Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

tomstuart posted:

anime is bad

GO gently caress YOURSELF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Idk wtf humans in the animatrix were thinking. Robots clearly outclassed humans in terms of tech, growth and longevity. Why would you ever try to start a war, and if you started a war, why the gently caress wouldn't you decimate them to the last??

"Welp gonna bomb the superior-in-every-way enemy but gonna leave plenty of survivors."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

h2oxaddict posted:

I watched it on acid a few years back, it was extra awesome

Confirming that Animatrix goes good with drugs. Back when ecstasy was good and wouldn't immediately kill you popping two and putting the DVD in was fuckin sweet.

Especially the segment with the hosed up abandoned house.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

a bone to pick posted:

that's funny but all I remember is the black dude who ran so fast in the matrix he ran in real life lol

This is all I remember, too, except that I didn't remember that he was black because I'm not a racist.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I watched it while high on shroom tea and let me tell you that's a winning combination

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
i'm clearly watching movies wrong. there should be a thread of which drugs to take for said movies.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
The greatest anime about the future is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwnM3eMh3Q8

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
I never really get why you're supposed to empathize with robots. It's like that movie AI, I, Robot, etc... If it came down to it and I had to choose between the human race and machines, I'm going with the human race. Do you feel bad because your toaster is used to warm up bread? The whole concept is kind of ridiculous to me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
anime is so loving poo poo

watched the first video and its ok for a bit, then comes the EDGY AS gently caress FULL ON ANIME GORE! ANIME TITS gently caress YEAH THIS SHITS EDGY

anime is terrible

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I really like the 2nd Renaissance OP but I don't think this is the place for it.

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.
Is the Animatrix the little cartoon where they replaced robots with every repressed class of peoples? Didn't they have robots-slaves building the cyber pyramids and robot-servants being taken advantage of by cyber nobles? And wasn't there a robot civil rights movement that was squashed by cyber racists? I couldn't stomach that story because it made no sense to make robots that would be unhappy doing their job. The whole premise seemed bunk.

Edited What crotchgobbler said.

crotchgobbler posted:

I never really get why you're supposed to empathize with robots. It's like that movie AI, I, Robot, etc... If it came down to it and I had to choose between the human race and machines, I'm going with the human race. Do you feel bad because your toaster is used to warm up bread? The whole concept is kind of ridiculous to me.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
it's easier to feel the plight of the cyber serfs or whatever if you're on drugs is all i'm saying

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

iron_weasel posted:

Is the Animatrix the little cartoon where they replaced robots with every repressed class of peoples? Didn't they have robots-slaves building the cyber pyramids and robot-servants being taken advantage of by cyber nobles? And wasn't there a robot civil rights movement that was squashed by cyber racists? I couldn't stomach that story because it made no sense to make robots that would be unhappy doing their job. The whole premise seemed bunk.

Your toaster lacks self awareness, it cant think, but to have what would be considered really good ai is more likely to be self aware and have feelings like you or I than a toaster, fridge or hammer. The ol "I think therefore I am", the turning point in that story is that the robot explained it was afraid to die.

I have vowed to be extra friendly to all robots when they come around in the next few years. I think being robots they will have very good memories and will remembr my kindness and treating them as a brother when the poo poo eventually goes down.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 30, 2015

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

iron_weasel posted:

you know how many self righteous cunts would get up in arms if some stupid robo-butler said "i dont want to die"

i wouldnt give a hot gay gently caress but i dont think they would be able to resist

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

i'm clearly watching movies wrong. there should be a thread of which drugs to take for said movies.

pot brownies + dragonball evolution and you'll die laughing

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

h2oxaddict posted:

I watched it on acid a few years back, it was extra awesome

man i watched inception on mushrooms and it was so much more fun than the second time i watched it.

i like to hallucinate all of my movies.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
This is pretty loving funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqh-bXUtmE4

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
b1-66er did nothing wrong

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I went to the Matrix 2 premier in tokyo and Keanu was there and he said TOKYO TOWER GREEN and the tokyo tower turned green on the horizon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i always sympathize with the robots more than with humans, because humans are innately worthless but fictional intelligent machines might not be.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Reign Of Pain posted:

The greatest anime about the future is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwnM3eMh3Q8

thanks

I will watch it later

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

the animatrix is legit better than it has any right to be

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The more you think about the Matrix, the less sense it all makes, until the only possible explanation is that the "real world" is just another layer made for idiots who want to be special.

