Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Definitely voting for A here (Herr?). Good job in the Low Countries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Just to clarify, the reason it was so important to get the bigger guns on the panzer IVs is because the T-34 and KV-1 were both significantly better armoured than the German tanks were equipped to deal with.

The T-34 was well armoured and brilliantly designed with cleverly sloping armour surfaces, which transformed head-on shots into glancing blows. The KV-1 went with a stereotypically Russian engineering design of "just add more steel", and as a result its armour was quite thick and very, very difficult to penetrate under normal conditions.

Germany therefore required anti-tank weaponry with a better muzzle velocity, so the infantry support tank became the anti-armour vehicle of choice (for all the reasons Jobbo_Fett so eloquently explained in his post above.)

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Good work in the Middle East. Even with only minor victories in Norway and France, I expect that the Allies would be very sorely prrwssed by these developments.

Axis forces on the border with Iran and the loss of the Suez Canal raises all sorts of unfortunate possibilities during Barbarossa. The historical Lend-Lease supply lines through Persia would be in great danger, and there'd be the unfortunate possibilities of the Axis gaining access to Iranian oil or even the opening of a southern front against the Caucasus and the rapid capture of Baku.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Good work in the Balkans. There's a lot to take care of, but from what I can see your units are performing admirably. Some of them are also getting extremely experienced. Is five stars the maximum?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Excellent work, Kangra. I must admit that I'm curious as to how Germany could have pulled off a Sealion against British and American resistance, even operating under the assumption that Russia had been smashed and brought to its knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Looks like the end is drawing near for the Americans - and therefore, for the Allies. The concept of pulling a "minor victory" here is a bit amusing - surely, any sustained enemy presence in the USA would be a total disaster.

• Locked thread