Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I don't see nonprofit Atheists going to 3rd world countries and endangering their lives to help people for free . Your move, atheists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Communist fascist anime Marxist atheists just got rekt.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
http://www.atheistvolunteers.org/

im p sure someone on that site has done what you describe op

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I think it would be cool to have an Atheists Who Do Good Things club.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
but lol if you smugly and loudly identify as an atheist every time someone talks about religion

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Inevitable posted:

I think it would be cool to have an Atheists Who Do Good Things club.

AS AN ATHEIST i agree!

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

I don't see nonprofit Atheists going to 3rd world countries and endangering their lives to help people for free . Your move, atheists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

could you summarize please. And one man doesn't equal an entire organization.

Jul 30, 2013

Guys like this do it to help fellow human beings and they don't make it about religion.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

devin2 posted:

Guys like this do it to help fellow human beings and they don't make it about religion.

if he's atheist, i don't really see how he could make it about his religion???

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I know that's not the only thing such groups have done but I'm not sure if you can call proselytizing 'help'

also you need to prove there are no atheists in organizations that do not explicitly require religiosity in their membership, like for instance the Red Cross

Jul 30, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

could you summarize please. And one man doesn't equal an entire organization.

One man has fed millions if not billions of starving people that had never even heard of him. Let me know the next time any religious leader does something that actually directly AFFECTS the millions and billions who believe in him or her.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

devin2 posted:

One man has fed millions if not billions of starving people that had never even heard of him. Let me know the next time any religious leader does something that actually directly AFFECTS the millions and billions who believe in him or her.

Uhm, JESUS?????

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
it's like i'm dealing with complete retards here or something, jeez

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
atheists are a a bunch of narcissists so this should be no surprise

though I imagine some might do charity work out of spite

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

solaranus posted:

atheists are a a bunch of narcissists so this should be no surprise

though I imagine some might do charity work out of spite

:agreed:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Poetic Justice posted:

Uhm, JESUS?????

lol, you're off by a couple orders of magnitude there chief (there were THOUSANDS at the sermon on the mount)

Jul 30, 2013
ugh gently caress i got loving trolled

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

devin2 posted:

ugh gently caress i got loving trolled

another atheist rekt

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
needs more garbage dick in here. checking in.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Atheists not making a strong showing itt tbqh

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

u don't have to be religious to go help pplz in other countries, u could do it for western hegemony.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dungeon Ecology posted:

u don't have to be religious to go help pplz in other countries, u could do it for western hegemony.

lol if western hegemony is not the basis for your religion

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
i'm going to be a major kant and say that if you think it is your religious duty to volunteer you are a morally less worthy (though still potentially useful) human than someone who goes purely to save brown people

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

blowfish posted:

i'm going to be a major kant and say that if you think it is your religious duty to volunteer you are a morally less worthy (though still potentially useful) human than someone who goes purely to save brown people

Religion is just a delivery vehicle for ideas and practices.

Philosophy is the same.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
That is the only saving grace of religion, charity. Otherwise intolerable. And all the damage they did with missionary work/colonization is catastrophic.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Ork of Fiction posted:

Religion is just a delivery vehicle for ideas and practices.

Philosophy is the same.

so what does that mean for people whose religion revolves around a desire for all people different from them to be tortured for all eternity

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you identify as something, that is your self-proclaimed cultural identity. the distinction between religion and other profit-driven entities was invented by religious organisations solely for the purpose of getting tax exemptions. there is nothing that ties your cultural identity to a capitalist organisation like the church and jesus himself would be the first one to point this out. the religious/atheist dichotomy is false

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

quakster posted:

if you identify as something, that is your self-proclaimed cultural identity. the distinction between religion and other profit-driven entities was invented by religious organisations solely for the purpose of getting tax exemptions. there is nothing that ties your cultural identity to a capitalist organisation like the church and jesus himself would be the first one to point this out. the religious/atheist dichotomy is false

your only culture is bacteria

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
drat straight

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

quakster posted:

lol people pontificating broadly on religion is almost always inane but this is definitely among the most inane things I've heard on the subject

for starters, you realise that most religious organisations, in most places, throughout most of history, have paid taxes, right?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Obama is an atheist, as are all the Republican candidates for the presidency. You can tell because only an atheist could be so twisted and hateful.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
*endangering my life by going to the safest part of africa and handing out bottled water with jack chick tracts*

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lol people pontificating broadly on religion is almost always inane but this is definitely among the most inane things I've heard on the subject

for starters, you realise that most religious organisations, in most places, throughout most of history, have collected taxes, right?

:protarget:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a goatass slowly descends upon the poster, and quietly whispers "im gay"

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
really wanted to know the answer but the op is a jerk and is on my ignore list

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
Mother Theresa was an atheist. Check and mate.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Another one is that all the greatest Atheist art was either of a woman riding a tractor or a statue where someone triumphantly raises an implement over their head

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

Where is the proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Beef Turret posted:

Another one is that all the greatest Atheist art was either of a woman riding a tractor or a statue where someone triumphantly raises an implement over their head

by "Atheist art" do you mean art about/inspired by atheism, or just art by atheists?

• Locked thread