Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We said we were "fairly certain" Jack was unkillable in Chapter 9 of Awful Emblem and then like 15 people found more and more complex methods to do it until I said gently caress you all I'm changing the map. Never say those words.

I recognize this hat and you're a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just have Zephiel and Idoun wander back on the map, him having realized he'd forgotten something or some such idea. They don't even need to move, if you want to keep the challenge of someone potentially killing everything else on the map, just stand at the edge of the map making ending it via killing everything literally impossible without actual hacking. And if you want to cover that possibility too, just give them something that makes them literally invincible, like Hardin is in 12. If you don't want to use them, the same concept could be applied to the manakete you have spawn in last.

Alternatively just end it in a scripted sequence of hordes of red units chasing them if someone does manage to kill everything. So an escape or rout victory, but they merely get an extra cut-in scene if they actually manage to accomplish the second.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lord Koth posted:

Just have Zephiel and Idoun wander back on the map, him having realized he'd forgotten something or some such idea. They don't even need to move, if you want to keep the challenge of someone potentially killing everything else on the map, just stand at the edge of the map making ending it via killing everything literally impossible without actual hacking. And if you want to cover that possibility too, just give them something that makes them literally invincible, like Hardin is in 12. If you don't want to use them, the same concept could be applied to the manakete you have spawn in last.

Alternatively just end it in a scripted sequence of hordes of red units chasing them if someone does manage to kill everything. So an escape or rout victory, but they merely get an extra cut-in scene if they actually manage to accomplish the second.

Ending it via killing everything already is literally impossible.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 8: Reunion or, gently caress Thrones Forever

With them, Castle Ostia has always been famously secure. For countless years, the castle has been said to be impregnable.

only does so for the castle's own protection...

Alas, Castle Ostia was built to withstand armies of generics, not a handful of average level ~8ish characters.

It's kinda big!

This feels like a "horse" kind of level. Even Marcus gets to come. If I had any sense, I would have brought, like, Noah instead of Rutger here. He's going to be kinda useless, while a dude who attacks Res (and doesn't suck at it, unlike some people I could mention) would have been rather nice to have.

How could Debias have failed against them?!

Uh, maybe by not using that one advantage he actually had...

Were those Ilian mercenaries that skilled?

:cawg:

...Or was the Lycian Army larger than we expected...?

It was like twelve dudes.

Including the mercs.

Whatever the case, they have broken into the impregnable Castle Ostia!

You keep using that word...

You over there!

Have the troops take defensive positions throughout the castle! Particularly around the throne room! We must not allow the Lycian Army any further into the castle!

Of course, sire!

I want you to have Lilina quietly assassinated during the battle.

I felt she might make a valuable hostage. But many of our rebel soldiers still swear loyalty to her. If we openly use her as a hostage, those soldiers may turn.

If that's the case, sire, would they not also turn if we assassinate her?

That's why I said to do it quietly, isn't it?! Kill her discreetly, and say that she was hit by a stray arrow. We can hold the enemy responsible! Now go!

Yes, sire...

Well that's not nice. Actually does explain why they wouldn't use that perfectly good hostage they have, but it's still not nice.

Elsewhere.

No, no. I'm on your side. My name is Astore. I used to work here in the service of the marquess.

You certainly aren't dressed like a servant.

A bit nosy, don't you think, old man? I'm a spy, see. I gather information, steal things, check on people... Things like that.

That explains it.

I've been running around Lycia gathering intelligence for about a month now. When I heard about Araphen, I got back as quickly as my legs would allow. And what do I find but those muttonheads Legance and Debias inciting rebellion! I couldn't save Lord Hector, but I won't let them take Lady Lilina.

Then you'll join us? Do you know where Lilina is?

Of course. Finding that stuff out is my job. Lady Lilina is locked in a small room in the heart of the castle. And Legance is stitting on the throne like he owns the place.

:negative: Thrones...

We have to hurry then. We must defeat the rebels and save Lilina before Narcian arrives from Bern!

And that's Lilina, right there.

...why would you build a room like that, anyway? Just in case you have a hostage you want conveniently assassinated or something?

The daughter of Marquess Ostia. Gentle and kind-hearted.

Starting as a level one character in chapter 8... Well, she is a mage so she'll not be that hard to train anyway.

Lilina's growths are HP 45, Mag 75, Skl 20, Spd 35, Lck 50, Def 10, Res 35. Her offensive growth is higher than Hector's and at least 1.5 times than anyone else we've ever seen (hacked characters not included). Let that sink in for a moment. Though, that speed seems like it could be a little shaky. We'll give her a chance, same as everyone else.

Well, almost everyone.

And here is the world's most inept assassin. Lilina can just sit in the corner he can't reach forever and not give a gently caress.

But I don't know how long I have before they start tossing something a little less inept at her, so let's get to business.

Business involves slinging anyone who still thinks they can walk around the battlefield over the behind of someone's horse.

A spy serving Ostia. Surrounded in mystery.

Astore gets to walk because he has 6 move, and because I want him stabbing poo poo.

HP 90, Str 35, Skl 40, Spd 50, Lck 15, Def 20, Res 20.

Growth-wise, he's kinda poo poo compared to Chad, but he comes in looking pretty good and you could probably do worse than to use him. If you have Chad up to a reasonable level, though, there's little reason not to stick with him.

Hell, even if you don't have him up to a reasonable level. Thieves gain a lot of exp.

There's not much to do on the first turn.

I wish I could see outside this chamber...

Lilina pipes up on the second turn, but there's not much else of interest.

Look at him and laugh.

I thought bringing Sue could be somewhat of a mistake, given her level one-ness, but she actually handles this very well.

Smears! Curse you Allen

After a couple of turns, the archer loses interest and goes to throw himself against the intruders and die like all his mates.

Oh, hey! I'll take this, if you don't mind.

Well, actually I'll take it even if you do mind. I think you'll have bigger things to worry about, though, like maybe arrows.

Not much to say about these enemies.

EXP is EXP, though.

Indeed,

...so it is for all of us. Speed? Speed.

Speed!

Floating pony.

This guy thinks he's being clever, drat near all my people are riding horses, and he brought a horseslayer.

Sadly for him, horseslayers are close-ranged weapons only.

I was not expecting Sue to do this well, but I'm glad she is!

Smears.

Pictured: Why Chad is better than Astore.

We're making progress!

Suddenly, in the room on the top left...

We can break it down if we hit it with our weapons.

"Or our heads. Heads might also work."

I have a pretty good idea of where she might be. I've known this castle for a long time. I do wonder what's causing all the noise, though.

The Lycian Army, perhaps? My brother must be with them...

...We can't be sure he's still alive. You had best keep your hopes low.

Ah... Yes, you're right.

Sir Barth, must you be so aloof? Bors is Wendy's only brother.

Oh, him. Yeah, we've got him alive, all right, but he might be wishing otherwise what with the dunce cap Roy is making him wear after his performance last time we let him on the field.

We must always stand firmly in reality.

But-

It's all right, Ogier. Sir Barth is right.

