Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
North Africa

Also, claiming 1st 7.5 IefK 16nA and renaming them to be "Die kleinen Stichel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kangra posted:

I was just thinking that if I didn't need to optimize the core for the winning path so much, it'd be pretty fun to do a run with severe restrictions on what can actually be purchased. Practically everyone just gets a ton of Panthers as soon as they show up. [That said, we won't be doing that because most of our battles happen before 1943].

This would be a cool thing to do for a Panzer Corps Grand Campaign LP.

Kangra posted:

Die kleinen Stichel are also added to the list. Funny thing of note: I upgraded them before noticing the name change, but they remain the smaller guns (it can be nice to have a unit with extra ammo for defense).

I may as well note that I reserve the right to upgrade the core units. I won't always change their type, though, as I actually do like to have a bit of variety in the core if it can be helped.

I wasn't expecting otherwise, and those light infantry guns were important for the Wehrmacht, its fitting that we keep it for a while.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Koorisch posted:

drat it, I've been trying to play this but as soon as I kill one unit three more pop up elsewhere, I can't finish Warsaw since they just keep spawning tanks and block everything with AT guns! :argh:

Anyone got any tips for a novice?

How are you advancing with regards to your forces? Unit composition? I don't have any experience with Panzer General, but Panzer Corps and Order of Battle both require you to advance with infantry, tanks, and artillery/support to properly break through enemy defenses.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Koorisch posted:

So should i perhaps turn of some options to increase my chances?

Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot at a lower difficulty before ramping it up again.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kangra posted:

There may be a question as to why I consider the Panzer III as better than the Panzer IV, since it would seem the Panzer IV has better attack values. The crucial difference is in the initiative: winning the initiative has a huge effect on suppressing the enemy's ability to hurt you, and most tanks have a fairly high initiative value. Thus the Panzer IV is more likely to get hit first and not get the shots off it needs.
Against infantry in the open, they win initiative all the time. In that case, their better firepower is more than sufficient.

It's interesting to consider this in contrast with history; I don't know much about the Panzers but I thought the IV was more often used in large armor vs. armor engagements. That could be just be later on in the war, when the newer models appear.

The early Panzer III's had a higher penetrating gun and were actually designed to be the German counter to AFV's, whereas the Panzer IV was initially designed to be a infantry support tank. Thus the Panzer IV is slower, and has the 75mm howitzer as its early-variant armament. Later on, due to the invasion of the Soviet Union and the KV-1/T-34, it was found that the turret ring was big enough to accommodate a larger, more effective gun. The Panzer III, however, could not, and near the end of its career (with the Ausf. N) it even reverted back to an infantry support role with a 75mm Howitzer, the same gun used by the PzIV 4-5 years prior.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The shock of the KV-1 and T-34 also led to the frankenstein 7.5cm Pak 97/38 and rushing out the 7.5cm Pak 40. The Pak 40 had great capabilities, though, and was one of the best anti-tank guns of the war but were getting a little ahead of ourselves.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

That Matilda spam is utterly ridiculous.

Yeah, that's one of the things I hate about PC, where the AI is capable and fixated on replacing units as fast and as much as possible, prestige be damned.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lynneth posted:

The British just love to spam their Matildas, don't they? Goodness.

"During the airborne invasion of Crete, the Allies lead by the British forces were able to deploy whole armies of Matilda tanks, thus preventing German paratroopers from taking control of the vital Mediterranean island."

-And that, son, is how the Allies won World War 2.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
b. Husky

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A. Anzio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU