Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

I really liked the dark tower series but i think thats because it was finished when I read it so i didn't have to wait a decade for the ending like lots of people did. But i think The Stand is my favorite king book despite the deus ex machina ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
He wrote The Long Walk as a freshman in college. That book is one of the greats and a fantastic look at mortality, and he wrote it at an age where I would be happy to have a ten-page paper not suck.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He wrote The Long Walk as a freshman in college. That book is one of the greats and a fantastic look at mortality, and he wrote it at an age where I would be happy to have a ten-page paper not suck.

This right here. I would love for there to be a good movie adaptation of this, something that really depicts the struggle. Like seeing the crowd bounce that one guy back into the road when he made a break for it just to see him get his ticket.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Opie_Yates posted:

This right here. I would love for there to be a good movie adaptation of this, something that really depicts the struggle. Like seeing the crowd bounce that one guy back into the road when he made a break for it just to see him get his ticket.

its too grim to ever make a good movie

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

100% agree with you here. the whole series you're led to believe the CK is a huge badass and there's going to be an epic gunslinger showdown. the ending culminated in a fight with basically a circus clown throwing loving water balloons or whatever

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010
Also Rage was kind of an eerie premonition of the school shootings to come in real life in later decades.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

its too grim to ever make a good movie

It's not even too grim, as much as it's almost all dialogue and small moments with a few bouts of "oh, poo poo!". There's plenty of grim movies, but there's no way to make one that's as grueling as The Long Walk out of a 300 page book.

E: Like, in that book one character goes from teenage invicibility, to jaded over his mistakes in life, and accepting of his death, and it isn't rushed at all. RIP McVries.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Opie_Yates posted:

Also Rage was kind of an eerie premonition of the school shootings to come in real life in later decades.

IIRC Rage is out of print because the Columbine guys had read it at some point before their shooting :stare:

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Stephen King writes bad books for dumb people.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was The Long Walk a Bachman book? Man, those were all solid. I haven't read Roadwork, though

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Young and/or Drug Addled Stephen King = BEST Stephen King

Firestarter didn't have as cool an ending as was being built up, a sign of things to come I guess?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Really he's just good at Young People, ages 5-15, and taking ideas from classic authors and putting new spin on them, like Dolan's Cadillac and anything to do with Lovecraft

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Was The Long Walk a Bachman book? Man, those were all solid. I haven't read Roadwork, though

It was. And Running Man and Rage are both great books that are now kinda hard to read, given reality TV/climate change denialism/ September 11th and school shootings, respectively.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Roadwork is a little slow to get going but a pretty good payoff. Also the most accurate description of a mescaline trip I've ever read.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

and Blaze = Mice and Men

a lot his stuff is homages

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
He's a fun, slightly challenging read, that has a crippling inability to write endings.

The shining was awesome. I also enjoyed the Stand. The dark tower was fun, but FFS all the criticism is warranted.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

At some point Eddie goes from being a well written, cool character to being a fan fiction version who's dialogue sounds like nails on a chalkboard

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

VendaGoat posted:

He's a fun, slightly challenging read, that has a crippling inability to write endings.

Could be worse. At least each story doesn't and with "And he wakes up and it was all a dream"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

At some point Eddie goes from being a well written, cool character to being a fan fiction version who's dialogue sounds like nails on a chalkboard

He was awesome when he was stuck smuggling a huge package of H through a plane then getting in a shootout with the mob and yelling dead baby jokes at an AI train. After that part he kinda went downhill.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

and yelling dead baby jokes at an AI train. After that part he kinda went downhill.

that hill started earlier than you thought

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

that hill started earlier than you thought

Beating a supercomputer at a riddle contest by loving the rules like that (and then shooting it in the face) is pretty loving awesome, sorry you like things to be as dull as possible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP ERROR ERROR NOT LOGICAL DOES NOT COMPUTE I'MA VERY ADVANCED SARCASTIC ROBOCOMPUTER BUT THE TRAIN MEN DIDN'T TEACH ME TO NOT LOGIC BEEP BEEP

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
hbo should take a crack at dark tower once theyre done with game of thrones it would probably work better than a movie series.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

chemosh6969 posted:

Could be worse. At least each story doesn't and with "And he wakes up and it was all a dream"

ps this is a great ending and the only reason youre butt hurt over it is cause you were invested for years

he did a lot of stupid stuff towards the end of that series but the reset is essential to the story it makes the entire loving thing

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Mr. Unlucky posted:

hbo should take a crack at dark tower once theyre done with game of thrones it would probably work better than a movie series.