As a knight of Ostia, you must always remain calm. It matters not how grave the situation. Understood, Wendy?

...Yes, sir.

The three of them start up here. The main force will be reaching these enemies this turn, so it's pretty good timing.

A knight serving Ostia. Bors' younger sister.

Like Lilina, Wendy starts as a first level character. I have boosted her to level 5 with average stat-gains. This still does not make her very useful. However, her growths can be pretty good - HP 85, Str 40, Skl 40, Spd 40, Lck 45, Def 30, Res 10. I'm liking the 40s there. However, it would involve babying her for a while.

Also, why the hell do you look like a general, Wendy? I didn't change that much. Counting down to a spectacular crash: 5...

A knight serving Ostia. Humorless and severe.

HP 100, Str 60, Skl 25, Spd 20, Lck 20, Def 40, Res 2.

Yes, that is a 100% chance to gain HP.

Yes, that is a 2% chance to gain res.

Unlike our previous, sorta weird knights, Barth is more of a typical armour knight. He is more or less better than Bors at everything right now, though he is also like three levels higher. If you need a tank, he's looking pretty good for the job.

A mercenary hired into Ostia's service.

And finally we have Ogier the Merc-hog, in case you got Ogm... uh Deke killed somewhere along the way or just want more dudes hitting things with swords. He looks decent enough, though a bit behind in levels. Also comes with an armourslayer, which will be useful on this map.

HP 85, Str 40, Skl 30, Spd 145, Lck 55, Def 20, Res 15.

He'll use the regular steel sword for this, though. That's one really wimpy wall.

They're just in time to join in on the attack. Marcus leaves this archer with single-digit HP. That's some quality Jeiganning right there.

Sue gets the kill.

And Clarine gets a rather nice level patching up that HP Chad got when he gained his level.

Next turn, some more enemies start catching up. Wendy is still kinda squishy for an armour knight, but not as squishy as she could have been.

Still looks hilarious when she runs dudes through, though. :haw: Man, I love that beefy-rear end lance knights have.

This is not optimal use of my experience points, but I want Lilina out of there before they send in the killer ballistas.

Both of them miss. :saddowns:

Getting kinda embarrassing here, Lance...

They grow up so quickly...

Once we've thinned the herd a little, Marcus goes off and plays with these guys on the other side of the wall.

Sword to the chest!

Jerrot gets this poking another knight. He's pretty good right now!

New phase, new playmate for Marcus.

I'm actually more interested in using this room to ferry all my people through without having to tangle with the casters below than I am in the treasure right now. That said, I'm still going to loot whatever happens to get in the way.

I loving knew it!

Just as I thought. They're at it again.

...Wait, that's not a killer ballista.

How stupid can these nobles get? I'll never understand what fun it is fighting all the time. Oh well. I'll take the opportunity to swipe what I can.

And I'll help myself to your lockpick again.

Before that though, Marcus gets attacked by a mage with a new spell. If I'm not mistaken, it's effective against flying targets, but I kinda forgot to check.

We have two thieves, so one can swipe this while the other gets the door.

I'm not sure why they want to open Lilina's cell, but I don't mind! Also, I've learned my lesson from last time; Cath spent like four turns blocking the doorway to a treasure room because I didn't give her anywhere to go. So now, there's an open path and everything is just fine. Also, my lockpick now. Thanks.

Roy accosts Cath again, and I find to my shame that his line still brings up certain associations in my head but enough of that look dialogue.

Ugh, you again... Er, fancy meeting you here! Ha ha ha...

...You're a thief.
You shouldn't steal. It's not right.

Nah, it's fine. I only take from the rich. No one's going to starve or anything.

That doesn't make it any better.

Oh really? then let me offer you this.
You nobles take food and money from people living in what you call your land. How is tax collection any different than tribute to a bandit?

We protect the people in return!

You do not! You kill them in wars like this!

We didn't start this war. Bern invaded, so we have to defend the people...

You can't just do anything you want and say you're defending us! How does burning down villages help us anyway?!

Burning down villages? We never-!
Wait a minute, was your...?

...My village was burned to the ground by our marquess. He said that he had to do it to prepare for Bern's attack.

But... that's...

We always had barely enough to get by, and then we lost everything... Our homes... Our crops... And here you come, saying it's wrong to steal? Ha! Look who's talking! The nobility steals from the poor so you can live in lucury at our expense!

I... I don't know what to say.

Sigh. Don't get gloomy. I really don't like talking about how pitiful we are anyway. But you started it.

I...

Ah, to heck with this. It's no fun stealing after a conversation like that. I'm outta here. Ta-ta!

She's still not joining my party :saddowns:

That marquess is kinda a jerk though. I've heard of burning the crops because you don't want the enemy eating them, but the whole village is overkill.

Roy will carve her a new village from the flesh of his enemies. Wait, no, that would be gross.

Her lockpick, however, does join us. And next turn, her vulnerary, too.

(So uh, Roy, about that "stealing is bad" thing...)

Guess who totally missed what kind of lance this knight has :downs:

I was totally expecting Roy to have dialogue with Lilina here.

Turns out she has dialogue with him instead.

Yes, it's me!

You came! Thank you so much.

I'm so glad you're unhurt. Here, take this spell tome. Use it to defend yourself for the time being.

Thanks.

She... gets a thunder tome I'm pretty sure Roy didn't have in his inventory.

Thought process:

• "Oh, he had a Killer lance..."
  • "Eh, it's only Treck, no big deal."

With Lilina safe, we'll loot the rest of this room. The last chest has a Knight crest, which I'm sure I'll appreciate a lot in about 5-10 maps or so.

Then Clarine picks up Chad so she can get him over to the other treasure room before he spouts grey hairs.

Lilina does away with the Killer Lance knight with her new tome. Toasty!

Should be no more trouble now, only two dues and a boss left... and Cath, who'll be running off doing whatever it is she does when she runs off.

...but just in case...

That is cheating!

More of them here, too?

Lilina nukes that merc and gets exactly what she needs.

Ogier gets the archer. He feels compelled to move with great haste.

And Sue, too. She gets this feathering one of the soldiers who appeared on the lower left.

Again?!

Son of a gently caress!

At least Shanna can poke one of them and... get started on plugging up her biggest weakness. And nothing else.

Funny thing I'd still take this level over one with all the others in it. Shanna needs that strength.

Allen secretly thinks Bors' dunce cap looks really neat and wants one for himself.

Saul knows better.

Son of a bitch it never ends

But they are worth experience, and much like with Shanna, Lance really, really needs this.

That's the last mage down. This level is a lot worse than it looks.

There's even more.

Whyyyy

He even gains another level. A little more of a typical Jeigan one.

Man, what an Astore.

In my haste to reach Lilina, I neglected to bring, like anything that is good against knights. These two will live for many, many more rounds.

gently caress yo' reinforcements, rear end in a top hat.

Now that he's within reach...

A commander in the Ostian army. Leads the rebellion.

Legance is an rear end in a top hat. 14 Def and a throne? And he's got decent avoidance too, with that speed and luck.

:gonk:

I shall cut you down where you stand!

No you shan't, I'm making drat sure of that. Cheating, actually. Ogier's 44% hit rate with the armourslayer won't cut it, so I'm going to RNG abuse. Bite me.

Meanwhile though, we'll empty the second room. The other three hold a silver axe, secret book, and a guiding ring.

Dunce caps for everyone!

Meanwhile, Lilina needs to get a shot in on this asshat as well.

I see the assassination failed...

You should have sent a more motivated assassin, guy just sat there for two turns and gave up.

Legance... Why?

Times are changing, milady.

And this is why a certain person is now known as Marth.

I won't be left in the dust. I'm not like Lord Hector. He was too foolish to accept the obvious.

Hush yourself! I will not let you insult my father!

And she actually hits! ...For two damage. It's the thought that counts.

Marcus promptly drags her out of the danger zone, I don't think she can take a javelin hit from this guy.

Far too many rounds later...

How? You will only... be crushed by Bern... How can you fight with such conviction...?

It's because we gotta go fast.

And that's the map.

It was awful.

Thank you, Roy. I'm glad that my father didn't have to go to the trouble.

Not as awful as having to tell Lilina her dad is dead, though.

Roy, is my father still in Araphen? I heard there was a horrible battle there, but how much longer will he be?

Lilina... You haven't heard?

Heard that?

Lord Hector... passed on.

What...?

I'm sorry... By the time we arrived at Castle Araphen... It was already under Bern's control.

It's not your fault... Don't apologize.

Lord Hector had been fatally wounded when we arrived. If only we had gotten there sooner, we could have helped him...

No... I... was prepared for this... I am the daughter of a warrior. I've been taught to steel myself in times such as these.

Lilina.

Everybody kept it from me... They didn't want to hurt me... But I'm strong... I can handle this...

Lilina, you don't have to hold back...

Roy... I...

We'll get through this... I'm here for you.

Well. I'm glad it's over, is all I can say. Next time, I'm sure things will be much less depressing and involve far less cheating bastard generals on cheating bastard thrones.

Right?

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 29, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Merc-hog.
Servknight.

Koopa Knight.

The first two were damne funny but Wendy killed me.
Vilkacis you are a credit to fire emblem.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hey Vilkacis, you know what's a guaranteed hit and does decent damage to Leygance (who is indeed a giant gently caress)?

:v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I did that on my 1st run and it was super helpful.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Lego knight :mad:

quote:

Vilkacis you are a credit to fire emblem.

Yes. This is true.

Sunnuvabitch.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He's a servbot knight and I will have no other explanation.
DEATH OF THE AUTHOR!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

But I'm not dead yet :argh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Roy needs a new portrait.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can't post that and not also show his dumb-rear end pants:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Donkey Kong can't believe those dumb-rear end pants.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Artix posted:

Insurrectionist posted:

Donkey Kong can't believe those dumb-rear end pants.

Hey man, do you know how cold Ilia gets? That's just layers right there, and if he goes some place warmer, he can just take them off without removing his pants! it's genius!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They're like mudflaps for his feet. I love it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Artix posted:

It's like they fused his FE6 design with his Awakening DLC artwork.

Admittedly, I wish they went with Drakengard Roy, personally.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

vilkacis posted:

I've been taught to steel myself in times suceh as these.

In other news - Roy is in the latest Smash Bros? There goes the repeating joke on Awkward Zombie.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Here's Roy's color palettes for Smash 4. It might just be my hopeful dreams, but I can see a little Bors in that last one :v:.

Speaking of that I found this panel of Thor in a comic and I couldn't stop myself.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

vilkacis posted:

A mercenary hired into Ostia's service.

And finally we have Ogier the Merc-hog, in case you got Ogm... uh Deke killed somewhere along the way or just want more dudes hitting things with swords. He looks decent enough, though a bit behind in levels. Also comes with an armourslayer, which will be useful on this map.

HP 85, Str 40, Skl 30, Spd 145, Lck 55, Def 20, Res 15.
Pretty sure you made a typo there :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Red Metal posted:

Pretty sure you made a typo there :v:

Or he just edited it so for the sanic joke. Besides some dude we'll see in the future also has growth rates about 100%. For all of the one level he can gain.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
As if Sonic would have a sub 100 speed growth.

e:fb

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

How do you keep finding uh I mean inserting all those typos into my posts?!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

vilkacis posted:

This is not optional use of my experience points, but I want Lilina out of there before they send in the killer ballistas.

I'm actually more interested in using this room to ferry all my people through without having to tangle with the casters below than I am in the treasure right now. That said, I'm sitll going to loot whatever happens to get in the way.
Did you mean 'optimal' for the first one?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

You're already doing sillier poo poo than I could think of.

Have to up the ante, I guess.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

NullBlack posted:

Did you mean 'optimal' for the first one?

:negative: It keeps happening!

:catstare: what.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lilina/Oujay Support posted:

C Support
Lilina: Hello, Oujay.
Oujay: L-Lady Lilina!
Lilina: Oh, don’t act so tense like that… I just wanted to talk with some people from Ostia.
Oujay: Um…all right.
Lilina: Talk to me. Let’s see… Tell me about your hometown.
Oujay: My hometown? Well… It was just an ordinary village. We were poor… The reason I came all the way out to the city was to make money to feed my younger brothers…
Lilina: You have brothers? How nice. Do you have any sisters?
Oujay: …I have one sister who’s a little younger than me.
Lilina: Really? What’s she like? Is she cute? Does she look like you?
Oujay: I… I was still young, so I don’t really remember. But I still remember holding her hand. Her hand…it was so small and delicate.
Lilina: That’s so sweet… I always wanted a younger sister, too.

B Support
Lilina: Oujay, how is your sister doing?
Oujay: ……
Lilina: Is she at home? Or did she come out to Ostia with you? If she did, I would like to…
Oujay: I’m sorry, Lady Lilina, but…
Lilina: Tell me. I’d love to meet her.
Oujay: She’s not around any more.
Lilina: What? Why…?
Oujay: Lady Lilina… Our village was very poor. …It is the men who become workhands. Girls…have no place. We don’t have any extra bread, either, so… When a girl is born in a poor family, we put pretty clothes on her and leave her in a faraway town.
Lilina: ……
Oujay: …We were poor. I don’t hold anything against my family. If we hadn’t done what we did…we would have just starved.
Lilina: …I’m sorry…
Oujay: Lady Lilina?
Lilina: I’m sorry… I…didn’t know anything… I didn’t know anything… and I…I just…
Oujay: D-Don’t cry! Please, Lady Lilina…

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

:catstare:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:staredog:

...Well, could have been worse, I guess.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:stonk:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 8x: The Blazing Blade or, The Thong of Roland

With Bern coming full force however, Roy's army is no equal. Therefore, he decides to try and obtain a legendary weapon. He thinks it best to obtain it before Bern manages to get their hands on it.
Lilina shows them to a cave on the outskirts of Ostia, where a legendary weapon is hidden. The cave, located at the foot of a volcano, will be no small obstacle for Roy...

