Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lifespan posted:

Do they at least still have Audible, Carbonite, etc?

The bigger ones like TWIT And Tech Guy yes. At least they did the last I listened. When they fired Tom Merritt and Iyaz went to CNET I stopped listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's just a dick.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I always liked Leo. I didn't think he was a scumbag before, though. I still don't, he just seems like a nice guy.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

he's a horny fucker who chased tail, as far as I think has been confirmed, after he got divorced when his kids were mostly grown, whether he was fuckin around on his wife idk

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
show me dat grandad bod

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

plasticbugs posted:

I used to work on "Call for Help" as an intern and then on "The Screen Savers" as a PA and assistant director. I can't say I ever expected to one day see Leo's penis.

you did this this was your fault https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

You are correct! But I want you to know that before Kevin Pereira and David Thorpe gave me any input, that interview was going to be SO bad - as in hopelessly boring. I was not great at producing guests back then and all I knew of SA was everything BUT the forums. Pereira was at least an active SA forums lurker for a long time, so I'm almost positive he was the reason we contacted Lowtax to be on the show to talk about SA. Lowtax turned us down and I think he gave our talent booker the actual excuse that he was in prison so he couldn't come out to LA.

Knowing very little about the site, I started looking at the home page - which was the worst place to start, but what the gently caress did I know. So I found a bunch of David Thorpe's articles by clicking his byline on his articles and saved all the links and that was what we were going to talk about. Then, the day of the interview, David's there in our G4 "green room" which was probably the shittiest green room in all of LA with a crappy Dell in there perched on a card table and a couch that barely qualified as a place to sit, no food and nothing to drink but bottled water. Totally terrible.

I prep David in the green room and tell him what we're going to talk about - and he's not really digging it. In hindsight, I'm so glad he said something, because otherwise this would have been the straightest most boring interview in the history of TV. David says something like: "I want to just not say one factual thing for the entire interview." This was not really a show for taking big chances at the time, so I tell him that I've got to check with Kevin and the producers to make sure that's cool with them.

I tell Kevin first about David's plan and Kevin's totally psyched because it sounds amazing to him, so then I tell the only other person who could say no, our EP Gavin Purcell (who now works on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon). Gavin asks if Pereira likes the idea (he does), and his only other requirement was "we have to rehearse it". So, one hour before the show, I walk David out there to the set to introduce him to Kevin, they quickly chat on the side about what this interview is going to be and then they just go for it. David at one point even asks Kevin if he can call him "Kenneth" during the interview and Kevin laughs. They do the full interview beginning to end and it's completely absurd and Kevin loves it. Our EP really thinks it's funny but with no live audience to react to it, this whole plan is definitely a little risky. They had gotten rid of The Screen Saver's live audience a few months prior because it was too expensive to have insurance on all those people and a full time audience booker.

I'm beginning to like the idea too, and I'm just hoping our audience is intelligent enough to get the joke.

Here's the actual interview again, and it's a testament to both Kevin and David's acting ability that the live interview only deviated from the rehearsal one time that I can remember. In the interview, SA started as a Monster Truck Rally newsletter, but in rehearsal David said it was something like a children's beauty pageant newsletter - I don't remember, but it was funny both ways. What I'm trying to say is that the rehearsal and the actual live interview were word-for-word the same with David calling Kevin "Kenneth" -- everything except for that one small change about SA's origin story.

Of course, most of SA and a vast majority of our viewers were too clueless to realize that nothing on TV is real and no, Kevin didn't get totally pranked. But I'll admit to being the dumbest person that day for planning a straight, insanely boring interview for Lowtax's stand-in. Next time, I promise to do better and include relevant questions about Doobie's Dog House.

Edit: I'm telling more AOTS and The Screen Savers stories that may or may not involve Leo's dick in this thread.

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 30, 2015

• Locked thread