Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Someone needs to proofread this guy's comments. He mentions that Algul Siento is "a place of importance in book five", but that is not true at all. I don't think it's even mentioned in book 5. They don't even go there until book 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I read this

quote:

11 [3] - The size of the desert is changed from "parsecs" to "eternity".

and already I approve

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I've got several volumes of the dark tower on my kindle, in what order am I supposed to read them?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I've got several volumes of the dark tower on my kindle, in what order am I supposed to read them?

In the order they were published.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

Clipperton posted:

It took a while to get going but the part where they're going through the house is ace.

Yes I thought Black House was pretty much fantastic. King and Straub make a hell of a team in my opinion. I would have liked a little more time spent in the Territories, but still great.

Also, The Jaunt is probably one of the best SciFi short stories ever written and it's from a horror writer. Go figure.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Ryoshi posted:

Me too, I thought these were great. The Dead Zone is another favorite of mine, it's never explicitly horror but it builds up a sense of dread and inevitability as it goes on until it culminates in what is probably one of King's best endings.

gently caress whoever brought up The Dark Half, though, I had finally successfully forgotten that that rancid turd existed.

man, the dead zone is just beautiful. the title really doesn't do it justice lol. The way he avoids the fairytale ending and goes for what really happens in life re: the main relationships, it brought a tear to my eye. His true talent is often forgotten because of the vampires and gang bangs.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Astroduck posted:

Wizard and Glass is actually pretty good now that all the books are out and I'm not waiting to see how the whole thing ends.

I'm really surprised that people thought it was ever bad? It was an instant classic in my mind. 1-3 are super fun rollicking adventures but 4 was where the series matured (and ended imo)

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

epoch. posted:

I read IT when I was about 12 or 13, out on my parents back porch during a humid ohio summer. The "barrens" and the relationships between those kids are etched into my mind as if I lived them myself. IT owns, Stephen King owns, if you disagree, you're a pretentious twat. hth.

yeah I read it on a family holiday somewhere in the med, just plonked myself on a beach in 35 degree weather and rinsed it in like a week, for that entire time I was in Derry and nowhere else. To this day my parents moan about how I wasted my time with my nose in a book instead of swimming and poo poo. THEY WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND!!!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Dark Tower 2-4 are really solid books plus the audio books for them have a really good reader.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

guts and bolts posted:

Stephen King and William Gibson are probably the two authors most responsible for influencing how I read and write fiction, but if I had to give an edge to one I'd pick King. My dude likes lovely Billy Joel 80's-era rock and puts in more pointless pop-culture references than anyone else I've ever read and enjoyed, and if someone were to provide a sophisticated takedown of most of King's work I'd probably grudgingly agree in most cases, but there was like a decade-long tear where I read everything he published

Stephen King owns unironically

I like Gibson more

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
The thing about the Dark Tower ending is how depressing it is. It's ends on kind of a whimper. It's a long lonely journey and all the magic and wonder has been sucked out of it because all of the people gradually fall away. I went through phases of liking it and hating it. I guess it's ok. It's a bit low key and sombre when you expect it to be more heroic. But I guess that is the point.

I loving love Wizard and Glass. It was amazing world building if nothing else. The same for Pere Callahan. That was one of the most beautiful romantic depictions of America I have ever read. (Not being from there myself)

One thing I liked about The Mist movie ending was the ambiguity. Tom Jane kills his boy and Mrs. Carmody (religious nut) claimed that the child's sacrifice would end the mist. The real horror is the possibility that we live in a world where poo poo like that is true. Or it's just a horrible coincidence. King went on record as saying if he had thought of it he would have done it.

What's the general opinion on Dreamcatcher. The movie is pretty terrible, but it is one of the most authentic adaptations I have ever seen. To a fault I would argue.

notZaar posted:

Dark Tower 2-4 are really solid books plus the audio books for them have a really good reader.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Muller

Sadly he had an accident and could not narrate any more and passed away in 08. He was an incredible narrator. His voices for the characters were the voices I imagine when I read the book. Everyone from Gasher to Jonas was loving A1. The guy who replaced him just makes everyone sound Mexican for some reason.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 29, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Lonos Oboe posted:

What's the general opinion on Dreamcatcher. The movie is pretty terrible, but it is one of the most authentic adaptations I have ever seen. To a fault I would argue.

Book: Jonesy's internal library was awesome, as was Pete's fight on the toilet. Ending sucked rear end, as usual.

Movie: 0/5, would not recommend for any reason.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Lonos Oboe posted:

I love most of King's books and think the world of his short stories, but Dreamcatcher was just terrible. I think it was the first thing he wrote after being nearly turned into a hood ornament, so I cut King a little slack.

IIRC, even King thinks the book's pretty bad.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I liked the idea in the book that the longer Jonsey was possessed, the more human the alien became. Like lusting after bacon. Its a common thing in King's books where the villain is undone by their own arrogance over something petty. It's usually something physical or related to a poison, decay, decomposition or attrition. It's always just enough to give the protagonist an edge.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Murphy Brownback posted:

Someone needs to proofread this guy's comments. He mentions that Algul Siento is "a place of importance in book five", but that is not true at all. I don't think it's even mentioned in book 5. They don't even go there until book 7.