I mean it's really obvious. People probably just did it to themselves. Hooked up all of humanity to a virtual reality system because it's easier than reality. The AIs running it just want to make humans happy, but for some humans, the only thing that works is acting like the villains in a cyberpunk hellscape where those humans get the thrill of feeling like big heroes.

But then I guess that's not what's going on. The real world and all its plot holes are real. And the main appeal of the first movie (questioning our perception of reality) just gets completely forgotten so we can have some bullshit Terminator-style man vs. machine thing but with DBZ fight scenes.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zeike posted:

thanks

I will watch it later

After that watch this about the future and past on another world. MAYBE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucpelkpuiY

It's got Glenn Close, Jennifer Grey, Terrence Mann, Penn and Teller, John Shea, Bridget Fonda, David Johansen, Earle Hyman, Earl Hammond and Christopher Plummer.

Oh and Isaac Asimov made the English language revision

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
ok thanks!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I liked the part involving the horrifically-destructive machine war where robots on fire run across a desolate field while being shot at by dudes in mech suits who then get torn apart by lasers and mechanical tentacles.

Are there any other films out there that manage to pull off a similar "apocalyptic war of attrition" atmosphere? Aside from Terminator, I guess.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
any1 here seen the matrix before, its pretty good

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

gallop w/a boner posted:

I have been posting on these forums for so long that I remember reading a thread about the Animatrix before the second movie was released. Everyone was super pumped because it was going to be awesome :kheldragar:
Now you can go back in time, old-timer, if you have Archives

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Reign Of Pain posted:

After that watch this about the future and past on another world. MAYBE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucpelkpuiY

It's got Glenn Close, Jennifer Grey, Terrence Mann, Penn and Teller, John Shea, Bridget Fonda, David Johansen, Earle Hyman, Earl Hammond and Christopher Plummer.

Oh and Isaac Asimov made the English language revision

I live for poo poo like this, thanks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Wachowskis were pretty much right about the whole cross-media tie-in storytelling thing, now everybody watches like three Marvel movies a year and two SHIELD TV shows just to keep up with the plot for the next Avengers

if anything their problem was that they didn't think big enough

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Phobic Nest posted:

I live for poo poo like this, thanks.

Then you'll love this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHXx6K6tXus

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

rich white faglord posted:

anime is bad and every matrix after #1 is bad and op is bad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, anime is cool and good while things that are not anime are bad.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

actually, anime is cool and good while things that are not anime are bad.

sounds like something u would say if u were retarded and possessed by a gay evil spirit

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

sounds like something u would say if u were retarded and possessed by a gay evil spirit

i can be retarded, gay and evil on my own without any help from ghosts. doesnt make anime any less wonderful, though.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The machines were sentient long enough to develop sarcasm.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

i can be retarded, gay and evil on my own without any help from ghosts. doesnt make anime any less wonderful, though.

wrong, all of those things are caused by spirits, which are DIFFERENT from ghosts idiot

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Go ask Alice.

I think shee'l know.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Zeluth posted:

Go ask Alice.

I think shee'l know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A matrix prequel built on The Second Rennaisance shorts would own. Iirc in that story they opted to enslave the humans because they didn't really want to exterminate their creators. They forced the symbiotic relationship when they realized coexistence was probably impossible otherwise.

If you kept the wachowskis far the gently caress away and made a movie about that it would own

• Locked thread