Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

It did come off as incredibly arrogant, especially when it was being implied that he might be Gan/God, but I think it was handled as best as an author self-insert could be. I think he just didn't want to be accused of writing a lot of deus ex machina stuff, so he made it a character in the book who is doing it and not actually him.

he referenced himself being a fat drunk piece of poo poo a lot, which was p funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

opus111 posted:

i dint mind that. it was the harry potter bits that i thought let the whole thing down. what on earth was he thinking!?

also the lightsabers. The way I got over it is that I guess I could see us in the future inventing stuff like that and naming it after things we recognized from popular movies/books, but the main thing that bothered me about it is it seemed like he felt everything HAD to be a reference to something in that book. The wolves couldn't just be what they are, they had to be dressed up like dr doom carrying references to star wars and harry potter, and andy had to look like c3po. Honestly though the way the calla people talked and how the main guys started mimicking it for absolutely no reason bothered me a lot more, yer bugger.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

My love for Stephen King knows no bounds.

In no particular order, my favorite books/series,

The Dark Tower Series
Bag of Bones
Insomnia

I have somehow not read The Stand or The Shining. I am a bad Stephen King fan.

Although it was co-wrote with Peter Straub, The Talisman series has a special place in my heart as well.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The Talisman had furries in it.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

i prefer the movies

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Gray Matter gave me the most ferocious nightmare I've ever had. I was afraid to read him for a while.

Apt Pupil is a gem.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Creepshow is an awesome movie, including Stephen King's own acting.

Stephen King's cultural position reminds me a little of G. K. Chesterton. Not exactly highbrow, lowbrow, or even middlebrow. Somebody shooting for popular consumption of zany ideas.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I like when Roland drinks Pepsi and he is amazed at how amazing our world is that we can have such a great beverage

That part always stuck with me. I imagine it's like when you are playing sports on a hot summers day and you just chill out and drink some icey cold sugar and caffeine filled cola when you are dehydrated. You feel like life has run back into your body.

I think the beauty of King is in moments like that. He always has these little images that stick with you At the end of The Dark Tower When he buries Oy he says something like. "The little bundle was too small for the heart it held" I mean for gently caress sake man, I am reading this on a bus.

What was the first King book you guys read? For me it was The Eyes of the Dragon about age 9 or 10. Which I re-read recently and it ALMOST works with what he is going for.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

also the lightsabers. The way I got over it is that I guess I could see us in the future inventing stuff like that and naming it after things we recognized from popular movies/books, but the main thing that bothered me about it is it seemed like he felt everything HAD to be a reference to something in that book. The wolves couldn't just be what they are, they had to be dressed up like dr doom carrying references to star wars and harry potter, and andy had to look like c3po. Honestly though the way the calla people talked and how the main guys started mimicking it for absolutely no reason bothered me a lot more, yer bugger.

Commala come Ka. Beans are safe my friend ye kennit?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lonos Oboe posted:

That part always stuck with me. I imagine it's like when you are playing sports on a hot summers day and you just chill out and drink some icey cold sugar and caffeine filled cola when you are dehydrated. You feel like life has run back into your body.

I think the beauty of King is in moments like that. He always has these little images that stick with you At the end of The Dark Tower When he buries Oy he says something like. "The little bundle was too small for the heart it held" I mean for gently caress sake man, I am reading this on a bus.

What was the first King book you guys read? For me it was The Eyes of the Dragon about age 9 or 10. Which I re-read recently and it ALMOST works with what he is going for.

agreed on all your points. every time i drink a coke I think of the dark tower.

My first king was 'Salem's Lot. I was 10/11 I think and the bit where that young buck goes to gently caress that MILF, with the description of her opening the door wearing just an apron and heels... lol I was on my grandmother's front room floor reading that bit over and over again. Then I read Needful things. After that I don't remember the order.

opus111 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 29, 2015

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Lonos Oboe posted:

The first one I read was IT, I want to say I was in the 12-13 age range, some time toward the end of middle school. Then I think the next ones I read were desperation and regulators pretty soon after that. It wasn't until a couple years ago though that I got back into his stuff and really started trying to go through all the ones I missed.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I do enjoy King, I've read his books since I was a kid, though his characters can be really contrived, especially with their catchphrases. I really like his horror but not his supernatural, I just put Cell down in the final act and couldn't bring myself to finish it.
loved Eyes of the Dragon and like another poster said, it really doesn't get the love it deserves.
I think my next goal is to read dark tower, but do it in the "order" with corresponding other books as well, which you can find lists of online.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I liked Eyes of the Dragon mostly because of how straightforward it was - it wasn't trying to be anything more than just a fairly standard medieval-style fantasy story.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^^yeah its just a nice easy read, neat illustrations.

gently caress me Freddy that is one helluva clustermug, ayuh.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
My only real problem with his plots is how readily people go totally nuts. Needful Things was really bad because of that.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

notZaar posted:

My only real problem with his plots is how readily people go totally nuts. Needful Things was really bad because of that.