If I recall when Jake follows Andy and Slightman to the Dogan. They have a Skype call with the Weasel dude. (Finley O'Tego?) And I think they name check Algul Siento. Not even remotely important to the story, but yeah I think they mention it.

I hate the revised Gunslinger. It stinks of that retconning poo poo George Luca did. Now every second line is foreshadowing or world building. I always liked the sparseness of language in that first book. It's almost like a Cormac McCarthy book.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 29, 2015

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
poo poo Weasels OP. Shiiiiit Weasels!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I like his diner descriptions in '63. Lotsa pie and fresh meat.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

neal stephenson has funnier titles

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Started 11/22/63. It's not nearly as lame as you would think a story about a guy traveling back in time to stop the JFK assassination would be. So far it's actually pretty drat good. It ain't no Dead Zone, though!

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

M-O-O-N that spells Stephen King.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
the leeches from the story The Body was based on a true story from Steven Kings childhood where he and some friends went swimming in a lake during summer and one of them got a leech on his balls.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really liked The Dark Tower, series, but like all long book series, just skip the last one. I didn't read the last one and I heard that was a good decision, so, all in all still a cool book series.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Lonos Oboe posted:

Sadly he had an accident and could not narrate any more and passed away in 08. He was an incredible narrator. His voices for the characters were the voices I imagine when I read the book. Everyone from Gasher to Jonas was loving A1. The guy who replaced him just makes everyone sound Mexican for some reason.

The last 3 audiobooks I have listened to have all been by that guy (George Guidell) and while he sounds OK I don't really like the way he does character voices.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I really liked The Dark Tower, series, but like all long book series, just skip the last one. I didn't read the last one and I heard that was a good decision, so, all in all still a cool book series.

Good call

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I basically loved all the dark tower books

IT was good
Sales Lot was good
Under the Dome was pretty good
Misery Was neat
Didn't Steven King write Maximum Overdrive? That was awesome.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
not everything is a hit but you gotta remember he turns so much work out that he still ends up having more good stuff than most other authors

like dude 5+ great books? most don't even get past 1. not to mention all the short stories.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
Has the Green Mile been brought up yet? I only skimmed pages 1 and 4.

The books were great and I think even the movie was pretty good.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Applewhite posted:

"Highbrow" is just a term used to describe whatever was popular entertainment for the previous generation. It's "Young people music sucks" writ large. Remember that, in their time, classical composers and musicians were pop stars and all the great masters were hack artists working for peanuts.

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisztomania_(phenomenon)

Man this isn't even remotely true...

I like salem's lot and the short stories he wrote around it because i'm a stupid sucker for vampire/lovecraft poo poo.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Lonos Oboe posted:

I hate the revised Gunslinger. It stinks of that retconning poo poo George Lucas did. Now every second line is foreshadowing or world building. I always liked the sparseness of language in that first book. It's almost like a Cormac McCarthy book.

The unrevised edition imo is one of the best things he ever wrote. It's strange but familiar, and evocative. The language is perfectly suited to an ageless quest through a desert land.

The rewritten edition is far dumber. Hurf durf billy-bumblers nineteen ninety-nine thankee-sai robots and golden sneetches.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

the Dark Tower fuckin owns

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Dead Zone is by far King's greatest work and I will hear nothing other. The ending had me in tears. The Running Man and The Long Walk are also really good.

The Stand is seriously overrated.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

pr0k posted:

Insomnia - wasn't that made into a movie with Robin Williams and ....Pacino? That was badass too.

No, that was a remake of a Norwegian movie (also good) with the same title, nothing to do with Stephen King.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
whats up with you jabronis that didnt like the end of the dark tower? i loved that ending

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Mad Monk posted:

In the Dark Tower I like to think the ending has to do with the number 19 It's the 19th time he's taken this journey

:vince: whoa

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

whats up with you jabronis that didnt like the end of the dark tower? i loved that ending

the ending itself wasn't bad it was that that last 3 books were a huge dropoff from the rest

5 wasn't awful but it was building up to some huge epic fight and it ends up being super short and anti-climactic

book 6 as a whole was loving terrible

and when it's just roland and susannah trucking on in book 7 there's a shitload of nothing that happens until the very end

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
remember when roland and eddie met the literal stephen king? :suicide:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like when Roland drinks Pepsi and he is amazed at how amazing our world is that we can have such a great beverage

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

ROFLburger posted:

remember when roland and eddie met the literal stephen king? :suicide:

It did come off as incredibly arrogant, especially when it was being implied that he might be Gan/God, but I think it was handled as best as an author self-insert could be. I think he just didn't want to be accused of writing a lot of deus ex machina stuff, so he made it a character in the book who is doing it and not actually him.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i dint mind that. it was the harry potter bits that i thought let the whole thing down. what on earth was he thinking!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i agree he did handle it as well as he could have. i just couldn't get over it. at the risk of sounding like an idiot, it just ruined my immersion :qqsay: the whole sequence involving him i just kept thinking "ugh why would he make the decision to write this" like removing the 'fourth wall' or whatever or whatever just sucked for me.

• Locked thread