This or the stand. I'm confident HBO or AMC should tackle a new Stand miniseries.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
i'm sorta looking forward to the (possible) new version of IT because it's one of my favourite king books. it's hard to fit 1000+ pages into a two part series and the fact that It will be yougner than me makes me wary. but i have blind faith.

should have gotten tim curry to do it though he's only 69 years young.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Toriori posted:

This or the stand. I'm confident HBO or AMC should tackle a new Stand miniseries.

I would back this endeavor

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

climate change denialism

I think you mean "Living in reality"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Lonos Oboe posted:

What was the first King book you guys read? For me it was The Eyes of the Dragon about age 9 or 10. Which I re-read recently and it ALMOST works with what he is going for.

Four past midnight. Perhaps the essence of the "writes a great story, sucks at the ending" trait. I read Langoliers first and I was hooked. I devoured literally every King book over the next 3 years (1996-1999).

I think if I had to list favs it would be:

It
Dead Zone
Tommyknockers
Rose Madder (don't know why, I just found this had a great balance from "normal stuff, normal stuff, normal stuff, rear end-EXPLODING FREAKY HORRORIFICITY")
Christine
Firestarter
Different Seasons
Needful Things

Did not care as much about the Stand as most people: Too many stories, not enough excitement
Pet Sematary rubbed me the wrong way... no likeable characters doing believable actions

I am excited that there are a few Stephen King novels I missed in the last 15 years. The dude has the highest "floor" of any writer, in that his worst is still pretty drat entertaining.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
The Drawing of Two it one of the best books I have ever read!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I think this might be my favorite ending to a Stephen King book: Oddly realistic, sort of tragic, and an amazing exploration of what drives us as humans. Really made me think, at least more than "haha we beat the lovecraftian-monster, yay!"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

I think this might be my favorite ending to a Stephen King book: Oddly realistic, sort of tragic, and an amazing exploration of what drives us as humans. Really made me think, at least more than "haha we beat the lovecraftian-monster, yay!"

Steven King in a nutshell

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

opus111 posted:

his characters are always really weak, too. somebody falls down the stairs and they snap like every bone in their body lol.

I have clinched my fists many, many times, and have never once cut my hand open with my fingernails.

I have bit my tongue many, many times, and have never experienced the apparently "copper" taste of blood in my mouth.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

I have clinched my fists many, many times, and have never once cut my hand open with my fingernails.

I have bit my tongue many, many times, and have never experienced the apparently "copper" taste of blood in my mouth.

You should read his short stories. Most of those guy fight til the end

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The mist had a terrible ending.

I enjoyed Popsie though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

The mist had a terrible ending.

I enjoyed Popsie though.

It had a strong protagonist.

E: The mist.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
As indifferent as I am to the Dark Tower series (the first three books kept me reading all the other lovely books. Wizard and Glass might have been the biggest disappointment of my life), book II opens with my all-time favorite King moment:

The sharp-handed gunslinger shoots his way through the first book with perfect marksmanship. In the first chapter of the second book, a monster crab BITES HIS SHOOTING FINGERS OFF. Blew my mind

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Read them all. Like 'em , but still don't put them above his full-length novels. Don't get me wrong, poo poo like The Jaunt is genre-defining. But like another poster said, King's unique ability to peer into a crazy person's mind and keep that going for 300+ pages is addictive. I think TommyKnockers is the best example of how Stephen King perfects the concept of "this good character is so brokenly flawed, you have to root for them"

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 30, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It had a strong protagonist.

E: The mist.

Oh dude, everything else about it was awesome. I think I read it in one sitting. The ending....The man can not write good endings.

Drunk Nerds posted:

The sharp-handed gunslinger shoots his way through the first book with perfect marksmanship. In the first chapter of the second book, a monster crab BITES HIS SHOOTING FINGERS OFF. Blew my mind

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

As indifferent as I am to the Dark Tower series (the first three books kept me reading all the other lovely books. Wizard and Glass might have been the biggest disappointment of my life), book II opens with my all-time favorite King moment:

I was late to the series but Wizards and Glass was a great story. I hope he writes more books like that

• Locked thread