Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xov posted:

Having that actually be true is one thing, but the way he just blabbed on and on about it I'm sure made everyone watching thing "what the hell are YOU doing on this show? You got your chance and you blew it. Go away."

Yeah, that was insane. "Then I got my second nomination, and the year after that my third but I didn't win!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
What the hell ... cant believe the ventriloquis with the baby got through with a golden buzzer, that poo poo was terrible. I don't get the judges some of these acts they keep lauding are very very bad.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Meowbot posted:

What the hell ... cant believe the ventriloquis with the baby got through with a golden buzzer, that poo poo was terrible. I don't get the judges some of these acts they keep lauding are very very bad.

I didn't see the end, did the mentalist get through? Because that was awesome. Usually I can make a guess as to how some of those tricks are done, usually by freeze-framing at the right point to see some sleight-of-hand...but I have no idea how he came up with Howie's actor AND movie. If I picked Tom Cruise, Top Gun would not have been the first movie I thought of.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
All of my favorites got through (including the mentalist, though I have a hard time enjoying all that poo poo since I know there's some mechanical trick to it every time). I actually think the ventriloquist is extremely skilled and clever.
I'm old and the only Tom Cruise movie I can think of is Top Gun. I'm sure that plays into the trick. It'd be something else for a 20 year old.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

xov posted:

All of my favorites got through (including the mentalist, though I have a hard time enjoying all that poo poo since I know there's some mechanical trick to it every time). I actually think the ventriloquist is extremely skilled and clever.
I'm old and the only Tom Cruise movie I can think of is Top Gun. I'm sure that plays into the trick. It'd be something else for a 20 year old.

I'm 32 and the first one I'd have said is Mission Impossible. Top Gun was easily his most famous movie, but by no means his only success. If you're going to predict his best movies (commercially, financially, won awards etc) you would have to predict from Top Gun, Cocktail, Risky Business, Mission Impossible, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire. Then if you really want to start reaching you'd get into A Few Good Men, Interview with a vampire (probably my favorite Tom Cruise movie), Days of Thunder. My point is, there are far too many of them to be able to pick Top Gun and have it reliably correct every time, and why I was really impressed with his act.

I remember last season where you had the 2 Starbucks barista mentalists who's name I can't remember. In one of their acts, if you freeze framed at the exact right second you could see one of them flicking a piece of paper out from under their sleeve or something. With this guy - I have no clue what the mechanical trick was.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
When it came to the mentalist (Oz Pearlman), I was more impressed by his making-a-snowflake-out-of-folded-paper trick that ended up looking like Oprah Winfrey. I wanted to take the little pieces he snipped off to see if they would really fit in the places cut out or if he had it prepared beforehand (he totally had to have that ready to go right? if not he should switch from mentalism to paper cutting tricks for his talent).

This episode I thought the judges were pretty much on the right track. I like the Triple Threat guys but I wouldn't have put them through. They're pretty good as an amateur act but any group that's ever been on 'The Sing-Off' can sing circles around them. I would have put through The Squad instead (even with their annoying purple-dreads leader). I also WAY preferred the singer Stacey Kay and her band over the Mountain Faith Band. I grew up with a lot of churchy-bluegrass music so that poo poo is doesn't do anything for me....and I don't think they're that great. Could they pack the pews at a church revival? Sure. But Radio City? We'll see. And I have heard covers and remixes of "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by several artists and it's one song that in my opinion the original version is best. I was also surprised and pleased that the singer Benton Blount went through, that was a killer version of "Jolene". I was certain that Johnny Shelton would go through because he was the sob story this episode (like the blind dancer-kid last episode).

As a guest judge I don't think Marlon Wayans brought much of anything to this episode. It makes sense that as the worst judge, Howie would bring in the worst guest. Look everyone, he's so excited to be here, he's falling asleep at the table! He also managed the worst use of the Golden Buzzer so far: the loving Ventriloquist. I get that ventriloquism is a talent. It requires training and skill. But it's not something that I am entertained by AT ALL. I've always found ventriloquist to be a little creepy and I don't think this guy is doing anything new or different (a criteria that the judges constantly hold other acts to). I especially hate the annoying call and response thing all ventriloquist do (I want a story, a what?, a story, a what?, a story, just die already).