Lies and slander, this will be the chillest map yet, and it's taking place in a volcano so you know it's chill.

Not small, but chill. (Don't ask me about the green stuff, it's, like, holes or something.)

The boss is some random schlub -

- sitting on a loving throne right in the middle of a loving volcano because that makes loving sense you loving fuckburgling fuckers :argh:

Also Wendy is actually a general now, what the gently caress even.

Along with a line of codebreaker crap to reset her to knight so she can gain some experience, I decide on this party. Since we don't have any especially pressing matters to attend to this time around, I'm okay with leaving all the horses behind, and we have quite a few people on foot who need experience.

Also, Roy has a killing edge and will not crit once.

What?! How many of them are there?

Dunno, Boss. Not too many, I hope...

It's strange, though... The lords of Lycia have bigger fish to fry than bandits like us.

Well? What do we do?

I don't expect they know much about this cave. Just lure them onto the lava geysers and get rid of 'em.

Spoiler: Lava geysers will not prove very effective in getting rid of us.

Nor will Henning's men. Henning himself is a bit of an issue because he's a loving bastard Hero on a loving bastard throne, but I still don't hate him as much as that creep Legance.

The legendary weapon is on the other side of this flaming crevice.

Well... maybe not just yet. But I can't afford to be in sorrow. Ostia needs me to protect it, just as it needed my father before me.

I'm just glad you're all right, Lilina.

No, nothing. Let me tell you what I know about the weapon. The sword here was used by Roland himself, one of the Eight Legends.

So surprise surprise, the weapon sitting around Hector's castle is not Hector's big-rear end axe.

Roland... The first marquess of Ostia?

Exactly. He's my ancestor. This sword is called Durandal, the Blazing Blade.

:raise: Then why is the Sword of Seals the one that's on fire? I've seen your promoted sprite, Roy...

Durandal... The name has a strange echo to it.

Almost as if it were one of those generic overused and over-abused fantasy names that pop up in everything. Though, FE6 actually has it used by a guy named Roland, so I guess I should give them props for that.

So Roland used Durandal to fight the dragons during the Scouring?

That's how the legend goes. They also say that after the war ended, Roland returned to his home of Ostia. He raised Durandal high above his head, and the hearth scorched by the flames of war suddenly blossomed with life again.

Wow... That sword has quite the story to it.

It is possible it has been a tiny bit distorted over time.

It's a weapon that can defeat dragons, so it must have some exceptional powers.

Such as the power to be used exactly 19 times before the next swing makes it crumble to dust and disappear forever.

...Oh, yes. I heard that a group of bandits has made its base here. Will the sword be all right? Might the bandits have taken Durandal?

Oh, no, don't worry yourself about that. Only descendants of Roland know how to remove Durandal from its sheath.

That's reassuring.

That's confusing. I thought Eliwood was supposed to be Roland's descendant and :psyduck: you know what never mind I'm just going to accept that FE7 retcons the poo poo out of this game and be done with it.

All that's left then is to rid this cave of the bandits and take Durandal.

This will not be tremendously difficult.

There's a couple of dudes conveniently within reach from the starting position, so...

Time to get Dorothy some levels.

There's a couple of others waiting up top. Lilina can take one axe hit. She makes for excellent bait, and also staff practice for Saul.

After the enemy's turn, flames spout from some of the glowing tiles on the floor. It seems to be random which ones. They don't hit anyone this round.

The enemies on the left will chase after you, so...

Wolt has an easy time finishing this guy. He's one-shotting dudes with the steel bow! Our little :synpa: is all grown up.

And Dorothy gets the merc on the right. I'd have preferred if you put that other point in strength like your much-better colleague, but I'll take speed.

Noah finishes the mage, but doesn't get much for it.

Wendy needs exp, but she can't finish this guy on her own and anyone else will kill him.

But wait!

She doesn't level up, though.

There are three fighters left in the passage to the left. Imagine all three of them being about this useful.

Next round, Wendy finds something she can kill on her own. (It was an archer, which explains everything.) Certainly an armour knight level.

And Roy could double and one-round this guy, but then he'd be in range of a caster and another jerk hanging around just off screen. So he doesn't. But he could. And that is cool. Roy is cool. Even in the middle of a volcano.

Properly weakened, this guy poses no threat to Dorothy.

She doesn't quite get enough to level again, though.

Wolt and Dorothy are starting to fall behind, so I'm having them kite this idiot back to the main group. He gets barbecued.

It's enough to let Dorothy finish him.

???

Well, if he doesn't want to come to us...

:unsmigghh:

Bors still doesn't get a level, though. Also ignore poor Wendy and her weird general sprite, she appears to be under the delusion that she's a Jeigan.

Mercs can double Barth. Barth cares not.

He kinda has to care when he gets cooked in his own armour, though.

Wendy, too. More staff EXP.

More staff EXP.

More mag is more healy.

I'm only including this because I like the impending doom kind of look it has.

If you're going to get HP and one other stat, strength is probably the best for Bors.

Roy stabs this archer.

And does not let me down.

The guys in the corner apparently need a written invitation. I send Ogier.

By the way, the archer next to Roy is Wolt, taking the place of the enemy one Roy stabbed.

I was hoping he'd draw out all of them, but only this idiot takes the bait.

:flashfact:

Look what we have here!

Lord Roy, is something wrong?

...Just call me Roy. I've known you all my life.

I appreciate your kindness, but rules are rules.

"Your father would have me drawn and quartered if I spoke disrespectfully. ...I guess."

Do you really think so? You suddenly feel so distant to me.

"It's your stats, bro. I'll never be able to catch up no matter what I do."

What are you saying? I'm right here in front of you.

That's not what I meant.

Ha ha, I know. But enough talk. We haven't time to laze about here.

Let's go! The battle awaits us, Lord Roy.

That's kind of depressing.

So's the fact that I actually have to give these assholes a written invitation.

are you loving kidding me

Fine. Be that way.

These ones are that way, too. I put a nice, juicy archer right in this guy's attack range, and he didn't even blink. Well, if the mage won't come to the archer...

The others are a little more cooperative.

Wendy gets another Armour Knight LevelTM out of this. At this point, she's the same level as and almost as good as Bors.

The knights can only weaken the fighters,

...so Dorothy gets her kill on.

Nice!

Lilina gets the second one.

don't you loving start

They won't budge.

Fine. We'll oblige them.

Lilina may well overtake Noah in raw power, but she is never going to catch up in terms of speed.

A killing edge isn't that big a threat when your base damage is 2.

And an armorslayer isn't that big a threat when you have no armor to slay.

Ehhh...

The dudes up there are also hard to draw out, so I'm letting Noah... uh... not do this because I don't need that much staff EXP.

Flier or not.

The axe dude can't resist a poor, helpless archer.

Sadly for him, said archer is Wolt and he can take care of himself.

Noah gets nuked by the mage and can't even finish the job. Weak. Roy will have to break out the killing edge.

He does not crit, but he doesn't need to. And since we're now in range to attack him...

