Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Do people really lose their cars that often? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Probably not, but it's pretty helpful if you're in an unfamiliar (part of) town.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Alzheimers is a serious problem in Silicon Valley.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I always thought the feature was neat but it's not accurate enough to find your car in a sea of cars. Just enough to tell you generally where it is... I would just rely on the "alarm" feature on the car remote to find it.

I'm probably doing something wrong, or I need to park in larger parking lots.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, high-accuracy location is going to have to get to where it uses a lot less battery before that parking stuff becomes useful to me.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Haha some dude had to bail

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Something good's coming up

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Applause damnit!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
"Now on Tap" sounds amazing as a feature but awful as a name.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Probably a better feature for people who live in places like San Francisco where you gotta park then walk then walk then walk to get somewhere and your car might be a mile away in some non-descript neighborhood.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
what's his real name :mrgw:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Excuse me google, but thats not my preferred pronoun

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Really. I'll try that, thanks. I'm always missing my kids doing stuff. The truth is I don't care about taking pictures of them anyways, though.

Yep, the very first update came in December (I don't even remember if it had a unique number) and just fixed the camera daemon. The reason you hadn't seen it until Lollipop was because Trusted Face didn't work well in KitKat anyway so you disabled it but now with geofencing and Trusted Locations & Devices, Trusted Face can work in concert with them to make them more effective. That overloads the daemon and causes it to crash (specifically what causes it is the switching between FFC and rear camera, which Trusted Face does all the time). Once it's "locked" into one camera or the other the crashes disappear. You can usually even force the error by opening the camera and switching between them a few times until it happens. It's pretty easy.

It's the most Android of Android bugs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Now on tap is pretty cool actually

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

They keep using Spotify instead of Play Music.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Those are poo poo emojis, gently caress that app

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Now on tap is pretty cool actually

This.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
doesn't need any modification to the app itself? sold.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

I get the feeling it's a way of showing it Just Works instead of being tied into the GoogleNet

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

baka kaba posted:

I get the feeling it's a way of showing it Just Works instead of being tied into the GoogleNet

Yeah, I think this is probably right.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, thats kinda weird. I want Play Music to keep getting better.

Contextual Google Now seems pretty damned cool.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
And photos.google.com now has a placeholder instead of a G+ redirect.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
loving preschool graduation?!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I don't understand how they did the Hugh Laurie search. Did they just click his name?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FunOne posted:

And photos.google.com now has a placeholder instead of a G+ redirect.

I hope they add another android app so I can have five shortcuts to ten different locations where these same photos are saved.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Logikv9 posted:

I don't understand how they did the Hugh Laurie search. Did they just click his name?

I guess? I literally said "holy poo poo" when that happened though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just unlocked my completely idle phone and there's a google search on screen with "what's his real name". Didn't wake up or notify me it was doing it.

Android.txt

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I thought Picasa was google photos. :v:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
sup picasa

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

vyst posted:

I thought Picasa was google photos. :v:

No, see this is Picasa, which was Google+ Photos.

Who is that knucklehead that pushed everything into G+ but got kicked out? The little dude with the Ernie shaped head.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Logikv9 posted:

Its been in the beta channel of chrome for a while, but this might move the feature to OS wide. Highlight text and it automatically does that mini search in the overlay tab.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The pinch timeline is kind of neat.

Also his wife is :quagmire:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Instantly jump back in time to a loading screen of photos.

Coming soon to Android: OS X iPhoto.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is Google going to finally unfuck photo management? Oh dear God. :stare:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That Photos app looks a little...sparse.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
"Let's tap on my face"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I was going to bitch about how I'll have to tag everything but no tagging required :what:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Jesus it finds people and groups them.
What the heck.

I imagine someone that it really ugly gets put in the food or animal section.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Google can ID you as a baby. Terminators looking scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Wait, I can get how it can find a consistent looking adult, but my son is four, and he looks nothing like he did when he was a new born. How is that possible?

• Locked thread