Dumb north eastern hillbillies who will believe anything and are desperate to have a better quality of life.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

his characters are always really weak, too. somebody falls down the stairs and they snap like every bone in their body lol.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
AYUH

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I liked Pet Semetary and It

Need to read the Dark Tower books and Running Man at some point or another

It maybe went on a little too long and I didn't like the ending too much but the neat historical asides where we see It manifesting as different things are neat

Also it led to Tim Curry playing a murderous clown in a movie

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I read IT at 15 and it really touched me.

Aside from all the horror and toddlers with snapped necks being stuffed into toilets, it's a beautiful tale about growing up, loss of innocence, friendship, and camaraderie.

Mike's last chapter, remembering and forgetting his childhood friends and the horror they dealt with, as well as the final chapter, Bill Denbrough Beats the Devil (II), are especially beautiful.

King writes about childhood exceptionally well.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i've only read his best and his worst book

weirdly enough, in both cases i saw their movie adaptations almost immediately afterwards

quakster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 29, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The end of It weirdos me out enough that I've never tried reading it.

The Gunslinger is an amazing novel, everything feels dreamlike and full of import...unfortunately I read it just as the last book came out and a bunch of people told me to just give up on it. I think I still have book 2 somewhere but I'd want to reread the first one and it would just set me up for disappointment again

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Acting Credits:

Creepshow

King plays a cartoonish backwoods hick who is consumed by parasitic space plants and commits suicide

Maximum Overdrive

a man who gets called an rear end in a top hat by an ATM after the machine uprising

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite King story was Apt Pupil

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Knightriders

"Hoagie Man"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
METEOR poo poo!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Toriori posted:

I do enjoy King, I've read his books since I was a kid, though his characters can be really contrived, especially with their catchphrases.

real people do have catchphrases and expressions they use over and over though

not that that means it always works in fiction

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj4ArncwMNE

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

I remember laughing my rear end off at that the first time.

When I was posting stories and movie adaptations I can't believe I left out The Dead Zone. Great fuckin book and goddamn christopher motherfuckin walken!

pr0k fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 29, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

King is what happens if an Ideas Guy has some measure of talent to actually follow through, but only 75% of the way.

The last full novel I read by him was Wind Through the Keyhole or whatever, and the Roland an Co part was bad, but the pseudo fairy tale part was great.

The Dark Tower universe could be so cool if someone could clean up the parts that ruin it... at least the books were better than the comics.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

The Dark Tower universe could be so cool if someone could clean up the parts that ruin it

such as

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

the bad parts

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
king's dialogue and syntax and ability to let us peer into the minds of crazy people is what keeps me coming back

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dr Doom/ Harry Potter/ Star Wars bad guys

RF going out badly to a brand new bad guy introduced in the same book (i don't actually know if that's true)

The CK being terrible

Patrick being terrible

Every character that King had to bring in from all the other DT related books shove them all together they all get to be around each other and say things because they know each other gently caress

The DT books were cooler when it was a huge number of characters all connected to This Thing and they didn't know about each other and very well might never meet, like Black House

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
i just finished reading IT for the first time a couple weeks back. it was nice reading in the hospital until i got to mike almost being killed by the junkie nurse.

first king book i read was insomnia. i was in high school and i picked it out in the library and ended up reading it after school every day until i finished it (i'd be stuck at school until like 5:30 so i had plenty of time)

i think someone from the last thread summed up cell perfectly by saying it should be renamed "stephen king's fear of modern technology." it was not a very good book and, like a lot of his novels, the ending was poo poo

currently a third of the way through the shining. great poo poo. starting salem's lot afterwords.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
The last Stephen King book that I read was ""Lisey's Story." That smucking book was smucking awful!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
was From a Buick 8 the one with the alternate Cthullu dimension?

gently caress that book

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Rickycat posted:

currently a third of the way through the shining. great poo poo.

The movie's a whole order of magnitude better. The book has cool moments but also that dopey Stephen King poo poo where Evil is helpless against someone scrunching up their face and yelling a catchphrase. And the classic weak Stephen King ending, of course.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

The CK being terrible

100% agree with you here. the whole series you're led to believe the CK is a huge badass and there's going to be an epic gunslinger showdown. the ending culminated in a fight with basically a circus clown throwing loving water balloons or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Lonos Oboe posted:

The Stand.

I also remember the commercial for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxjHHyQMSnk

• Locked thread