The leader of a group of bandits that roams around Ostia.

"Roamed", game. "Roamed". :smug:

Henning is a boring boss with a boring face and I couldn't think of anything interesting to replace it with. He has hella speed and a steel blade, so he could be kinda dangerous.

Yeah, I don't fancy Ogier's chances against this throne-squatter. I'm parking Roy with the killing edge in front of him and Wolt to the side. Henning has a hand axe, but he never ends up switching to it.

While I wait for him to attack, Lilina finishes the last axe bandit for are you loving kidding me

(Unlike last time, we couldn't Jet Stream Attack this guy even if we wanted to because these are walls. Argh.)

How did you find yourselves in here? I'm afraid I can't let you go.

Good job on that.

Though Roy also misses, so ehhh. Looks like it's time for another drawn-out slugfest.

Well, she did get Mag, so I might as well put it to use. (Barth and Wendy rescuedrop her out of there as soon as she's done, though.)

Speaking of!

O-oh! Hello, Wendy. What a... uh... coincidence!

It is good to see you well. Do you need something, Brother?

No... I don't. I was just walking around and I ran into you. Yes.

OK...

Are you hurt? Your armor isn't too heavy?

No, I am fine, Brother. I must be off, though...

Leaving already? You could rest a bit longer...

Thank you for your consideration, but this is a battle.

Y-yes, of course... Take care.

Someone is concerned :3:

I'm also concerned, concerned that this will take like 40 minutes unless someone gets their butt in gear.

...not you, Dorothy.

So about that killer bow...

drat it Wolt!

Henning goes for Roy again. Roy swings his killing edge for the... fourth? time and doesn't crit.

drat it Roy!

But Wolt makes up for it on the next turn.

Ah, blast... I knew this would happen...

Too late to surrender now, get your dead rear end off that throne so I can seize it :frogout:

:allears: Wolt.

That was more time consuming than challenging.

I don't think many of us will be able to swing it.

History has it that Roland was a small man. Any fighter skilled enough should be able to wield the sword.

By which she means it's no longer PRF-locked to a guy who's not in our party.

Sadly though, Durandal requires an S-rank in swords to wield, and the closest we have is a couple of dudes with C-ranks. It's a while off yet.

Then if I become better with the sword, I could use it as well?

Well... I don't know about that.

Oh, come now. Have SOME confidence in me, at least!

:haw:

Roy needs some ointment for that first degree Bern.

Hee hee!

:krad:

No rest for the wicked, though.

So they are!

And apparently we were at... the arena the whole time? ... I'm not going to try to make sense of this.

And of course Narcian is on the brightly coloured one in the middle.

I thank you for ridding me of that cretin Legance. Now, leave Ostia to me and we can all go home with our limbs attached.

I'll never hand Ostia over to the likes of you...!

Oho? You think you can best us with that sad little group of yours?

Suddenly,

...an army of NPCs!

Mage General Cecilia informed that the Lycian Army had requested Eturia's aid.

drat, Merlinus must have sent that letter using some kind of express service.

...Express pigeon?

How does this work, again?

What...?!

Can those wyvern riders of yours stand against our might?

"I've got like eight mages with Aircalibur, just so you know. :smug:"

You...!

I am Cecilia, Mage General of Eturia! Ostia is now under our protection.

General Perceval is one of the most skilled knights in Eturia! Combined with General Cecilia, we haven't a chance!

I know that! We're leaving!

Well I wanted to introduce his face to our new sword, but since none of us can actually use it, a nice big helping of humiliation will be fine, too. Besides, we can always sword him later.

We'll see who has the last laugh!

Narcian flounces off and takes all his wyverns with him.

Y-yes, I am! I lead the Lycian Army in Lord Hector's place.

It's a pleasure. You have my sympathy for the current turmoil in Lycia. Our king also sends his condolences for Lord Hector.

Thank you. If you hadn't helped us... Ostia would be under Bern's control now.

You have no reason to thank me. I simply followed my king's orders. You should thank Cecilia. She defied the king until he agreed to help you.

She... opposed the king?

Yes, she put her neck on the line.
Well, I must be off. Eturia calls. As one of the three Generals of Eturia, it requires my presence.

Yes. Thank you, Perceval. Leave the rest to me.

Percy leaves.

Just his presence was intimidating.

General Cecilia! It is good to see you again.

How are you, Roy? You look a little tired.

I'm fine, thanks to you. It could have been a calamity.

I'm glad we made it in time.

I'm sorry I put you through so much trouble.

Don't be. It will benefit Eturia for Ostia to go under our protection.

Benefit Eturia? How?

Bern's been increasingly aggressive, as you know. If Bern gains any further strength, the balance of power will be shattered.
Still, we haven't been attacked, so we couldn't simply declare war.

So when we requested aid, it was justification to declare war on Bern?

Precisely. We only did what is best for our land. You needn't feel that you are in our debt.

If you insist. Regardless, please come in and meet the rest of the army.

Roy runs off.

He's maturing into a man.

"Maybe one day he'll even be able to grow a proper beard."

Cecilia follows Roy out north, and that's a wrap! Next... looks like we'll have a chance to cool down after the volcano, at least. I'm sure it will be great. They wouldn't throw thrones at me three maps in a row, would they...?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

vilkacis posted:

Cecilia follows Roy out north, and that's a wrap! Next... looks like we'll have a chance to cool down after the volcano, at least. I'm sure it will be great. They wouldn't throw thrones at me three maps in a row, would they...?

More on topic I love that there is somehow a Knight Triangle Attack. Like they were like "This is way too convenient and easy to use when you only have to deploy 3 of the same class who are really maneuverable". Unless this is the first Triangle Attack in the series, which I'll then just chalk up to a learning experience.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
That was impressively bland for a chapter about claiming a super-sword.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

More on topic I love that there is somehow a Knight Triangle Attack. Like they were like "This is way too convenient and easy to use when you only have to deploy 3 of the same class who are really maneuverable". Unless this is the first Triangle Attack in the series, which I'll then just chalk up to a learning experience.

Nope! The Triangle Attack debuted with the original Peg Sisters trio of Palla, Catria and Est. In FE4, you had two groups of Triangle Attacking enemies (one set Falcoknights, one set mages :psyduck:) and then here in 6 we have the amazing plodding tank trio.

Fast forward to FE12 and you get a Triangle Attack with Cord and Bord and BartzBarst.

vilkacis posted:

Number of missions in FE6: 25 + 6 gaidens
Number of missions in FE6 that don't have "Seize Throne/Gate" as a victory condition:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

With the amount of pointless name changes, I'm surprised Cecilia didn't end up as Cecelia.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

KataraniSword posted:

Nope! The Triangle Attack debuted with the original Peg Sisters trio of Palla, Catria and Est. In FE4, you had two groups of Triangle Attacking enemies (one set Falcoknights, one set mages :psyduck:) and then here in 6 we have the amazing plodding tank trio.

Fast forward to FE12 and you get a Triangle Attack with Cord and Bord and BartzBarst.

Don't forget the bow one for oscar/boyd/rolf in 9 (and 10?)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It always surprised me that IntSys went with Bors/Wendy/Barth for a Triangle Attack option, instead of a more interesting option: Zealot/Treck/Noah. Three (non-flying) mounted units charging at you looks more intimidating than three heavily armored units slowly plodding towards you. Plus, it'd make the Illian cavaliers, you know, somewhat useful.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
So is Noah a Shaman that can use everything but dark magic?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:gonk: Go back to your own game, we already have a Marth.

quote:

I mean I like the knight triangle attack, but I'm pretty sure that extra point of move makes it a whole lot more useable than it would otherwise have been.

GeneX posted:

That was impressively bland for a chapter about claiming a super-sword.

Are you kidding, it was a totally rad super tense battle in the middle of a volcano! With a throne in it!

...yeah I'm choosing to believe they're saving the excitement for when we actually get to use the sword.

AradoBalanga posted:

It always surprised me that IntSys went with Bors/Wendy/Barth for a Triangle Attack option, instead of a more interesting option: Zealot/Treck/Noah.

That would involve using a prepromote, though, and ew.

Still, no reason they can't have more triangle attacks. It'd be pretty great if every trio of vaguely related characters had one.

Miacis posted:

So is Noah a Shaman that can use everything but dark magic?

That was actually my intention, but I forgot shamans get dark magic innately so he has that too OOPS. Originally I figured it was only fair to give him two types since his original self has both swords and lances, but, well. He doesn't have staves, though!

Really he's only a shaman is for variety since I already had one mage and was pretty sure Lilina would be showing up soon as well. I would have gone with monk, but well, that would involve hacking in a whole new class.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Lilina is proving her worth as the biggest, least accurate cannon made of the finest glass :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 9: The Misty Isles or, Great Scott!

However, Bern's belligerent movements toward Lycia come to an abrupt halt, as if to mock Roy and his caution. Bern also maintains a neutral position on an offer of a treaty from Eturia.
Bern's sudden silence and lack of activity can only be described as eerie.

Eliwood summons the council of marquesses to Pherae to discuss future actions. It is decided that Eliwood is to lead the council of the Lycian League. A new Lycian Army is also to be established. This new army's purpose is not to take the offensive against Bern, but rather take a defensive stance for Lycia.

Gradually, the attitude and morale in Lycia begins to improve. People once again conduct business without fear, and they embrace a new optimism.

Well if the apocalypse wasn't going to happen before, we've pretty much guaranteed it now.

Many outlaws make their bases there, and anarchy is said to rule. Many in Lycia are uneager to send their troops to the Isles to deal with bandits, but having received Eturia's aid in Ostia, they have no choice but to oblige. Thus, Roy and the Lycian Army pass through Eturia toward the Isles.

Presently, they are colonies of Eturia. The Western Isles are rich in resources, so mining is a major industry here. However, these resources are worth a fortune.

As such, the people of the Western Isles live in constant fear of bandit attacks. Roy is sent to vanquish these bandits...

And with him...

...he has this little beauty, because 20 uses for Ye Olde Legendary Sworde is just dumb. Did you know that the original Roland, while dying, attempts to destroy his Durandal so it won't fall into unworthy hands?

Anonymous wrote rather than posted:

Well knew the good Count Roland that his death was hard at hand.
His strength he strove to gather, and on his feet did stand.
The colour from his visage forth was driven and dispelled,
And in his hand the naked brand, even Durendal, he held.
Before him was a great brown stone amidmost of his path.
Ten strokes he smote upon it in agony and wrath.
Girded the steel but broke not. No notch was on the blade.
"Ah," said the Count, "St. Mary come now unto my aid.
Ah, Durendal! good war-sword, evil is thy destiny.
The day whereon I lose myself I cannot care for thee.
Many battles I won with thee, many lands did overthrow,
Where now doth reign King Charlemagne with the beard as white as snow.
Mayst thou ne'er be his possession, for another that will flee.
For it was a good vassal that a long time carried thee.
In the land of France another his like there will not be."

But the sword just goes like, gently caress that noise.

Anonymous wrote rather than posted:

Again the sword of Roland down on the dark stone fell.
He smote more oft and harder than I know how to tell.
Grided the sword upon the stone, but shattered not nor broke.
Back again into heaven it rebounded from the stroke.

If it wasn't obvious enough, what I'm getting at is that if Roland killed approximately half the population of Spain and went apeshit on a big rock with this thing and it still didn't break, Roy stabbing 20 dudes only to have it disintegrate in his hands is Dumb and I do not like when things are Dumb.

(Also that you should read the Song of Roland, it's pretty cool.)

So. Yay. Fog of war map.

:pseudo: DID U KNOE :pseudo:

...that you can cheat by moving a thief around on the pre-deployment screen and use the Thief-o-Vision to scout out the map?

Because you totally can.

Suckers.

So after doing that (and resetting once because reasons) this is the party I ended up with. I'd have liked to bring Shanna and Lilina because they still need more exp, but well, being made of wet tissue paper on a FoW map with archers lurking doesn't seem like a good way to live a long and healthy life so gently caress that noise.

Then, more cutscene.

You sure?

Oh yeah. We just saw 'em dock at that little island in the east.

Good. They're probably floundering about in this thick fog. Sneak up from where they can't see and finish 'em.

Sure thing, Boss.

You're going to regret that plan.

Eventually.

Nah, it's cool, I like killing bandits.

It isn't your responsibility, General Cecilia. Don't concern yourself.

By the way, I still like Roy, Roy is rad.

Even in Eturia people dislike how the high chancellor treats the Lycians as pawns.

Did you say chancellor...? My antagonist sense is tingling.

High chancellor? I thought the king made the decision to send us here.

Actually, he didn't. High Chancellor Roartz works closely with Lord Arcardo, the noble who heads the mining operations here in the Western Isles. They made the decision without consulting the king.

I hear this guy was originally called Alucard. Normally I'd say they made a good decision changing it, but that also means I can't be extremely lazy with his portrait. Woe.

They have that power? How?

...Did you hear of the tragedy that occurred in Eturia last year?

Of course. Prince Myrddin, next in line to be king, abruptly passed away last year.

"Apparently they found a note next to the body saying 'Definitely Not The Work Of Roartz'. It was very strange."

Yes, that's it.

I never had the honor to make his acquaintance. I understand that he was a very bright individual.

Yes... Were the prince alive, Eturia would surely not be in this sad shape.
King Mordred was overcome with sorrow when his son departed. The shock was so great that he has yet to recover. Of late, it seems he's always detached from reality. He pays no mind to anything happening around him or in the kingdom. Roartz is exploiting the king's condition for his own benefit. Now, he's essentially in charge of the goings-on in the palace. He keeps the three Eturian Generals, Perceval, Douglas, and myself, away from the king except in times of great urgency.

But what about when you came to our aid in Ostia?

That was an exception because I had Perceval behind me. But I'm sorry, I didn't have the clout to prevent this...

I don't blame you. We will return to Lycia as soon as we complete our mission here. But please, I only ask that you take care of Lycia in our absence.

