Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
This is Dueratas Murate:

Basically, he's Google's Sir Jony Ives. After killing Palm, Google found him at a Starbucks where he was really angry that is soy latte wasn't made to his liking, so they hired him to somehow make Android not look like a mock operating system designed for a 90's TV show. Pictured here looking like a jackass in a jacket that I think is translucent.

This is Sundar Pinchey:

He's basically in charge of like fourteen different non-compatible and overlapping products at Google. When Larry Page gets tired of something, he makes Sundar in charge of it. Typically he's found sitting at his desk at four AM drinking gin out of a dirty coffee mug hoping to die. Pictured here looking like a jackass as he ponders blowing his brains out because again Larry decided to moonshot something that has no chance of working and will cost them millions and he'll eventually be in charge of managing.

This is Larry Page:

He founded Google with Mark Zukerberg (not pictured). He's pictured here looking like a jackass wearing google glass. He usually found in the passenger seat of a driverless car. That's a joke because Google is a corporation with no clear plan or direction and also he's working on some project with driverless cars, so when you almost get clipped by a car there'll be no one in the driver seat to give you the finger.

This is Sergey Brin:

Pictured here also looking like a jackass wearing Google Glass. Remember when it costs $1200 dollars and you were all tripping over yourself to buy it? He lost his voice sexually harassing a female Google executive (that eventually left to found Yahoo). Now he only speaks in his beautiful moon voice once a year at Google I/O to tell us Google is doing great things and not just trying to data mine us to sell us adds for car insurance and cat food.

Speaking of I/O, today is their once a year developer conference where we learn what new developments will be causing wake locks and killing battery lives in Android M (Malcolm McDowell). I hope you like screen shots of battery graphs! Look forward to seeing these fine captains of industry and others telling us how great their company is again!

Possible highlights of this years I/O:

• Google again attempts a new TV product. Google TV 2? Android TV 3? Chrome cast 2? Google Wavision2?
  • Google again promises to fix Android battery life problems
  • Google again promises to fix Android Wakelock problems
  • Google again promises to fix Android app permissions
  • Google again relaunches Google Wallet Android Pay
  • Google again attempts to show us a modular smartphone that doesn't boot
  • Google again shows us smart watches

Set your Google Watches to 9:30am PST/12:30pm EST for the keynote.

EDIT:
I/O Event link:
https://events.google.com/io2015/

EDIT2: Removed all the jokes

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bring back Google Wave!

Also, nice OP. I enjoyed the read.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Bring back Google Wave!

Also, nice OP. I enjoyed the read.

Google Wave was a fantastic idea that no one had any idea what to do with. It was basically web2.0-email. Email needs to die die die, I hoped Wave would maybe give us another idea, but sadly it confused everyone since most people are idiots.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Nice OP. I probably won't watch the live stream. Is there a live stream? I'll probably just read someone's blog and/or just wait for the threads impressions

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I don't see the need for a troll OP, but whatever.

Google will be livestreaming, but there is no live link yet:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

Is there a live stream?
Yes, they stream the keynote and then run a few (three, I think) channels showing various other talks over the two days, and most talks will show up online later.

The official site should have links to all of this once it gets started.

I'm heading off to I/O Extended in London (at Google's startup incubator thing, Campus) soon, should be fun.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

Google will be livestreaming, but there is no live link yet:

I apologize for comedy on a comedy site?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Google Wave was a fantastic idea that no one had any idea what to do with. It was basically web2.0-email. Email needs to die die die, I hoped Wave would maybe give us another idea, but sadly it confused everyone since most people are idiots.

This is 100% truth. To be fair, Google didn't know how to sell Wave either but you're completely correct. It's pretty much the perfect object lesson for the follow through being the difference between success and failure.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I wonder if we'll get a Android M preview today? Too many people are on Android L already, I like my phone OS to be the 1%.

Guess I could just get a blackberry.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Pro post OP. Voted 5.

that loving shirt

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I apologize for comedy on a comedy site?

You better be sorry for being funny. rear end in a top hat.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pro post OP. Voted 5.

that loving shirt

Yeah, this

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

Thank God!

Hope the rumors are wrong and Nexus 4 gets Android M! Any chance they'll announce something hardware related that isn't a TV product?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pro post OP. Voted 5.

that loving shirt

I really tried hard to find a pic of him with Google Glass, but I couldn't.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 28, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rastor posted:

This is the worst post ever made in IYG.

You should be ashamed.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there any info on Android Pay, or was that a joke? Google Wallet is so poo poo, and I'm jealous of (the idea of) Apple Pay.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Much better, thank you. I'm sorry, I just think it's important that posts in this forum be highly accurate so that we don't risk people being misinformed.

This appears to be the link for the livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V-fIGMDsmE

Here are some liveblog links, for those who can't load the stream:

The Verge

Ars Technica

Edit: Android Police

Android Central

Droid Life

Rastor fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 28, 2015

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Rastor posted:

Here are some liveblog links, for those who can't load the stream:

The Verge

Ars Technica

Android Central

Droid Life

which of these is the most tolerable and full of win

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

They are listed roughly in order of how I would rank them. On the other hand, some people would consider The Verge to be the least tolerable. So you may need to just open them all and then close the crappy ones, sorry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also they didn't know how to insert ads into it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

Ars Technica is probably the safest bet, but one of the Android-specific ones probably will have more spergy information.

I REALLY hope Google is able to implement Android Pay like Apple has with Apple Pay...I don't like using Google's current proxy card method for payments for anything expensive (too hard to dispute) and for anything cheap, my credit cards give 2-5% cash back, so still no point. If they can convince banks and hardware manufacturers to implement the secure NFC elements, though, I'm in.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Mogomra posted:

Is there any info on Android Pay, or was that a joke? Google Wallet is so poo poo, and I'm jealous of (the idea of) Apple Pay.

The Verge says they had placards around saying "Ask me about Android Pay" and when they asked they took the placards away. Images up on their liveblog.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The excitement is reaching fever pitch!

I'll laugh if it's Macaron

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tatsuta Age posted:

The only android specific site I bother with is Android Police, they actually have decent reporting:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/28/google-io-2015-live-blog/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

This appears to be the link for the livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V-fIGMDsmE

Now active.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

And they're playing PONG.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This clock is readable as gently caress, bet we're gonna see some bold new innovations to Material Design here!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I want that I/O screen as a wallpaper :3:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

vyst posted:

I want that I/O screen as a wallpaper :3:

It's criminal that I can't have that as a live wallpaper. :colbert:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

quote:

A little badass. Beautiful. Tech and human. Work and love. ATAP.
May 29 / 5:00 PM - 6:15 PM / Room 3 (L2)
Sessions, What's Next, Design, Tools & APIs, Audience Growth

Optimized for speed. Because we are, well, impatient. And someone should be. The engines on Project Ara are revved. We’re on the road to Puerto Rico. Creating the hardware equivalent of the software app ecosystem sometimes feels a little Dakar Rally, sometimes a little Le Mans. Fast. Difficult. Worth it. Speaking of fast… We’ll debut our newest Spotlight Story ‘Fast-and-Furious’ style. Justin Lin’s live action short goes live at I/O. In full 360 with 3D soundsphere. Whaaaat? Exactly. And wearables that we hope will blow your socks off. (We mean this more literally than you might think…) Our goal: break the tension between the ever-shrinking screen sizes necessary to make electronics wearable and our ability to have rich interactions with them. Why can’t you have both? We like to build new things. Sometimes seemingly impossible things. We can build them faster together. (Note: Tune into this live stream on CHANNEL 1.)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Gotta admit, I really dig the unnecessarily giant gently caress off video wall.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dude sucks rear end at pong

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
GET IT TOGETHER DAM

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

IuniusBrutus posted:

Ars Technica is probably the safest bet, but one of the Android-specific ones probably will have more spergy information.

I REALLY hope Google is able to implement Android Pay like Apple has with Apple Pay...I don't like using Google's current proxy card method for payments for anything expensive (too hard to dispute) and for anything cheap, my credit cards give 2-5% cash back, so still no point. If they can convince banks and hardware manufacturers to implement the secure NFC elements, though, I'm in.

From what they've said publicly so far, seems Android Pay will mostly be a rebrand of the Host Card Emulation & "Tap & Pay" settings screen which shipped in Kitkat, whereas Google Wallet will be one implementation which lives inside Android Pay. There's very little stopping Google Wallet from switching over to an implementation functionally identical to Apple Pay, since the later is really just a wrapper over the EMV Tokenization spec released March 2014. Keep in mind that the standard supports QR Codes, it has nothing to do with secure elements/lack there of.

Apple waited for an actual industry standard to emerge and did the necessary market research, whereas Google just rushed in head first.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
This is the event where they announce the Nexus 17 using some chips they found dumpster diving in in the Transmeta parking lot a decade ago, right?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I hope the special gift this year is a refurb Nexus 9 and a Nexus Q 2 and that's it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

This is the event where they announce the Nexus 17 using some chips they found dumpster diving in in the Transmeta parking lot a decade ago, right?

No, the Android Wearable thread with the Moto361 is this way >

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
:itshappening:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

People handin out fuckin snacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav