Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ng?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
They're easy to process. Part of that has to do with that they can only lie on one plane, probably.

But that's only for real-time graphics rendering. For other stuff you've got NURBS and subdivision surfaces. And in character modeling for stuff that isn't for games it's usually a bad idea to use triangles, and if you have to use regular polygons then you should use 4 point polygons.

H T H

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Or some poo poo IDK

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it helped, thanks

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
look at this sega saturn dev over here

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
triangles are the minimal representation of area, so they make pretty good primitives

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i think sega saturn had quads but even they gave up and ended up supporting opengl w/ triangles

so..arb/khronos i guess?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
this youtube playlist should help, op

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzH6n4zXuckrPkEUK5iMQrQyvj9Z6WCrm

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why not quadangles

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Doc Block posted:

They're easy to process. Part of that has to do with that they can only lie on one plane, probably.

But that's only for real-time graphics rendering. For other stuff you've got NURBS and subdivision surfaces. And in character modeling for stuff that isn't for games it's usually a bad idea to use triangles, and if you have to use regular polygons then you should use 4 point polygons.

H T H

wisdom

pram
Jun 10, 2001
whos the angle czar who thought we should just stop at three huh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
PyFAGorus

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doc Block posted:

H T H

please do not misuse real-time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fast and real-time are not the same or even similar

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

for real time stuff you have to go exactly the same speed or a dog bites you and you start over

pram
Jun 10, 2001

wild and crazy guys

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
learn some mathematics op

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

pram posted:

wild and crazy tri-s

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dr. Honked posted:

learn some mathematics op

math is a lot of work, i just want to be a fat piece of poo poo my entire life

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

my niggas

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

lookat this guy, gettin real caremad about somebody using a common term that also has a much more obscure meaning known only to people who know what QNX and VxWorks are.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 29, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001
blackberry is a real-time phone

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

fast enough that it appears to happen in real-time, often in response to input, such as in bideo games.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

please forgive bloody, he's an embedded programmer and thinks his definition of "realtime" matters to anybody else

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my favorite real-time software is realplayer

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

hobbesmaster posted:

for real time stuff you have to go exactly the same speed or a dog bites you and you start over

this was actually the plot of a trs-80 game i played as a kid

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

As a Millennial I posted:

please forgive bloody, he's an embedded programmer and thinks his definition of "realtime" matters to anybody else

it's just my little way of reminding all you website janitors once of the ways in which I am better than you :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I did, op

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

it's just my little way of reminding all you website janitors once of the ways in which I am better than you :)

I janitor no websites, nor do I janitor any computers.

Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

i think sega saturn had quads but even they gave up and ended up supporting opengl w/ triangles

so..arb/khronos i guess?

the saturn used quads because its polygons were just 2d sprites distorted by the 2nd vdp. this was so that they could do certain texture and lighting tricks at low cost but only sega ever took advantage of it as this rendering method was extremely non-standard which is a big reason they lost cred with devs. and they also gave up transparency for it so it was lose lose for sega

Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW
and even though dreamcast had triangles they still went with nonstandard rendering

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
doritos are also triangles

makes u think

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rad ROM Max posted:

and even though dreamcast had triangles they still went with nonstandard rendering

it was only non-standard at the time (PowerVR), but only because traditional painter's-algorithm hardware accelerated rasterizers like 3Dfx and nVidia's TNT/TNT2 were more common with regards to desktop GPUs. you still fed it triangles.

these days, PowerVR is used as the GPU for all iDevices (and all 2 not-completely-lovely Androids), due to the speed and efficiency gains of its tile-based deferred rendering architecture on shared memory devices vs traditional-style mobile GPUs like nVidia's Tegra.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 29, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BeOSPOS posted:

doritos are also triangles

makes u think

oh my god

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

now I can't unsee it.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
someone once decided to use ellipsoids instead op

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

remember when they used his theorem to prove that the sqaure root of two is irrational and he was all pissed about it lol
"come on guys orpheus wouldn't make irrational numbers" wat an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hey guys here's my paragraph long rant abotu graphics but its all loweracase so you know im chill and shitposting but also unbelievably pissde off and caremad

• Locked thread