This episode the people I feel the worst for were the two kids at the very end, Cailyn Mathis (the dancer) and Haley "Bulletproof" Glass (karate girl). I didn't think they should have gone through to Radio City, but did both their audition have to be edited down to a one minute montage that was mostly them talking over a few second clips? I know that there isn't enough time to show the full length of every performance (especially ones that aren't that great, I'm looking at you, Hula Hoop guy), but consider that the first six and a half minutes of the show was just the judges arriving and sitting down. And the judges seemed to really like both acts; the karate girl got a standing ovation from all 5 judges! I can only imagine the kids at home with all their friends and family and neighborhood to watch the episode. Sure they didn't move to the next round but let's watch to see how good they did....and all they got was a half-assed montage at the very end of the episode. That's lovely. At least there was enough time to show Marlon and Howie humping a mannequin backstage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mel is the worst judge. She seems to think that as a singer she has to be the harsh judge on singing acts, but she's not exactly a good singer.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I love watching The Regurgitate, but there's no way that's real right? That's got to be a sleight of hand. After he spits up the coins he palms them before he shows them to the camera. I can't even begin to imagine the anatomy required to do something like that legit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah. He's pretty famous already, and his trick is thought to be sleight of hand and some other tricks.

Also having Piers back was great, the show needs a mean judge.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Those asian giuys that got the golden buzzer were amazing! I watched it three times and it just gets so bonkers in the second half I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE_lY3UL1ik

at about 1:33 it just gets ridiculous I was cheering so loudly Ilove this

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

I love watching The Regurgitate, but there's no way that's real right?
The Regurgitate is another of those acts that have been around for a long time, like Wendy Leibman last year. I swear I've seen The Regurgitate do that exact same act he did last night as far back as Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. For sure he was on Letterman's NBC show back in the day swallowing 40 watt light bulbs.

I also think he's legit and really has that kind of control over his stomach muscles and gag reflex. He does another trick were he swallows butane and sand and brings the butane up first to light an open flame and then brings up the sand to snuff it out. I didn't see his audition so he might have done that trick all ready or he's saving it for the Live round.

The Sino-A act is really the one to beat, that group is deffo going deep, Top 3 for sure.

Did Metalachi (the heavy metal mariachi band) get eliminated? I missed an episode or two of the Judge Cuts.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I have been watching, but I need to catch a couple of judge act weeks I missed. I have a feeling Im not going to like some of the results (they let through the puppet? Seriously?) but I should see what acts to expect.

I find it a bit weird though. They let through 28 acts from the judge cuts and four from the auditions, but theyre apparently still doing 12 acts a week? Where are the last four coming from? Also, it would appear at least a couple of the golden buzzer acts will be competing next week. I guess they dont want to make it too obvious who is gettng through, but spead them out a bit at least.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
If they go by that standard, the last 4 will be wild cards that each judge chooses. They have done it year after year, so my guess is that is what it will be.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

King of Foolians posted:

I've always found ventriloquist to be a little creepy

The first act (and I think only act) to win this thing and actually spin it into a legitimate career was a ventriloquist, and I'm pretty sure he's the only guy to actually have the Vegas show they promise the winner, and its still running as far as I know. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone else has done as well as him post-victory. I don't really like ventriloquists either, but it makes sense that other people enjoy it, I guess.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jake Armitage posted:

The first act (and I think only act) to win this thing and actually spin it into a legitimate career was a ventriloquist, and I'm pretty sure he's the only guy to actually have the Vegas show they promise the winner, and its still running as far as I know. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone else has done as well as him post-victory. I don't really like ventriloquists either, but it makes sense that other people enjoy it, I guess.

I was just looking this up and yeah, he's by far the most successful winner. Evanna Lynch has done modestly well since she was on, and is still going, but she wasn't even the winner so she's not really an "AGT Winner Success Story", technically.

A few others have done well enough that they are PROBABLY still making a quiet living as entertainers, like Grimm, but nothing huge.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

XboxPants posted:

Evanna Lynch has done modestly well since she was on, and is still going, but she wasn't even the winner so she's not really an "AGT Winner Success Story", technically.

Luna Lovegood?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Robnoxious posted:

The Regurgitate is another of those acts that have been around for a long time, like Wendy Leibman last year. I swear I've seen The Regurgitate do that exact same act he did last night as far back as Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. For sure he was on Letterman's NBC show back in the day swallowing 40 watt light bulbs.

I also think he's legit and really has that kind of control over his stomach muscles and gag reflex. He does another trick were he swallows butane and sand and brings the butane up first to light an open flame and then brings up the sand to snuff it out. I didn't see his audition so he might have done that trick all ready or he's saving it for the Live round.

The Sino-A act is really the one to beat, that group is deffo going deep, Top 3 for sure.

Did Metalachi (the heavy metal mariachi band) get eliminated? I missed an episode or two of the Judge Cuts.

I'm pretty sure that Stevie Starr's (The regurgitating dude) act is a mixture of slight of hand, gimmicked items, and actually swallowing and bringing stuff back up. It has been said that he has rare birth defect, an atypical heavy wall diverticulum in the upper esophagus which is where he stores the stuff he swallows.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So is everybody ready for the crazy? Now the audience actually has input on who goes through, so expect acts who don't deserve it to get through over your faves!

EDIT: Nice effort from Siro-A to start things off. We might have a lock here. The year of the dsnce acts begins.

Mariachi singer was fine I suppose, though the scale of the background dancers helped things along.

Show the package before the break, show the act after. Great timing there guys.

Vita: Mirror ball plus She Shot Me Down? Who comes up with these combos? Otherwise, I cant say the act wowed me, upper body strength aside.

Triple Threat: Wow, that reponse. And those moves. How much of the boy band aesthetic can be hoisted on the set designers though? Good night guys.

Gentlemen: Kicking it kids. I feel like Siro-A might have ruined all the other acts for the judges though.

Piff: Bit of a letdown by piff here. I feel like I've een that trick before, and a littlr more comedy would have been nice.

Benton: :frogout:

Craig and Micheline: More exciting than Vita IMO.Good shot of getting through.

Jimmy Valmer: Magic Chihuahua? Ah, a Piff joke. Are they clapping because he is funny, or because he finished the joke? (Making fun of a guy with a physical disability, yay~)The punchline with the dog was cute though.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 12, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

J-j-j-jesus... g-g-g-et this st-st-stut-t-t-tering bastard ou-ou-ou-out!

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Robnoxious posted:

J-j-j-jesus... g-g-g-et this st-st-stut-t-t-tering bastard ou-ou-ou-out!

But he's SO INSPIRATIONAL and HE OVERCAME ALL ODDS and HE HAS A LOVING GIRLFRIEND and

I expect hes going to go far in this competition unfortunately. At least his stutter is real, amirite?

Showproject: Acrobatic Chippendales? Nice athletics for sure, but will they be able to expand upon it in later rounds?

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 12, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

somekindofguy posted:

But he's SO INSPIRATIONAL and HE OVERCAME ALL ODDS and HE HAS A LOVING GIRLFRIEND and

I expect hes going to go far in this competition unfortunately. At least his stutter is real, amirite?
Oh, he's going to get the "feel good" bump from America for sure but that won't last forever because he's not that particularly funny, especially compared to the other comedians still in the mix.

I dunno how to feel about the puppet act because this show gave us Terry Fator and to a lesser extent Jeff Dunham. The act was okay but was full of pandering fluff "Hello New York! BABABOOIE!"

Glory Note Whore will get through... they always do.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 12, 2015

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
:aaa: Okay, great freaking work on the puppet. Let that man through.

I hope whoever came up with that Europe cover of California Dreamin' shits their bed tonight. WHAT DID WAVES HAVE TO DO WITH THAT

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 12, 2015

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I know it's taboo to push for singing acts on this show, but I like Benton Blount's pitch/tone a lot. I hope I get to hear him again.

Piff's trick wasn't that great, and I know nothing about magic, but I would just assume all 4 boxes were empty, and the chair he set the last box on had a false seat and someone pushed the dog up through the bottom of the box or something. The box looked way too light when he took it down. I do want to see him again though.

I chuckled at stutter-guy probably a bit more than I should have. I think part of his charm is that you're forced to hang on his every word, and by the time it clicks, things are funny. His laugh is like nails on a chalkboard though, and is super awkward. I really don't know how to feel about this.

I originally liked Triple Threat, but I felt like last night's performance was them getting with the producers and saying "hey, we ran into a schedule conflict and can only do one show at Radio City. Help us phone it in!" because holy gently caress what an absolutely awful song choice, terrible harmonies, and even the backup dancers were bad. They are way better than that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

xov posted:

I chuckled at stutter-guy probably a bit more than I should have. I think part of his charm is that you're forced to hang on his every word, and by the time it clicks, things are funny. His laugh is like nails on a chalkboard though, and is super awkward. I really don't know how to feel about this.

I agree, I like him as well. His laugh is a bit annoying, like you say. You'd think the stutter might totally destroy any chance at comedic timing, but what you say is totally true, and I was thinking of posting something similar; as he struggles to get out the punchline it creates a sort of tension and when he finally says the word, then like you said it "clicks", and it's funny.

I liked the joke about how people ask his dog poo poo and then he has to answer, and then when he does it looks like he's a weirdo. He stuck to comedy basics by drawing from his own real life experiences in a genuine, relatable way and it worked.

(but ultimately no one is on the same level as Siro A)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 12, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can see the arm of the drummer puppeteer.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I am bumping this thread because the I Couldn't Get A Muppets Job act was so bad it was a black hole of talent. It made all the other acts worse and I'm a less interesting person for having watched it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I am bumping this thread because the I Couldn't Get A Muppets Job act was so bad it was a black hole of talent. It made all the other acts worse and I'm a less interesting person for having watched it.

This is all true, but my bigger problem with it was that I had almost no idea what part of that performance the actual contestant (contestants? is it a group? no idea) was responsible for. Was that anything other than one guy operating one or two puppets while the AGT production team supplied him with a massive support act?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This guy literally just bought one of those machines and brought it to the show. Anyone can do that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

This guy literally just bought one of those machines and brought it to the show. Anyone can do that.
You can measure how bad it was by how much they talked about his looks.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure he's sponsored by the company that makes them. In his earlier acts he wore gear covered with their logo and mentioned their name and really talked up "this is such a cool new sport, it's taking the world by storm, all the cool kids are doing it!!!!" In my cynical view the company just hired some guy to go on this show and pimp their poo poo. Basically it's another puppet act.

(or, if I'm being extra paranoid, AGT is straight-up getting paid and we're completely just watching a commercial. up until tonight the judges were really pimping the hell out of the product)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oh my god I thought I was joking but the loving puppet act was so bad it's bombed the entire show

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tomorrow on AGT: yeah, we saw that Arnold video too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oh come on, the Selma theme is cheating

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That didn't come across very well on TV if it was really as good as they're acting.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

CapnAndy posted:

Oh my god I thought I was joking but the loving puppet act was so bad it's bombed the entire show

I noticed that they did not cut to the judges a single time during the puppet bit.
Made me think that the network is trying to gauge the temperature of it as a new show or something. Something just seems out of place, like one of those fake ads you see mixed up among the actual stories on a news website.

If America votes them through I really don't know what I'll think.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

xov posted:

gently caress this dumb country, burn it down

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

xov posted:

This, hands down, almost makes me feel like this poo poo is rigged. There's no way. There's no way, right?

I mean.... how? Why? What even IS the loving act, as asked above? Puppetry? Singing? I don't even.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

That drat Satyr posted:

This, hands down, almost makes me feel like this poo poo is rigged. There's no way. There's no way, right?

I mean.... how? Why? What even IS the loving act, as asked above? Puppetry? Singing? I don't even.

It's laser-focused aimed at old ladies, the kind that would go on a cruise ship and just eat up some washed up D-list talent singing Tom Jones songs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And the other two options weren't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Best act/group of the season: Siro-A. They are leagues better than everyone else.
Worst act/group of the season: Stuttering comedian. Yeesh he's so terrible. He's definitely the worst act at Radio City Hall. I even prefer water jet dude over the comedian.

This week wasn't too great. Best act of the show was the ladder climber and he even hosed up twice. I wish I could tell Mel B to STFU about bringing back the ladder in the Judge's Cut episode. There's only so many ladder tricks 1 person can do and be entertaining week after week, I was hoping that he would do exactly what he said he'll do next time, and do something new. Then Mel B opened her stupid trap and discouraged him on it.

Next week's show looks like poo poo, half of it is singing acts, instead of the usual 1/3rd.

What happened to the horse riding act in the auditions? That was the only "extreme" outdoor audition that was entertaining. I was blown away how skilled those kids were at doing tricks on the horses.

• Locked thread