunny judge. He has terrible taste in acts, usually becomes obsessed with some lame gimmick act, like a guy getting hit in the nuts, and always has these bizarre 'behind-the-scenes' montages of him being stupid backstage. What the gently caress was up with that Cat singlet? Does Mel B have a hatred of cats, or was he just being loving weird (both?) Howard Stern is obviously the best judge (too bad this is his last season), and Heidi and Mel B add nothing to the show, they could be replaced by cardboard cutouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

King of Foolians posted:

He has terrible taste in acts, usually becomes obsessed with some lame gimmick act, like a guy getting hit in the nuts

You shut your mouth! Horse was amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqxLDoe6BnI

• Locked thread