Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

Superman is the most boring superhero ever made.

Anytime there's a supes story involving internal conflict it's pretty good actually.

It's just that most writers are garbage who don't know what to do other than have supes do more boring external conflict and make up outlandish poo poo in attempt to nullify supes' advantages.

I read some quick one in Barnes n Noble and Superman was super depressed about the Middle East so he just goes and takes all the guns away in a flash and goes 'HAHA I've fixed violence in the Middle East" and the dudes kind of just look around and pick up rocks and start throwing them at the people they were just shooting at.

Or I'm sure there's a story somewhere about his failure to relate to ordinary people but then again who knows that probably takes a decent writer and while the art is cool comics usually have some lovely writing.

Red Son was cool, too, he was able to just fix all our issues but then we all started getting lazy as gently caress. "Don't bother wearing seat belts Superman will just save you if you crash no worries." He bailed in the middle of some ceremony because he hears a train de-railing and some official goes 'superman is always just rushing off what a rude rear end in a top hat' and another one says 'well dude he hears people screaming and dying all over the planet you expect him to not be trying to help 24/7?'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Anytime there's a supes story involving internal conflict it's pretty good actually.

It's just that most writers are garbage who don't know what to do other than have supes do more boring external conflict and make up outlandish poo poo in attempt to nullify supes' advantages.

The best Superman stories weren't the ones that tried to nullify his powers, but the ones that gave him an opportunity to showcase them, IMO.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

This superman I can relate to

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

The best Superman stories weren't the ones that tried to nullify his powers, but the ones that gave him an opportunity to showcase them, IMO.

Yeah those are usually good, too.

My superman comic experience is literally just reading whatever is at Barnes and Noble so it's not super extensive but I think a huge reason why everyone thinks Superman is boring is because unless it is done really well, external conflict with that character is just boring so you gotta try to do something else.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

This superman I can relate to

I'm the Chinaman in the foreground whose skin is literally the same color as Superman's throne.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm also the diamond hubcap on the platter to his right.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Then I get to be the sexy dictator-sash in the background.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

A History of Violence is the best comic book movie

cool movie

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
can anyone give me a two sentence summary of what suicide squad is exactly

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

A History of Violence is the best comic book movie

the comic itself was kind of bad though

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

bad guys forced by the government to do dirty work
will smith's weird son plays static shock

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

can anyone give me a two sentence summary of what suicide squad is exactly

Suicide Squad is like Dirty Dozen only stupid and lovely.
Harley Quinn is included to attract the Juggalo audience/other people who think clowns are sexy.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Superman should be like the Hulk in the avengers. More of a plot device than a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

Superman should be like the Hulk in the avengers. More of a plot device than a character.

Yeah, probably the best way to do it in a movie.

• Locked thread