Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Problem description: About a week ago my PSU (Thermaltake EVO Blue 2.0) suddenly failed, possibly due to a power surge. I checked the machine for physical signs of damage, scorching, smelled for burning etc. and came up with nothing. Just a cold dead machine. I acquired new PSU (Corsair AX760), rewired everything, turned it on, green lights across the board, computer starts to boot as normal. Except before it boots to Windows I get a screen informing me:

quote:

Windows failed to start.

Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors

Along with some other not so important stuff. I chuck my Windows disk in my CD drive and can get to the Windows install and repair screen, but that is as far as I get, every option from there throws up errors.

Attempted fixes: I initially tried to 'Refresh your PC' but get an error screen telling me:

quote:

The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

I then tried 'Reset your PC', again, error:

quote:

Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.

Attempting to Restore, Repair or Install Windows throws up similar errors.

I open the command prompt to run chkdsk and found no problems.

I then use it to run bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot, /rebuildbcd; which results in:

quote:

Successfully scanned Windows installtions, identified 1 installation, add installation to boot list? Y/N

Pressing Yes gets me another error:

quote:

The requested system device cannot be found.

Prompting bcdedit results in a similar error:

quote:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found.

I've also tried unplugging a secondary internal drive with no success, as well as swapping the cables around and double checking it's all plugged in.

I'm going to take the drive to a repair shop tomorrow and see if it boots in a different machine but I wanted to run this past you guys first to see if anyone has any other ideas I can try. I assume it's not looking good but thanks for your help anyway.

Recent changes: Installed a new PSU after my old one unexpectedly died.

--

Operating system: Windows 8 64-bit

System specs:
ASUS Z87-C Motherboard
Intel Core i5 4670k
ASUS GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB
Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply
Samsung 850 EVO Series 1TB SSD (boot drive)
and also a secondary Western Digital WD Black 1TB that doesn't seem to be showing up in the BIOS or anywhere. Not sure if this is relevant.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks again!

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This isn't a solution or anything, but it may provide more information about the situation.

Have you ever done anything to change or move the partition that windows is installed to?
I had to do a bunch of shifting around a while back to increase the size of my windows partition, and I had a the same error message come up when I tried to do a System Refresh the other week while trying to figure out if I had a dumb driver problem or if my motherboard was dying. My boot sector is fine, and everything boots fine, but I can't system refresh.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

A couple of months ago I moved Windows from the platter drive to the SSD. I remember having to rebuild the boot configuration data to get it to work.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

In a surprising turn of events I have successfully booted to Windows after running Auto Repair from the recovery disc.
I tried this before and was met with an error screen so not entirely sure what happened this time. One thing it could be is in the BIOS it listed my CD drive twice, as both a UEFI device and not. I thought I had tried all the options in both modes but maybe not?

Either that or messing around in the command prompt at least allowed the Auto Repair to run even if it didn't fix anything else.

So all in all I guess the lesson to take from this is never stop believing.

Issue resolved, I'll close the thread.

• Locked thread