You needn't ask. The Lycian League is in safe hands, as is Princess Guinivere.

The battles on these islands are likely to be ugly. I can't predict what might happen. You should stay in hiding in Eturia with General Cecilia's protection.

I know you want a truce to end this war. I will defend you no matter the cost.

I have a feeling we're setting Cecilia up for a Hector here. :ohdear:

...I understand. I'm truly sorry to trouble you.
Roy, I pray for your safety.

Thank you, Your Highness. I will pray for yours as well.

"Oh great spirit of Hector, please smite Guinivere's enemies, amen."

Anyway.

We have a bunch of EXP to collect, so let's get to it.

Also a sneakily hidden house right where we started.

You can't see him through all this fog, but he also has a girl with him...

This was about the time I went "oh poo poo I'm going to have to bring Sue aren't I".

As expected, the foul pirates break themselves against our invulnerable defences.

Well okay fine they do like 1 damage to our nearly invulnerable defences but that just doesn't have the same ring to it so shut up.

Roy can one-round pirates with his iron sword. Who's useless now, motherfucker?

And Dorothy gets to pick off the one who attacked Barth. I'm pretty glad I decided to stick with her!

Here's another house.

In the north and in the west, they're always engaged in battle. Which way will you go?

The way the plot takes me?

???

What?

First, we gotta deal with these asshats, though.

And if you still don't get the joke, ask your local comic book nerd to sperg out at you about the X-Men for like 20 minutes.

Actually on second thought I can't do that to you, please disregard previous advice.

Oh, Fir. Sorry to call you in.

What's going on out there?

The island is under attack by pirates. They've come to kill the people living here.

God drat it Fir you are the derpiest myrmidon.

I sent some guys over to try and stop them, but the pirates are very skilled. The outlook isn't good.

I can't believe it...

I'd like to fight them myself, but I can't leave this castle. Fir, I'm sorry, but can you go in my place?

Yes. I will go and purge the people of these pirates.

Yeah, thanks.

Leave them to my blade! Anyone who attacks innocent villagers will get no mercy from me!

I have someone you can work with too.

You do?

Yeah, He's a nomad named Shin. He's a little skinny, but he's a decent shot with his bow.

So Fir heads out, ready to dispense burning justice.

It was either that or rename him "Tibia", be grateful.

Yes. I heard everything from Scott. Let's go.

So, uh...

What?

Uh, are you here to protect the villagers like me?

No... I have no interest in such things.

Then why are you here?

I'm paid to fight. That's all.

This is awkward.

Right.

What brings you all the way out here?

Nothing special. You look like you're from Sacae yourself.

As for me, I'm traveling around Elibe to train myself, and... Oh, you didn't ask about me, did you...?

...Sigh.

...I'm looking for someone.

Who?

...My clan was crushed by Bern when they invaded Sacae.

Our chieftain had me escape and told me to find and protect his granddaughter. I'm still in search of her.

I see... Well, I hope you find her.

...Me too.

So that was a "yeah, definitely going to need Sue" kind of moment.

Meanwhile, back at the school for gifted youngsters...

I know what I'm doing. Once she's killed, we can take that sword she's carrying.

The sword? That weird one she has?

It's not just any weird sword. It's a Wo Dao, a famous blade from the east. It's worth a fortune. Heh heh...

Ohhh, I get it now. That's why you were so hospitable to her.

I couldn't do anything before, but now's our chance. I want you to follow her. Once she's finished, take the sword from her lifeless hands!

Sure thing, Boss!

Jesus gently caress how dumb can you get, you are a berserker and she is a level one myrmidon. You do not need to concoct an elaborate scheme to kill her, just hit her.

Anyway.

I may have made Noah slightly too OP.

Also this idiot tries picking a fight with Dorothy. It ends poorly for him.

Fast forward a couple of turns, nothing interesting happened. I'm pretty sure Chad can survive this.

Fir outta loving nowhere! Also this is why I did not bring Shanna.

I was right.

And Roy can't talk to Fir, so I'm glad I brought Noah.

Sir Noah?! What are you doing here?!

I joined this army back in Ostia... Whoa! What are you doing?! Sheathe your sword!

Sir Noah! You aren't the noble man I thought you were!

What?

I know you're a mercenary... But lending your services to pirates?! You should be ashamed!

...What?

Don't act like you don't know! You're working with pirates to attack the people living here! And you call yourself a knight?!

Hold on, I think there's been some kind of misunderstanding...

Misunderstanding?! You still have the nerve-

We're trying to help the villagers. Our goal is to defeat the head of the pirate group here. His name is Scott, I think.

What? Scott is the head of the pirates?

Sure is. If you don't believe me why don't you ask the pirate over there? The one behind you, hiding in the bushes.

Pirate? What pirate-?

No! Scott was very kind to me...

Really? The rumors say that he's a brute of a man...

Well, certainly, but...

...I was fighting for pirates this whole time... What should I do now?

Do you want to come with us?

Truly? Can I?

We're always looking for new recruits to bolster our strength. I'll talk to Roy for you.

Thank you!

Holy poo poo Fir is the embodiment of :downs:.

A shrub traveling around Elibe to hone her sword skills.

She is also a level one myrmidon with growths of HP 75, Str 25, Skl 50, Spd 55, Lck 50, Def 15, Res 20.

Rutger has 5% more HP, Str, and Def, and 10% more Skl. Fir has 5% more Spd and 20% more Lck. Knocking 1/6 off an already shaky strength growth is... probably not going to do her any favours and he has more than enough speed already that he doesn't care about her advantage there. Plus, he starts better at... everything but luck. Wow.

We are so using Fir because benching her would be on the same level as kicking a retarded puppy.

So about that Wo Dao.

43% crit. :lol:

wait shin stop what the gently caress are you doing

I've a good mind to turn you into experience points with all the rest of these assholes.

Fir can't even give him a piece of her mind, only a piece of her sword.

We'll have Sue recruit his dumb rear end.

Shin... What are you doing here?

I was looking for you.

For me? Why?

The chieftain told me to.

...What happened to the clan after I left?

We were no equal for Bern...

...We lost.

What happened to my grandfather?

He still continues the resistance against Bern...

Is that so...

:argh:

I was told by the chieftain to find and protect you.

Then you will fight alongside us?

With you?

This army is fighting against Bern, like my grandfather. They also saved my life.

Then of course. If that is what you desire, I am at your disposal.

Thank you.

A survivor of a Sacaen clan. Loyal to the Silver Wolf.

How many archers does this game think I need? Plus you use up way too much punctuation. I see a nice, cosy bench in your future, my boy.

Speaking of my boy, Roy crits this guy... on the second hit.

Okay, that's a fine way to make up for wasting a whole use of that killing edge.

Definitely maybe a little OP.

Barth is a little less OP. He'd be more scary if enemies tried to step on him, which is kind of funny if you're a certain kind of horrible nerd, not that I know anyone like that.

Barth javelin'd this guy so Ogier could take him out.

That's a merc-hog level all right.

And Lance takes out the merc next to Ogier and continues to get strength! Good man.

Now we're actually close enough to see this fucknugget, so let's check his

The leader of one of the brigand groups on the Western Isles.

...stats...

are you loving kidding me

okay so

Berserkers have a natural 30% crit chance. Which is hilarious when it's your berserker, but on an enemy? Kinda not so much fun.

Now granted this number is only true for close range, and 12 strength and a hand axe isn't that dangerous - but when he still has a 20ish % chance to crit anyone he hits with it? This guy can still one-shot most of our army. And we'll probably need to attack him more than five times to actually deal enough damage to kill him, so he has a pretty good chance to do it at least once.

With 12 speed, he can also two-shot anyone durable enough to stand up to one crit.

I guess you could rescue-drop people every round so he doesn't switch to range and just whittle him down over 48 turns or something? But somehow that seems even more tedious than loving Legance,

I think I'll probably just RNG abuse.

First though, there's a village down here and a couple of pathetic axe users who can't lay a finger or other body part on a cavalier with a sword.

That's Allen, in case you think all cavaliers look alike, you racist.

Meanwhile, Noah heads towards the buildings on the top right. Maybe kinda sorta OP.

Might as well let Shin in on the fun, too, since he's here. He comes with a short bow, which is... okay, I guess? 10% crit isn't really reliable enough to, uh, rely on, but it does deal damage.

Lance could deal with the pirates well enough, but taking out the mage cost him. Roy will go in and finish up for him. Because he can do that.

Roy is cool.

Those hit rates.

Ogier helps, too.

Chad takes a hit, but it's worth it.

I'll tell you what wasn't worth it, though.

Ogier could actually double the boss! ...for six damage a pop.

Noah might do a little more.

Yeah, definitely OP.

Fir wastes more Wo Dao uses.

Goddammit Fir.

Shin thinks he's being helpful, but really, it's just Noah soloing this entire island.

CRUNCH.

(Still worth it.)

Finally rid of the pirates, we can now visit the lower village!

They take everything from us. Resist, you say? It's of no use. They can do whatever they want because of their numbers. We can't fight against them like the resistance force.

Apparently the pirates haven't taken everything from them, because the guy gives Lance a silver sword he still can't use.

We're done with the enemies up here, too. Shopping spree!

More keys?

Chad finishes off the guy who clove his chest last turn. He's my only legit character who could double Scott. He gets a weapon rank, too, but don't get too excited, he's at D rank now.

Saul patches up the magic-inflicted injuries Allen took a few turns back.

Then suddenly pirates! ...to no one's great surprise, why else would there be completely inaccessible forts in the middle of the drink?

This one attacks Allen. Allen will fight like a dozen of these guys and not take a single hit.

We can't reach any pirates from here, so we'll just have Roy visit this hut.

In these conditions, you can never know if someone's waiting to pounce! Torches can be very useful, even if you have an eagle-eyed thief with you.

Thanks, but I think we're more or less done with the fog bit.

Dorothy will be soloing the pirates from the lower fort here. Even the ones that spawn with hand axes are having a really hard time hitting her.

...not this one, though, but she takes revenge.

The pirate has the last laugh.

It's okay, you did well last time, just don't make a habit of this.

More houses?

They're all deserting the Isles for the mainland. It's very sad, really. If you want to visit, you'd best do it quickly. You won't have time to go to both, so you'll have to decide.

What? Bullshit, I have like three people here, we can totally handle two villages in one turn!

While I ponder, though, let's risk Bors' life unnecessarily.

More pirates!

They were bad pirates.

But you must be in rough shape at least! I'll finish you off!

He will finish Bors if he hits twice and crits once, but Bors has a pretty good chance to live.

And if he doesn't, I'll reload my savestate.

Bite me.

I'm also going to savestate here and see which one of these gives me the nicest thing. And you know, that bow is nice, but we already have one that's still in good shape... and I've heard things about status staves.

Are you with the resistance? No? Then you just did it out of the goodness of your heart?
As I'm sure you've seen, these islands are swarming with pirates and bandits! There's nothing we can do out here, but word is the resistance is waging battle in the western part of the Isles. Tell them we'll all move to the mainland. They don't have to worry about us...

So I'll take the Restore staff.

Imagine this happening like 23 times. Now I don't have to post variations of this pic like 22 more times.

Risking Bors' life is... somewhat profitable. I guess.

How many pirates could you possibly need?

But they're good for EXP, and it turns out Dorothy didn't make a habit of her last level.

Ogier, meanwhile, kinda did.

Roy can one-round this guy with his iron sword.

(No, I'm not going to stop pointing that out.)

Chad has like a 4% chance to die, and Scott would heal most of the damage even if Chad survives to double. We will not do this.

Still more?

Yadda yadda pirates yadda EXP.

More?!

Roy-tastic. (This is actually another guy Roy one-rounded with his iron sword.)

Does it never end?!

EXP.

Roy can't one-round this guy with his iron sword, because it only has one use left. Sad.

This is getting repetitive.

Look, something new!

Of course. Do you expect me to lose to weaklings like these?

Scott could one-round you if he crits twice, just so you know.

No, never.

Then I won't ask you how you're doing. We knights of Ostia are always at our peak.

Yes, sir.

I appreciate your concern for me, but worry about yourself before you worry about others.

Yes, sir.

Those could be your last words, Barth. Are you okay with that?

Roy is out of iron sword, but he's closer to bigger and better things. That's a B rank.

These forts spawn so many loving pirates holy poo poo.

Unless you want to join Shin on the bench, get some loving strength.

Merc-hog, go!

:flashfap:

That's about a one in ten chance to lose Noah, or to reload my savestate.

Are you still not done?

And of course Scott heals because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Allen finally fails to dodge something because he's out of sword and stuck with weapon triangle disadvantage now.

He still profits.

Noah continues to technically but not really risk his life against Scott.

But it's Roy who gets to finish the job.

Who in Elibe... are you? You're no ordinary army...

Nope.

We're Roy's Boys.

And girls.

Mostly boys though.

I think the pirates stopped spawning now, not sure if it's because they finally ran out or because they're afraid to come out now that we've killed their boss. Sue gets an actually good level dealing with the second to last, and Ogier kills the last one but that wasn't very interesting so you don't get a picture.

And then we seize.

They must have known we were coming.

I think there's more to this than we realize...

You're right. Clearing out the bandits may be more difficult than expected. Ever since Bern's aggressive behavior started, Elibe has changed.

I don't even know what to expect... Dragons appearing, Bern's sudden invasion, the collapse of the Lycian League... Everything happened so suddenly. In the end I suppose all we can do is take it one problem at a time.

Now... Where do we go from here?

Let's head west.

West?

West!

I hear there's a resistance group based there. They're fighting the bandits to protect the villagers.

They may have information on what's going on in the Isles.

Indeed. We need a lead.

It seems like a sound idea, Lord Roy.

Then let's not waste time. Let's move west.

Roy is cool. Tune in next time for more Roy being cool. I guaran-loving-tee it.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread