Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Re: Spiders - Apparently the glowy floating obelisks can be used to summon boss-type monsters, one of which is a spider. I'm not saying that's necessarily what that dossier is describing, but... Maybe?

You would be correct. The post states it's The Broodmother. It also states you need tribute to summon her so I'd say you're correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
so is this goon server up or what? i wanna eat poop and smash skulls

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Smoremaster posted:

so is this goon server up or what? i wanna eat poop and smash skulls

doesnt look like you can join by IP.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

queeb posted:

doesnt look like you can join by IP.

There is a launch option that a bunch of streamers are using to join by IP. I haven't gotten any of them to reveal it however.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Trying to set it up but private servers are having issues, can't even configure them
If anyone knows how to connect by ip - try 63.251.20.193

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Anyone able to get on a server? I keep getting an unknown error.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Can you actually ride a Pterodactyl , pick someone up and them drop them to their deaths? I wont believe it till I see a video.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Yes you can, haven't seen a single video of anyone actually doing that yet

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

minchar posted:

You would be correct. The post states it's The Broodmother. It also states you need tribute to summon her so I'd say you're correct.

One of the trailers also had a giant loving scorpion to ride.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

TwatHammer posted:

I thought those obelisks were similar to rust airdrops and gave you loot if you walked up and opened it. Boss spawns are pretty cool too.

You're not wrong. The different-colored beams of light (I've seen white, yellow, green, and I think blue?) point to crate drop locations that you can open if you meet a certain level requirement. I wouldn't call those obelisks, though. That said, the thing I'm referring to isn't exactly an obelisk, either, since it's basically a giant floating construct that seems to be located over an arena or altar of some sort.

E: Do we have a Steam group or Mumble channel for this?

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 3, 2015

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

You're not wrong. The different-colored beams of light (I've seen white, yellow, green, and I think blue?) point to crate drop locations that you can open if you meet a certain level requirement. I wouldn't call those obelisks, though. That said, the thing I'm referring to isn't exactly an obelisk, either, since it's basically a giant floating construct that seems to be located over an arena or altar of some sort.

E: Do we have a Steam group or Mumble channel for this?

I saw the ones with the level req's from watching liriks stream. Never got to see him open one though. Could be both, who knows.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Mumble's in op

Strotski fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 5, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Streamers didn't lie...this game is loving loud.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

So their server host exe literally has no ini or any kind of config that I can see yet. I am willing to bet that there is an argument you can switch upon launch of the game to try to direct connect. That is probably what is doing it. There are password protected servers starting to appear in the server listing. If anyone gets one up I would suggest we password it for the time being as the hype train is plowing hard.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

When you join the mumble make sure you ask about how the goon server is going!

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

So their server host exe literally has no ini or any kind of config that I can see yet. I am willing to bet that there is an arguement you can switch upon launch of the game to try to direct connect. That is probably what is doing it. There are password protected servers starting to appear in the server listing. If anyone gets one up I would suggest we password it for the time being as the hype train is plowing hard.

Last I heard passworded servers were causing client crashes if you tried to connect from the browser. The streamers I saw using those passworded servers were using a launch option on steam to direct connect.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

minchar posted:

Last I heard passworded servers were causing client crashes if you tried to connect from the browser. The streamers I saw using those passworded servers were using a launch option on steam to direct connect.

Yeah I figured that was the case. If anyone spots the syntax for the launch arguments it would help out a lot.

forfeit
Oct 5, 2008
To launch and connect, just put the server's IP after the executable, or by itself in the "Launch Options" dialog in Steam. Alternatively, when in game press tab to open a console and type "open <ipaddr>"

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
all the official servers seem to be full or unable to join, anyone here hosting a server?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Vashro posted:

anyone here hosting a server?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxukOcik0S8

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
https://survivalservers.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Create_an_ARK:_Survival_Evolved_Dedicated_Server_Guide

This is apparently the how to with a sever setup, however they have left out like 90% of the info.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

pioneermax posted:

https://survivalservers.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Create_an_ARK:_Survival_Evolved_Dedicated_Server_Guide

This is apparently the how to with a sever setup, however they have left out like 90% of the info.

Eh, it's a start at least.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Somebody in Mumble says that single player has been deployed and that you need to restart Steam to get it.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

quote:

Single Player has now been deployed! Please restart your steam client to get the update #playARK

https://twitter.com/survivetheark/status/605889406931603456?lang=en

efb

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Somebody in Mumble says that single player has been deployed and that you need to restart Steam to get it.

drat I can imagine at HQ how it's going.

"Sir, our infrastructure just can't handle this many users... we didn't plan for it"

"What about singleplayer then? Just imagine all the bad reviews on Steam!"

"S..sir it's not ready either"

"gently caress release something, just release it!"

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

gently caress any developer that doesn't have the barebone tools available for EA launch
No configs for dedicated servers (they're empty), no documentation

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Well in any case there's Steam's awesome new refund policy, might have to take advantage of that here.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Guys i'm on one of the main server and banded up with a few pubbies. we have sleeping bags and are killing dinos.

game owns.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dominoeffect posted:

Well in any case there's Steam's awesome new refund policy, might have to take advantage of that here.

Have you never tried to play a somewhat popular game online on release day before? This happens with literally every single one.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

I CAN'T PLAY MY SHITSLINGING DINO ERECTION GAME RELEASED LITERALLY AN HOUR AGO TO MASSIVE UNANTICIPATED HYPE, BETTER BE A loving BITCH TITS GOON AND GET A loving REFUND FOR MY HARD EARNED DOLLARS ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

if you buy an early access game and expect it to work better than just barely you're pretty hilariously naive, more naive than me and the rest of the idiots who just purchased an early access survival sim LMAO

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 3, 2015

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

game seriously owns

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Have you never tried to play a somewhat popular game online on release day before? This happens with literally every single one.

Whoa calm down, just trying to pass some time with good ol' sarcasm.

i guess i'll tone it down with goons

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Dude they always have server issues with these games the first few days

dominoeffect posted:

Whoa calm down, just trying to pass some time with good ol' sarcasm. i guess i'll tone it down with goons
http://internetsarcasm.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

use a :v: next time

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 3, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

get the gently caress out of here you punk dont EVER talk poo poo to me

Steam is just making GBS threads itself all over the place at the moment, is it really because of this launch?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

nightwisher posted:

get the gently caress out of here you punk dont EVER talk poo poo to me

Steam is just making GBS threads itself all over the place at the moment, is it really because of this launch?

Probably. This dumb thing already hit 1st place in top sellers.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
i guess dinosaurs are the secret sauce

someone inform microsoft QUICK

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

srs post holy poo poo that new refund policy on steam is the absolute tits

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Haha the only way I get above 50 fps is with full screen 640x480 resolution and all setting at the lowest. I dont have top of line specs but my stuffs not that old.O well guess I'll just wait to play til they optimize it.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Raioner posted:

Haha the only way I get above 50 fps is with full screen 640x480 resolution and all setting at the lowest. I dont have top of line specs but my stuffs not that old.O well guess I'll just wait to play til they optimize it.

<30 FPS on absolute lowest with a GTX680, 1600x900 or whatever the default windowed resolution is. Can't connect to any servers, so this is in single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nightwisher posted:

i guess dinosaurs are the secret sauce. someone inform microsoft QUICK
Look this is all I'm asking for http://jpav.ytmnd.com/