Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
E: Whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I concur. The main (only?) issue I have with it is that it's only a third of the story.

I also really like that they went to the effort of dubbing the OP, though the dub as a whole was merely OK.
I actually rather disliked Fruits Basket for quite a while primarily because I could not get into the anime. It wasn't until years later when I read the manga that I came around to thinking it was one of the better shoujos ever made. To be fair though I don't really blame the anime for that as much as I blame the first third of FB's story just not being that good compared to the later arcs.

Don't read Kare Kano's manga, it's not worth your time. The anime is great though.

If you're going to watch one particular version of Nodame Cantabile I recommend the live-action.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

chie has become a meme waifu, and is no longer good
This but it applies to the whole P4 cast.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It has been 64 days since Shirobako went off the air.
I'm only on like ep 16 so it is still fresh to me!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Squid Girl is good but, I think after a while it started to have diminishing returns on its various jokes/set-ups. I think I'm like 10 chapters behind and I can't be bothered to catch up. It's still worth reading/watch anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I never really liked jojo
I used to be really eh about it all but I've really come to like Part 3, I think I'll probably watch anything else that gets animated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bad Seafood posted:

LOGH is probably one of my favorite shows but I cannot imagine ever watching it again.

I mean, maybe in a decade or something.
I've seen it twice thanks to that simulwatch in TVIV years ago. That was pretty fun since it was a lot of people who really would not have normally bothered with the show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just finished the Bodacious Space Pirate movie and I'm not sure why it got so much praise, it was easily my least favorite part of that anime. Mostly because of the annoying kid, made it feel like one of those lovely One Piece films.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Terper posted:

I go to bed around 9pm-10pm and wake up around 5am-6am, every day, even on weekends
Ugh, yeah. I found I felt more like poo poo on the weekends by sleeping in so I just get up at the same time instead. Getting old blows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

it's super easy to demux the softsubs from the english dvd release
As in using something like Subrip? Unless that scene has changed a lot since the last time I tried, ripping subtitles from DVDs is an extraordinary pain because they're .bmp files that require the software to interpret them into plain text. They'll more or less get the timings right but they will be rife with errors and require a lot of proofreading.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure how many people are keeping up with it but the latest Spice & Wolf book was pretty darn good. Since they're probably never making any more anime for it I definitely recommend it if you liked the show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I was doing okay with it until I hit the volume that was just a collection of side stories (7?) and kind of ran out of steam.
There's one more of those but I think for the most part they are skippable. A bunch don't even involve Lawrence.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You could just... rip the bitmap subs straight from the DVD and don't gently caress with them any? :shobon: VLC and Media Player Classic can handle them fine, and there's no NTSC -> PAL conversion involved so it should only have very minor timing issues, at worst.
Interesting, though I'm assuming there's no to mux them into a single .mkv container? What sort of format/naming convention do they have to use? I seem to remember DVD Decrypter trying to dump them into some generic ".sub" format which was largely useless unless you were literally authoring a new DVD.

In my case it wouldn't have helped though because I was combining several sources (Macross Plus OVAs and movie) into new, differently lengthed episodes that required new subs altogether.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Um how about we send someone besides Okabe back in time?
Isn't Okabe the only one who can perceive changes to the timeline? Yeah it's kind of convenient but also kind of needed for what they're trying to fix.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Escaflowne was the most fun I had during a simulwatch, besides maybe the Kurosawa one. It was at least the only one I bothered to try to watch at the same time as everyone else.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

apparently crunchyroll is putting a bunch of makoto shinkai movies up this weekend. which of these are good? I've seen voices of a distant star and 5 cm per second, but apparently he tends to repeat the same themes a lot and i'm wondering if it's worth watching any of the others
None of them are bad, you've just pretty much already watched all of them if you've already seen any one of them before. I think I liked Voices the most anyway.

E: I still don't understand what was wrong with the original title "Beyond The Clouds", it rolls off the tongue so much easier than "The Place Promised in Our Early Days".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think helldump got someone permabanned for talking up Koi Kaze once. Thanks helldump.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Horimiya's descent into :stare: is a moderately recently development and I don't think it's really fair to say it happened because they hooked up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I recently got the original on a Criterion BD. I had never seen it in Japanese and it was pretty great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I went to see Batman & Robin at the cinema, I've yet to see anything worse than that.
I'm sure I've seen worse a child but Silent Hill is what comes to mind when I think of disappointing theater experiences.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Which is the one that has like Mecha-Ghidora or something crazy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Smoking Crow posted:

have any of you besides me played the snes godzilla fighting game

it's really bad
I played a lot of the NES one, which was also pretty bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dogsicle posted:

adtrw was like the only place with a decent/positive discussion of Amagi from what i saw, but it was still sparse. so when i checked out other places it was really weird to see no or negative things being said about it. like the show somehow wasn't good because it didn't "look like" KyoAni or it arbitrarily ranked lower on people's KyoAni faves lists.

e: Okabe taking Rukako on a date is really cute
It was literally the first good KyoAni show in a long while and the pitch wasn't exactly super strong, most people even here had low expectations and didn't bother until word of mouth worked its way into the Fall(?) thread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Utawawhatever had one of the dumbest plots I've ever seen. I think it wraps around from being so bad its good to just being kind of bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

littleorv posted:

Not really the right thread to ask this question but I'm lazy. Does anyone have any recommendations for good third party software that I can download onto my laptop to play blurays? My drive can play blurays I just don't have software to play them with. I want to watch my amines in glorious 1080p and my tv is only 720p.
Because of the Blu-ray standard's draconian HDCP actually watching BDs on a PC is an enormous chore; you're pretty much forced to watch it in some software you have to buy. I believe the two main players were PowerDVD and Arcsoft TotalMedia. Even then both of those gave me huge stuttering problems.

Or you could try something that removes the copy protection altogether like AnyDVD HD and use something like the aforementioned MPC; this seems to work the best without any stuttering for me. The problem here is that AnyDVD works by white listing BDs, so every time a new one comes out you have to download an update. But even if you buy the software, unless you spring for the lifetime updates tier (currently $132) you will eventually have to buy it again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Aren't there supposed to be some side story chapters coming for Taiyou no Ie

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the only sonic game I think I like, though I like it a whole hell of a lot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

arisu posted:

I feel that Skip Beat has some of the most consistent scanlations for shoujo. I mean, it's not always good scanlations, but it comes out a lot more regularly than most series. Also it's gotten back to an actual interesting plot line over the last couple of chapters.
I feel like this was the most ridiculous thing said in the past however many pages. Skip Beat got so loving bad. Unless they completely wrote Ren(?) out of the story and went solely back to the main character trying to further her acting character I don't believe it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of VNs whatever happened to the Mahoyo translation?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

lol the original Higurashi character sprites
To be honest I've kind of grown to dislike the new ones, too. I mean they're technically better of course but I think I preferred the PS2 ones, at least they were just kind of generic rather than weird/alien-like in the new ones. Good thing there are like a billion mods already out in the wild.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I started enjoying OP more once I just ditched the threads talking about it and stopped reading speedscans. I guess it hasn't been as tight since the timeskip but it's still fine I think.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wait so he actually disclosed or someone actually found out what his mysterious medical malady was after all these years?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Parks and Rec was right, salads are stupid.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Future arc P&R was way better than like the two seasons that preceded it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I never wind up buying anything on steam sales since if there is a game on steam I want to play I've usually already bought it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't tend to buy anything on Steam unless there's a sale. :v: Though at this point I'm running out of stuff even then.
I'm probably wrong but I think all of the games I've purchased in the past maybe 2-3 years are either Falcom games, System Shock 2, Higurashi (a whole $6 when it first came out), and kickstarter games I'll never actually get around to playing. In other words besides dumb crap like Massive Chalice which I normally would never have bought everything else would be pretty drat cheap when they'd first come out, so no need to wait.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I don't care about how characters act in a big budget blockbuster, I only care about how good the effects are, and JW looks like every othe Marvel-style crap made in the last 10 years: like a bad video game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Ease" or "Geese" without the G, I think.

Ys games are already super cheap, how much lower could they possibly go?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
PSP Ys 6 is apparently super bad but I forget why.

Terper posted:

Well most of them are 50% right now, I'm expecting 75-80%.

e: If I only buy one, which one
Seriously, all of them. Ys I & II are the "dated" ones but still classic, Oath/Origin/Napishtim are the more modern hack and slashers. My personal favorites are Oath, Origin, and II. Ys I is probably the hardest to get through as it's rather rough around the edges and there's not much to actually do in it (also the last boss is hilariously cheap).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can (and should) also play Ys Seven extremely well on ppsspp which means the only Ys game that's not currently accessible on a PC is Memories of Celceta on the Vita, ignoring older/retconned titles. Ys V of course can also be played on a SNES emulator but no one cares about Ys V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nope, V was Falcom. I've beaten it and I wouldn't say it's truly awful but it's really not worth playing. The magic system makes no sense and most bosses can be beaten by just hitting the attack button really fast while they suicide into you.

• Locked thread